Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
WoF blocks basically everything, so you'd just end up angrily staring at each other. There's probably something in 5e that doesn't require LoE or visual targeting, but I don't know of anything offhand.

e: Sacred Flame might, since RAW it ignores all cover.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

dreadmojo posted:

Are casters as supreme in 5e as they were in 3.5? Doesn't feel like it in my limited experience of 6ish sessions playing an illusionist. The concentration mechanic seems an effective constraint which previous editions didn't have (4th had 'devote a minor action to maintaining', not sure about 3.5). Using slots also means you can 'power up' spells, at the expense of missing out on the fancy high level spells which is a nice tradeoff that wasn't possible with earlier versions.

Note you're a newbie playing the weakest archetype of the next-to-weakest full caster (until they explode around 11).

And also that the best martial is a half-caster.

Elysiume posted:

WoF blocks everything, so you'd just end up angrily staring at each other.

You trap him in there with you. His multiple escape mechanisms are Strahds most valuable asset - without that you just burst through his HP, and if he's far enough from his coffin then he'll just die.

Alternatively you fry him from the outside with the sunsword as I suggested a couple days ago.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 4, 2018

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Ah, I've never played CoS so I assumed in a toe-to-toe fight he'd best the party until lategame. Probably shouldn't be commenting on it as much, given that.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tzirean posted:

That's what I'm going for, but I'm really bad at putting together encounters in an open, anything-goes kind of layout (like traveling or being in the Feywild) vs. a more linear dungeon-esque layout, where there might be multiple paths but there's an entrance, an end and a direction of travel.

Make a big map, put some terrain and a couple important things on it, let the PCs travel.

I had my PCs travel the ruins of an underground underdark city (at 1sq=120ft scale) this session and set up these:

-A couple combat encounters. Not random encounters that you roll on a table for, but stuff that actually makes sense given the plot (PCs fought a zombie horde that was interrupted halfway through by the appearance of a bulette)
-10-ish small encounters to establish the tone of the place (PCs found a dismembered zombie lying in the ruins and groaning at them)
-A couple things that allude to the plot of this place (PCs saw a cloaked, masked figure in the distance who ran away from them)

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 4, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Conspiratiorist posted:

Note you're a newbie playing the weakest archetype of the next-to-weakest full caster (until they explode around 11).

That's fair, I've also been picking stuff for flavour and not bothering much with self defence so i go down most fights, which means i probably have an exaggerated idea of how frail i am.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fruity20 posted:

that makes.

no wonder i might not roll for a cleric or wizard anytime soon.

Once you get to the back half of levels you will never meaningfully come close to running out of spell slots.

Mid-to-high level wizard spells are just that drat good. Always have been.

By Lv. 15+ you will have effectively made the fighters obsolete beyond being hindering terrain to keep monsters in your AOEs.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 4, 2018

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i very recently came to understood that suggestion has in-combat applications, 11 levels in. gently caress

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Farg posted:

Member of a middling jazz band struggling to pay off debts to one of the seedier factions, you feel that your musical genius should have earned you a better place in the world and that you are under appreciated, and you are bitter against society because of it

Name him Lido.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

Once you get to the back half of levels you will never meaningfully come close to running out of spell slots.

Mid-to-high level wizard spells are just that drat good. Always have been.

By Lv. 15+ you will have effectively made the fighters obsolete beyond being hindering terrain to keep monsters in your AOEs.

By 11 you should be rocking an elemental buddy (magic circle + conjure elemental + planar binding). At 13 you can produce a duplicate of yourself during downtime, for when you truly need to go all out, or just loaded with a different spell set so you can diversify more.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Elysiume posted:

WoF blocks basically everything, so you'd just end up angrily staring at each other. There's probably something in 5e that doesn't require LoE or visual targeting, but I don't know of anything offhand.

e: Sacred Flame might, since RAW it ignores all cover.

sacred flame just doesn't allow cover to help the save, pretty sure that wouldn't work.

