Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Carbon Thief posted:

Looks like Bed Bath and Beyond has the same Cuisinart one for $32.99 CAD. Might order one myself.

Thanks, great find!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Anyone have experiences with small (3-4cup) food processors/choppers?

I'm thinking like Kitchenaid 3.5 cup chopper or similar.

Basically using to make sauces and the like for a meal (eg: pesto). I don't want a large unit that I have to haul out all the time. I had a blender but it died and never got enough real use anyways, so there's open counter space!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a small one and it works ok, just annoying to try and do large batches of pesto to freeze

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

unknown posted:

Anyone have experiences with small (3-4cup) food processors/choppers?

I'm thinking like Kitchenaid 3.5 cup chopper or similar.

Basically using to make sauces and the like for a meal (eg: pesto). I don't want a large unit that I have to haul out all the time. I had a blender but it died and never got enough real use anyways, so there's open counter space!

I bought the Cuisinart DLC-2ABC Mini Prep Plus something like 6 years ago when I needed a small food processor for the apartment. Still works just as well as it did when I bought it, and I still pull it out quite a bit even though I also have one of the 11 cup ones as well.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Kinfolk Jones posted:

I bought the Cuisinart DLC-2ABC Mini Prep Plus something like 6 years ago when I needed a small food processor for the apartment. Still works just as well as it did when I bought it, and I still pull it out quite a bit even though I also have one of the 11 cup ones as well.

I had this one too, worked great for 4-5 years before I finally blew out the motor because I got lazy and tried to make a curry paste with a lot of lemon grass in it. I replaced it with a larger one, but I still miss the convenience of the little one. Its great for small batches of hummus / pesto / whatever.

If you think the size will work for you, go for it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
recs for enameled dutch ovens? i need a big one, at least 6QTs and light inside color finish only

i finally got a chip on my 10 year old martha stewart one so i'll retire it.

as much as i'd like a le cruset the prices are nuts

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

recs for enameled dutch ovens? i need a big one, at least 6QTs and light inside color finish only

I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074RF63WS and it's great if you can find one - flat as anything and not a single scratch even though I've dropped the thing a half dozen times and carted a bunch of silverware wrapped in newspaper in it when I moved halfway across the country. Cuisinart does a good one too. If you're not iffy about Lodge (they used to rely on prison labor, it turned some folks I know against them hard) Cooks Illustrated rated Lodge's dutch oven second best, just behind le cruset.

e: Struck through inaccurate information that derailed the thread. Apologies, I shouldn't have spoken without checking, Lodge cookware seems to be totally fine.

Wungus fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 4, 2018

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm starting to think my lovely glass top stove heats so unevenly it's warping pans. I've had a decent carbon steel pan, a number of lovely aluminum stock pots and an all clad pan all develop varying degrees of wobble within the past two months or so. Is this a thing? Or should I be looking for some other cause.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

ALDI occasionally sells exactly what you’re looking for, usually around $30 USD.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Whalley posted:

I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074RF63WS and it's great if you can find one - flat as anything and not a single scratch even though I've dropped the thing a half dozen times and carted a bunch of silverware wrapped in newspaper in it when I moved halfway across the country. Cuisinart does a good one too. If you're not iffy about Lodge (they used to rely on prison labor, it turned some folks I know against them hard) Cooks Illustrated rated them second best, just behind le cruset.

lol no longer available

also, neber compromise

also, more good rebiews

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I set up an alert on slickdeals to score my Le Creuset (and my All-Clad, Wusthof, etc.) on the cheap. My latest "this is incredibly stupid at full price but ayyy that's a good sale" were those Staub pumpkins. Can report they're cute as hell.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sextro posted:

I'm starting to think my lovely glass top stove heats so unevenly it's warping pans. I've had a decent carbon steel pan, a number of lovely aluminum stock pots and an all clad pan all develop varying degrees of wobble within the past two months or so. Is this a thing? Or should I be looking for some other cause.

Glass top will cause warping due to metal expansion, yes, but it shouldn't really exist beyond the cooking session.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Have you been running water over your hot pans? It's fun to do but it warps them.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Glass top will cause warping due to metal expansion, yes, but it shouldn't really exist beyond the cooking session.

It's started to last beyond cooking sessions to varying degrees depending on the quality of the pan.

No Wave posted:

Have you been running water over your hot pans? It's fun to do but it warps them.

No. Well yes, but not the ones I'm complaining about.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
If your pans are warped, it’s probably because they were heated or cooled too quickly too many times. Warping comes from mismatched thermal strain, which is exacerbated by rapid changes in temperature.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

also, more good rebiews
hell yeah my dutch oven gets only the best rebiews i lobe it it's suitabie for ALL cooking

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Whalley posted:

hell yeah my dutch oven gets only the best rebiews i lobe it it's suitabie for ALL cooking

Now I logged in to this post!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Whalley posted:

If you're not iffy about Lodge (they used to rely on prison labor, it turned some folks I know against them hard) Cooks Illustrated rated them second best, just behind le cruset.

:stare: I had never heard this and just tried to look it up. I didn't find anything specific about Lodge, but one article I did find mentioned that apparently all the tilapia sold by Whole Foods comes out of Colorado prisons.

