Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

meatsaw posted:

Thank you. That makes sense. So it's either that or putting them on fat wire like Splicer suggested. I was trying to avoid the decor hit, but now I wonder what people are doing to keep the generators aware of what % the batteries are at. I don't remember the generator side wires ever melting before because of this. I don't want the dupes running the generators all the time because the transformer blocks them from seeing the battery %. The fat wire solution fixes that I guess. I went on the official forums but only found a discussion about which side of the transformers to put the batteries on ...

You could almost definitely put a batter on the thin side. I don't know how fast/slow it would drain into the heavy side though. I guess it depends on how much power your consumers are drawing, which also would mean that effectively, it wouldn't matter. Since you're inputting into the heavy wire, it's not like you'll back-feed power into the battery or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Any tips for early game power gen? How long should I be using the wheels?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
FOREVER Until you need uninterrupted power through the entire cycle, though you can sort of mitigate that with heavier battery backup on the hamster wheels. Start small with a single coal gen to get a feel for what it does.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dr. Carwash posted:

Any tips for early game power gen? How long should I be using the wheels?

Commonly folk won't use coal gen until they have smart batteries and automation in order to keep the coal use down. But your mileage may vary.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I've generally gone for smart batteries before actually building coal to save on fuel. Just build a smart battery, connect an automation wire from it to the generator and you're gold.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Thanks guys. I tired a single coal plant for the first time around cycle 13 (too early?) and it just seemed to instantly use up all my coal. I'll try the smart battery.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also helps if you get a hatch ranch started sooner rather than later, for basically free coal.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I could swear there's only 1K on the left side. If you put 2K on the left side of that transformer, the wire on the right side is going to overload, which is what I meant to say.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

You could almost definitely put a batter on the thin side. I don't know how fast/slow it would drain into the heavy side though. I guess it depends on how much power your consumers are drawing, which also would mean that effectively, it wouldn't matter. Since you're inputting into the heavy wire, it's not like you'll back-feed power into the battery or something.

So what are people doing now? Just using fat wire and taking the decor hit? I have enough high morale stuff at this point (great hall, good food, etc). I was just surprised when the thin wire from the gens started melting, but I can see it's because it's connected straight to the battery array, which themselves are connected together by fat wire. I'm assuming at this point you can't have thin wire touch fat wire at any point.

2 manual generators -> thin wire -> batteries connected together by fat wire -> transformers -> thin wire 1k segments

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Mayveena posted:

I could swear there's only 1K on the left side. If you put 2K on the left side of that transformer, the wire on the right side is going to overload, which is what I meant to say.

Still wrong

You can have twenty billion watts on the left side, it doesn’t matter.

A good way to think about the transformer is like this: it’s smaller side becomes “pull”, i.e. the stuff attached to it pull only as much power as they need onto the circuit. In other words, the only things that can overload a circuit are the buildings that consume power.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

meatsaw posted:

So what are people doing now? Just using fat wire and taking the decor hit? I have enough high morale stuff at this point (great hall, good food, etc). I was just surprised when the thin wire from the gens started melting, but I can see it's because it's connected straight to the battery array, which themselves are connected together by fat wire. I'm assuming at this point you can't have thin wire touch fat wire at any point.

2 manual generators -> thin wire -> batteries connected together by fat wire -> transformers -> thin wire 1k segments

Hide the fat wires but use them. Connect fat wires to power plants, batteries, and transformers. Everything else connects to transformers which are only loaded as high as they can go. Where decor matters use big transformers with fancy wires.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hide the fat wires but use them. Connect fat wires to power plants, batteries, and transformers. Everything else connects to transformers which are only loaded as high as they can go. Where decor matters use big transformers with fancy wires.

Got it. So the battery recharge threshold on the manual generators is useless now?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Still wrong

You can have twenty billion watts on the left side, it doesn’t matter.

A good way to think about the transformer is like this: it’s smaller side becomes “pull”, i.e. the stuff attached to it pull only as much power as they need onto the circuit. In other words, the only things that can overload a circuit are the buildings that consume power.

My brain processes this differently apologies. Yes the draw from the buildings is what determines it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

meatsaw posted:

Got it. So the battery recharge threshold on the manual generators is useless now?

