Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Did you miss the name change or?

I completely did :shobon:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

fridge corn posted:

I got the job

Since where all friends here help a friend out: *completely unreasonable request*

Wife and I are agonizingly close to becoming licensed dealers and wouldn't you know it more than one friend-of-a-friend as been joking-but-seriously going "Hey lets go to the auctions!"

:mad:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

KakerMix posted:

Wife and I are agonizingly close to becoming licensed dealers and wouldn't you know it more than one friend-of-a-friend as been joking-but-seriously going "Hey lets go to the auctions!"

Guns, weed, cars or cards?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Suburban Dad posted:

Maybe you should call the cops on her and doxx another goon, :lol: and you should have instead changed your name to "AI Dad." We could be bros!

But seriously, I just hope they're ok.

E: Queen Combat's last post was like half an hour ago according to profile. Did you miss the name change or?

I missed the name change. And you're hilariously unfunny. I've never hit you for anything, and you seem to have a hard on for taking shots at me. I think you need to change your name to Viggen2.

Queen Combat posted:

Just busy with school.

Rock on. :hf:

On another topic -- The car Youtube guys have gotten so much worse with their "sponsored by" soliloquies that they are almost unwatchable. I'm looking at you, Tavarish. I liked his early stuff, but now he's got a taste of sweet ad revenue and it's terrible. At least AvE has stayed consistent.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 4, 2018

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

spog posted:

Weed auctions?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

spog posted:

I deal in weed and weed accessories

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDb6eNUPScU

new GUNSHIP for you synthwave nerds out there

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Speaking of, what did Enourmo change his name to?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

That story is barely plausible. Okay so using BMC / IPMI is a known security issue but there's just a bunch there where you just have to ask "How the gently caress is that meant to work? How was not caught almost straight away?" Basic Supermicro QA would have caught that for instance.

But for how totally implausible that all sounds, in this case it's easily proved. If Bloomberg did its job, it should have some expert(s) on call that can tell you what motherboard, what chip / where on the board, what pinout, what it does, and how they arrived at those findings. That's the core of their story after all.

If Bloomberg does, just publish those technical details & call it a day, it can be verified and we can document what would have to be one of the best attacks. If Bloomberg doesn't, then it's bullshit.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's a different account with the same avatar, so that may be why you missed it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

The Door Frame posted:

Speaking of, what did Enourmo change his name to?

Fucknag Fender Anarchist

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

meatpimp posted:

I missed the name change. And you're hilariously unfunny. I've never hit you for anything, and you seem to have a hard on for taking shots at me. I think you need to change your name to Viggen2.

Lighten up tiger, and take a joke on this here comedy forum. For being a longtime rear end in a top hat of AI (though admittedly I'd say you've toned it down in recent years) you sure are salty about my whole 2 "shots" at you.

I've got nothing against you, bub. I like your bimmer and detailing stuff as I've said before. Just poking fun.

E: :lol: at your Viggen comparison. A bit harsh, maybe.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 4, 2018

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The "Big Hack" thing is a big frontpage thoroughly-sourced story, and the big reputable US newspapers are generally pretty solid on stories of this magnitude. They're taking on the biggest companies in the history of capitalism and China with this story, so it would be extremely foolish to print a completely bullshit made-up story. Not to mention completely destructive to any kind of credibility for decades, probably dooming the paper.

That said, I'm not 100% convinced about it, and I'm sure they've got a number of details wrong or misinterpreted. But based on track record and the sources and evidence they claim to have, this is not nothing. I don't buy the denials from Amazon and Apple, they're deep in CYA damage control mode.

I'm certainly interested in seeing how this develops, and what the casualties are going to be. Either Bloomberg is committing suicide, or Supermicro is gonna get wrecked, along with A&A's security reputations.

E: Some very clever people at Hacker News are discussing it, this is the most plausible theory I've read on it. A tiny device hidden on the serial interface used to flash the onboard management interface new firmware, which would inject its code and (in theory) give it full control over the entire machine, including networking: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18138638

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 4, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Dagen H posted:

Fucknag Fender Anarchist

god i forgot that was my original name, what a poo poo

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Suburban Dad posted:

Lighten up tiger, and take a joke on this here comedy forum. For being a longtime rear end in a top hat of AI (though admittedly I'd say you've toned it down in recent years) you sure are salty about my whole 2 "shots" at you.

I've got nothing against you, bub. I like your bimmer and detailing stuff as I've said before. Just poking fun.

Yeah, hilariously falling back on the comedy forum bit. I've never doxxed a loving person and even trying to say I did is a loving dick move. Yeah, I called the cops on Dave when he went on a suicidal spiral, deleting his social media accounts and posting a banme here saying he was taking the easy way out. Hilarious. Why don't you just bring that up 3 years after the fact.

There's some dickball here that is really loving with people's life, and for you to take shots at me blaming me for similar things is being an rear end in a top hat. At least when I'm an rear end in a top hat I own it. Your turn.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Yeah, hilariously falling back on the comedy forum bit. I've never doxxed a loving person and even trying to say I did is a loving dick move. Yeah, I called the cops on Dave when he went on a suicidal spiral, deleting his social media accounts and posting a banme here saying he was taking the easy way out. Hilarious. Why don't you just bring that up 3 years after the fact.

There's some dickball here that is really loving with people's life, and for you to take shots at me blaming me for similar things is being an rear end in a top hat. At least when I'm an rear end in a top hat I own it. Your turn.

