Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The stolen Touhou art was also Nobilis 3e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Nuns with Guns posted:

She was screwed over by for some edition of Nobilis (3e, most likely) for money. There may have been a rights dispute as well, but someone else will have to clarify. I believe the printer also ran off with a run of books and quietly hawked them on ebay. There was another book, (Chuubo's?), where she had to pay out of pocket for some expensive new art because it was found out that some of the contracted pieces were traced from Touhou fanart.

Pretty sure you're thinking of Nobilis 2E, which was printed by Guardians of Order. The same company that screwed over, uh, just about everyone who had any contact with them when they imploded, though Jenna Moran got it worse than most IIRC.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
And the people she hired to print Chuubo's took the money and did sweet gently caress-all with it, to the point of sending her proofs of a different book entirely when she asked for something months past the due date. Kickstarter people are only actually getting prints of Chuubo's thanks to the uncommon generosity of one of the backers.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Man, why is the TG industry such a shite-pool?

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Is it hard to find a printer for RPGs that isn't scummy? Honest question, I just figured with the number of printers around domestically that finding and vetting a legit one wouldn't be one of the more common failure points. Trying to set up manufacturing with some weird little factory in China you found online for a board game or whatever seems to lead to a lot of trouble, but I wasn't aware the printer side was also dodgy.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Desiden posted:

Is it hard to find a printer for RPGs that isn't scummy? Honest question, I just figured with the number of printers around domestically that finding and vetting a legit one wouldn't be one of the more common failure points. Trying to set up manufacturing with some weird little factory in China you found online for a board game or whatever seems to lead to a lot of trouble, but I wasn't aware the printer side was also dodgy.

The vetting process is cumbersome on account of a lack of professionalism in the RPG industry. Most RPG writers are, after all, not very good at business or even know a lick about it.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Desiden posted:

My understanding is that margins are so thin that not going with that foreign printer is extremely hard to justify, business wise. Also what was said above.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mr.Misfit posted:

The same factors that make it possible for anybody to get into making RPGs also mean it's impossible to throw anybody out. See all the people who are still in "the industry" even though they've made themselves unwelcome everywhere.

To clarify, Nobilis 2e was produced by Hogshead, and after they went under, Guardians of Order became the distributor and received the books to sell (but didn't own them). They sent out one quarterly check and then stopped answering mail, which I understand is what they did to basically all their business partners and buyers, although they kept accepting orders and money for a year after they quit actually doing anything. Jenna never got most of the copies of Nobilis 2e back, and it's been generally assumed that McKinnon sold them all on eBay.

(Eventually we got enough of the files in order to make a PDF to sell, minus the art by Charles Vess [he said he wasn't interested in digging up his originals], and it'll be in PoD if they ever start doing 11x11" PoD.)

Nobilis 3e was published by Eos. This was when the traced art thing happened, as at the last minute, it turned out that one of the Chinese artists Eos hired for most of everything had traced all his pieces from Touhou fanart and vocaloids. They all had to be replaced (mostly with better stuff).

Chuubo was kickstarted by Eos, who took the money for printing and left the development budget in Jenna's keeping. After waiting on the printing for over a year, Jenna asked for an update and got a picture of the supposedly-printed books which was fairly obviously four paperbacks stuffed into a Chuubo dustjacket. At this point she broke ties with Eos. Jesse Covner, the CEO of Eos, announced that he was just the CEO and it wasn't his responsibility, and he was closing the Kickstarter account and deleting all his messages because dealing with the problem made him sad, but the books totally exist, somewhere.

Thanks to a generous offer from a fan, kickstarter backers eventually got or are getting their books anyway via DTRPG.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Mr.Misfit posted:

Many nerds are terrible, and tabletop nerds are the nerdiest?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Low margins, low entry requirements, low standards, take your pick? All stuff that's pretty typical of a what's largely a cottage industry.

That being said, I would be careful to not let the horror stories outshout the quiet background noise of companies that truck along perfectly well without controversy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Physical books are basically a novelty for RPGs now.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Shelf candy

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Physical books are basically a novelty for RPGs now.
I love physical books. I need them for learning and running games because of all the flipping and bookmarking I do.

I'm groggy that way.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Desiden posted:

For my part, when we've done print runs for Golden Sky Stories books, we used a traditional printing company in Michigan that doesn't specialize in games or anything, and they've given us reasonable prices and excellent service. I suspect if we got into board games or big hardcover books we might have to look for cheaper options, but between the inherent issues in getting books made in China and shipped over here on a boat and the potential impact of trade tariffs (which are going to play hell with the costs of board game components), I'm really glad I don't have to worry about it for the stuff I'm publishing.