Not entirely; I think dupes just ignore the generator and won't refill it until the batteries get to that threshold but really a smart battery is waaaaaaay better at not burning all of your fuel immediately.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Not entirely; I think dupes just ignore the generator and won't refill it until the batteries get to that threshold but really a smart battery is waaaaaaay better at not burning all of your fuel immediately.

Ah. Thanks for tolerating my ignorance. I figured there was more that could be done with the automation portions.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah do your best to hide fat wires, battery banks, and the transformers that break it out into thin wires in service tunnels, utility rooms, etc. that are set up not to be pathed through by anyone who doesn't have specific business with them. But don't be afraid to break out short lengths of fat wire in the small number of places where it can't be avoided like to reach power plants and high power industrial equipment. Just don't place them where dupes will see them unless they have to.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

W/regard to SPOM construction, mine featured two electrolicizers which still didn't spit out enough hydrogen for a single pump, so it worked out being a little more efficient. Also it produced enough oxygen for the whole base then backed up, which just slowed the machine down. It worked pretty well for 8 dudes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah do your best to hide fat wires, battery banks, and the transformers that break it out into thin wires in service tunnels, utility rooms, etc. that are set up not to be pathed through by anyone who doesn't have specific business with them. But don't be afraid to break out short lengths of fat wire in the small number of places where it can't be avoided like to reach power plants and high power industrial equipment. Just don't place them where dupes will see them unless they have to.
I've started working my bases toward

Generators in cold biome
Transformer |insulated wall| Base
Etc
(or the other way around depending where the cold biome is)
Then I put one skinny wire per floor through the floor tiles and forget about it.

I'm planning to try to improve the heat management of my next run by putting in a couple of coal generators and a carbon skimmer.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Dr. Carwash posted:

Thanks guys. I tired a single coal plant for the first time around cycle 13 (too early?) and it just seemed to instantly use up all my coal. I'll try the smart battery.

I find that a coal gen with a two/three big batteries works really well for that period between level 1 and the level 3 tech you need for smart batteries.
When your power usage is low enough, those batteries can run your base for a long time so it's easy to manually turn on/off your generator. Once you start to use more power than a single coal gen can provide during the day, the night cycle then refills the batteries for the next day.

Meanwhile yes, you tech up to smart batteries and find another source of power before your starting coal runs out.

I hate wasting dupes on the wheel as their labor is an incredibly precious resource early on.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I find that a coal gen with a two/three big batteries works really well for that period between level 1 and the level 3 tech you need for smart batteries.
When your power usage is low enough, those batteries can run your base for a long time so it's easy to manually turn on/off your generator. Once you start to use more power than a single coal gen can provide during the day, the night cycle then refills the batteries for the next day.

Meanwhile yes, you tech up to smart batteries and find another source of power before your starting coal runs out.

I hate wasting dupes on the wheel as their labor is an incredibly precious resource early on.

This. Basically you put a dupe on a wheel and that's basically one additional dupe you have to feed. I'll do nearly anything to get coal going ASAP.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Just starting playing this recently. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of polluted water. Some guys couldn't make it to the bathroom and after I mopped it up it's in bottles everywhere

It also seems to emit germs and stuff

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You need a bottle emptier set for polluted water only dumping into a place you plan on using for your polluted water res

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
So. Patch preview tomorrow, at least of Klei sticks to their usual schedule.

Hoping for lots of new content as their final content push before they switch to balancing and bug fixing.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Just starting playing this recently. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of polluted water. Some guys couldn't make it to the bathroom and after I mopped it up it's in bottles everywhere

It also seems to emit germs and stuff

Use my Easy Peasy start and you won't have this issue.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_W09ftcvI-Pt8nXtkYWc9JcnpmiLbyijqO8Tx05eOe8/edit?usp=sharing

Hint: it starts out recommending that you don't try to learn the game with germs/stress on.

The actual answer to your question is to create a basin for polluted water outside of your base, put a bottle emptier in a place where you can empty it into the basin, set that bottle emptier to priority 9, and then mop the polluted water.

E: real link

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 4, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

So. Patch preview tomorrow, at least of Klei sticks to their usual schedule.

Hoping for lots of new content as their final content push before they switch to balancing and bug fixing.

