Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm not having children because I have absolutely no faith in the future, and watching a human life I nurtured from infancy and loved more than myself struggle and suffer in the hellworld that's coming seems like the worst possible third act for this one ridiculous life I've been given.

See, my parents have told me fairly candidly that they felt pretty much the same about the world in 1991 but they decided to have me anyway. I don't get it. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
good god did jastiger rise from his grave?

here's an unpopular opinion: i think it's good that obama told em' to make a presidential alert that hits every phone. i don't think that's a political opinion, i just feel its good to be notified if something big is about to happen. would be a funny way to announce that everyone's being drafted

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

CrRoMa posted:

I'm not for or against having children but i have one close friend who is adamant he never will and I feel it takes a certain level of selfishness and a certain lack of self awareness to make that kinda statement I'm your 20s. Part of me wants kids because it feels a natural part of being an animal and ai wouldn't want to get to 60 and feel i missed that. Good luck to my friend though I'm sure he'll eventually find happiness with his 5 holidays a year and golfing at 7am every weekend.

(Hes also had a decent full time job for a decade and still lives at home with his folks though so i dunno)

The people who are most adamant about that kind of stuff are the ones who, once they get married and have one, they won't ever stop and will become the most obnoxious facebook friend you have with constant baby posting. Just give it a few years. Almost all of my friends who were super-"childfree" back in highschool/college are now the same "mombie" caricatures they used to rage against.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Of course it's largely immaterial for me, because my own mother has told me that she thinks I should never have children because she thinks I would be a bad parent ("You care about no one but yourself and that cat," was her assessment, which in fairness is entirely accurate). :D

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Agent355 posted:

There is a genetic thing that makes bitter food taste way more intensely bitter than other people experience it. Do chocolate bars/ice cream taste bitter to you? It does to me and I also can't enjoy any alcohol stuff just because it tastes super awful.

Not really, they are still very sweet. Actually, sweet, sour, bitter, salty, all that is pretty extreme for me and about the only "flavors" I get. I had some severe sinus issues a few years ago and lost about 90% of my sense of smell, and it fucks up the way things taste for me.

Ommin has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Oct 4, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I sincerely, honestly and genuinely don't understand why people have children or want to have children. Fair play if you do but I cannot see the reward of it at all and I just don't get it; I'm far too self-centred; I can't imagine anyone but myself being at the centre of my own world. I don't even understand why my parents wanted to have me; I wouldn't want to have me if I was my parents.

:same:

We can have this screaming pooping potato for years that sucks up an immense amount of time and money -or- we can keep doing nice things at our leisure and going places and generally enjoying life.

The other part to it and co-unpopular opinion: Sometimes kids really just turn into horrible people no matter how sweet and measured their parents were, I don't trust the universe to not pull some poo poo, I'll stick with the person I know I love that's good.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
I'm terrified my first kid is going to be just a big dummy. A total blockhead. I don't mean in a developmental way. Just fuckin stupid and unable to change.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just buy a fourwheeler or waverunner instead of having a kid. Cheaper, more fun, and if you get a defective one you don't have to pretend it's a blessing and can just go get it fixed.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not to mention that none of your children will be alive in 2100 when the global temperature has gradually raised by 7 degrees.

from this point you have 82 years.

that's it, and the world will probably be unlivable waaay before then.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

not to mention that none of your children will be alive in 2100 when the global temperature has gradually raised by 7 degrees.

Yet another reason to start a legacy of waverunners. Just saying.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there will be no humans, why does no-one understand this, we're all going to be dead.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

that's it, and the world will probably be unlivable waaay before then.

Isn't...isn't right now "waaay before then"?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
big chunks of the ice shelf are rapidly sinking into the ocean since last year so uh...

yeah, watch what happens next.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We're all so hosed.

"The window may now be as narrow as around 15 years of current emissions, but since we don’t know for sure, according to the researchers, that really depends on how much of a margin of error we’re willing to give ourselves."

we're all dead.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Turtlicious posted:

there will be no humans, why does no-one understand this, we're all going to be dead.

Yes there will.

Don't get me wrong, climate change is a catastrophe and is going to cause unimaginable suffering but it won't kill literally all humans.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Turtlicious posted:

We're all so hosed.

"The window may now be as narrow as around 15 years of current emissions, but since we don’t know for sure, according to the researchers, that really depends on how much of a margin of error we’re willing to give ourselves."

we're all dead.

I'm looking at a yellow sky and this building is shaking, but it's supposed to be night here in the southwest.

so agreed

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
we're fine lol

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Just buy more powerful air conditioners

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

Wave👏Run👏Ners👏

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
we need to build a race of robots that will live on after us and live in the wreckage of our civilization but never be able to understand us.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wave👏Run👏Ners👏

Ok, I'm starting to catch on to this idea. Are we thinking like a Waterworld situation? I live kind of far from a coast. Should I go for the four wheeler instead?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yesterday I saw a take I've not seen in some time, namely the "Allied bombing of Nazi cities was morally the same as the Holocaust". I do not agree with this. It is a revisionist view and one that I hope we continue to move away from. In any case, the fact is that the overwhelming majority of the people in Dresden and Cologne wanted the Nazis to win the war and many if not most of them were Nazis themselves.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yet another reason to start a legacy of waverunners. Just saying.