For basically everything else I've published I've just used POD, and while the quality isn't quite as good, it's still really good overall, and has the advantage that when IPR asks for more copies I can do some stuff on a website and have the POD company automatically ship books to them within a few weeks.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

dwarf74 posted:

I love physical books. I need them for learning and running games because of all the flipping and bookmarking I do.

for just reading I like digital but for poo poo where I'm going to have to flip back and forth I gotta have that physical

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Doorknob Slobber posted:

for just reading I like digital but for poo poo where I'm going to have to flip back and forth I gotta have that physical

Lol bookmark your pdfs

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
E-Books = weigh less carrying in pocket, P-Books = easier to read while poopin'.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I'm the opposite, I prefer reading from an actual book, but an indexed pdf (and especially one with clickable hyperlinks) is so much better for referencing. Hell you can even just keyword search.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don’t think I have ever seen a physical RPG book

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT EPUB

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Using paper books effectively and using e-books effectively are both skills, and I spent my childhood learning the first. It's easier and more convenient for me to get books and use them effectively than it is for me to use e-books effectively.

Additionally, the convenience of e-books for roleplaying is very limited if you don't have a sufficiently powerful tablet to load and swipe through big books with lots of design and art, and even more limited if you don't have a laptop.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
At this point unless you want to do a really fancy looking book I see no reason to bother with anything besides PoD from either Lulu or DriveThru

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah, DTRPG PoD is a pretty decent answer for small runs. Beats having a stack of books in your garage.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I would enjoy, though, if RPG ebooks are going to become or have become the de facto standard, that they would format their ebooks for that purpose, and not just have a real nice scan of a print document with maybe an index.

Something like how D&D Beyond does it in their mobile app if you've bought any books there.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I thought there were some Eos copies out there that a very few people got, but the majority were DTRPG PoD prints, even the DF copies.

I think there was a similar problem when the Red Markets KS moved from PoD to traditional printing in China and the print backers suddenly got hit with spiralling shipping costs, some greater than the pledge.

That said there is some evidence that upstream suppliers, especially manufacturers, are deliberately screwing KS projects because they know it’s harder for them to back out.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Imagined posted:

I would enjoy, though, if RPG ebooks are going to become or have become the de facto standard, that they would format their ebooks for that purpose, and not just have a real nice scan of a print document with maybe an index.

I keep telling people, ePub is the way, the truth, and the light. Specifically, the light of your phone, on which your entire library is referenceable!

hyphz posted:

I thought there were some Eos copies out there that a very few people got, but the majority were DTRPG PoD prints, even the DF copies.

Nope, nobody ever got any Chuubo books from Eos.

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

LatwPIAT posted:

UsingCreating paper books effectively and usingcreating e-books effectively are both skills
and nobody loving knows how to do the second one.

Seriously. E should make it easier to read footnotes, but no. And to arbitrarily flip multiple times between three or more sections of a book for cross-reference purposes, but so far the very pinnacle of this technology is the sophisticated "fingers stuck between pages" methodology. For now, it's e for linear, tree for reference.

LatwPIAT posted:

Additionally, the convenience of e-books for roleplaying is very limited if you don't have a sufficiently powerful tablet to load and swipe through big books with lots of design and art, and even more limited if you don't have a laptop.

And this is an important observation, with the additional point that for many PDFs, that "sufficiently powerful tablet" doesn't exist because they're so poorly crafted. When your book takes 1.5 seconds to flip a page, gently caress you.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Alhireth-Hotep posted:

And this is an important observation, with the additional point that for many PDFs, that "sufficiently powerful tablet" doesn't exist because they're so poorly crafted. When your book takes 1.5 seconds to flip a page, gently caress you.

Back in my teen years I had a crappy computer and I downloaded the core PDF for Shadowrun. 4th edition, probably.

The PDF didn't have its design layers flattened. So every image had a background layer of scanlines. And then on my chugging PC, the image slowly loaded, scanning over the lines.

It would've been an amusing effect, in keeping with the Shadowrun aesthetic, if it wasn't both slow and a show of technological incompetence.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LatwPIAT posted:

This is the main thing for me, my tablet is pretty garbage for any PDF that is particularly heavy and I don't have a laptop. Some day I'll probably buy a laptop, but for now physical books will have to do for most things

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bewilderment posted:

Back in my teen years I had a crappy computer and I downloaded the core PDF for Shadowrun. 4th edition, probably.

The PDF didn't have its design layers flattened. So every image had a background layer of scanlines. And then on my chugging PC, the image slowly loaded, scanning over the lines.

It would've been an amusing effect, in keeping with the Shadowrun aesthetic, if it wasn't both slow and a show of technological incompetence.

Technical incompetence is Catalyst Game Labs' bread and butter.

Their SR5 ebook wasn't even indexed for the first two years.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Epubs are a terrible format for tables, any kind of intricate typography, and images, so you're not gonna see most RPG publishers supporting them fully for the foreseeable future.

