Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Car dealership question: I bought a car from one of the Mercedes dealerships here in Edmonton. Since they have limited stock of the GLCe (the plug-in), I have to get it special-ordered. They tell me it's gonna arrive sometime in November, but I get a reasonable deal on this. No problem, my wife's current truck is old but functional.

I get a call this week from the manager that apparently Mercedes-Benz has put a 'mandatory option' on the first production run of the 2019s, and that I can only get it with the sport option which I didn't want. This means the car will be $1500 more than what I wanted. Or, I can wait until they open up the production lines to cars with less options and get the vehicle at some undetermined point in the future. Since it's my wife's car, I want to talk to her before making a decision.

I talk to my wife about this and she is hella pissed, saying stuff about 'bait and switch' and 'have they ever sold cars before.' I phone the manager back, he checks for about five minutes and then says, 'oh, we can get you the car you originally ordered at the end of November, same price we agreed on without the excess option.'

The gently caress? Did this guy just cave because I called him on his bullshit? I don't recall anything about 'mandatory options' when I was buying either my Mini or Volvo, but I got those off the lot. I didn't feel it was normal for 'high-end' dealerships to pull bush-league stunts like this but maybe I'm just naive since I only buy a car every 8 years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'd pull the order just on principal and go elsewhere. They need consequences for their bullshit.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's sad that buying a used car privately from across the province is an easier and quicker and seemingly more honest method for acquiring a nice car than going to the dealership.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Albino Squirrel posted:

The gently caress? Did this guy just cave because I called him on his bullshit? I don't recall anything about 'mandatory options' when I was buying either my Mini or Volvo, but I got those off the lot. I didn't feel it was normal for 'high-end' dealerships to pull bush-league stunts like this but maybe I'm just naive since I only buy a car every 8 years or so.

Your wife is right, this is bait and switch. Buy from somewhere else, these guys are scumbags.

File a complaint against the sales manager, AMVIC might actually have some teeth now that they've taken out a few buy here pay here lots (yeah right): https://portal.amvic.org/Pages/en_U...pe=complaintfrm

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

lol, this is Alberta, there is no "somewhere else"

Even if the 2 Mercedes dealerships in Edmonton aren't owned by the same group, they are almost certainly in cahoots.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

There were 4 of these in Alberta. 3 owned by Suncor then auctioned off, and this mystery one. The owner doesn't know the history. I wonder if powershift does...

Hard to get a sense of scale, but this if equipped with the crane and outriggers could pick up a 70's Unimog (u900) and place it in the box.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Powershift posted:

Even if the 2 Mercedes dealerships in Edmonton aren't owned by the same group, they are almost certainly in cahoots.
Yeah, 'going elsewhere' means Volvo as that's the only other plug-in SUV on the market in the size I'm looking at. And for some reason the XC60 is like 8K more expensive than the GLC350e.

At the end of the day I'm getting the car for the price I negotiated, so I can't particularly be arsed to blow up the deal. I can, however, take the car to the other M-B dealership for warranty work, because they haven't pissed me off yet and I don't have to cross the river to get there.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

Still worth going to a different dealership, to make the point. The two in Edmonton are each other's greatest rival, and a noisy "I'm switching to you because you are maybe, probably less of a scumbag than those other guys" customer is going to be a big deal at the second dealership.

\/\/\/ Good idea!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 3, 2018

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I’d contact Mercedes Canada if you want a big impact, the dealers probably won’t give a poo poo at the end of the day. Mercedes will be more concerned because it’s the representation of their brand.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

This snow can suck a fat one, JFC.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

This snow can suck a fat one, JFC.

gently caress

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I don't think we even got 5 months without snow on the ground :(

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

I don't think we even got 5 months without snow on the ground :(

Last snow was in, what, May? That's definitely when I swapped my tires.

I bet against the weather and lost and ended up changing back to winters in a BP's parking lot.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We only had 3 months without snow on the ground in GP. June through August. And then it snowed September 11th.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

My new hotness. Daily driver makes 2400ftlb torque from 16.1L

The aluminum bumper and wheels need a polish, and I might plastidip the chrome mirrors white.

Because of that moose bumper... I name him Hannibal.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A refinery is St John, New brunswick blew up, get ready for $1.60 gas.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

jonathan posted:

My new hotness. Daily driver makes 2400ftlb torque from 16.1L

The aluminum bumper and wheels need a polish, and I might plastidip the chrome mirrors white.

Because of that moose bumper... I name him Hannibal.

I've seen those with body color mirrors, flat black works better imo.

Be nice to your clutch, those trucks are a nightmare to drop a trans out of.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NumbersMatching320 posted:

I've seen those with body color mirrors, flat black works better imo.

Be nice to your clutch, those trucks are a nightmare to drop a trans out of.

Just had the trans out before I got it for an inspection and something else. It's the iShift though, so I pretty much just set cruise control and fall asleep.

There is another volvo with a black moosebar and all the chrome done in black, it looks cool but the black bumper is a little much.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So according to their FB page, those guys that were going to build a track outside Carstairs have all their approvals in order and plan to start building in April.

I'm low key stoked but I'll also believe it when I see it

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey powershift private message me your cell number again. I was going to text you as I'm going through your neck of the woods. Or if you still have mine fire me a text. The number ends in 991 if you're not sure if that's it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
He gave his number out in the forum and told people to txt him.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh, almost forgot. Powershift, is there a rock auto for trucks ? I want to replace my shocks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

Oh, almost forgot. Powershift, is there a rock auto for trucks ? I want to replace my shocks.

