Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

C-Euro posted:

If a recruiter has called you once or twice a year for a couple years about a given role at a given company, and then talks about how he's placed six people at that company (presumably all in the same/related roles, though I'm not 100% sure on that), does that make you think rapid company expansion or rapid turnover in that role/department? Got an interview tomorrow for just that and the fact that the recruiter has gone silent since scheduling the interview tells me that he's either supremely confident in my application or he just wants to bring as many people in to interview at this place as he can, and obviously one of those possibilities is better than the other.

Hard to say because you mostly should never believe what a recruiter says.

I mean, they can be really useful and can really help people land career-altering jobs, but you still should not believer them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
it could be either or could be both but you can find out if you interview there!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah I'm taking everything I hear from this dude with a grain of salt, especially since this is the fourth or fifth time he and I have spoken about this role in the last couple of years (but the first time they've wanted to interview me on-site). Just feeling a little slighted since most recruiters I've worked with will at least check in on me the day before an interview, but he:a ghosted since sending me the calendar invite. Definitely going to ask about growth and turnover when I get there tomorrow.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, agree with this, although honestly I'm reading between the lines of that email that the HR person is trying to tell you, as delicately as possible, " psssst, you don't really want to work here." Maybe I'm over-reading that, though.

I can see why you would think that, I don't think its unfounded. Though with context, it looks to be more of a "we put out too many job postings at once" or a "the other teams took up all the hiring budget" type thing which aren't necessarily red flags.

They don't pay well, according to indeed/glassdoor, but whatever. Would only matter if they gave me an offer anyways.

Just as I was writing this up I got an invitation for an interview for a better paying place, anyways.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
This interview stuff is more tiring then actual work. I’ve had three interviews this week. The last one was over two hours! First a panel then about an 30 minutes with the IT director and another 30+ with the CIO.

I’m not used to interviews going so long. Chances are I may have that one in the Bag but You can never be too sure with interviews though.

I’m trying to relax today and I have an interview tomorrow. But I’m already getting restless. I think I’ll put in more applications tonight.

The one rule I’ve learned is that more interviews = greater chance of landing a job.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

we subject our people to a take home case study that takes like two or three hours, then about a half day of in person stuff

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

Maybe, but I just want a job that I enjoy and that pays a good sum of money for a long period of time why is that so haaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrddddd.

Interview went well enough, the hiring manager and I hit it off really well and I think my skills really complement her own, but I think they suspected that I'm not 100% sure that I want the job like I said. If nothing else, they want to make a decision in the next week or two so one way or another I'll know soon!

E: Also for the second interview in a row, I had someone talk about something specific on the second page of my resume. Make sure that second page is just as good as the first!

Welp, my gut feeling of "they seem kind of lukewarm on me" was accurate as I was just informed that I didn't get the position :( Oh well, I was kind of lukewarm on it too.

How weird would I look if I reached out to the hiring manager and asked for feedback on what I could improve in my interview game? Is that a thing people have successfully asked after being turned down?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If they're smart, they won't give you anything. If they aren't smart, why do you want their feedback?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

C-Euro posted:

Welp, my gut feeling of "they seem kind of lukewarm on me" was accurate as I was just informed that I didn't get the position :( Oh well, I was kind of lukewarm on it too.

How weird would I look if I reached out to the hiring manager and asked for feedback on what I could improve in my interview game? Is that a thing people have successfully asked after being turned down?

I don't agree with Kyoon that most hirers are trying to be secretive or combative in the hiring practices. I've replied to people who've asked that, other times I ignored it because I had other stuff. I don't think it's weird to ask but at best it's a 50/50 shot they'd reply.

If you were lukewarm on them that's probably why it was a no-go. It's usually pretty obvious when someone isn't super into a job they are interviewing for.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's not about being secretive or combative in hiring practices, it's about not giving any sort of information that could somehow be used against your company if the interviewee claims discrimination.

It's not the interviewer's job to help you out with your interviewing skills.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's not about being secretive or combative in hiring practices, it's about not giving any sort of information that could somehow be used against your company if the interviewee claims discrimination.

Ding ding ding

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah I figured. The recruiter obviously wasn't helpful either. "They liked speaking with you and it sounded like there wasn't any problems with your interview!" Yeah well I can think of one, lady.

Whatever. I definitely felt better walking out of yesterday's interview but the hiring manager said that I'm one of 12 people they're talking to about the role, which was kind of demoralizing to hear. As it turns out, job hunting loving blows!

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I know for a fact the job I wanted the hiring manager did a reference check on one of my references today. I know the reference well and they let me know this information. I don't quite want to call the others I used as references and find out how their calls went because. I think this information from one is enough? The reference the HM called also holds the highest position of references I'm using.

