Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Booley posted:

It looks like you still have to be in the uk to order that?

Yeah, my sleep deprived brain inserted "fellow" before British goon as lot people here can't find them in store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Ork players have a right to be nervous about this orktober rollout considering the way GW botched Necronuary and Wolfuly, not to mention genestealercultugust.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Those are terrible names. Orktober is a great name.

Orks got nothin' to worry about! :)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

We got nothing to lose after being so meh for years.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
So I am getting to the end of painting my current batch of Tau, and with that comes the question of what I do next and I am being a bit indecisive. I could expand my tyranids, but I don't really have any desires for particular models so it would only be for crunch reasons. I don't really want to paint models for crunch reasons alone, particularly with the potential for chapter approved to shake things up. As a result I am thinking I will start a new army, right now I am flip flopping between GSC and Orks. GSC has the advantage that I could integrate them with the tyranids, particularly while they are in progress. However, I am not super into to mining crew aesthetic, which means I would effectively be doing tyranid-themed guard and I am just coming off a repetitive to paint army which somewhat turns me off. Orks have the advantage that I could have some fun with the paint scheme and being able to have fun on less repetitive models with plenty of opportunities for extra touches on models. I think I might die if I had to paint endless hordes of boys tho, so I am really hoping that 'kans/bikes/mechanized in general is viable in the new codex, but along with GSC I have no idea how either are going to be after codex. :shrug:

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

R0ckfish posted:

As a result I am thinking I will start a new army, right now I am flip flopping between GSC and Orks.

Knights! Each one can be totally individualized with conversions and freehand, and 7 models gets you a whole army.

To actually address your question, mixing a guard box with bits from the neophyte kit can yield some amazing results and minimize the mining aesthetic if you want. You can eat up chunks of points with allied guard vehicles too so you need not paint a high model-count force.

This is my selfish suggestion because I want to see more sweet GSC ITT.

On the other hand wait a week or two and get all aboard the Mad Max (Mad Mork?) Orkspress.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I still have 2-3 weeks of tau to paint, so I am at least waiting to hear about the new Orks codex. I am somewhat against knights just because there are an insane number at my LGS already, when I was there last thursday that every table had at least one.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

LingcodKilla posted:

We got nothing to lose after being so meh for years.

Don’t jinx it. I’m very seriously worried that mob rule is going to get nerfed to ‘balance out’ the new clan traits.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm almost willing to bet money that mob rule will get nerfed into uselessness.

Because Orks can't have nice things.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Mob rule is good when it's only accounting for the number of models in an individual unit. The current implementation where you use the total number of models regardless of unit is bad and makes morale basically not matter against a decent Ork player.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Daisy chaining mob rule is also really irritating, where you can have a mob of 30 boys halfway across the map but their LD hops and skips six inches at a time between characters and other boys mobs to the unit that just lost 20 and they give no shits despite being two solid feet away from the big mob.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

They changed that with the first "big FAQ"

Mob rule is now the model count of that unit or the model count of another unit within 6"

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Floppychop posted:

They changed that with the first "big FAQ"

Mob rule is now the model count of that unit or the model count of another unit within 6"

One of our local Ork players has been playing it incorrectly for a good long while now, then.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Strobe posted:

One of our local Ork players has been playing it incorrectly for a good long while now, then.

So 'ez a Morka den.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
So I have a massive Chaos Daemon army from AOS, and I am wondering which units are even worth taking in 40k.

Having never used any daemons in 40k, I am really not sure how good these things are, since most of them have no guns.

But so I have:

2 GUO
Rotigus
1 Poxbringer
1 Sloppity Bilepipper
1 Spoilpox Scrivener
Horticulus Slimux
Epidemius
Daemon prince with wings and Axe
6 Nurglings (6 more unassembled)
90 Plague Bearers (With 3 sets of commands)
6 Plague Drones (With 6 more unassembled)
12 Plague Toads
3 Beasts of Nurgle

I also have the Corbax Utterblight model here somewhere

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Strobe posted:

Probably revenge for having to rebase all his Orks to play.

richyp fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 4, 2018

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

How have people been taking their devestator squads? Seems that 2 Lascannon 2 HB is pretty common, but would throwing in a missile launcher for flack missiles be worth the points over 1 HB? Also, extra bodies or keep it at 5 man?

