Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bell jar posted:

I mean yeah the lady for sure sucks about it, but her getting banned from buying tickets on this train for six months over a seat is absolutely childish. Letting it escalate to that point is just insane. Just sit in the vacant seat!

e: vvv the tantrum was over the seat vvv

yes, the lady should go sit in the vacant seat she paid for. don't argue with the staff (who is shown in the video trying to talk to her).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The mediator (the guard) could have just apologised to the customer whose seat was taken and offered them a window seat elsewhere. It's not the passenger's fault, but absolutely it is the fault of the guard to get the woman so riled up that she's yelling and screaming on the train

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

bell jar posted:

But, the rules say that's my seat!! It's mine I bought it!! Ban this woman from travelling on trains for six months because this is my seat that I bought!

Also watch the drat video before typing up a paragraph you loving nerd

Did you watch the video? Because the video is someone breaking the rules and rather than shifting one seat over so she's following the rules(what a terrible hardship on her, I know), she is instead making some working joe's day suck because he has to deal with her childish garbage.

Pretty sure she was banned from the trains for six months so she doesn't make an employee have a loving ulcer from dealing with her.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Dillbag posted:

how the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAc5Pr52_XM

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i also ride trains because i live in the 1890s

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

im pooping! posted:

i also ride trains because i live in the 1890s

Trains are a lot quicker than planes at certain distances because you don't have to deal with all the post-11.9. airport bullshit. Also because trains were indeed around in the 1800s, there's usually a station right smack in the middle of cities whereas airports are way over in the sticks and you'll probably take a train or bus from there to go where you actually need to go.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

what the gently caress

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I ride trains every day and I often drink a beer after work on the train it rules. Then I can post on the forums and play vidja games on my phone instead of driving in lovely traffic.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

what the gently caress

remember remember the ninth of november

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Holy loving poo poo imagine being an adult that throws a tantrum because you can't sit in someone else's seat

and then brags about it on the internet

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
No seats, no masters

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Speaking of entitled whiners, it seems that people don't like the new Code of Conduct for the Linux project:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/8a104f8b5867c682d994ffa7a74093c54469c11f

Several sources of schadenfreude here, not least is that whining about it on github and trying to revert the commit is completely useless because that code is only a mirror and no one on the LKML mailing list will see it. It quickly devolves into conspiracy theory ranting, badgering the person who suggested it in the first place, and more whining that they're being flagged for their comments.

A sample:

quote:

Pls don't let this neo-marxistic compelled speech gender feminism equality-of-outcome bullshit get even near the linux kernel. This is not about victims or oppression. This is an attack on the kernel and its community. Once they get a foot in the door Linux will be done. Punch-In-Da-Face-Driven-Development works. Forget about the rest.

quote:

Guys look what's happening to Brett Kavanaugh. SJW have no morals. They are demonic. Please revert this commit.

quote:

My account has been flagged, and I believe it is for speaking against this CoC. Is there any recourse available to me now? I just wrote to the Github support about it. Is there any way I can know the specifics?

I'm sure Microsoft is overjoyed they bought Github now.

edit: whoops I almost forgot Potatoes Logic Man:

quote:

I followed the rabbit hole and I ended on the root of the problem. The problem is that they don't believe in meritocracy, they're supporters of something called post-meritocracy. https://postmeritocracy.org/

We do not believe that our value as human beings is intrinsically tied to our value as knowledge workers. Our professions do not define us; we are more than the work we do.

In meritocracy, somebody that has worked and studied medicine has more value than somebody that doesn't when talking about medicine and practicing it. In post-meritocracy, when a plane is going down, they don't ask for a pilot, they don't care if someone has flown a plane before, they only care if the person who flies it doesn't like potatoes.

We believe that interpersonal skills are at least as important as technical skills.

I'm sorry. Did I say that they only care if the person who flies the plane doesn't like potatoes? I meant that they only care if the person who flies the plane doesn't like potatoes and is good at saying that potatoes are not a great meal while crashing the plane, or even blame the former dead pilot for being dead.

We can add the most value as professionals by drawing on the diversity of our identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Homogeneity is an antipattern.

Of course, when flying a plane, it is important that you don't like potatoes, even if you haven't eaten any potato in your life, remember, experience is not necessary to know if you like potatoes or not. More important, you have to say it through your mic in order to make the crew aware of your condition of potato hater.

We can be successful while leading rich, full lives. Our success and value is not dependent on exerting all of our energy on contributing to software.

Yeah, you may not know how to fly a plane, less to land it, but hey, you're good at cooking, this will help you when landing the plane, I'm sure. If not, physics are racist.

