Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I'm putting the game down now. I haven't had a single game in about 15 games where I didn't die to an avotmat or dolche or crown and king. I am often not really outplayed its just those weapons are too strong in a fair fight. And even if I get the drop on someone unless I can one shot them it is almost impossible to win a fight against those. Sure if I can hear an avto in the distance I can avoid it but sometimmes I don't know if someone has one until its too late.

I know I am complaining a bunch but I really don't understand how those weapons belong in this game in their current state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I dont know where all these mythical avtos you are so angry about are. I havent seen one in probably 40 games. and that guy got his face murdered with a machete iirc.
simple situational awareness beats an avtomat every time. sneak up and Romero the dick. or stalk him and put a winny round through his skull when he holds still too long. or just follow him to the boss and then jump em midfight.
Frankly, these should be your engagement strategies no matter the enemy's weapon. Play to your strengths, don't whine about theirs.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Rysithusiku posted:

the big deal is neither clothes nor weapon choices. yeah those both matter, but the BIG thing is post-33 you're getting dropped into the general population. No longer are you against the other rank 25 player, now you're against a rank 84 with 17 prestige ranks.
There is no population splitting besides "under 34" and "not". That is why you suddenly get a difficulty curve like running face first into a brick wall.
If you get killed by anyone 100 or with prestige ranks, dont feel bad at all about it. because when you finally get that bastard back it is SO sweet. And you will, eventually.

I believe the most recent updated split it into 3 ranks of 0-33, 34-66, 67-100, the problem is it does not take prestige into account at all, so after you prestige you're permanently in that 66-100 tier. Also I'm not entirely sure if the 0-33 rank prevents you from bringing along a higher ranked buddy in your duo.

quote:

It doesn't help that at the moment, there are a lot of needlessly toxic dudes who just run around with Avtovats and act like assholes in VOIP for no reason. Doesn't exactly help grow the game.

I very rarely encounter the avtomat or toxic behavior so this is very much YMMV

Basticle fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 2, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Loaded into a game super late for some reason. So late that both bosses were dead when I came in.

OK. But they were super close. My partner must have also loaded slow, because he was unresponsive and staring off into space. As I crossed the map, the banish finished, and both teams collected their bounties and decided to throw down the gauntlet. I washalfway to them when my partner came alive, and started running his rear end toward me.

Awesome.

Both of them must have been out of darksight by the time I showed up. I edged in close, closer, and opened up from behind the first team while they were engaged with the second. One team was pinned down in the reeds, caged by water devils. The other was closing in from the shoreline south of Blanchett, using the boardwalk. My first shot was a near-hit headshot thrown off by sway, and seconds later, a third team opened up from the direction of Pitching.

Things got very busy, very fast.

I had the advantage of cover and an insulating layer of water devils, but the Obrez doesn't have enough ammo for a fatal fourway and I ran dry pretty quick. One of the swamp-bound bounties realized being shot at from three directions sucked, and charged out toward me. He got devil'd up, I downed him with the side-by-side, and snatched up his bounty just as his partner came in- and I got the notice that my own had extracted.

We traded shots, chasing each other around the shack. I put four shells into him, but couldn't get a clean hit. He pressed me with a Dolch, but must have been running low on ammo. Whatever his main weapon, he never used it. Desperate, I took a chance and threw my concertina bomb, then rounded the corner where my darksight told me he was and-

He wasn't there. I panicked, 360'd, looked around. Nothing. The other team split while we were fighting, so it was just me and the mysterious hunter that should have been RIGHT loving THERE and wasn't. I peeked around the other side of the shack, and-

He'd been perfectly caged in by the wire and couldn't move, or bash his way out without making noise. Poor guy.

Basticle posted:

I very rarely encounter the avtomat or toxic behavior so this is very much YMMV

I don't see it too often, but I guess when you have about five Avtovat/oddly angry internet men games in a row, you kind of notice.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It's something that's been brought up over and over again but gets dog piled on about. The game is super shaky about match making and weapons balance buts super early access so it's par for the course.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Just let us take weapons from the murdered dead and this problem will rapidly solve itself.

Obviously, with a block on looting teammates.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Sard posted:

Just let us take weapons from the murdered dead and this problem will rapidly solve itself.

Obviously, with a block on looting teammates.

I'd be ok with this

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
That would drastically alter how the game works. Not sure if it would be better or worse but it would definitely be very very different.

