Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Prospective villain they wanted to use in Solo 2 revealed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

https://twitter.com/Josh_Scully/status/1003996810749173762

But I can see them wanting Leia alive for the final film rather than killing off both Luke and Leia in this one.

this honestly would've ruled so loving hard

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Yeah, if that's how the movie ended that'd be cool, I guess. But I also kind of wish that wasn't how they chose to have her reveal herself, as in near death experience. It felt like hot tub Time machine waiting to see if she was about to get it. I don't know how they could fix that, maybe have announced early she's in the next, but yeah, just unavoidable really.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hahaha. Of course.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Maybe they are the long time ago, galaxy far away version of your awful chud family on Facebook. Talking bout how the New Order has good ideas, and how it totally makes sense to blow up the Main system of the Republic because they were hiding weapons of mass destruction. Would really resonate I think.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
God I hope Rey's old man turns out to be Dexter Jettster.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hahaha. Of course.

The hardcore 'it's extremely good Rey's parents are nobody' crowd has already begun pivoting to 'Ren was lying, how would he know?' so this is inevitable.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Rey's parents will matter again, snoke's ghost will have a role interchangeable with if he had lived in the first place, the arms sellers masterminding all star wars will quietly go in the memory hole, and the rebellion will be staffed up from 10 people to the original amount again offscreen. And so RIP star wars 8, killed effortlessly by JJ being a hack

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The hardcore 'it's extremely good Rey's parents are nobody' crowd has already begun pivoting to 'Ren was lying, how would he know?' so this is inevitable.

I have not seen any of this because I am too smart to fall into the trap of interacting with people who enjoy Star Wars.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/thr/status/1047634789577023488?s=21

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If its a pastiche of The Rifleman Im in. If its about boba fett gently caress off

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Barudak posted:

If its a pastiche of The Rifleman Im in. If its about boba fett gently caress off

Jango trying to make ends meet as a former mercenary turned moisture farmer, teaching Boba to live like a proper Mandalorian. Every other episode will be Boba wanting a blaster and then learning he's not ready for the responsibility,while the other half of the episodes will be Jango reluctantly forced to shoot bad guys. Then at the end of the first season Sheev notices him and comes by with an offer...

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

You know who is a good, strong character that is a Mandalorian they could focus on? Sabine Wren

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Barudak posted:

Just straight up making a Star Wars western, with shootouts at high noon and not a lightsaber in sight, would own.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arc Light posted:

Just straight up making a Star Wars western, with shootouts at high noon and not a lightsaber in sight, would own.

Solo was almost this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arc Light posted:

Agreed. Sadly we will get none of that and instead probably get light-saber wielding Boba Fett who is actually the father of Oscar Isaac. Not his character, the actor.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
If you read the actual article, it claims that it’s someone else than Jango or Boba. It’s set post RotJ but pre TFA.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Aces High posted:

You know who is a good, strong character that is a Mandalorian they could focus on? Sabine Wren

Agreed, now imagine the fanboy meltdown about how we finally get a story about a Mandalorian and the SJWs made it a woman instead of Boba Fett god dammit!

I mean this as a positive, btw.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BigglesSWE posted:

If you read the actual article, it claims that it’s someone else than Jango or Boba. It’s set post RotJ but pre TFA.

I think one of two things will happen:

-In the pilot episode, his identity will be unknown. Everything will imply it's not Boba Fett. Then in the final scene of the pilot, we'll get some sort of reveal that it is actually Boba Fett.

-His identity will remain hidden throughout the entire first season. Then, in the final scene of the S1 finale, we find out it is Boba Fett.

There's no loving way they make a Mandalorian show and it's NOT about him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He's Boba Fett's clone, Bobaa Fett.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

His name is Toby

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jose Oquendo posted:

There's no loving way they make a Mandalorian show and it's NOT about him.

They had a Mandalorian as one of the main characters of the last Star Wars shows, and it was a girl named Sabine. They're fine using other Mandos.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 4, 2018

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Who is that idiot EU write that went all bananas on Mandos and ruined the EU and then went all nuts in Halo books as well?

She had bad ideas for bad books.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

He's Boba Fett's clone, Bobaa Fett.

Bobba Feet

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ammanas posted:

Bobba Feet

The antagonist of George Miller's Happy Feet 3: A Star Wars Story

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Who is that idiot EU write that went all bananas on Mandos and ruined the EU and then went all nuts in Halo books as well?

She had bad ideas for bad books.