We have the obligation to use our positions of privilege, however tenuous, to improve the lives of others.

Of course, if you are the pilot, you have to improve the lives of your crew, and the passengers. The thing is that the privilege here is to take the control of the plane, and somebody had to give you the privilege of flying the plane. Being a potato lover is not a privilege. Privileges are 'permissions' or 'powers' that somebody with more power, the authority, gives you. People often misuses (in purpose or because lack of knowledge) the terms of privileged and fortunate. Somebody that has born as a potato lover is fortunate, not privileged. Winning the lotto is fortunate, not privileged. Hiding behind laws based on your political agenda that gives people that hates potatoes more powers before the other people that loves potatoes is privileged. It makes the potato lovers different from the others just because they like potatoes, and potato haters blame the potato lovers that they can't like potatoes because of the potatocracy.

We must make room for people who are not like us to enter our field and succeed there. This means not only inviting them in, but making sure that they are supported and empowered.

Unless they like potatoes, if they like potatoes, we insult them on Twitter.

We have an ethical responsibility to refuse to work on software that will negatively impact the well-being of other people.

Like allowing and enforcing that top-devs doesn't contribute developing on a community because they like potatoes, making the code unstable and full of vulnerabilities, which in fact impacts negatively the well-being of other people. But they like potatoes, so it's justifiable.

We acknowledge the value of non-technical contributors as equal to the value of technical contributors.

Yeah, the more people is in the cabin talking about how the pilot has to sit on the chair while landing, how it has to say the radio codes and politically correct ask for a landing track, the better. I'm sure that the pilot is going to be okay with this, while trying to pay attention to how correctly use the controls of the plane to land safely. All the garbage instructions won't flood the radio channel and won't make the pilot lose valuable time in any way. I'm sure.

We understand that working in our field is a privilege, not a right. The negative impact of toxic people in the workplace or the larger community is not offset by their technical contributions.

No, it's not. Neither a privilege nor a right. Working in our field is a consequence of studying and becoming a professional, either by autodidact learning or by academia. You can work in the fields you know, and this 'privilege' of talking about your field is just an illusion of the trust of people that know that you work in that field. I didn't give the privilege to my doctor to cure me, but I trust all the knowledge (s)he has in that field in order to cure me.

And in a plane, I trust more in someone that has flown them before than in somebody that doesn't like potatoes and it's the first time that flies a plane. Call me crazy... I mean, maybe this is madness and it doesn't make any sense...

We are devoted to practicing compassion and not contempt. We refuse to belittle other people because of their choices of tools, techniques, or languages.

Because saying that objectively a programming language, a technique or a tool is better than another is like insulting who uses them. Of course, I forgot that I had to process this with that idiotic logic, or idiologic (So ideology comes from idiot and logic... it makes sense, though).

The field of software development embraces technical change, and is made better by also accepting social change.

Of course, we make the changes, changes like ruining the lives of people that love potatoes, insulting them on Twitter and harass them, while we cry because people harass us too for being imbeciles.

We strive to reflect our values in everything that we do. We recognize that values that are espoused but not practiced are not values at all.

Part of the ship, part of the crew. Indeed.

Well, this made my day. I'm laughing at this stupid ideology that bases the Covenant that so many enterprises are using.

tl;dr
So I have these conclusions:
· Meritocracy is not a thing nowadays, don't try to convince them using meritocratic arguments saying that only the good code matters, they don't care.
· They only care about pushing an idiotic political agenda based on feelings rather than facts.
· This is Neo-Kantianism, and all those stupid ideas that are based on race led to fascism and marxism, and it's bullshit.

ewe2 has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Oct 4, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/alw1vJq.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/9ZdpwQF.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/ILnn2OI.mp4

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Ski season approaches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Wsov8JXas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2YLlIZ3pFM

Tom Brady eats it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaiSEbSb_A0

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/ikeNUTM.mp4

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think that's just crossfit

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Raygereio posted:

The problem was that blackface was never associated with racism over here. We never had minstrel shows and the cultural backlash that made blackface a "bad thing". We don't even have a word for "blackface" in Dutch. So to a lot of people the folks protesting against Zwarte Piet sounded like weirdos yelling about a problem that doesn't exist. The far-right groups would always have exploited it and stirred poo poo up. But I can't help but feel that the whole thing could have been handled better.
The schaden is that this is only a cosmetic fix. A change has been made, but no one will have learned anything about why the change was a good thing.