3.5/PF had a higher level version of daylight that was literally just "the sun is up, it affects anything with sun aversions normally", does anything like that still exist? Don't know that a WoF would protect him from the sun coming up

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
The daylight spell is specifically just light, not the sun. Sunburst is a much higher level spell that does a bunch of damage and also is specifically sunlight, but if you can cast 8th level spells you aren't too worried about Strahd probably.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Azhais posted:

sacred flame just doesn't allow cover to help the save, pretty sure that wouldn't work.
Yeah, I was misinterpreting some quoted sage advice posts.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Azhais posted:

3.5/PF had a higher level version of daylight that was literally just "the sun is up, it affects anything with sun aversions normally", does anything like that still exist? Don't know that a WoF would protect him from the sun coming up

Flamestrike might work? The spell doesn't say anything about projectiles, targets, or line of sight; you designate a cylinder and it gets torched.

By all logical reasoning, Fireball shouldn't work, since it's always described as a ball of fire that flies out and explodes. Strictly speaking, however, the spell only specifies an area of choice and not a line of sight/effect or target. Ask your DM?

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

tzirean posted:

2) A jaunt into the Feywild to help the warlock's patron (the Queen of Air and Darkness has proposed a temporary full truce with the Seelie court because the Unseelie court is too busy fighting off the Far Realm themselves).

Are there any premade modules that would cover either of these above? Even a good 4e module that I could steal the points from and sub in monsters for?

Here's a free Feywild module you could adapt.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm convinced Yuan-Ti don't have +dex because someone said "Snake Attack" once too often.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Azhais posted:

Most of those spells also specifically don't work as expected in Ravenloft.

The setting legitimately cheats to maintain horror tropes.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Elysiume posted:

Ah, I've never played CoS so I assumed in a toe-to-toe fight he'd best the party until lategame. Probably shouldn't be commenting on it as much, given that.

You might be suprised how low level the party could stomp him at if you just played it as a straight fight. The Action Economy is a hell of an equaliser, especially if the players have some of their burst damage options still (Smite, Action Surge etc) .

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

Most of those spells also specifically don't work as expected in Ravenloft.

The setting legitimately cheats to maintain horror tropes.

I haven't played any version of that module post second edition, so it's been a while.

I do recall it going out of it's way to be weird

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"Sneak Attack" being a misnomer isn't really 5e's fault: it was named such by as early as at least 3e, and it was done so because the earlier (pre-WOTC) incarnation of it for Thieves was "Backstab", which literally only worked if both the target was unaware of you/you were attacking from stealth, and you were specifically stabbing them in the back. That was so much worse because for the most part it only worked once during a combat, and only if you had set it up exactly right.

Its name was changed to "Sneak Attack" to reflect that it would instead be activated whenever the target was flanked, or whenever the target was "denied the Dexterity bonus to AC", which covered instances where the Rogue was stealthed, or even during the first round of combat (the target was "flat-footed").

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Sneak Attack" being a misnomer isn't really 5e's fault: it was named such by as early as at least 3e, and it was done so because the earlier (pre-WOTC) incarnation of it for Thieves was "Backstab", which literally only worked if both the target was unaware of you/you were attacking from stealth, and you were specifically stabbing them in the back. That was so much worse because for the most part it only worked once during a combat, and only if you had set it up exactly right.

Its name was changed to "Sneak Attack" to reflect that it would instead be activated whenever the target was flanked, or whenever the target was "denied the Dexterity bonus to AC", which covered instances where the Rogue was stealthed, or even during the first round of combat (the target was "flat-footed").

I'm pretty sure you could backstab in 2E with a mace or club, too, although it's been a while since I last checked.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The real terror of Ravenloft is the risk of watching your GM go mad with power when given the slightest excuse.

"Well, at least I can literally summon the sun-"
"DARK POWERS"
"Well, at least since I'm immune to disease I can't be turned into a werewolf-"
"DARK POWERS"

Also for all the talk about Strahd, or Soth. What really stands out to me from my memories of my AD&D Ravenloft book is that there was a Darksun zone in Ravenloft.

