Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
would you weebs stop trying to make guns that wound marines effortlessly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

JcDent posted:

would you weebs stop trying to make guns that wound marines effortlessly

Plasma and melta already exist and are available at Tier 1 character creation, ain't need weeaboo fightan guns to do that.

One thing that has kind of surprised me in this endeavor is that there's absolutely a formula to all of this. I'm far too used to systems that treat weapon statistics more along the lines of "a longsword does a d8 and an axe does a d12 because gently caress you that's why." Being able to at least map out that a S4 AP 0 D1 weapon becomes 10+1ED AP 0 (with a handful of traits) is satisfying.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Speaking of, am I reading it right that a Shuriken Pistol (10+1ED; AP 0; Range 24m; Salvo 2; Penetrating [3], Pistol) is beefier than a Lasblaster (7+1ED; AP 0; Range 48m; Salvo 4; Assault)?

Edit also is Dual-Wielding, like, Shuriken pistols going to be worth the points for the talent?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Werix posted:

Well and also remember, for every First Born, or Cadian Karskin regiments there are like 500 regiments made up of people from hive cities that were living a poo poo life, pressed into service with the Guard, and if they survive more than the estimated 15 hours on the battlefield then what? They're going to return to the lower hives to work in a factory? Return to the gangs barely getting by in the underhive?

I'm sure so many of them jump when given the option to stay on the world they just conquered, even if it is to be part of its new PDF.

It mainly depends what the imperium needs at that moment. NCOs. Trainers for PDF or the next crop of 500 regiments of hivers.

The imperium doesn't settle the veterans on newly conquered planets for their benefit. They settle them on newly conquered planets because they want a population of loyal, pious imperial citizens who are handy with a lasgun put on that planet. Morale and recruitment benefits from picts of guardsmen turned homesteaders and administrators are a bonus.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

Speaking of, am I reading it right that a Shuriken Pistol (10+1ED; AP 0; Range 24m; Salvo 2; Penetrating [3], Pistol) is beefier than a Lasblaster (7+1ED; AP 0; Range 48m; Salvo 4; Assault)?

Edit also is Dual-Wielding, like, Shuriken pistols going to be worth the points for the talent?

Yeah. Lasblaster is only a S3 weapon in the wargame, so it comes out with lower damage. Shuriken pistol gets Penetrating because it has a better AP on a wound roll of 6. The tradeoff is that you get more shots with the lasblaster and you're on the move with it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Felime posted:

It mainly depends what the imperium needs at that moment. NCOs. Trainers for PDF or the next crop of 500 regiments of hivers.

The imperium doesn't settle the veterans on newly conquered planets for their benefit. They settle them on newly conquered planets because they want a population of loyal, pious imperial citizens who are handy with a lasgun put on that planet. Morale and recruitment benefits from picts of guardsmen turned homesteaders and administrators are a bonus.

I'm pretty sure benefits against Picts was one of the reasons, though?

:confused:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

Plasma and melta already exist and are available at Tier 1 character creation, ain't need weeaboo fightan guns to do that.

One thing that has kind of surprised me in this endeavor is that there's absolutely a formula to all of this. I'm far too used to systems that treat weapon statistics more along the lines of "a longsword does a d8 and an axe does a d12 because gently caress you that's why." Being able to at least map out that a S4 AP 0 D1 weapon becomes 10+1ED AP 0 (with a handful of traits) is satisfying.

you're not going to run into 6 Guardsmen with plasma guns on the reg.

Also, as the "can a guardsman kill an ork with a lasgun shows," the game isn't that well balanced.

So it takes after the TT very much in that regard :v:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

PantsOptional posted:

Yeah. Lasblaster is only a S3 weapon in the wargame, so it comes out with lower damage. Shuriken pistol gets Penetrating because it has a better AP on a wound roll of 6. The tradeoff is that you get more shots with the lasblaster and you're on the move with it.
Huh. Okay. Guess it's the gun to use if you don't want it to be immediately obvious who murdered a dude.