Rysithusiku posted:

I dont know where all these mythical avtos you are so angry about are. I havent seen one in probably 40 games. and that guy got his face murdered with a machete iirc.
simple situational awareness beats an avtomat every time. sneak up and Romero the dick. or stalk him and put a winny round through his skull when he holds still too long. or just follow him to the boss and then jump em midfight.
Frankly, these should be your engagement strategies no matter the enemy's weapon. Play to your strengths, don't whine about theirs.

What is your bloodline?

You do realize not all avtomat users are mouth breathing idiots, and they will likely play to their strengths and have "simple situational awareness" as well.

Also there is nothing mythical about it. I'd say since getting past 66 I encounter an avto in about 60-70% of my matches. This is likely due to the player base shrinking and only the real tryhard/marathon gamers sticking around. An injection of new players would likely help this problem.

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 2, 2018

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Skyarb posted:

That would drastically alter how the game works. Not sure if it would be better or worse but it would definitely be very very different.

What is your bloodline?

You do realize not all avtomat users are mouth breathing idiots, and they will likely play to their strengths and have "simple situational awareness" as well.

Also there is nothing mythical about it. I'd say since getting past 66 I encounter an avto in about 60-70% of my matches. This is likely due to the player base shrinking and only the real tryhard/marathon gamers sticking around. An injection of new players would likely help this problem.

Until they end up hitting the wall like what you're feeling.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Glenn Quebec posted:

Until they end up hitting the wall like what you're feeling.

Lol yup. It's just those three weapons that really ruin my experience. I never care if I'm killed by literally any other weapon.

But the devs have been a bit vocal lately about how they are aware of the problems with weapon balance, but it might take time to correct.

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 2, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Some of the weapon balance stuff is ???

But the weapons themselves need to be more upfront with information. A lot of people, for instance, don't know how many shots it takes for each weapon to kill. They don't know about range degradation. Shotgun damage being changed by barrel length? Again, something that needs to be in big flashing letters on the UI.

As someone that just started using rifles a lot, I'm only just starting to figure out what penetrates what. A Winnie can't pen a fence, but that isn't apparent. The Vet can't pen a piece of tin ( like hanging from the railings at Catfish ), but you'd think it should be able to.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Yes. The bolt action, lever action, pistol firing nature of this game goes out the window eventually and it feels bad. Despite people acting all stunned and blown away by these "mystery" claims.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I haven't played in about a month. Did I magically get better while I was gone? :ohdear:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've been watching people play this game on my downtime and i've heard one of those autofiring fuckers in every match i've watched.

That gun is terrifying.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Let me take a moment to talk about how much I hate Water Devils from a design standpoint.

Being out in the water is threat enough. There's no cover. You move slowly. I get that you want to add an enemy to liven up water travel, but gently caress these things because:

1) What role are they supposed to fill? From the amount of sound they generate, you'd think they're supposed to be a kind of annoyance enemy, a pest that you're supposed to take care of, or avoid. But they aggro for days and they're widespread enough that avoiding them is frequently out of the question. But they also take a lot of hits, they're fast, and they shred health.

2) Their model lies. You'll put shots on target that hit nothing, hitting them when they're moving is- annoying.

3) They steal your throwing knives if you kill them that way.

4) They give a tremendous advantage to the defender in certain boss-zones.

I hate them so much.

dogstile posted:

That gun is terrifying.

The only two things that "balance" the Avto are the cost, and the amount of ammunition it uses, which... doesn't really balance it at all for a list of reasons.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Let me take a moment to talk about how much I hate Water Devils from a design standpoint.

Being out in the water is threat enough. There's no cover. You move slowly. I get that you want to add an enemy to liven up water travel, but gently caress these things because:

1) What role are they supposed to fill? From the amount of sound they generate, you'd think they're supposed to be a kind of annoyance enemy, a pest that you're supposed to take care of, or avoid. But they aggro for days and they're widespread enough that avoiding them is frequently out of the question. But they also take a lot of hits, they're fast, and they shred health.

2) Their model lies. You'll put shots on target that hit nothing, hitting them when they're moving is- annoying.

3) They steal your throwing knives if you kill them that way.

4) They give a tremendous advantage to the defender in certain boss-zones.

I hate them so much.

The only two things that "balance" the Avto are the cost, and the amount of ammunition it uses, which... doesn't really balance it at all for a list of reasons.