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Flakk missiles are pretty great with a cherub, I would take at least one. Assuming you have a wide variety of targets, devastators are generally a low priority, especially if they’re squatting in cover far in the backfield.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Maneck posted:

Maybe the new boyz will be the size of current nobz.

God if only. GIMMIE DEM 'ARDBOYZ, I WANNA KRUMP SOMEBODY

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Black_Nexus posted:

So I have a massive Chaos Daemon army from AOS, and I am wondering which units are even worth taking in 40k.

Having never used any daemons in 40k, I am really not sure how good these things are, since most of them have no guns.

But so I have:

2 GUO
Rotigus
1 Poxbringer
1 Sloppity Bilepipper
1 Spoilpox Scrivener
Horticulus Slimux
Epidemius
Daemon prince with wings and Axe
6 Nurglings (6 more unassembled)
90 Plague Bearers (With 3 sets of commands)
6 Plague Drones (With 6 more unassembled)
12 Plague Toads
3 Beasts of Nurgle

I also have the Corbax Utterblight model here somewhere

Most of what you have there is a perfectly serviceable Nurgle army. Nurgle Daemons have the great benefit where almost every model they have is good-to-great, so it’s a matter of your play style and model preference really.

Great Unclean Ones (and Rotigus) can get priority targeted and whittled down quickly, especially if the rest of your army is infantry or characters and there’s no better place for lascannons and the like to go. At least to start, I might suggest leaving them off as they’re expensive points-wise and it always stinks to lose a great unit quickly. Daemons are swimming with great support characters; Poxbringers, Bilepipers, etc are excellent to form a horde of nigh-unkillable infantry that do gross damage when they arrive.

One thing you may want to consider is some method of anti-tank, as your daemons have short range and are slow to boot. Maybe look into a supplemental detachment of some type of vehicles or walkers with guns? Up to how you want to take it, but without long range support the first few turns will be a shooting gallery for your opponent.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
My dev squads are usually 2 HB, 1 lascannon, 1 missile and maybe an extra bolter boi to soak up pot shots. Sometimes replace 1 HB with a second lascannon but I feel that starts making them too big of a target.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I run my Dev squads with 3 Las, 1 Plasma and 2-3 standard marines. The sergeant means I can overcharge the plasma every round without fear of blowing up.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I'm amazed noone has mentioned this yet.

It was some idiot quisling from a backwater geedub store, but we should laugh at them regardless.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

xutech posted:

I'm amazed noone has mentioned this yet.

It was some idiot quisling from a backwater geedub store, but we should laugh at them regardless.

GW stores already suffer from being overpriced, doing anything to encourage people to go elsewhere is dumb and bad.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
More because of the models I have available than anything, but I run devastators with 4 missile launchers. Good against hordes, solid against tanks that aren't T8, and my meta doesn't see a ton of that. Also flakk missile is nice

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How do you "afford" free tournaments? What do they give as the prize?

And I think his idea was good (encouraging people to try different units) but how he didn't see it as "pay 2 win" seems like an impressive lack of critical thinking or awareness.

:thunk:

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I imagine you could give away old demo game models? Like the stuff they put out for Dark Vengeance demos. They’re always painted nicely and it’s not like GW wants them back.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/04/4th-oct-orktober-reveal-the-mysterygw-homepage-post-3/

Hopefully it's all three.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Sab669 posted:

How do you "afford" free tournaments? What do they give as the prize?

And I think his idea was good (encouraging people to try different units) but how he didn't see it as "pay 2 win" seems like an impressive lack of critical thinking or awareness.

:thunk:

Misc stuff you have lying around the place that's going to get tossed anyway. Promo poo poo, old displays, etc.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Frankly I'd be bummed about getting a random ols model, but then I don't like assembling poo poo and I'm lukewarm on painting. I'd much rather store credit so I can get stuff I actually want.