In my mind if the hiring manager is calling references that's very good because they are obviously showing the next level of interest. Do have this right? I am getting tempted to call my two other references tomorrow and make sure they got the call and ask how it went but I think I'm just worrying too much and need to let the process be.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 28, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dude calm down

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Calling references is a good sign, but they might be calling references for a couple people. Just sit tight, nothing you can really do at this point so don't kill yourself trying to watch this pot boil.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
In the interview I had last week that turned me down yesterday, they asked me to bring a list of references to the interview and asked for them during the interview. I don't think it's worth thinking about why they called your references right now (that or my references all secretly hate me).

VV Yeah this. And that way if/when you do get a callback it's a nice surprise!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 28, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ask a manager has the correct advice on this stuff: when you conclude the interview, send a quick follow up thank you, and then walk away and assume you haven't gotten the job

otherwise you will drive yourself completely insane

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
You're completely correct. I know, I made the mistake of getting excited about that job. This job hunting process must be emotionless and by the numbers only. I'm spending the weekend forgetting about it and doing something fun.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
After a couple months of sending resumes for NYC positions, I'm finally here on a trip and only managed to get one onsite interview. I was very overdressed and though I felt it went well enough I was given a no today via e-mail without any reasons given.

Just sharing.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Goobish posted:

I just started reading this thread and didn't realize it was still active. So I'm applying for an internal posting, a promotion, but it is for a different department. I've been rabidly refreshing on resume and interviewing, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any good resources or advice for something like this? I'm not worried about an interview as much as I am about making a good resume. I have to convince them that my skills are effective for this different department.

So I got the interview for this and thank God I was optimistic because I had one weekend to buy I suit and two days to tailor it because the interview is tomorrow! (And no I've never owned a suit before but now was the time.) Suit is ready, I of course am sick today and can't stop making GBS threads, so things are going to go awesome I think.

I know some advise was given previously and I took what I could. I talked with the person who previously had the position, took her out for lunch. She was super nice and without me asking printed me up a list of the job duties.

I even prepared some cool poo poo to take with me to the interview and show them BUT yesterday in a very fast decision I took the stuff to a committee meeting (one I would potentially be in charge of) and only a boss and I showed up lol. So we chatted and I showed her my ideas. She loving loved it and kept talking about how "the next person hired" was going to have all this stuff to work on that I showed her. She took my folder I had made to make copies for everyone. Lol. I suspect she'll be on the interview panel, and if not she is right next to the person who will be.

So if there's any solid advice for my interview tomorrow I'm all ears. They all know me yes, it's a small place, but I just don't interact with them often.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Sounds like you're in good shape. Take it easy, be relaxed and reference the stuff you've done and try to control your making GBS threads to a reasonable degree.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I did not get that job but it was good lesson for me. NEVER become invested in the results of job interviews. Until an offer letter is in hand my only thought should be when is my next interview and what am I doing to get one.

I'm wondering how long this search will take me. I have about 3 years experience. I'm hoping within 3 months.

Goobish posted:

So I got the interview for this and thank God I was optimistic because I had one weekend to buy I suit and two days to tailor it because the interview is tomorrow! (And no I've never owned a suit before but now was the time.) Suit is ready, I of course am sick today and can't stop making GBS threads, so things are going to go awesome I think.

What industry are you in? I'm in IT, normally I'll just wear a nice dress shirt with a tie and slacks. I will only wear a suit if I know the company is conservative or if the recruiter recommends I wear one.

Anyway good for you. Suits will come in handy for many other things besides interviews so it's a good investment.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

DropsySufferer posted:

I did not get that job but it was good lesson for me. NEVER become invested in the results of job interviews. Until an offer letter is in hand my only thought should be when is my next interview and what am I doing to get one.
100%. No matter how well you think the interview went, it means nothing until an offer comes in. Don’t take it personally.

It takes a while to learn it but when you do it changes your outlook on what you can accomplish. Never settle.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean professional interviewers, even if they decide five minutes in (or, as happens more often than you might think, before the interview) that they're not hiring this guy, won't yawn and stare at their phones and slip into a drab monotone voice. They'll complete the rest of the interview in a positive and professional manner and conclude with a handshake and smile and a "thanks a ton for your time, it was great talking to you, we'll be in touch shortly" before forgetting the interviewee ever existed before the interviewee has made it all the way out of the building. To the extent professional interviewers have tells that they aren't interested in this applicant, unless you've got a hundred interviews under your belt you won't know how to spot them.

So yes, assume you're not getting the job until you receive an offer and shift focus to the next interview. The other important benefit of this mindset is that, for negotiating purposes, it's very nice to end up with multiple offers.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

So I just had a great interview with a small firm and they said they wanted to hire me. The odd thing was they asked me what the next steps should be, so I said lunch. I didn't really know *what* to say, but we are having lunch next Wednesday. A person who was just hired at my company came from there, so I'm eating lunch with him on Friday to get his perspective on the company and ask him questions.