1) Yes they do a bit too much of everything. They are an incredible noise trap, they do intense amounts of damage, and they straight up area deny lots of the map.
2) Yup they suck
3) There needs to be a way to quietly deal with them since throwing knives like you said steal them. They have so much health too silened weapons take forever to kill them.
4) I'm ok with them helping a bit like any mob/noise trap but agreed its way too much.

I like the water devils in concept, I really do. And I have certainly killed other hunters due to devils in the past. But they are so so strong. They're area of detection is huge even if you are crouching. Decoys work on them but then they make a gently caress ton of noise. Its really odd.

They need to be toned down but I don't want to see a water mob go away since I think it is actually a good idea for the game but in their current state they really suck.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I think 2 things need to happen to the Avtomat:

1) slow the rate of fire down, As one of few completely fictional weapons in the game there is literally no reason it has to be that high.

2) instead of reducing the total ammo you can carry like they did a few updates ago, they should just reduce the magazine size. Right now its I think 20? Make that poo poo like 5 or 10.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Basticle posted:

1) slow the rate of fire down, As one of few completely fictional weapons in the game there is literally no reason it has to be that high.

2) instead of reducing the total ammo you can carry like they did a few updates ago, they should just reduce the magazine size. Right now its I think 20? Make that poo poo like 5 or 10.

Don't have automatic weapons period. Its a bad weapon, it breaks the flow of normal lever action, methodical firing. Get rid of it completely.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Basticle posted:

A far cry from just be stealthy and ???? What automatas? In 644 hours I've never ran into them.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
A semi-auto Avtovat with a ten or five round magazine would still be a strong gun. Maybe not 1,800 dollars strong, but you can adjust that. Just make it a rifle Dolch and call it a day.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

You'd be surprised how many people didn't cotton on to the idea that water is bad so the water devil is a good way to really drive that point home. Even without that though, I really like them. They're the kind of enemy the game needs more of, something that is hard to deal with because you shouldn't be trying to confront it. It adds a lot of suspense; if I'm running at full speed for a good reason, then when I get to a body of water there's more going on with the decision to take a water shortcut besides stealth concerns. Plus, they remind me of those water lurkers from Amnesia, so that's cool.

Decoys, as usual, are the answer to dealing with them. Chuck one as far as you can and cross the water quickly.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

A semi-auto Avtovat with a ten or five round magazine would still be a strong gun. Maybe not 1,800 dollars strong, but you can adjust that. Just make it a rifle Dolch and call it a day.

Balancing by cost I don't think is ever really the main or most important way to balance. Not that it isn't important, but even if the avtomat as it is now was $3k it would still be worth it.

I still think even semi auto weapons break the feel of the game and don't belong.

Sard posted:

Decoys, as usual, are the answer to dealing with them. Chuck one as far as you can and cross the water quickly.

I agree this works surprisingly well but I hate that it still alerts everyone in a radius equivalent to a dog pen or horse neighing that HEY I AM HERE. I can distract hounds or armoreds without letting everyone know within a 100m radius that I am nearby. I don't think they need to be so loud.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I need to never use the sawn-off. Two barrels from ten feet into a guy's chest, ran at him, thinking he was almost dead. Connected with the buttstock of my Sharps.

He turns around and machetes me, didn't even take a down.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

They already have the Dolch Precision though?

Real talk they should just get rid of the avtomat altogether and replace it with a Winchester 1895 which is a lever action rifle that feeds from a box magazine and was made in full sized rifle cartridges such as 7.62x54r, so it would have the fire rate of the Winfield 1873 and use Large ammo like the Mosins and Uppercut.

Not sure why this game has a Mosin instead of like a Krag or whatever but ehhhh if they add more maps that take place globally it would make a little more sense.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 3, 2018

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

New map location https://www.huntshowdown.com/news/the-history-of-fort-carmick

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Two potential boss spawns. Three if there's an underground area.