Nice meltdown

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

The "Big Hack" thing is a big frontpage thoroughly-sourced story, and the big reputable US newspapers are generally pretty solid on stories of this magnitude. They're taking on the biggest companies in the history of capitalism and China with this story, so it would be extremely foolish to print a completely bullshit made-up story. Not to mention completely destructive to any kind of credibility for decades, probably dooming the paper.

That said, I'm not 100% convinced about it, and I'm sure they've got a number of details wrong or misinterpreted. But based on track record and the sources and evidence they claim to have, this is not nothing. I don't buy the denials from Amazon and Apple, they're deep in CYA damage control mode.

I'm certainly interested in seeing how this develops, and what the casualties are going to be. Either Bloomberg is committing suicide, or Supermicro is gonna get wrecked, along with A&A's security reputations.

All Bloomberg has to do is publish the motherboard part numbers and independent people will be all over this in a blink. Given there's plenty of knowledgeable hardware people looking at the story and asking "How the gently caress is that possible?" they'll have those motherboard torn down and checked just to understand how and we'll get our verification quick.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Just got my Accord back from the mechanic. Previous mechanic didn't replace the rear caliper like he said and just unlocked it so it wouldn't rub. By doing this he also rendered the emergency brake useless. So yeah I have all new rotors, a new calipre (that actually works), and new pads! The ebrake works now too!

Also I'm getting the airbag computer replaced by the dealership because the part is under Honda lifetime warranty! It was the seatbelt sensor thing for the drivers side airbag.

So yeah all in all a good day. My mechanic also noticed that one of the headlights was out and instead of just replacing the bulb he soldered the wiring and put some silicon on the headlamp housing so it wouldn't leak. He didn't charge me for it or mention it I could just tell when I got it back.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

All Bloomberg has to do is publish the motherboard part numbers and independent people will be all over this in a blink. Given there's plenty of knowledgeable hardware people looking at the story and asking "How the gently caress is that possible?" they'll have those motherboard torn down and checked just to understand how and we'll get our verification quick.

Yeah, I'm hoping for that too. Let's use Weaponized Autism for good.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Suburban Dad posted:

Nice meltdown

You're a lovely troll.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lol cant we just save all the vitriol for the actual bad people in the world, like anyone who thinks we should have a rapist supreme court justice

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BraveUlysses posted:

lol cant we just save all the vitriol for the actual bad people in the world, like anyone who thinks we should have a rapist supreme court justice

That's an entirely different kettle of fish. Even if you take the three women accusers out of the mix and say you believe Kavenaugh, he still lied about his drinking and showed ridiculously poor self control and significant bias. Over all, that lack of temperament and showing of bias should be disqualifying.

Hell, I'd rather have larrymer on the bench. :D

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

That's an entirely different kettle of fish. Even if you take the three women accusers out of the mix and say you believe Kavenaugh, he still lied about his drinking and showed ridiculously poor self control and significant bias. Over all, that lack of temperament and showing of bias should be disqualifying.

Vote for me and i promise a chicken in every pot, and a ban for every Goon.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Vote for me and I promise a big cock for everyone and a Goon band.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

meatpimp posted:

yeah but there's no proof and no evidence has been provided we can't just convict him based on one person's testi-

*holds finger to ear*

I'm now being told this is all just a glorified job interview, lol gently caress this guy

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Fender Anarchist posted:

yeah but there's no proof and no evidence has been provided we can't just convict him based on one person's testi-

*holds finger to ear*

I'm now being told this is all just a glorified job interview, lol gently caress this guy

If I showed up to a job interview drunk and started crying, I don't think it would go over well. I get the midterm election is a big motivator for his immediate appointment, but you could probably pick an equally suitable person out of a hat. Why do some people think this is a hill worth dying on?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Anyone else see that John Mcafee is running for president again? He posted a video on twitter about how he loves bath salts and how he's gonna run again...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Door Frame posted:

If I showed up to a job interview drunk and started crying, I don't think it would go over well. I get the midterm election is a big motivator for his immediate appointment, but you could probably pick an equally suitable person out of a hat. Why do some people think this is a hill worth dying on?

because they're all rapists and it would set, for them, a terrifying precedent of not getting what they want THE GOD-EMPEROR'S CHOSEN ONE SHALL BE CREATED TO THE FATE ORDAINED FOR HIM

spog
Aug 7, 2004

64bit_Dophins posted:

Anyone else see that John Mcafee is running for president again? He posted a video on twitter about how he loves bath salts and how he's gonna run again...

What's truly insane about the world is that he would be a better president than the current incumbent.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

meatpimp posted:

You're a lovely troll.

I'll formulate a proper reply when I have time later. You just wait on the edge of your seat until then!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

If only Lord Buckethead was a US citizen

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

If only Lord Buckethead was a US citizen

The USA doesnt deserve Lord Buckethead

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Suburban Dad posted:

I'll formulate a proper reply when I have time later. You just wait on the edge of your seat until then!

Please don't. I understand history and whatnot, but from reading the past couple of pages a few times you're unreasonably provoking meatpimp out of nowhere. I'm asking you to stop.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The USA doesnt deserve Lord Buckethead

But he's the hero we need

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

fridge corn posted:

I got the job

Congrats my dude! What are the details?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Aww shucks

:haw:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Adiabatic posted:

Congrats my dude! What are the details?

You can't meatpimp post at meatpimp?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Gingerbread House Music posted:

What does that mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Eh, it's whatever. The internet is too serious.

Adiabatic posted:

What does that mean?

He can dish it out (historically) but not take it.

• Locked thread