Is this... Is this a Waterworld joke?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

But you know what the most irritating thing is, though? Even though I never want to have children and even though my mind is boggled that other people do... I still feel like I must be missing something or missing out on something. It sometimes annoys me that I don't feel the way they feel. It makes me feel like I'm deficient in some way.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yesterday I saw a take I've not seen in some time, namely the "Allied bombing of Nazi cities was morally the same as the Holocaust". I do not agree with this. It is a revisionist view and one that I hope we continue to move away from. In any case, the fact is that the overwhelming majority of the people in Dresden and Cologne wanted the Nazis to win the war and many if not most of them were Nazis themselves.

That's a pretty stupid take they have. You can't conflate a justified war with genocide. Yeah innocent people did die in the bombings and there were war crimes on both sides, but in this case one side was very much farther toward the "right" side of things morally than the other. Targeting civilians is admittedly harsh, but when you're in total war with a fanatical enemy I can understand wanting to quickly break their spirit as a people and end it.

Saying "there were good people on both sides" is a stupid thing to say for a reason - not because it's not true, but because it doesn't mean anything.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I hope everyone dies before me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

But you know what the most irritating thing is, though? Even though I never want to have children and even though my mind is boggled that other people do... I still feel like I must be missing something or missing out on something. It sometimes annoys me that I don't feel the way they feel. It makes me feel like I'm deficient in some way.

"You ever want kids, or thinking about having kids? Go to Chuck-E-Cheese on a Saturday afternoon. You'll leave and buy yourself a dog."

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Turtlicious posted:

we're all dead.

The human race is unlikely to out right end but WW3 and mass death is a real possibility. There will be conflict and troubles, due to places like Texas, India and large parts of Africa becoming uninhabitable. Simultaneous technological advancement can help, but the corrupt capitalist system prevents those remedies from being widely applied. The creation of sanctuary zones, guarded by autonomous killbots, is likely.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

A life without at least some meaningful responsibility is not fit for the human. It doesn't have to be having a biological child; that's just one kind of continuity. But, yeah, I'd say it pays to be invested in some things beyond your own freedom and leisure.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Caufman posted:

A life without at least some meaningful responsibility is not fit for the human. It doesn't have to be having a biological child; that's just one kind of continuity. But, yeah, I'd say it pays to be invested in some things beyond your own freedom and leisure.

There's just my little cat. He is a good kitty.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wheat Loaf posted:

I sincerely, honestly and genuinely don't understand why people have children or want to have children. Fair play if you do but I cannot see the reward of it at all and I just don't get it; I'm far too self-centred; I can't imagine anyone but myself being at the centre of my own world. I don't even understand why my parents wanted to have me; I wouldn't want to have me if I was my parents.

This is some serious goons.txt

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
“I wouldn’t want me if I was my parents” is the most honest statement ever written on these forums

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's just my little cat. He is a good kitty.

I believe that he is :)

May we be worthy of our pets' affection.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

zapplez posted:

I mean not so much, a whole lot more people are completely not about having kids anymore, happens when you've watched so much go rocketing straight down the shitter for most/all of your life. :shrug:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

I mean not so much, a whole lot more people are completely not about having kids anymore, happens when you've watched so much go rocketing straight down the shitter for most/all of your life. :shrug:

most of these people are in their 20s though and will change their mind later. It's easy to say that kind of stuff when you're single, but give one of them a girlfriend who is really in to starting a family and most of them will throw their "i don't want to raise a child in this world" moral stance out the window.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yardbomb posted:

Its not goony to not want to have kids. Its super goony to not even be able to fathom why others choose to have a family.

Also

"I sincerely, honestly and genuinely don't understand why people have children or want to have children.... I can't imagine anyone but myself being at the centre of my own world"

is distilled goonery

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zapplez posted:

I'm the first to admit that I have a lot of personality flaws.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

“I wouldn’t want me if I was my parents” is the most honest statement ever written on these forums

And I mean it, too.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Most of these people are in their 20s though and will change their mind later.

This really sounds like something you'd hear 15 years ago or something but not really anymore, kids genuinely aren't worth it anymore to a whole lot of people. I mean I know a good handful who basically ran into that scenario and still said "You can forget that", because screw having kids when it's hard enough living at all right now unless you're a crook or have daddy's money, it ain't worth all that mess just to have some nebulous feeling of "completeness" or whatever. Not to mention women who also take the "I'd rather have free time and money than inflict the US on anyone else thanks" route, myself included.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
It's okay to not have kids, but lol if you lie to yourself about not having them because you think the world is bad.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The biggest reason some people responded negatively to Final Fantasy 13 is that it was the first Final Fantasy with a female protagonist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

There wasn't a good final fantasy after final fantasy 3. Another phuo: I think it's dumb to call it final fantasy 6 as an american who bought it as final fantasy 3 and the box/cartridge says final fantasy 3 on it.