More water tho :tif:

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Yikes, the updates they announced on the stream today are not sitting well with me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HuntShowdown/comments/9ldqxt/dev_highlights/

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Literally nothing in that list looks good except trainee mode. They're "fixing" the wrong things and adding a BR mode just makes me want to vomit. The point of this game is that it ISN'T just another stupid BR game.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Quick play looks gross as hell. Not at all what I expected.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Skyarb posted:

Yikes, the updates they announced on the stream today are not sitting well with me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HuntShowdown/comments/9ldqxt/dev_highlights/

I knew RDR2 was gonna pull me away from other games, but this seems designed to drive me away on its own. drat.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

It's possible they will put their spin on it and it will be good, but mother of god that is a slim prayer.
The much better hope is there is a massive backlash against this terrible idea and they actually listen and trash it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Some of those changes look OK or interesting. Some of them make no sense at all. Like changing the ammo on the Vet and Uppercut. Why?

:shrug:

Quickplay is a hard pass for me but maybe it'll draw more people into the game. I dunno.

Edit: Reducing damage on melee is dumb. If you reduce it too much, melee becomes pointless because the damage is not comparable to the risk you take getting in that close.

If you aren't going to have a blocking system, the easiest fix would be to make it so you can only hold a charged shot for so long, and possibly make it so that heavy swings cost more stamina.

Let's look at the familiar machete scenario: You get in close to someone, and you're trading shots. They take out a machete and charge you. What happens?

1) You run from him. This usually doesn't work because he just keeps pace with you. You likely die.

2) You shoot him. This will almost certainly result in a trade unless you have a high damage or high ROF gun, like a side-by-side or a Dolch.

3) You take out your own melee weapon. Again, almost certain to be a trade.

It doesn't much feel like skill factors into any of those scenarios, because there aren't a lot of ways to deal with it. And unlike the majority of the melee weapons, it is almost impossible to miss with the machete. The arc is, head and shoulders, above every other melee weapon in the game.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 4, 2018

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Some of those changes look OK or interesting. Some of them make no sense at all. Like changing the ammo on the Vet and Uppercut. Why?

:shrug:

Quickplay is a hard pass for me but maybe it'll draw more people into the game. I dunno.

Edit: Reducing damage on melee is dumb. If you reduce it too much, melee becomes pointless because the damage is not comparable to the risk you take getting in that close.

If you aren't going to have a blocking system, the easiest fix would be to make it so you can only hold a charged shot for so long, and possibly make it so that heavy swings cost more stamina.

Let's look at the familiar machete scenario: You get in close to someone, and you're trading shots. They take out a machete and charge you. What happens?

1) You run from him. This usually doesn't work because he just keeps pace with you. You likely die.

2) You shoot him. This will almost certainly result in a trade unless you have a high damage or high ROF gun, like a side-by-side or a Dolch.

3) You take out your own melee weapon. Again, almost certain to be a trade.

It doesn't much feel like skill factors into any of those scenarios, because there aren't a lot of ways to deal with it. And unlike the majority of the melee weapons, it is almost impossible to miss with the machete. The arc is, head and shoulders, above every other melee weapon in the game.

If you are shot when holding a melee charge you should stagger and lose the charge

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I spent literal seconds on this

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Some of the stuff is good. Tier 0 being removed and people being given guaranteed tier 1s? This is cool and good for people who are learning. Softer matchmaking for newbies? Cool. Skill-based matchmaking? Cool.

Other changes are baffling. Dolch with no reloads? Eh. That's dumb. At least give it half a clip. A better option would be playing with the rate of fire, or even the capacity, making it something more comparable to the Obrez or the Uppercut but with medium ammo.

The Uppercut nerf, uh... why? It isn't that much better than the Obrez as it stands, and it costs more. You could just make it not work with fanning, like the Nagant Officer. It's a slow ROF weapon that requires skill to use, and is cheap enough that newbies can start playing with it.

Why nerf the Vet? The only reason I can think of is because it is preferable to the Mosins. No poo poo. Maybe if they didn't bleed ammo without Bulletgrubber...

The Dolch and the Uppercut are as popular as they are because the Officer is the only other real choice, unless you're running fanning. A lot of weapons are just plain not viable without a strong secondary, severely limiting the guns you can take.

Also the Spectre is in a really stupid place right now

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Whoever is in charge of weapon balance needs to be fired, thats for sure.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

the uppercut ammo was nerfed because it carries the same ammo as the moisin. this way if you're carrying an avtomat with an uppercut you only get 12 extra rounds, not 18.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Rysithusiku posted:

the uppercut ammo was nerfed because it carries the same ammo as the moisin. this way if you're carrying an avtomat with an uppercut you only get 12 extra rounds, not 18.

jesus loving christ

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

same reason they hit the vet. shares with dolch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I know, its so loving dumb.