Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

bigis posted:

If I’m pooping at work is that time theft?

:itwaspoo:

Boss makes a dollar
I make a dime
So I poop
On company time

But seriously all paid work is exploitation, I don't see a problem with things going the other way. It's unrealistic to expect people to sustain 100% of their focus on the job for every hour they're working. And anyone who can and does is a scab.

So long as the work is getting done, it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

MysticalMachineGun posted:

We would honestly need a new breed of Labor ministers (snerk, laffo) or for the Greens to get power to clean out those camps.

Both are possible. It only took a clear out of Anna Bligh in Queensland to get an acceptable Labor Government after Campbell Newman and currently Queensland is in the middle of legalising abortion, something that wasn't previously thought possible under prior state governments. The LNP will always hear their master's voice in the IPA but when Labor gets a good clean out you would be surprised that the result is sometimes better rather than worse.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I will always remember the mysterious hero at my old work who pooed on the bathroom floor so the manager had to clean it up.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

froglet posted:

Boss makes a dollar
I make a dime
So I poop
On company time

But seriously all paid work is exploitation, I don't see a problem with things going the other way. It's unrealistic to expect people to sustain 100% of their focus on the job for every hour they're working. And anyone who can and does is a scab.

So long as the work is getting done, it's fine.

Now's a good time to post the productivity vs wages graph.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Anidav posted:

Both are possible. It only took a clear out of Anna Bligh in Queensland to get an acceptable Labor Government after Campbell Newman and currently Queensland is in the middle of legalising abortion, something that wasn't previously thought possible under prior state governments. The LNP will always hear their master's voice in the IPA but when Labor gets a good clean out you would be surprised that the result is sometimes better rather than worse.

The issue with new Labor MPs is that a lot of them are young Labor that come from born and bred tory families and sandstone unis.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Starshark posted:

Now's a good time to post the Bristol Stool Chart

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
selflessness under capitalism is stupidity

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

TBH The current Labor govt aren't really very good. Aren't they still hellbent on approving the Adani mine?

Granted, the Andrews govt. want to give tanks to cops and the McGowan govt also wants to give tanks to cops also is continuing Barnett's tactic of bleeding the public sector so it's not a great comparison, but at least they both pretend to care about the environment.

Arguably the most important issue at present.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

bigis posted:

Poop in your allocated pooping/eating/rest periods, scum. All three at once.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

TBH The current Labor govt aren't really very good. Aren't they still hellbent on approving the Adani mine?

Granted, the Andrews govt. want to give tanks to cops and the McGowan govt also wants to give tanks to cops also is continuing Barnett's tactic of bleeding the public sector so it's not a great comparison, but at least they both pretend to care about the environment.

Labor want to build part of Metronet right through the center of a Bush Forever site, which is a loving fantastic way to wedge the Greens.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bigis posted:

According to neolib shithead small business owners any time you're not directly putting your own money into their pockets you are stealing from them!

And sadly this trashing workers narrative won't turn away newspaper readers. They just think they're good little employees who will be the big boss one day as they spend hour 3 on the loo reading the Advertiser

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MysticalMachineGun posted:

According to neolib shithead small business owners any time you're not directly putting your own money into their pockets you are stealing from them!

And sadly this trashing workers narrative won't turn away newspaper readers. They just think they're good little employees who will be the big boss one day as they spend hour 3 on the loo reading the Advertiser

It's (paid for by the IPA etc) blowback for workers saying making them do unpaid o/t is stealing, but then again if you treated them like people they'd do an extra 15 minutes a day without even batting an eyelid.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

GoldStandardConure posted:

Labor want to build part of Metronet right through the center of a Bush Forever site, which is a loving fantastic way to wedge the Greens.

Yeah I was thinking about attending the workshop on that, if it hasn't happened already.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

No. The policy they have is Adani gets no state government funding. Made last election back when it seems like the project wouldn't get ahead without government funding.

As far as I can tell the project has been frozen since.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

As a side note I'm not exactly keen on the state government incentivising low-density sprawl forever by giving every loving new development train lines.

Don't get me wrong, high speed rail to Margaret River would be cool, but I think Perth needed a hard border 30 years ago and planned accordingly so we didnt have to decide between trains and bush forever sites.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Labor on naru:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ReachTel 51-49 to the LNP in Wentworth.

LNP 40.6
ALP 19.5
Phelps 16.9
Heath 9.6
Greens 6.2

ReachTel is currently predicting Labor ahead of Phelps, 52% of Phelps supporters said decision to preference LNP ahead of Labor made them less likely to vote for her.

Sharma will need about two-thirds of Phelps’ voters to put him ahead of Labor to win.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

It's (paid for by the IPA etc) blowback for workers saying making them do unpaid o/t is stealing, but then again if you treated them like people they'd do an extra 15 minutes a day without even batting an eyelid.

