Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Remember the time we suggested they needed to update the system hardware faster than Xbox and PS4 revisions and everyone started throwing insults? Pepperidge farm remembers. I’m really glad Nintendo is doing this because too many publishers and titles are passing on the system and will pass on the system.

This is gonna be a DS Lite style revision, not a PS4 Pro style revision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

That absolutely will happen, but probably after 2020. The DSi and New 3DS both came out about four years after the original models.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah there absolutely will be a major hardware revision (though getting Xbone or base PS4 performance out of an ARM chip is unlikely) but this ain't it.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 4, 2018

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My only prediction is that it won't be a different size because that would require different sets of accessories, which are very important for Switch. They're not going to create a situation where parents don't know which kind of controller to buy for their kids.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Guy Goodbody posted:

This is gonna be a DS Lite style revision, not a PS4 Pro style revision

How do you know? It’s possible but it may also be a substantial increase in power, or at least improved WiFi, Bluetooth, battery, screen which is also fine.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Actually I do expect this mid 2019 revision has better wireless performance. Maybe 64GB base storage too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

How do you know? It’s possible but it may also be a substantial increase in power, or at least improved WiFi, Bluetooth, battery, screen which is also fine.

How do you know it won't be?

Hell, how do I know you're not a figment of my imagination, trying to corrupt my brain with sexy dragon ladies?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Improved battery, yeah that seems likely, maybe that other stuff, maybe games will run a little better, but they aren't going to do a New Switch. Remember that there were only like three New 3DS games. Even after the new 3DS completely replaced the 3DS, they didn't make more New 3DS games. Clearly, Nintendo is not gung ho about the idea of fracturing the playerbase and releasing a bunch of games you can only play on the newer versions of their consoles. And they definitely aren't going to do it for a bunch of whiny third parties.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If a new Switch comes out I have an excuse to buy a second Switch

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The switch is a different animal than the 3ds. People aren’t clambering to play a grainy rear end game on a slightly larger screen. People want a Netflix machine that can conceivably play third party aaa titles with various effects unremoved and they want 4-5 hours battery.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Switch Pro so Cities Skylines can run at 25 FPS and all the big games can still skip the Switch

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm expecting more internal memory, slightly improved battery life and wireless connectivity maybe. And perhaps just enough extra juice to run streaming apps without fully closing games.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe they'll support Bluetooth audio

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They say one option is gonna be improvement on display, which seems to point to more minor updates, like a better screen and such.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The switch is a different animal than the 3ds. People aren’t clambering to play a grainy rear end game on a slightly larger screen. People want a Netflix machine that can conceivably play third party aaa titles with various effects unremoved and they want 4-5 hours battery.

That is never going to happen

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

For the life of me I can't figure out who these people are who don't have a way to watch Netflix

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1047836535561707521

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

For the life of me I can't figure out who these people are who don't have a way to watch Netflix

I’m with you, it’s not important to me but people won’t shut up about it. When I see old games as best sellers it makes sense that people just want poo poo everywhere.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

There's plenty of low-hanging hardware fruit to improve on the Switch that doesn't alter the platform for existing owners. Improved wireless performance, a gorilla glass screen, a non-poo poo kickstand, and a smaller bezel come to mind.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One things for sure, if you don't buy the new version, and if you aren't excited for it as soon as it's announced, Reggie will come to your house and he will take your children, and they will be raised by Nintendo. You'll never see them again, except maybe in the playtesters credits of New Super Chibi Robo Zip Lash

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

We're talking about Nintendo. They aren't going to release a new console just to get more third party games.

Better battery, better screen, removing exploits, lighter hardware, all of that is likely. But they aren't going to release a New Switch that can play games you can't play on existing Switches

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

a gorilla glass screen

This probably won't happen, as kids would crack the screen and cut themselves and parents would sue.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

TheScott2K posted:

There's plenty of low-hanging hardware fruit to improve on the Switch that doesn't alter the platform for existing owners. Improved wireless performance, a gorilla glass screen, a non-poo poo kickstand, and a smaller bezel come to mind.

Better cooling / lower TDP so it can run at a clock high enough to push 1080 while undocked on a new screen. I think that's going to be the real upgrade full power while undocked. I can't imagine them changing the docked performance. Nintendo is all for everyone in multi-player having the exact same performance.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

GigaPeon posted:

I've come into some Amazon gift cards and was thinking about picking up a Pro Controller. Is it still where different designs have different D-Pads, or did they figure all that out?