Layout artists can definitely make lighter-weight PDFs, as long as they're not named Luke Crane, but you're gonna be better served buying a cheap laptop and using control-F, or just going to the copy shop and doing your own PoD if it's not available.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

grassy gnoll posted:

just going to the copy shop and doing your own PoD if it's not available.

our office printer was locked down to just the admin team being allowed to use it :(

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

Epubs are a terrible format for tables, any kind of intricate typography, and images, so you're not gonna see most RPG publishers supporting them fully for the foreseeable future.

You can do tables fine in ePub, although if you're the kind of RPG with huge tables they won't be readable on a phone.

As for not having images and crazy fonts, I mean, that's the point. Most of the existing RPG ePubs (basically all the ones not made by me) are mediocre because they try to shove in things that only look good in a big fancy PDF, instead of playing to the format's strengths, so you get giant images rendered in black-and-white stretched the wrong way on a Kindle screen and fonts that you can't read.

You can do elegant typography in ePub; it just looks different than it does in a print book.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

Huh, cool! That's a neat set of books, I hope you like them.
For running it... words

While back, but wanted to drop a line and say that it was an absolute fantastic first session. We were all blown away.
Took a little bit to figure out a few things, and probably still got them wrong (what is the homeland sheet? Is it a map/blank paper?) We ended up just using our 36x48 chessex wet erase mat and started drawing stuff. Everyone got real into it, now we have a pretty detailed homeland with plenty of space for more stuff, and a whole side of it was expanded on in our first session out into the wasteland.
I'm really tempted to write it up but what was fun for us might not translate into good reads.
Anyway, thanks for making a cool system :v:

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Spiteski posted:

While back, but wanted to drop a line and say that it was an absolute fantastic first session. We were all blown away.
Took a little bit to figure out a few things, and probably still got them wrong (what is the homeland sheet? Is it a map/blank paper?) We ended up just using our 36x48 chessex wet erase mat and started drawing stuff. Everyone got real into it, now we have a pretty detailed homeland with plenty of space for more stuff, and a whole side of it was expanded on in our first session out into the wasteland.
I'm really tempted to write it up but what was fun for us might not translate into good reads.
Anyway, thanks for making a cool system :v:

Glad to hear it! And yeah the homeland map is just a piece of paper or whiteboard or whatever that you sketch out the map on. Should probably make that clearer in the second printing...

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Yea it sort of fit when we started playing and it was telling us to check and add to the homeland sheet, glad we got that right.

It was interesting for all of my group to wrap their head around the zooming in and zooming out. Even I didn't understand or realise how powerful that was as a mechanic. We collectively went "Ohhh, that's how quick characters and everything works". We had sort of been autopiloting and beginning to discuss how everyone's characters would end up working together from the get-go from all over the homeland, but instead we did a few zoom-ins in each others settlements/caravans to introduce everyone and set some world building for each of their families. Everyone had a blast (including a few Mad-Max WITNESS ME!!!) moments with the tyrant kings family, as is only right.
You were right about how many moving parts there are though, sort of juggling between papers, handout cards, and quick reference sheets but I'm sure that'll get less of an issue as we get used to it. As I said before, it's mostly our first PbtA game, and certainly different from the usual games we've played.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
What all legacy hacks exist right now?
I know of World fall, Generation Ship and the Castlevania one I can't remember the name of, are there others? Or other released official content?

Edit: nevermind, I'm a dingus and found it.

Nea fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 6, 2018

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Neopie posted:

What all legacy hacks exist right now?
I know of World fall, Generation Ship and the Castlevania one I can't remember the name of, are there others? Or other released official content?

Edit: nevermind, I'm a dingus and found it.

There's also a kickstarter just finshed for 3 more that I just found the other day as well. It's over but you can preorder I think still

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Not sure this is the right place for this, but here goes. I have many old tabletop RPG books, mostly from the late 90s / early 00s, and I am certain that I will never use them again. They take up way too much space to justify hanging on to them for sentimental reasons. I don't really care about getting money for them. I want them to 'go to a good home' so to speak, but I have no idea how to find someone who would want them. I also don't want to be bothered to unload them individually.

Have any of you unloaded RPG books in the past? Would anyone want them outside of Goodwill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Magnetic North posted:

Not sure this is the right place for this, but here goes. I have many old tabletop RPG books, mostly from the late 90s / early 00s, and I am certain that I will never use them again. They take up way too much space to justify hanging on to them for sentimental reasons. I don't really care about getting money for them. I want them to 'go to a good home' so to speak, but I have no idea how to find someone who would want them. I also don't want to be bothered to unload them individually.

Have any of you unloaded RPG books in the past? Would anyone want them outside of Goodwill?

I don't know if you use Facebook, but there are generally "RPGs/DnD in [area]" pages. I know there is one locally for me, so might be worth checking out? Likely to find someone who will use it, but equally likely to find someone who will simply sell it on too if you're just giving it away.