Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Rhyno posted:

Powers Booth played two different characters.

Meant this guy:

http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/List

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

This is like the 90th hyperbolic statement you've made about the show that continues to prove you have never watched it.

S03E09.

Powers Booth is one of them so try not to be confused.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

S03E09.

Powers Booth is one of them so try not to be confused.

Yeah and where's this 15 minute scene of two characters explaining the plot?

Edit: That's fine, it doesn't exist. You spent a moment googling something vaguely similar to your exaggeration.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ToastyPotato posted:

I can definitely understand that. I don't think Star Wars really does that, currently though. All of the books that I have seen so far have been stuff that has expanded on other stuff, but has never been needed to understand anything in the films. Likewise, none of the TV shows have been required viewing as well. This doesn't work the other way of course. Those side stories require knowledge of the films for context, and Rebels in particular leans heavily on Clone Wars for a lot of backstory, but again, I have no issue with that since it is continuing plot threads from that show. But yeah, I can see how required viewing across mediums would be kind of lame for a movie. Though to be perfectly fair, writing in general already has to deal with the concept of introducing characters or subjects that have a backstory already. Dealing with exposition is a basic challenge of writing, so wanting to avoid anything with a big history because you don't want to have to figure out how to explain it isn't going to make for very compelling story telling either. It would be problematic if Doctor Aphra or Ezra or Thrawn just popped up in a movie, playing a major role, with no real explanation. But that wouldn't be any different than introducing a new character in a major role and never really explaining who they are... ohh.. ohhhhh....

The source of my gripe at the moment is Darth Maul in Solo. I actually ended up enjoying Solo but I didn't like Darth Maul being in it, because most of the people who saw Solo won't have watched all of the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons and won't know all the backstory they came up with for him coming back from the dead; they'll have seen Phantom Menace, a movie which ends with Darth Maul being chopped in half and falling down a bottomless pit (spoilers btw).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The source of my gripe at the moment is Darth Maul in Solo. I actually ended up enjoying Solo but I didn't like Darth Maul being in it, because most of the people who saw Solo won't have watched all of the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons and won't know all the backstory they came up with for him coming back from the dead; they'll have seen Phantom Menace, a movie which ends with Darth Maul being chopped in half and falling down a bottomless pit (spoilers btw).

I figure there was a contractually obligated lightsaber quota. And for the record both I (who hasn't seen those intermediary things) and my brother (who has) agree with you.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Wheat Loaf posted:

I can definitely see how that can be bad, but my understanding (not having seen the movie) is that it was mostly a very small role/cameo type thing. If anything you could view it as a teaser for something else down the road (that will likely never happen now due to SW movies under performing.) Kind of like a movie you know will have a sequel ending with a massive cliffhanger. *snaps fingers* That isn't the sort of thing that bothers general audiences at all apparently, as has been proven, so I can see why they might do something like that, especially since at the time they were looking to expand on these side movies.

Basically the way I see it is this. Either you care enough to find out what happened since the last time you saw him, or you don't. The story isn't exclusively told in an expensive game or in a series of long books or dozens of comics. He's not in every episode of Clone War or Rebels (he's in relatively few actually), so ultimately if your interest in his story and Star Wars in general is low enough that watching some episodes of shows that are quite literally no worse than the movie he debuted in at their very worst (and the episodes he is in a generally not regarded as anywhere near the worst), then I don't really see what is upsetting about him being in a new movie in the first place. I get that having to track down the shows and episodes is a pain, and that is very much up to Disney to resolve (which they are kinda trying with the streaming service, but still, another bill to pay, but on the other hand Star Wars has never technically been free so...) but at some point, you have to realize you are watching movies that are part of an an going series and that at some point, the plots are going to lead into or out of some other thing you have to watch if you want to know everything about everything. Even if it is just another movie. So far Star Wars movies have avoided hanging the plot on anything other than general knowledge of the other films, so I will continue to give them the benefit of the doubt until that changes. My understanding of the cameo was that it doesn't really change this, because he doesn't actually do anything. It's more of an "oh poo poo" moment.

And just to get ahead of the argument (not saying you would make this argument, just putting this out there) that Solo perhaps failed because of its use of continuity, no it didn't. It literally didn't. Solo came out the same year as Infinity War, a film completely buried in 10 years of continuity, which made more money than almost anything else ever, including Star Wars. It also came out mere months after a highly divisive, controversial Star Wars film that made about half as much as Infinity War or the previous core SW title. Solo also had well publicized production drama.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking if DC wanted to try and get a "prestige" type show or something along the lines of the Marvel Netflixes, a much better choice than Watchmen would be the Question series from the 80s. You could unpack a lot about the character and probably get some pretty cool fights in as well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ive seen the prequels, all of clone wars, and rebels, and i still thought maul showing up was strange and dumb

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

WB doesn't really seem to be interest in DC properties at all. The only reason they are even using them right now is because Disney is making bank with Marvel. I get the feeling that WB executives would rather the superhero bubble burst than attempt to make good DC projects.

site posted:

ive seen the prequels, all of clone wars, and rebels, and i still thought maul showing up was strange and dumb

Liking it or not isn't really what anyone is talking about...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure what WB's big thing is outside DC. I know they've got lots of stuff but nothing's springing to mind because I associate them with Looney Tunes and they don't seem to have a lot of interest in them either. Do they have Harry Potter?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm impressed at how smoothly the Star Wars discussion moved from the Movie Thread to here and the TV Shows discussion moved from here to the Movie Thread

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure what WB's big thing is outside DC. I know they've got lots of stuff but nothing's springing to mind because I associate them with Looney Tunes and they don't seem to have a lot of interest in them either. Do they have Harry Potter?

Harry Potter is the current big one, yeah.