I just got a Pro, and it looks like it's from batch C. D-pad is bad on mine. It's way too easy to roll into a direction other than the one you're pressing. I tested this with the controller test and tapping left, right, left, right over and over. Was getting up inputs a lot instead. Controller is great for games that don't involve much d-pad, but I got an 8Bitdo SN30 for 2D platformers and NES games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Two Beans posted:

This probably won't happen, as kids would crack the screen and cut themselves and parents would sue.

You do realize that kids already use phones, right?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheScott2K posted:

Seriously, those people should just buy a dirt cheap Chinese Android tablet. The screen'll be bigger and look better plus there's all the other crap you can use it for that won't ever come to Switch.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Two Beans posted:

The kids all have iPads and access to phones, this isn't a thing

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How much more powerful could a Switch Pro that’s only a year away be?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

If your $1000+ Galaxy/iPhone can't do this, your $300 Nintendo Switch can't do it either, and anyone who makes a genuine demand for that has brainworms.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Andrast posted:

You do realize that kids already use phones, right?

Nintendo, the toy manufacturer, doesn't have the same mindset as Motorola, the mobile device manufacturer.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
At least it's not expected for another 10 to 14 months, as a Nintendo Whore I am obligated to get the latest revisions and I can start putting some pennies to the side now.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The joycon rails put a pretty solid limit on how thin they could make a revised Switch, right?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

I agree, give me a battery-powered PS4 Pro

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lodin posted:

Seriously, those people should just buy a dirt cheap Chinese Android tablet.

I did, I bought a Switch

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

TheScott2K posted:

The joycon rails put a pretty solid limit on how thin they could make a revised Switch, right?

They could have the rails physically move to accommodate both "fat" and "slim" accessories. Slim accessories would have to include some way to make them work with fat devices either adapters or something that you press that would extend the plastic to the full fat size.

I don't think they'd do this, but it's physically possible without any adapters at all and just including this all in the devices.

The other issue is wear and tear on whatever mechanism is moving the plastic and the plastic itself, especially with a mix of fat and slim accessories where you'd be changing it all the time. Kids will have a mix, making wear and tear a top priority. I wouldn't rule Nintendo changing the rails on a slim, but I also would be a bit surprised.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Fixing this post

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 4, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Maybe a 400 dollar switch can do a lot more than the 300 dollar one? Why is it impossible to think Manufacturers now see a market for Switch size chips that didn’t exist a few years ago? Phones aren’t handheld consoles, they have to be small, have long battery life, have high end screens and cameras and speakers. The switch doesn’t need most of what a phone offers and provides ample room for larger components.

In the end Nintendo is a disappointing company so it’s likely this update is just minor inconsequential poo poo no one asked for, but it could be more.

So you don't know how anything at all works, huh?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'll probably buy the New Nintendo Switch Lite DSi XL

Then I'll hack my old one to run emulators BECAUSE loving BRING SNES GAMES TO THE ONLINE NESFLIX SERVICE ALREADY gently caress

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Remember the time we suggested they needed to update the system hardware faster than Xbox and PS4 revisions and everyone started throwing insults? Pepperidge farm remembers. I’m really glad Nintendo is doing this because too many publishers and titles are passing on the system and will pass on the system.

I’m with you, it’s not important to me but people won’t shut up about it. When I see old games as best sellers it makes sense that people just want poo poo everywhere.

Maybe a 400 dollar switch can do a lot more than the 300 dollar one? Why is it impossible to think Manufacturers now see a market for Switch size chips that didn’t exist a few years ago? Phones aren’t handheld consoles, they have to be small, have long battery life, have high end screens and cameras and speakers. The switch doesn’t need most of what a phone offers and provides ample room for larger components.

In the end Nintendo is a disappointing company so it’s likely this update is just minor inconsequential poo poo no one asked for, but it could be more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

So you don't know how anything at all works, huh?

None of us knows how this will work but considering even a minor refresh was seen as “stupid and unlikely” I’m feeling pretty smart right about now. And knowing Nintendo I wouldn’t expect a cheaper version of an updated model but it could happen.