"Behold, Barovia! The worse possible place! An eternal ironic prison for-"
"Oh thank GOD!"
"...What?"
"I mean. Yes, this is clearly the worst possible place. The one where the sun has trouble killing me me-I mean, vampires"

...drat. While going even farther away from horror. Now I'm thinking about fending off Mad Max style lycanthropes in "Silver? We don't even have copper!" desert combat and having to work around "In RAW are lycanthropes unable to harm eachother?" by fashioning weaponry out of their claws and teeth.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 4, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Lord Soth was the niceguy insert from Dragonlance that finally got his dreamgirl (cause she dead and he freaky) and then he got dragged to Shitsylvania (because ~~edgelord book sales~~) so he could be even hipper and edgier there, right?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Lord Soth was not really a nice guy, Lawful Evil in a pack of folks who were Neutral Evil at very best, but still basically Darth Vader.

Cursed with undeath because he was an evil son of a bitch who had one of his wives killed to get a new wife and then killed his new wife because he thought she was cheating on him... blowing his chance to redeem himself by sacrificing himself to prevent the end of the world.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
so i'm looking through the rules (part about proficiency bonus) and the RAW state that a bonus doesn't apply to one die. so, supposing that I wanted to calm my horse down, this requires animal handling and possibly charmsia? I don't know if i'm either lost or the book may not have been straightforward in terms of examples, correct me if i'm wrong.

here's the quote in question:

quote:

Your proficiency bonus can’t be added to a single die roll or other number more than once. Occasionally, your proficiency bonus might be modified (doubled or halved, for example) before you apply it. If a circumstance suggests that your proficiency bonus applies more than once to the same roll or that it should be multiplied more than once, you nevertheless add it only once, multiply it only once, and halve it only once.

Fruity20 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 4, 2018

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Gearhead posted:

Lord Soth was not really a nice guy, Lawful Evil in a pack of folks who were Neutral Evil at very best, but still basically Darth Vader.

Cursed with undeath because he was an evil son of a bitch who had one of his wives killed to get a new wife and then killed his new wife because he thought she was cheating on him... blowing his chance to redeem himself by sacrificing himself to prevent the end of the world.

no.................not a pleasant individual............a "niceguy" https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Nice%20Guy

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Fruity20 posted:

so i'm looking through the rules (part about proficiency bonus) and the RAW state that a bonus doesn't apply to one die. so, supposing that I wanted to calm my horse down, this requires animal handling and possibly charmsia? I don't know if i'm either lost or the book may not have been straightforward in terms of examples, correct me if i'm wrong.

here's the quote in question:

Animal Handling is a part of Wisdom, see page 178.

I believe that you may be misreading that rule though. It doesn't say that proficiency doesn't apply to one die, it says that it doesn't apply to one die roll more than once. So for example, if you're trying to be a veterinarian who has both Animal Handling and Medicine, you still only get your proficiency bonus once; you don't get it to add it twice.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

Sage Genesis posted:

Animal Handling is a part of Wisdom, see page 178.

I believe that you may be misreading that rule though. It doesn't say that proficiency doesn't apply to one die, it says that it doesn't apply to one die roll more than once. So for example, if you're trying to be a veterinarian who has both Animal Handling and Medicine, you still only get your proficiency bonus once; you don't get it to add it twice.

yeah that seems to be right. so just add one modifier on a dice roll and that's it? no stacks, no nothing. (again, sorry for asking that question, dnd confuses me sometimes)

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Fruity20 posted:

yeah that seems to be right. so just add one modifier on a dice roll and that's it? no stacks, no nothing. (again, sorry for asking that question, dnd confuses me sometimes)

Yes, that's right.