Now I’m reminded that they’re not doing a whole lot with Looney Tunes tho and now I’m sad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Samuringa posted:

I'm impressed at how smoothly the Star Wars discussion moved from the Movie Thread to here and the TV Shows discussion moved from here to the Movie Thread

And it's about to move out of here so I hope it didn't get too comfortable.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HIJK posted:

Now I’m reminded that they’re not doing a whole lot with Looney Tunes tho and now I’m sad.

I suppose they have that new Space Jam movie out next year or the year after with LeBron James.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

X-O posted:

Feel the power of XO Manowar!!!!

I've never read an XO Manowar book so I don't know if he says that or not. Probably not.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Samuringa posted:

X-O posted:

It only got brought up because of the similarities/differences between it and the MCU and Marvel TV. And considering the overlap in demographics for their audiences, especially since both occupy the same multimedia formats, including comic books, it is kind of funny to expect that it never be discussed in places where superhero/comic book stuff is discussed. Unless all movie talk, including Marvel and DC movie talk is also generally prohibited and I am misunderstanding.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nope just Star Wars! Because it brings out the worst in people.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

X-O posted:

Nope just Star Wars! Because it brings out the worst in people.

That actually makes a lot of sense and is completely reasonable. Haahah. My bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ToastyPotato posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense and is completely reasonable. Haahah. My bad.

I thought so too.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1047637425554636800

Is this still even a Titans spinoff? They've recast the roles of both Niles Caulder and now Negative Man.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Barry Convex posted:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1047637425554636800

Is this still even a Titans spinoff? They've recast the roles of both Niles Caulder and now Negative Man.

The comicbook.com article I read a bit ago speculated that Bomer could be Negative Man before the accident.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://twitter.com/julianexcalibur/status/1047648605874663424

Ah... yeah if I had any interest in Titans here's where I'd be noping the gently caress out.

Lotta murder going on with these teenagers. necks being snapped, literally frying people alive like... what the gently caress?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well good thing Titans has been renewed for a second season regardless

:smug:

:smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wow, it must be great! As good as Star Trek Discovery even!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Onmi posted:

Ah... yeah if I had any interest in Titans here's where I'd be noping the gently caress out.

Lotta murder going on with these teenagers. necks being snapped, literally frying people alive like... what the gently caress?

So the woman at my LCS that was upset about Starfire being a hooker was right!

loving christ. Everything I hear about this show says that the people creating it basically chose the wrong choice every time.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Onmi posted:

why. why is this happening. do not want do not want

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

twistedmentat posted:

loving christ. Everything I hear about this show says that the people creating it basically chose the wrong choice every time.

Yeah, turns out when people were seeing the behind the scenes stuff and said "Starfire looks like a hooker" it's because Starfire's a hooker who breaks necks and incinerates people! Dick Grayson kills people! Why do these heroes, the loving TITANS of all heroes, kill people?! Dick says he left Batman because he saw himself becoming like Batman! Well buddy, having seen how you act without his influence, you made a terrible decision.

I know just... why. They have no real public response yet but, apparently, these days, it doesn't matter if your show stands up to public scrutiny, it can get renewed for another season.

Rhyno posted:

Wow, it must be great! As good as Star Trek Discovery even!

loving amazing, love watching Raven's mom get murdered and watching a drugged up couple beat up a woman.

https://twitter.com/julianexcalibur/status/1047658486560120832
https://twitter.com/julianexcalibur/status/1047659724072779777

gently caress you know what, I didn't like TTGO, I will take a billion Go's over this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hate that DC fanboys are happy Robin says gently caress and Kills people now. They're probably the same people who see the Joker as some kind of embodiment of Alt-right/Mens Rights/general regressive bullshit and his shooting and assault of Barbara Gordon is symbolic of destroying feminism.

Yes that is a thing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Onmi posted:

Yeah, turns out when people were seeing the behind the scenes stuff and said "Starfire looks like a hooker" it's because Starfire's a hooker who breaks necks and incinerates people!

Some people in the comments are saying later episodes clarify/indicate that she was duped into working for the mob as an enforcer.

A) Not that is much better and
B) If it's not clear what your characters background is that people can watch it and ask "are they portraying a sex worker?" And not have the answer, you have probably done a bad job telling your story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

I hate that DC fanboys are happy Robin says gently caress and Kills people now. They're probably the same people who see the Joker as some kind of embodiment of Alt-right/Mens Rights/general regressive bullshit and his shooting and assault of Barbara Gordon is symbolic of destroying feminism.

Yes that is a thing.

I can't wait for DearthTittymask's overwhelmingly positive reviews of the show.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I just can't see people being happy about Starfire in a universe where the characters have genitals.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I can't wait for DearthTittymask's overwhelmingly positive reviews of the show.

On the one hand we know Jason Todd is a character in the show, on the other hand he probably isn't going to become Red Hood in the first season (even money on him being beaten to death with a crowbar though). So I don't think it's certain DarkTittyAnime will be a fan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

On the one hand we know Jason Todd is a character in the show, on the other hand he probably isn't going to become Red Hood in the first season (even money on him being beaten to death with a crowbar though). So I don't think it's certain DarkTittyAnime will be a fan.

I'd put good money on every episode Jason appears in having at least 3 Red Hood references.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Gifted Season two episode two, Stepford Cuckoos continue to be loving terrifying.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Collider/status...834257102712832

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".
The reviews don't fill me with hope for Doom Patrol, but everything else about Doom Patrol looks pretty cool and good, especially the cast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/LuminaOrchis/status/1047841411297685504

I swear some people are only on this earth to vex me, personally.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lol at people nearly yelling "FAKE NEWS".

Hellworld is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dick Grayson stabs a guy in the balls with shears.

And Hawk has erectile dysfunction.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 4, 2018