Fortunately for me I'll never have to worry about winning a tournament :v:

Also holy poo poo I never knew I needed an Ork food truck until now.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheBigAristotle posted:

More because of the models I have available than anything, but I run devastators with 4 missile launchers. Good against hordes, solid against tanks that aren't T8, and my meta doesn't see a ton of that. Also flakk missile is nice

Hell, same. It happened to be the only heavy weapon I had four of, and I built it back before split-fire was a thing. In retrospect I'd rather have plasma cannons (to leverage the DA strategems) or Lascannons (to leverage being rad as hell), but since the two main armies I play against are Marines and Orks, I appreciate the versatility of the missiles.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Black_Nexus posted:

Sloppity Bilepipper
Spoilpox Scrivener
Horticulus Slimux
Corbax Utterblight

ya'll just making up words right

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

PierreTheMime posted:

Most of what you have there is a perfectly serviceable Nurgle army. Nurgle Daemons have the great benefit where almost every model they have is good-to-great, so it’s a matter of your play style and model preference really.

Great Unclean Ones (and Rotigus) can get priority targeted and whittled down quickly, especially if the rest of your army is infantry or characters and there’s no better place for lascannons and the like to go. At least to start, I might suggest leaving them off as they’re expensive points-wise and it always stinks to lose a great unit quickly. Daemons are swimming with great support characters; Poxbringers, Bilepipers, etc are excellent to form a horde of nigh-unkillable infantry that do gross damage when they arrive.

One thing you may want to consider is some method of anti-tank, as your daemons have short range and are slow to boot. Maybe look into a supplemental detachment of some type of vehicles or walkers with guns? Up to how you want to take it, but without long range support the first few turns will be a shooting gallery for your opponent.

Thanks, I have some death guard which I have been slowly painting up but I don't have any long range tanks.

Maybe I'll grab some predators, I do have 3 Nurgle looking Obliterators so I could use those. And two Hellbrutes, I could assemble one as a Las/Missile Launcher.

I do need to pick up one of the Big Nurgle tanks too.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

ya'll just making up words right

Living the Nurgle Dream

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Black_Nexus posted:

Thanks, I have some death guard which I have been slowly painting up but I don't have any long range tanks.

Maybe I'll grab some predators, I do have 3 Nurgle looking Obliterators so I could use those. And two Hellbrutes, I could assemble one as a Las/Missile Launcher.

I do need to pick up one of the Big Nurgle tanks too.
Obliterators are not available to Death Guard :(

Helbrutes and Predators offer accurate shooting at the cost of “only” good toughness. Plagueburst Crawlers are ridiculously durable (T8 with Daemon save and DR) but that BS4+ really hurts. Hits like a brick, when it hits.

Black_Nexus posted:

Living the Nurgle Dream

:zombie::hf::zombie:

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Oh I hope it’s squigs. I’ve got every squig ever released (except the big FW squig hopper statue). I’d love some more.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I am fairly sure it is all three, squigs can be food or equipped with explosives! :science:

R0ckfish fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 4, 2018

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Yeah, it's all three. It's a car for people who want to toss bomb squigs around.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
I want Primaris Devastators. Especially with ammo backpack belt fed autocannon.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah idk between knights, leviathans, and plaguebursts S8 missiles aren't very good right now. Take one for flakk but don't take 4 of them

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Skails posted:

I want Primaris Devastators. Especially with ammo backpack belt fed autocannon.

Here's what I want. I want Primaris Breachers, with big cool-looking shields, wearing a variant of Mark X armor that takes inspiration from Mark II and III armor the same way the Intercessor/Hellblaster armor takes inspiration from IV and VIII, i.e. close enough that you could pass them off as truescale Mark II or Mark III by using the original II or III shoulder pads and helmets.

Hell, do both. Have the Breacher and Devastator kits close enough that you can swap parts between them, the same way Intercessor and Hellblaster kits essentially work.