Yeah my workplace treats staff really well so people offer to work back late and work through lunches and I have to tell them to not do that poo poo for free, either get flex or o/t for it

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Psst! Hey kid, wanna change the fuckin' rules?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
What happens if Labor promises to reveal all of the 'on water' matters from the previous few years minus the past 6 months or whatever to maintain 'secrecy'. Show that the boats haven't stopped and people keep dying. Pressure the LNP to release it before the election and prove the policy works.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Konomex posted:

What happens if Labor promises to reveal all of the 'on water' matters from the previous few years minus the past 6 months or whatever to maintain 'secrecy'. Show that the boats haven't stopped and people keep dying. Pressure the LNP to release it before the election and prove the policy works.

Didn't the libs move all that poo poo into defence documentation meaning that you can't?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

JBP posted:

Didn't the libs move all that poo poo into defence documentation meaning that you can't?

It hardly matters politically whether they did or didn't, both sides would regard squealing on this issue to be a preemptive attack and declare war. They're already keeping dossiers on each other as it is (and how that open secret is brushed over by the MSM is another cause for concern itself). This stuff is going to be buried for decades unless something miraculous happens.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ewe2 posted:

It hardly matters politically whether they did or didn't, both sides would regard squealing on this issue to be a preemptive attack and declare war. They're already keeping dossiers on each other as it is (and how that open secret is brushed over by the MSM is another cause for concern itself). This stuff is going to be buried for decades unless something miraculous happens.

Yeah agreedo, I just meant more from a functional standpoint hasn't everything been done to bury this information in places that make it illegal to divulge even if you had the political willpower?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I believe they are exempt from FOI but that probably does not protect them from a government who wants them released. I'm just reminding you that no government is likely to want to in the next 50 years or more.

edit, to be exact, here is a list of exemptions:

quote:

The right to access documents held by government is subject to certain limitations that ensure that sensitive information, including personal, secret or national security information, is properly protected. If you request a document from an Australian Government agency or minister under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (the FOI Act), you may not be given access to the document if it falls within one of the categories of exemptions under the FOI Act. There are two types of exemptions: documents that are exempt, and documents that are conditionally exempt and will not be released if their disclosure would be contrary to the public interest. If an agency or minister decides not to provide a document to you because the document falls within one of the exempt or conditionally exempt categories, they must explain their reasons in the notice of decision they give you. If exempt information can be deleted from part of a document, an edited copy of the document can be provided. If you do not agree with the agency's or minister's decision, you can ask for the decision to be reviewed by the agency or the Australian Information Commissioner.
Exemptions

There are nine categories of exemptions under the FOI Act. If a document meets the criteria for one of these categories, an agency or minister can refuse to release it. The categories are:

* documents affecting national security, defence or international relations
* Cabinet documents
* documents affecting enforcement of law and protection of public safety
* documents to which secrecy provisions in other legislation apply
* documents subject to legal professional privilege
* documents containing material obtained in confidence
* documents whose disclosure would be in contempt of Parliament or in contempt of court
* documents disclosing trade secrets or commercially valuable information
* electoral rolls and related documents.

Conditional exemptions

Another eight categories of document are conditionally exempt under the FOI Act. They are documents relating to:

* Commonwealth-State relations
* deliberative processes relating to agencies' or ministers' functions
* the Commonwealth's financial and property interests
* certain operations of agencies (such as audits, examinations and personnel management)
* personal privacy
* business affairs
* research (by CSIRO or the Australian National University)
* Australia's economy.

That's such a wide-ranging list, they could fit it in many places.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 4, 2018

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Yeah agreedo, I just meant more from a functional standpoint hasn't everything been done to bury this information in places that make it illegal to divulge even if you had the political willpower?

why do you think they should be kept secret and not released to the public?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If the media wasn't so biased against Labor they would be able to be a bit more of a real opposition party and challenge the LNP

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I want Rudd-sama's royal commission into media ownership.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GoldStandardConure posted:

why do you think they should be kept secret and not released to the public?

:argh:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Shorten won't do anything about refugees because he likes things how they are. You could make any moral, economic, medical argument to him that you want, he prefers it that asylum seekers are kept offshore. He doesn't challenge the Govt on their stopped boats rhetoric, while Albo goes on interview admitting that the LNP have indeed stopped the boats (which obviously they haven't). He thinks that it's good that people are there. He just might want to tweak the conditions there a little bit so they're slightly more palatable to left wing people, under the guise of incrementalist change that completely gets swept away by the time Govt changes hands again

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I feel like democracy can work for progressive causes but posters in here have lost faith in democracy which is fair enough, I feel that way too but at the end of the day you still got to bring positive ideas to to the table for those who listen. While the party who usually listens to reasoning along the lines of this thread is The Greens, Labor is also not immune to listening to such things as well. The fact is the beating heart of Australia is probably loving disgusting and is a cocktail of ideas that really are confusing and sometimes super poo poo. At the end of the day, I would rather vote for a janitor to clean out these bad ideas and two parties are my options which will always top my preference list and I'm happy with that.

And you know what, I would rather Labor get in and be pressured by all of their friends to change immigration policy than bare another 3 years of this tumbleweed of a government.