Hmm yes, I totally buy that countries such as Belgium and Netherlands didn't use blackface in any sort of racist ways at all, lmbo. Also gotta laugh at any of the hand-wringing over culture poo poo about something that came about in the 1850s. Sounds a lot like people in the US who promote the "heritage not hate" bullshit.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Mu Zeta posted:

I think that's just crotchsplit

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ewe2 posted:

Speaking of entitled whiners, it seems that people don't like the new Code of Conduct for the Linux project:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/8a104f8b5867c682d994ffa7a74093c54469c11f

Several sources of schadenfreude here, not least is that whining about it on github and trying to revert the commit is completely useless because that code is only a mirror and no one on the LKML mailing list will see it. It quickly devolves into conspiracy theory ranting, badgering the person who suggested it in the first place, and more whining that they're being flagged for their comments.

A sample:

That looks familiar. Good to see Linux doing it. If there's any group that needs this poo poo shoved in their face it's GitHub committers and gamers. I came accoss a similar argument on the Opal repo for some reason. I don't use opal, but I just came act this https://github.com/opal/opal/issues/941

KoRMaK has a new favorite as of 01:45 on Oct 4, 2018

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

ewe2 posted:

Oh man, this is great. For years, Linux dorks have worshipped Torvalds for being a "TOUGH STRAIGHT TALKER" i.e. rear end in a top hat because he kept insisting he had no other way to deal with people and also it was the best way to do it. And when he finally started sort-of accepting he was an rear end in a top hat it pissed off so many people. I love this, feed me more.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raldikuk posted:

Hmm yes, I totally buy that countries such as Belgium and Netherlands didn't use blackface in any sort of racist ways at all, lmbo.

Yeah this is the biggest part of the problem I think. White Dutch people who have never thought about this cultural thing as racist before, so therefore it isn't racist. I also thought like this when I had my first discussion with a non-Dutch person about Zwarte Piet when I was like 16. People think something can only be racist if you consciously meant it as a racist insult, this is just harmless culture!

I am enjoying the right-wing meltdown immensely.

Raygereio posted:

The far-right groups would always have exploited it and stirred poo poo up. But I can't help but feel that the whole thing could have been handled better.
The schaden is that this is only a cosmetic fix. A change has been made, but no one will have learned anything about why the change was a good thing.

Nah, it was handled well by the anti-zwarte piet activists. People know it's a racist thing, and by removing the racist caricature in this racist caricatures in general become less acceptable.

Right-wing politician reacts to the announcement by saying he will boycott the television showing of Sinterklaas' grand arrival in the country. Next tweet points out that he's like 50 years too old to be the target demographic for that anyway.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Watch the guy slip in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SWMSQxhhxk

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

ewe2 posted:

Speaking of entitled whiners

loving hell nerds are the worst

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Roof jump and falling roof combined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb2syEPy6NA

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The customer was LADY with 'POOP'!!!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Holy loving poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

E: welp

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 05:52 on Oct 4, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

That looks familiar. Good to see Linux doing it. If there's any group that needs this poo poo shoved in their face it's GitHub committers and gamers. I came accoss a similar argument on the Opal repo for some reason. I don't use opal, but I just came act this https://github.com/opal/opal/issues/941

That thread was actually used as an example in the above thread about the OP's SJW agenda.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I haven't found an article to verify it but I'm fairly sure the dude didn't survive that, his neck almost definitely snapped on impact, among other things...

so yeah maybe not worth posting

Tenkaris has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Oct 4, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ewe2 posted:

A sample:

I see where this is going. FreeBSD is going to end up being the alt-right's OSS platform of choice

Time to bleach the ol' resume

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The internet was a mistake. It really was.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lang Lastbil: The Mirror's Bane

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Tenkaris posted:

I haven't found an article to verify it but I'm fairly sure the dude didn't survive that, his neck almost definitely snapped on impact, among other things...

But why would someone upload a video of their friend jumping to his horrific death?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Data Graham posted:

I see where this is going. FreeBSD is going to end up being the alt-right's OSS platform of choice

Time to bleach the ol' resume

It won't. FreeBSD are turbo-'SJW'. They removed the offensive database from the fortune(1) package, ffs. Yes, the whole thing.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Edit: never mind I didn't realize I'd left the tab open that long.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Wendell posted:

But why would someone upload a video of their friend jumping to his horrific death?

maybe they dont like that guy?

if that dude survived he's got some sweet brain damage

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Imagined posted:

The internet was a mistake. It really was.

The internet is merely the latest in a long line of enormous mistakes that began with cellular mitosis.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Tenkaris posted:

Yeah, I really would like to not see people die. And I could literally hear the sound of what I assume is his neck breaking at the end there.

Can that be a thread rule? No posting a video unless everyone seen in the video survives? Or if people die, at least maybe attach a :nms: to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah that's already a rule.