Las guns go pew pew make a searing "crack". What kind of noise do shuriken guns make? Schwing! Some kind of whine as it mills and spits out blades?

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Rockopolis posted:

Huh. Okay. Guess it's the gun to use if you don't want it to be immediately obvious who murdered a dude.

Las guns go pew pew make a searing "crack". What kind of noise do shuriken guns make? Schwing! Some kind of whine as it mills and spits out blades?

My headcannon is that they sound exactly like these.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Is that pineapple? Sure it's not some Dark Eldar splinter rifle?
Also, I was going to suggest shuriken guns have more recoil than a lasgun, but its Eldar bullshit and probably has something to cancel it out.

I've got a <any> keyword to fill out - what are some good one for an Eldar corsair smuggler/spy type? Kind of a gangster that also sells off rumours intel back to the Craftworlds.
Cold Trader?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The scream of a circular saw blade traveling at supersonic speed.

Exactly like a guy playing a saw with a bow.

Like a cd stuck on a dremal to make it explode.

Like a high pitched bullroarer.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Rockopolis posted:

Is that pineapple? Sure it's not some Dark Eldar splinter rifle?
Also, I was going to suggest shuriken guns have more recoil than a lasgun, but its Eldar bullshit and probably has something to cancel it out.

I've got a <any> keyword to fill out - what are some good one for an Eldar corsair smuggler/spy type? Kind of a gangster that also sells off rumours intel back to the Craftworlds.
Cold Trader?

Isn't that what the Rangers are?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Hm. I thought the Rangers were more...Ranger-y? Like, wandering around and staying hidden kind of spy, not "talks to gangsters and bribes corrupt officials"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You just want the pirates. All the young kids rebelling against the strict formalities of normal life, pottering off to raid fringe worlds and impose their superiority on the filth while occasionally ferrying Harlequins around.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I think that fits into the <coterie> keyword. I've got to pick/make up what gang he's with.

I should take a look at the other applicants - I think there's one other Corsair, and at least one Rogue Trader?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Rockopolis posted:

Hm. I thought the Rangers were more...Ranger-y? Like, wandering around and staying hidden kind of spy, not "talks to gangsters and bribes corrupt officials"

I was just glancing at the wikis, but it made them seem like they were closer to an outlaw with vaguely "patriotic" feelings towards their craftworld or the Eldar in general; they may not be a part of the criminal world, but they're willing to immerse themselves in it as a means to an end.

Edit: Another option is to just make a corsair who purely engages in social banditry.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 2, 2018

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

goatface posted:

The scream of a circular saw blade traveling at supersonic speed.

Exactly like a guy playing a saw with a bow.

Like a cd stuck on a dremal to make it explode.

Like a high pitched bullroarer.

https://youtu.be/swsUvZRFkeM

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
This is exactly what shuriken guns sound like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3iTux5mxa0

Yes, including the fake "pew pew" noises

JcDent
May 13, 2013

MizPiz posted:

I was just glancing at the wikis, but it made them seem like they were closer to an outlaw with vaguely "patriotic" feelings towards their craftworld or the Eldar in general; they may not be a part of the criminal world, but they're willing to immerse themselves in it as a means to an end.

Edit: Another option is to just make a corsair who purely engages in social banditry.

I think Corsair is just how close the Eldar get to crime; in truth, they're just out there raiding non-Eldar because they don't want to be anspect warrior, mooom. Like the historical corsairs, they have the blessing of the rest of the eldardom to pirate.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Crossposting from Recruitment, since most of you interested are probably here. I'm recruiting for a new game:

Game: Out of the Frying Pan...
System: Warhammer 40K RPG: Rogue Trader
Format: Voice Chat via Discord
Players: Up to 7
Description:

Grab your bolters and whisper a prayer to the Emperor--we're off to explore the Koronus Expanse, a practically uncharted sector of lost worlds teeming with humanity, harsh planets hiding vast deposits of minerals, and foul hives of Xenos demanding to be purged. But it's not just a sandbox. I also have a plot threaded through it all--one of intrigue and politics, conflicts both subtle and overt, over stakes that could change the fate of the Imperium itself--if you choose to follow it.