Karen Traviss, and her treatment of the Mandos and Anti-Jedi sentiment is usually called The Travissty

She did a similar thing in the Halo novels

I've heard her early Republic Commando novels were good though - it's just when she started writing about Jedi that things went sour

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The anti-Jedi stuff would be fine by itself - you know, it would have its place - if it wasn't being done to make the Mandalorians look better. As I recall (and it's been a while since I read any of those books), there wasn't really much point to it beyond that. It wasn't "Look how bad the Jedi are" as much as "Look how good the MANDOS are compared to the Jedi". It just got tedious after a while.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Making jacen solo into george bush was a pretty hot take for sure

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

No Mods No Masters posted:

Making jacen solo into george bush was a pretty hot take for sure

In fairness that was a team effort with Denning and Allston.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Karen Traviss used to go on forums and argue with people, which (in a pre-Twitter world) I thought was much worse than any of her books.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Vinylshadow posted:

Karen Traviss, and her treatment of the Mandos and Anti-Jedi sentiment is usually called The Travissty

She did a similar thing in the Halo novels

I've heard her early Republic Commando novels were good though - it's just when she started writing about Jedi that things went sour

Does Karen Traviss get turned on by military fetishism?

She also wrote novels for Gears of War

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Top Gun posted:

Does Karen Traviss get turned on by military fetishism?

She also wrote novels for Gears of War

She was in the Territorial Army (the British equivalent of the National Guard in America, I suppose) for a time, but I'm not sure what the extent of her experience was or even what the years of her service were. In any case I think her portrayal of the MANDOS in her Star Wars books at least is influenced by the Gurkhas more than anything else.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Was this Karen Davis honorable jetpack military men bullshit before or after KOTOR because I'm pretty sure mando's were pretty much vikings that tried to start a war with jedi and be all gun-ho about trophies and glory of battle existed back then too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SirDrone posted:

Was this Karen Davis honorable jetpack military men bullshit before or after KOTOR because I'm pretty sure mando's were pretty much vikings that tried to start a war with jedi and be all gun-ho about trophies and glory of battle existed back then too.

Shortly after I think.

Her early Mando stuff isn't bad (and is pretty consistent with their other portrayals), it just gets progressively worse and worse over time.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Wheat Loaf posted:

In fairness that was a team effort with Denning and Allston.

In a press conference for Fate of the Jedi Allston was asked about how it was different from LotF and said

"Well, none of us is in love with Boba Fett..."

Seriously, he was one of the few competent EU writers and the only one to ever elicit an emotional response from their writing and it loving sucks that he's dead and they kept giving Denning work.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Splendid posted:

Seriously, he was one of the few competent EU writers and the only one to ever elicit an emotional response from their writing and it loving sucks that he's dead and they kept giving Denning work.

Legacy of the Force was the last EU series I read and even his books weren't very good. It was a shame because I had enjoyed his X-Wing books.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 5, 2018

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Legacy of the Force was the last EU series I read and even his books weren't very good. It was a shame because I had enjoyed his X-Wing books.

Same. It started like it might go somewhere with a complex, nuanced villain but that went out the window pretty fast.

I don't know why they thought a committee of writers for one plot was a good idea. The NJO was a mess but the ones that stood out were the self-contained story arcs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Splendid posted:

I don't know why they thought a committee of writers for one plot was a good idea.

Well, there's no reason it can't be, but in the case of Legacy of the Force they probably hadn't counted on Traviss getting up on her Mandalorian hobby horse and her ensuing feud with (primarily) Denning which arose from it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
If I remember right, a lot of Traviss' indignation at the time came from, ironically, being one of the few people to say that the Jedi as depicted in the PT were not the honorable romantic good guys the old EU had imagined them to be, that they were basically thugs and cops for the Republic Senate. So, I guess she was a decade ahead of a lot of people.

quote:

But once you're past the age of puberty and you start arguing passionately with me that the Jedi were right to accept a slave army of cloned human beings and use them in war, and cloned humans aren't proper humans like us, and it was too bad the clones died, and the Jedi had no choice - well, sweetheart, I want to run a mile from you.

The whole thing is actually pretty similar to what people have been saying to Cnut in the other thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

If I remember right, a lot of Traviss' indignation at the time came from, ironically, being one of the few people to say that the Jedi as depicted in the PT were not the honorable romantic good guys the old EU had imagined them to be, that they were basically thugs and cops for the Republic Senate. So, I guess she was a decade ahead of a lot of people.

She came very close but didn't put quite enough dots together to realise that the Trade Federation are the good guys, which is very disappointing. It's pretty obvious from line one of TPM (i.e. that the Senate has imposed xenophobic protectionist tariffs on trade routes to starve the Outer Rim into submission and the Trade Federation are opposing them).

In any event, my recollection is that she eventually flounced off over the Clone Wars cartoon not respecting her characterisation of the Mandalorians, having previously argued that she didn't feel obliged to pay attention to the characterisation of existing characters she was using from other stories.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 5, 2018