They've already said they finalizing the rocketry upgrade, so I don't know if that fits your lots of new content or not?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Mayveena posted:

Use my Easy Peasy start and you won't have this issue.

https://t.co/UNrQrPdGkU

Hint: it starts out recommending that you don't try to learn the game with germs/stress on.

The actual answer to your question is to create a basin for polluted water outside of your base, put a bottle emptier in a place where you can empty it into the basin, set that bottle emptier to priority 9, and then mop the polluted water.

Nice I'll try that, thanks!

That link is wrong I think. Goes to some engadget article.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
So after playing around with my experiment using algae terrariums, I recycled my PW to feed my farms due to running out of water and having to dig all the way to oil to find a water geyser.

Except, turns out, fyi, PW is full of germs and those germs survive the filtration process. So now my dupes are growing food in germ water and putting germ water in their drinking fountains. They're probably going to die horribly, or maybe they'll be fine. But if anyone else is interested in my algae terrarium experiment: It actually works pretty well. the only real problems is that it is labor intensive on dupes (but so is powering wheels), and it will spread germs if you don't contain it in airflow tiles. All in all, it was fun.

Next up is to automate my kitchen and farm plots.

User0015 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 4, 2018

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It’ll be fine as long as you cook the food.
Edit: I have not played since they introduced fountains though. Maybe it’ll hit the germ limit and they’ll automatically decontaminate it? That’s what happens to a Super Computer.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 4, 2018

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
What's the easiest way to kill off food poisoning germs in regular water, anyway? Right now I'm just having it lie around in the caustic biome at 40 degrees Celsius, which slowly kills off the germs, but I'm curious if there's a faster way to do it.

(I have no clue if it's the 40 degrees or the chlorine killing the germs off, honestly. It could be both.)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Nice I'll try that, thanks!

That link is wrong I think. Goes to some engadget article.

correct link
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_W09ftcvI-Pt8nXtkYWc9JcnpmiLbyijqO8Tx05eOe8/edit?usp=sharing

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

nrook posted:

What's the easiest way to kill off food poisoning germs in regular water, anyway? Right now I'm just having it lie around in the caustic biome at 40 degrees Celsius, which slowly kills off the germs, but I'm curious if there's a faster way to do it.

(I have no clue if it's the 40 degrees or the chlorine killing the germs off, honestly. It could be both.)

When I had the issue I used a Liquid Tepidizer to heat the water up to around 70c. Then you need to cool it back down using a cold biome. You might be able to pipe it back through Thermo Aquatuners submerged in a cold water pool to cool it down. I haven't tried that though.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I think the tepidizer is why the sieve has a fixed output temperature, by design.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I think enraged_camel will be happy with this one :)

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/96112-space-industry-testing-branch-now-open-288237/

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

This and the above are spoilers, should have said so.

Very odd.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Hopefully that's the last content patch for a while, they seriously need to balance and polish what they have.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ratzap posted:

Hopefully that's the last content patch for a while, they seriously need to balance and polish what they have.

It is the last content patch til at least after 1.0

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Can't use abys as a material anymore!!! Also vacuums everywhere, assume a bug. And lastly this version is super laggy.

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011

nrook posted:

Brothgar on YouTube had a neat trick. You pump the germy water into the new liquid container and surround that with chlorine.

edit to add link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_8waNNlxUk&t=923s

ColTim fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 5, 2018

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I never really liked the idea of using something like a tepidizer to create heat, and then spending so much time fighting the presence of heat elsewhere. It takes a little bit more work but I find putting germy polluted water I care about de-germing (which is really not much of it, what with cooking food being fairly normal) in situations like being my coolant for refineries and the like and then being stored in already hot caustic biomes to be plenty of heat application to kill off the germs. Then I'm not creating more heat, just using what's already out there or going to be produced by my machines anyway for more useful ends before fighting to get rid of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shadowlz posted:

When I had the issue I used a Liquid Tepidizer to heat the water up to around 70c. Then you need to cool it back down using a cold biome. You might be able to pipe it back through Thermo Aquatuners submerged in a cold water pool to cool it down. I haven't tried that though.
Submerge your aquatuners in your pwater pool! Get your cooling and your heating all in one!