I'm looking for up to 7 brave souls to join me. Veterans and newbies equally welcome. I want to run the game slightly less grimdark and more in the style of "Heroes of the Imperium" with mighty characters, great deeds, and ample opportunity for profit.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Is there an example anywhere of what an astropathic communication looks like? That is to say, what the final product looks like that gets handed to the captain or whomever. I know there are a lot of examples of those logged communications that have the Thought of the Day included in them but those seem far too formal for astropathy.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

PantsOptional posted:

Is there an example anywhere of what an astropathic communication looks like? That is to say, what the final product looks like that gets handed to the captain or whomever. I know there are a lot of examples of those logged communications that have the Thought of the Day included in them but those seem far too formal for astropathy.

I think the Navis Primer describes them more as a series of images, impressions, and sounds that the receiving astropath has to interpret. Like they might have code images, etc.

This is in many ways stupid, and just about every game I've ever played in treat them like Morse code messages. Words go in one end, and come out the other. Basically like thought sending on a cosmic scale.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Yeah the way the Navis Primer goes into it, it sounds like the messages are visions deeply personal to the individual Astromancer that require some interpretation. Which I agree doesn’t really make sense with the straightforward interpretation of the message into text. How exactly does the statement “Meet here at these coordinates: xx,yy,zz” translate into a vision?

I treat it more like a standard data transmission that may get garbled with noise requiring correction to read properly.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Most of the subsystems from the Navis Primer are hard-mode rollfests anyway, so you can probably treat them as exaggerations at most. If you're being charitable you might instead treat them as low-level descriptions of things no one pays conscious attention to, like assembly code as compared to modern programming languages.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

What, is the rest of the Astropathic Choir the registers?

poo poo, now I want GW to farm the license out to Zachtronics.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Formalised emojis.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rockopolis posted:

poo poo, now I want GW to farm the license out to Zachtronics.

Oh god yes oh yes oh yes oh yes oh yes.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Klaus88 posted:

:rolldice: "You take a direct hit from a rail rifle."

:downs: "Crap, how much damage does it do?"

:rolldice: "You fail to understand the catastrophic implications of a rail rifle hitting a guardsman sized target. You're a cloud of misted blood and bone shrapnel unless you want to burn a fate point."

I feel like that GM might not understand a lot of things. Hope the game got better.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Relevant Tangent posted:

I feel like that GM might not understand a lot of things. Hope the game got better.

Treating damage narratively instead of fiddling with hit points actually owns

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If you're going to do that then you probably shouldn't have a weapon designed to oneshot Space Marines being fired at an individual in a guard company. Also, rolling for damage matters in a game where you're explicitly supposed to be able to not necessarily get oneshotted. If you think it's better for the game if people die instantly that's cool.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Or you've been handing out fate points too freely and really need to cut that economy back.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Has anyone tried using Roll20 to play Wrath and Glory? Is it reccomended.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

PantsOptional posted:

There was a scene in the novel Blind that showed what the astropathic choir for Hydraphur, main naval base of Segmentum Obscurus, looks like. The chief astropath sends his astral form into the warp and catches a ball of info. It overwhelms him to the point that he starts babbling what the message contains, and scribes write it all down.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
90% of that message is probably just routing info.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The truest horror of the 41st millennium is the protocol overhead for TCP/IP over psychic carrier.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Astronomicon also provides the Imperium's only DHCP and DNS servers.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
This raises an extremely important question:

What do you do when you need to reset your astropath?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
You get the comically oversized wooden mallet.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Dachshundofdoom posted:

You get the comically oversized wooden mallet.

Ahem, I think you'll find it's :commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The Ciaphas Cain novels have video transmission via astropathic choir, complete with Cain going "Wait, can you handle video?" to the receiving astropath and the astropath going "Sure, it's easy, you just [technobabble]." And then the video ends up killing that astropath because it's full of chaos bullshit, but they still get it recorded so they can watch it on lovely grainy monitors.

But, you know, Ciaphas Cain. It could be taking the piss.