So a company that boasts about carrying all these free-range foods is selling product made by non-free-range people. And because you can say "product of the USA" on the label, consumers feel even better about their purchase. Blech.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That ended in 2015 https://www.denverpost.com/2015/09/30/whole-foods-will-no-longer-sell-fish-produced-by-colorado-prisoners/

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

:stare: I had never heard this and just tried to look it up. I didn't find anything specific about Lodge, but one article I did find mentioned that apparently all the tilapia sold by Whole Foods comes out of Colorado prisons.
Yeah I just tried to search for it actually (usually said friends don't say this kinda poo poo without evidence) but I can't find anything on Lodge. Columbus Hollowware Co was a prison labor cast iron manufacturer, but that's a different group. The worst I can find on Lodge is way loving back when, they deliberately hired un-unionized black people to work in the forge to bust up union strikes - but that's a different story from a significantly older time. I'll ask for more information from my buds next time I see them.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Reportedly, the US chicken industry is heavily subsidized by penal labor: https://www.revealnews.org/article/they-thought-they-were-going-to-rehab-they-ended-up-in-chicken-plants/

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Ah, thanks for the correction!* Still, the article I read was an eye-opener about how many products are made by prison labor, which is basically indentured servitude, if not slave labor. Apparently all your US-made buffalo mozzarella comes from Colorado prisons, too (unless that's changed as well).

Sorry for the brief derail, but as a former inmate who now cooks for a living, I have Strong Feelings about these subjects.

*Fake edit: totally did not mean to make a pun-like joke about "correctional facilities" there, but I'll roll with it

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Ah, thanks for the correction!* Still, the article I read was an eye-opener about how many products are made by prison labor, which is basically indentured servitude, if not slave labor. Apparently all your US-made buffalo mozzarella comes from Colorado prisons, too (unless that's changed as well).

Sorry for the brief derail, but as a former inmate who now cooks for a living, I have Strong Feelings about these subjects.

*Fake edit: totally did not mean to make a pun-like joke about "correctional facilities" there, but I'll roll with it

Fun fact: Slavery is specifically allowed for prisoners, per the 13th amendment

13th amendment posted:

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Fun fact: Slavery is specifically allowed for prisoners, per the 13th amendment

Yeah, prison labor is 100% slave labor, except (usually) instead of simple beatings if the slaves don't work, it's mental torture instead. It would be very difficult for slave-owners in the past to approach the level of cruelty present and accepted in the US prison system, because they actually needed work out of the slaves.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Forgive my ignorance, that's something I've always wondered. What if the prisoners just don't work? What's the consequence for them? I'm sure it's something horrible, I just don't know what it is?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Croatoan posted:

Forgive my ignorance, that's something I've always wondered. What if the prisoners just don't work? What's the consequence for them? I'm sure it's something horrible, I just don't know what it is?

Removing all basic human contact for months or even years at a time.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think it's more that they don't get credits towards things like extra items of food, books, cigarettes, playing cards, etc etc.

e: Sorry I meant here in Canada.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 4, 2018

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VelociBacon posted:

I think it's more that they don't get credits towards things like extra items of food, books, cigarettes, playing cards, etc etc.

Sweet summer child etc. But this is the kitchen equipment thread. Kitchen equipment in prison sucks and good luck trying to improve the meal prep in any way.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I'm sorry for continuing this derail, but: bear in mind that US inmates, whether it's jail or prison, pay for their stay. I had absolutely no opportunity to work and make money (believe me, I would've loved to work kitchen or laundry, just to have something to do), and paid a daily fee for living there. Yes, we pay to be incarcerated, and most of us had no way to make money; and even if you did get paid, most of that goes straight back to the jail/prison/courts to pay off y legal fees and whatnot. And the for-profit facilities, like the one I spent 2 months at, don't get US taxpayer money to support them, so anyone saying "mah tax dollars, supportin' dem criminals!" can gently caress right off.

Ugh. Again I apologize for the derail, but I feel the need to educate folks on how this poo poo works.

Can we go back to InstantPot chat now? This is totally bringing me down.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

BraveUlysses posted:

I got a cheap as heck no name Chinese one for like $10. It's fine.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

Lodge is good

Amazon basics also has one for $15 or so less than Lodge
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073Q9WV8S/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'm in the market to finally upgrade from my cheapo bamboo cutting board to something better, now that I invested in a nice knife (see below!)

I was looking around just to find a nice end grain maple (not stuck on maple) or something but had a coworker suggest I look at a Japanese rubber board like this: https://www.mtckitchen.com/asahi-rubber-cutting-board-0-75-thick/

Anyone have any thoughts about those cutting boards? (For cost-performance considerations, I can get them ~30% cheaper than what's on the MTC site.)
Will also take recommendations on a traditional wood cutting board. Would like something somewhat larger, thicker, but not too heavy to move - I plan to put it away when not in use.

Also, here's my new knife!

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Since you have a Japanese knife anyway, I thought I’d mention that I got a hinoki cutting board and surprisingly love it. Still wood, but super light and very forgiving on your knives. It works sort of the opposite of other wood boards: you don’t oil it, you wet it thoroughly before each use and let it dry standing up before putting it away. Also, they’re cheap (and end grain doesn’t seem to be a Thing).

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Good coffee grinders for grinding spices?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

The Cuisinart spice grinder is good at grinding spices.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Get a hand crank burr grinder from amazon.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Lawnie posted:

Get a hand crank burr grinder from amazon.

Not a bad suggestion. I’ve had mine for 6 years or so. Once you get it dialed in it’s very good. Along with an AreoPress.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

Not a bad suggestion. I’ve had mine for 6 years or so. Once you get it dialed in it’s very good. Along with an AreoPress.

I had one that eventually fell apart from taking it down to piece-part level to clean, but they’re cheap and you can have one for spices and another for coffee

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I use a rubber cutting board and it’s basically perfect. Practically indestructible, easy to clean, antimicrobial, affordable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What's the difference between a spice grinder and a mortar and pestle for dry spices?