I have no idea how to prepare or what to talk about on Wednesday. I am currently making $64K a year but I am up for promotion to push it to $70K. The truth is I have a pretty cushy and safe job and I don't really want to change it for anything less than $75K. I really want $80K. I was not expecting to be this excited about new prospect prior to the call.

What should I expect at lunch? How should I negotiate? Help!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

"Up for promotion" is very emphatically not the same thing as "promoted" unless you're in a rigid government position where it's contractually guaranteed.

There's a negotiation thread in this very forum which you should read the OP of!

Goobish
May 31, 2011

So just got out of my interview. Not sure how I did, but I was successful at Not making GBS threads my pants.

Question: if they call me back and offer me the job, do the same rules of salary negotiation apply to an internal position?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yes with the caveat that you have somewhat less power, probably

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Goobish posted:

So just got out of my interview. Not sure how I did, but I was successful at Not making GBS threads my pants.

Question: if they call me back and offer me the job, do the same rules of salary negotiation apply to an internal position?

You should try.

Be aware though, for internal moves its MUCH more likely that their hands will be tied about salary. I've been at companies where when hiring internally I could set a new salary, I've been at companies where all they looked at was what "Tier" they were classified in, and if it was a move up they just got the standard raise. So try to negotiate something, but if the new manager says "I can't do anything" they probably are not bullshitting.

Low & mid-level managers usually have far less say on salary than people think they do.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You have much less leverage on an internal move for the simple reason that they know what your current compensation package is without having to try to drag it out of you. You can't bluff as to your BATNA, they know exactly what your BATNA is.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

You have much less leverage on an internal move for the simple reason that they know what your current compensation package is without having to try to drag it out of you. You can't bluff as to your BATNA, they know exactly what your BATNA is.

Eh, my most recent transfer I didn't really care about his previous compensation. I wanted to make sure I paid him enough to stay, not just enough to leave. A good manager will still want to know your expectations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

My new job needs an updated resume that includes my work with them, to send to a prospective client who is demanding resumes from all to-be-involved employees as part of our pitch. This is super weird as all resumes are ofc bullshit sales documents and I'm not accustomed to handing my bullshit to the actual person whose company I'm bullshitting about.

Anyway, I'm having difficulty fitting the new poo poo in without cutting some other essentials. Body text is currently size 12 Verdana. How much smaller can I go?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Managed to keep the text at size 12 by making some small tweaks to other content. Still interested to hear what you guys think about min text size though.

Here is the updated version. I would really appreciate some feedback before I send this to my boss tomorrow evening.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

Managed to keep the text at size 12 by making some small tweaks to other content. Still interested to hear what you guys think about min text size though.

Here is the updated version. I would really appreciate some feedback before I send this to my boss tomorrow evening.

Looks pretty good to me, especially for what you're sending it in for (which is BS and probably won't be used for anything). If you go job hunting in the future don't be afraid to go to 2 pages if you think there's enough stuff. This is a good example of listing accomplishments so if you feel like you're not just cutting fat out I'd consider it.

For this exercise though you're probably good.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Unsinkabear posted:

I'm far from an expert, but I would organize your skills into grouped bullet points. Maybe organized into more technical tools, social media platforms, something else? Things like 'Python' seem really good to highlight, but at the moment it's a bit hard for any individual one to stand out.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
If it’s just for BS it looks fine. If it were a real resume
just from a quick glance the date formatting could be better.

04/17- Now

Vs

2017 to present

The second choice looks more professional compared to NOW. Removing the month makes it appear as though you have worked the position longer which is always good.

Really just change the NOW to present it’s more welcoming.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I agree that for a BS document at work that's probably fine. You don't actually day what your role was for any of the jobs apart from the job title - which never means all that much anyway. If it is going to be used to get you better work I think you should include a one-line job description.

I think you could go down to 11pt text as well if you want more space.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I just want a loving job....

Edit: I'm sorry, I'm just really stressed out and depressed that I haven't found a job in six months and my last job ended with a severe anxiety attack. Just really wish I could get back on my feet but nothing is working. :(

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 4, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Waffleopolis posted:

I just want a loving job....

Edit: I'm sorry, I'm just really stressed out and depressed that I haven't found a job in six months and my last job ended with a severe anxiety attack. Just really wish I could get back on my feet but nothing is working. :(

Where are you, what are you looking for, and what are your qualifications?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Lockback posted:

Where are you, what are you looking for, and what are your qualifications?

Richmond, KY; Anything: I got a Bachelor's in Statistics in 2012