However if I end up extremely disappointed by the Shorten Government I wont be preferencing Labor near the top for a very long time.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I can't ever see myself voting Liberal higher than Labor, but I also can't see myself voting Labor higher than the Greens. But like you say, people here have lost faith in democracy - well, Australian democracy at least, which is anything but democratic in reality.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sir this is the accelerationist thread

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
I just want a Federal ICAC

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cpt Soban posted:

I just want milk that tastes like real milk

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Cpt Soban posted:

I also want to see more than half of our politicians locked up.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

I feel that way too but at the end of the day you still got to bring positive ideas to to the table for those who listen.

My positive idea is forming a dictatorship of the proletariat and anything less is revisionism to me

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Yet another Liberal meeting will debate privatising the ABC, despite regular assurances from political leaders it won't be sold off.
The Tasmanian Liberal state council will be the latest to debate the issue, with one branch calling for the ABC's duties to be put out to tender.
Former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull was forced to insist the ABC would not be sold off when the federal Liberal council passed a motion calling for its sale in June.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

Debate over alleged Chinese government interference in a Tasmanian local council race has divided the Greens, with the state party leader accused of “racist dog-whistling”.

An Australian Young Greens leader has called for the resignation of the party’s Tasmanian leader, Cassy O’Connor, after she linked the alleged interference to a Australian-Chinese Hobart City council candidate.

O’Connor, who has been a vocal critical of the Hodgman government’s relationship with the Chinese government, had warned last month there was a “growing body of extremely credible evidence” the Chinese Communist party was seeking to influence the council race.

O’Connor used a speech to parliament to draw attention to a candidate, Yongbei Tang, who is Chinese-Australian and was the editor of a newspaper that ran an article saying Australia was a country dominated by white people and urging Chinese-Australians to vote for Tang.

The Young Greens’ national co-convenor, Mark Clayton, accused O’Connor of “straight up racist dog-whistling” and called on her to resign.

“WTF are you doing in the Greens, the rest of us are fighting against racism and here you are standing side-by-side with Hanson,” he wrote in a tweet.

Clayton added that he supported O’Connor’s criticism of China’s human rights abuses but took issue “where you accuse Chinese-Australians in our communities as part of a grand conspiracy”.

“Students enrolling having a say in their city is an idea that we should be championing,” he said.

O’Connor stood by her comments, saying the accusations of racism were “false” and “a slur” and that her concerns were “backed by evidence”.

“These accusations (of racism) give succour to a totalitarian regime that’s oppressing around 14 M Uyghurs & Kazakhs, spies on its citizens wherever they live & runs influence ops in sovereign democracies like (Tasmania),” she wrote in a tweet.

Concerns in some quarters about Chinese foreign investment and potential political interference in Tasmania have grown in recent years.

The debate intensified last month after the Mercury newspaper reported that Tang had attended the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Congress last year.

The following day the Mercury reported that the paper headed by Tang had called on Chinese-Australians to back her in a bid to “put a nail in Tasmania’s politics”.

In her speech to parliament, O’Connor said Tang had “published extremely concerning statements” as editor of the Tasmanian Chinese News Network.

“The article in Chinese News Tasmania notes that ‘Australia is a society dominated by white people’ and called on Chinese people living in Tasmania to back Ms Tang’s election,” O’Connor said.

Tang, who is an Australian citizen, has stressed that she has no links or sympathies with the Chinese Communist party, appreciated Australian values and simply wanted to give back to the country.

Academic Clive Hamilton, a prominent critic of the Chinese government, said in a speech to a Hobart audience on Tuesday that the state’s “uncritical embrace” of Beijing meant it was a soft target for Chinese Communist party influence.

The dependence on Chinese demand in the education and tourism sectors meant Tasmania was vulnerable to economic coercion, he said.

The state government has dismissed the claims. The Tasmanian premier, Will Hodgman, told the Australian during a visit to Beijing last month that fears about Chinese influence in his state “don’t stack up”.

O’Connor was unavailable for comment. But a spokeswoman said the “Tasmanian Greens MPs’ offices haven’t received any critical correspondence from Chinese-Australians” in response to her comments.

This is a real wedge and the solution is going to have to involve appealing to Chinese-Australians, as again this argument is white people arguing racism vs not racism while the right and the Chinese Government run the narrative by actually talking to Chinese-Australians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Lid posted:

This is a real wedge and the solution is going to have to involve appealing to Chinese-Australians, as again this argument is white people arguing racism vs not racism while the right and the Chinese Government run the narrative by actually talking to Chinese-Australians.

quote:

“The article in Chinese News Tasmania notes that ‘Australia is a society dominated by white people’ and called on Chinese people living in Tasmania to back Ms Tang’s election,” O’Connor said.

This is true though???

If there's more to this (like taking big donations from a Chinese state owned enterprise) it may be a legitimate line of criticism, but if the main thrust of your argument about nefarious Chinese interference is 'she said Chinese people should vote for her' I'm inclined to believe you're racist dogwhistling.

• Locked thread