What does get slightly confusing though is that sometimes, you modifier your Proficiency bonus. For example, Rogues and Bards can select some skills and their Proficiency bonus is considered twice the normal number. So... you still don't add Proficiency twice, instead you augment the Proficiency number itself and then add that once. This is not exactly elegant or transparent, because in essence they're really just breaking their own rule by playing around with semantics. But hey, 5e. It is what it is.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Madmarker posted:

no.................not a pleasant individual............a "niceguy" https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Nice%20Guy

I suppose this depends on if you view his hauling off of an evil character's body after they die, it having already been established he's an obsessive monster, as more purely him being a creepy, obsessive monster or more as the narrative punishment of said previously living evil character for their crimes in life. Him hauling her off to his tower full of dead things was a fairly obvious outcome (and, imo, would've been a good hook for a future adventure).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Section Z posted:

The real terror of Ravenloft is the risk of watching your GM go mad with power when given the slightest excuse.

"Well, at least I can literally summon the sun-"
"DARK POWERS"
"Well, at least since I'm immune to disease I can't be turned into a werewolf-"
"DARK POWERS"

Also for all the talk about Strahd, or Soth. What really stands out to me from my memories of my AD&D Ravenloft book is that there was a Darksun zone in Ravenloft.

"Behold, Barovia! The worse possible place! An eternal ironic prison for-"
"Oh thank GOD!"
"...What?"
"I mean. Yes, this is clearly the worst possible place. The one where the sun has trouble killing me me-I mean, vampires"

...drat. While going even farther away from horror. Now I'm thinking about fending off Mad Max style lycanthropes in "Silver? We don't even have copper!" desert combat and having to work around "In RAW are lycanthropes unable to harm eachother?" by fashioning weaponry out of their claws and teeth.

Honestly, of the Darklords, Dominic d'Honaire is a lot scarier to me than Soth or Strahd.

He's a minor noble on the Council of Brilliance that advises the Governor-General of Dementlieu... and has permanently mind-controlled most of the populace of the domain. In not-France.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
We are having a Halloween themed 14th level one shot. What's the most broken stupid bullshit build there is? The dumber the better

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I feel like if it's Halloween, you gotta have as many spooky skellymans as possible as a necromancer.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Are there rules for commoners? You could go as the Last Survivor

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Farg posted:

We are having a Halloween themed 14th level one shot. What's the most broken stupid bullshit build there is? The dumber the better

Casters have a 7th level spell slot.

Bladesingers get +int to melee damage rolls which while not game breaking aint bad.

Evocation wizards can max damage a 5th level spell once a day.

Draconic sorcerers have a fly speed.

You can do some really silly poo poo as a 14th level mystic if you can convince your DM.

Nomad can just teleport around instead of walking. Soul Knife can make a single attack against AC10, which should be an autohit unless you roll a 1.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Farg posted:

be wizard

use magic circle, infernal calling (level 8 spell slot), and planar binding (level 7 spell slot) to bind a bone devil to your service (not skeletons but close enough)

repeat 29 more times

have 30 bone devils doing your bidding at all times

your character stays at home watching wizard tv while the bone devils fight for the party

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
additional info:

must be evil
volo monster races allowed
one rare and one very rare magic item
2k gp to spend at character creation

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Tetracube posted:

be wizard

use magic circle, infernal calling (level 8 spell slot), and planar binding (level 7 spell slot) to bind a bone devil to your service (not skeletons but close enough)

repeat 29 more times

have 30 bone devils doing your bidding at all times

your character stays at home watching wizard tv while the bone devils fight for the party

I think you have to settle for chain devils.

Unless I missed a way to get a level 8 slot at level 14?

Maybe even lower since you gotta do the calling and binding sequentially, unless you can get 2 level 7 slots somehow?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Yeah it'll supposedly just be a single big fight so weird shenanigans that are time gated won't fly

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

AlphaDog posted:

Maybe even lower since you gotta do the calling and binding sequentially, unless you can get 2 level 7 slots somehow?

It doesn't work anyway because the Infernal Calling summon disappears before the hour required for Planar Binding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AlphaDog posted:

ah poo poo that's right

I'm racking my brain here. something with a bag of devouring maybe? you could also get a potion of cloud giant strength for something

Conspiratiorist posted:

It doesn't work anyway because the Infernal Calling summon disappears before the hour required for Planar Binding.

both last an hour, unless you want to be really pedantic and say it disappears 6 seconds before

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 5, 2018