Fort Garry, they have pretty much everything.

https://www.fortgarryindustries.com/locations/

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Fort Garry, they have pretty much everything.

https://www.fortgarryindustries.com/locations/

Thanks. Ill check them out. Forgot about them cause they're kinda hidden.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Some big dealers association is trying to convince Kenney to let them re-capture AMVIC and ban RHD Japanese imports.

Yet another way that all dealers are scum.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Some big dealers association is trying to convince Kenney to let them re-capture AMVIC and ban RHD Japanese imports.

Yet another way that all dealers are scum.

Other way around, it's Kenney pitching them on the idea, and telling them they can donate to his totally-not-affiliated PAC to get around donation limits and buy ads.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, that must be a "small government" thing.

I wonder what other kind of corporate interests are pre-ordering us.

e: just checking the ritchie bros results. 2 year old f250s basically going for the new price again. When my mom bought her new truck, she had to sign a thing saying she wouldn't export it within 6 months or 12,000kms.Seems our used market is still being looted by the americans.
e2: someone tried cleaning up some cophoes and lost at least a grand on each one https://www.rbauction.com/2013-CHEVROLET--SPORT-UTILITY-VEHICLESUV?invId=10879538&id=ci&auction=EDMONTON-AB-2018226
e3: I guess they didn't do too bad, i didn't realize these things were getting that cheap, even non-white ones are under $5k these days. https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=ach-shop&vndsld=1&srchtype=&lci=&sr=1&str=11&ltnf=1&lcn=455509&lct=L&sf=ferm-clos

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 26, 2018

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

When my mom bought her new truck, she had to sign a thing saying she wouldn't export it within 6 months or 12,000kms.

How does that work in practice? Other than warranty claims, when does the dealership (or FoMoCo Canada) have any control over or access to the vehicle? If I buy a new truck and sign that thing, then turn around and sell it to somebody in Arizona a week later, would that dealership even know?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If a person buys one outright? No way they'd know and I couldn't even see it enforceable if it was.

Dealers like to pull shifty poo poo all the time. I had a Chev dealer present me with a piece of paper literally at the exact time of delivery, keys in his other hand, on dealer letterhead that said I would only have the truck serviced at that dealer.

The salesman said that if I didn't sign it, he gets a hit on his monthly report. I did sign it with an "X" saying I would bring it back for any warranty work, but outside of that I'll do whatever I want, likely myself.

I should get a new Silverado company truck next week. If the dealer down here tries to pull that on me, I'll crumple it up and throw it on the floor.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

How does that work in practice? Other than warranty claims, when does the dealership (or FoMoCo Canada) have any control over or access to the vehicle? If I buy a new truck and sign that thing, then turn around and sell it to somebody in Arizona a week later, would that dealership even know?

Ford did this in the early 2000s too when a whole bunch of F350s were flowing south, they just blacklist you from buying new vehicles for a year.

I understand why they do it. Sticker on the truck is $42k in the states, and you can get it for the equivalent of $30k USD here right now.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

Ford did this in the early 2000s too when a whole bunch of F350s were flowing south, they just blacklist you from buying new vehicles for a year.

But how would the dealership or the company even find out? When the VIN shows up at an American dealership with an American owner for service?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Brother in law runs a Ford dealership and they have some weird policies regarding used vehicles going down south also. Like people coming up trying to buy 30 used f350's at a time and being shady about it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

prices at today's auction seem pretty low.

06 mustang gt with 117k went for $6500
http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail?Link=27/10/2018%5E65dd986d60c3489baccceb9fc01b11b7

08 335i went for $3900
http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail?Link=27/10/2018%5E0c28d68fc64e4a24a733d48ebbdfe16d

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

YYC goons, looks like I'm down in your neck of the woods for more training November 27 through 30.

Sadly, in another rental.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

YYC goons, looks like I'm down in your neck of the woods for more training November 27 through 30.

Sadly, in another rental.

Will you buy us appetizers again?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Yes, hopefully I will be free this time!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Speaking of being in Calgary....

I am moving to Australia for a job starting in January. My parents are in Calgary and for various reasons it makes sense for us (My fiance and I) to drive to Calgary for Christmas. This means we will have Tarrandus, my 1997 Ford Ranger that some of you were instrumental in helping me buy back in May of 2015. I plan to sell Tarrandus in Calgary.

I'd like to get together with anybody who might be around in the week between Christmas and New Year's, and if there's any interest there will be a goon discount on the truck.

As a general question, what would you look for in an old beater truck? I will probably let you guys see the ad first in any case, and it would be helpful what kinds of things I can emphasize in the ad.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
-22 tonight according to my phone.

My work truck has dual webasto heaters. One for the cab and one for the engine. The engine one fires up and doesn't let the coolant dip below 0, and I turn on the cab one when I park at night. I come back at 5am and it's room temp inside and no snow to scrape off.

Apparently they burn about 4L of fuel per 24 hours runtime. A lot better than the 6L of fuel per hour to let the engine idle.

We will see how well it works at -22.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mister fancy with all his webastos in his luxury european truck. Back in my day, we slept in the truck down to -15 with the truck shut off. Some days we had to put a torch on the oil pan to get the truck running. you kids don't know how good you have it.

We got super lucky with a really nice fall so far. Even the current forecast has +1 by the middle of the month, which is good, because i haven't done gently caress all to prepare for winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Christ, we still have bugs alive down here. Although today and yesterday I think did the bulk of them in. God drat box elder beetles (black backs with red stripes) were terrible this year.

Just picked up the new Silverado this morning. Feels good being back in a full size pickup. Been driving either a Taco or a 4Runner since 2007.

Going to take me a bit to figure out the entertainment unit in it.