Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Shadow Tactics is a really really good stealth puzzle game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you’re going to get Soldier of Fortune just make sure you don’t get Payback because even compared to the previous games it’s bad.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kennel posted:

Shadow Tactics is a really really good stealth puzzle game.

It's a great Commandos game and I'm glad the devs are making the next Desperados.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Kennel posted:

Pretty weird that nobody (that I can think of) has really tried to use "realistic" damage model as a selling point since the SoF.

I think having "realistic" gibs was more impressive back then, both graphically and technically. SoF came out a little over a year after Half-Life, after all.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kennel posted:

Pretty weird that nobody (that I can think of) has really tried to use "realistic" damage model as a selling point since the SoF.
Most of the locational damage fun-times SoF hung its hat on has become commonplace (think blasting limbs and heads every which way in Fallout 3 etc.), and going further would generally take things from "over the top" to "just kinda uncomfortable".

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

wafflemoose posted:

Oh neat, I've been wanting to play Solider of Fortune without resorting to :filez:. Not sure why old Activision published games aren't digitally available other than them being assholes.

I'm surprised they got rereleased at all since it would've meant jumping legal hurdles with both John Mullins' estate and the actual Soldier of Fortune magazine.

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider
ya I didn't want to mess with pirating it so I had given up on ever seeing SoF again. I guess that's just another testament to GOG's team of IP law wizards. i'm super stoked. it even actually runs better than it did back in the day too. it's so fast

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
But do they have the robot version of SOF 2?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Shadow Warriors 2 - 54%
Firewatch - 29%
Superhot - 17%

You've got 48 hours to grab it.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Probably the worst one, but I'll take it since I already have the other two on Steam.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kennel posted:

Shadow Warriors 2 - 54%
Firewatch - 29%
Superhot - 17%

Why didn't people vote for the two decent games

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
drat, I wanted Superhot, Shadow Warrior 2 is probably good though, heard good things about the first one. :)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kennel posted:

Shadow Warriors 2 - 54%
Firewatch - 29%
Superhot - 17%

That is not a breakdown I would've predicted.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Rinkles posted:

That is not a breakdown I would've predicted.

I voted for SW2 and thought that it would win, but not in a landslide like that.

bowmore posted:

Why didn't people vote for the two decent games

Because they wanted a fun, action-packed romp rather than pretentious arty indy bullshit?

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider
thank u all

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Last I checked anyone worth their salt already owns Superhot and Firewatch so obviously they'll vote for the silly FPS with dick jokes.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Shadow Warrior 2 was also the most expensive out of the 3.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Aw man, I already have Shadow Warrior 2. Oh well. :shrug:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Hell yes, I was interested in SW2 because I wanted more Wang but I didn't want to shell anything for it because it's a shooter arpg and won't be as good as the first one.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Firewatch is pointless, just watch a YouTube stream

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ElGroucho posted:

Was waiting for one of those :haw:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

What are your thoughts on ethics in video game journalism?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I already had Shadow Warrior 2 on Steam, but I grabbed it. I also voted for it, so I don't know what I was expecting. I actually like it a bit more than SW2013, but I got burned out on it before getting very far, though I can't remember if it was because of the weapon system or something else. Coolest thing about it was that it has a photo system built in, which I wish more games had.

I would have liked to get Firewatch as a freebie, because out of the three games, it's the only one I don't already have, and I've never really felt like buying it. Then again, based on what I've heard and read about the narrative, I still think I'd be unhappy with it.

Super Hot is fun, but it's really short, and it's also padded out with this, "YOU MUST STOP PLAYING THE GAME" narrative that bogs it down.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cool, free game! I'm happy. For some reason I thought I was voting for Shadow Warrior 2013, but this looks fun, and if it isn't, hell: free game. Is the co-op any drat good?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Are we pretending like Firewatch was a game now

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I mean it is.. unless a game has to have combat and experience points to be a game. it has objectives and gameplay mechanics, it's not just an art installation

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

I mean it is.. unless a game has to have combat and experience points to be a game. it has objectives and gameplay mechanics, it's not just an art installation

What about puzzles? There a lot of games that don't have combat or stats, but give the player puzzles or obstacles to overcome.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's been a while since I played it, but I don't THINK there are puzzles, there are areas where you'll need a tool like an axe, and shortcuts you can create in the world with a rope & rappel

I don't think a game like this even needs puzzles unless it's to provide variety to the experience, because there are a lot of bad horror and story games out there that throw in bad puzzles because they think it's necessary to do that

I think about games like Deadly Premonition and how SWERY didn't want there to be combat in the game, and man... if that game didn't have combat in it, it would've been so much better. Or Murdered: Soul Suspect where they put in these "stealth" segments that are annoying and awful and the game would've been a fun little mystery exploration game without them. Or heck even Elder Scrolls games, where the combat is universally terrible compared to every other system in the game.

I've played some pretty terrible VR horror games with puzzles that feel like they fell off the back of a Sierra On-Line truck, and the expiration date says 1993

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

It's been a while since I played it, but I don't THINK there are puzzles, there are areas where you'll need a tool like an axe, and shortcuts you can create in the world with a rope & rappel

I don't think a game like this even needs puzzles unless it's to provide variety to the experience, because there are a lot of bad horror and story games out there that throw in bad puzzles because they think it's necessary to do that

I think about games like Deadly Premonition and how SWERY didn't want there to be combat in the game, and man... if that game didn't have combat in it, it would've been so much better. Or Murdered: Soul Suspect where they put in these "stealth" segments that are annoying and awful and the game would've been a fun little mystery exploration game without them. Or heck even Elder Scrolls games, where the combat is universally terrible compared to every other system in the game.

I've played some pretty terrible VR horror games with puzzles that feel like they fell off the back of a Sierra On-Line truck, and the expiration date says 1993

I don't really disagree with that notion; I just think that for some people, a game without any kind of challenge or push-back isn't that appealing. If your game banks largely on narrative, then I think it's dependent on whether or not someone's interested in said narrative.

Games like Firewatch seem more akin to visual novels, which don't fit the typical definition of games either. I've heard Planescape Torment (which I still need to play) referred to as being like a visual novel, since the story's really good, but the combat is below-par, at least compared to the other Infinity Engine games.

When I say puzzle, I don't mean some complex Myst-esque contraption or Resident Evil medallion fetch-quest, but just something simple or grounded to give the player something to work through.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

You know how at Disneyland, when you're standing in line for a ride, to distract from the horrible reality of waiting in a line, you're gradually immersed in the world and lore surrounding the ride? There are recorded announcements, bits and bobs from the ride-world scattered here and there, blind corners to break up the staggering length of the line, flickering lights, talking robots, little puffs of water to fake steam or add moisture to the air, stuff like that. As a line-waiting experience, it's far better than simply staring at a maze of chains for an hour while people shuffle through it.

Firewatch is like a really well-crafted wait in a line for a game. The watchtower feels like a place I wouldn't mind spending a month or so to get my head straight. The map is a great little contained experience, and it looks good, like a place where nothing needs to happen but to be explored a single time, maybe a second time with different lighting and some environmental effects. Mostly I remember looking around, appreciating things, and shuffling forward. But the story, if it's the "ride," was not my cup of tea.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
oh gods, when did GOG Steamify its site? The Kafkaesque store layout is the second worst thing about Steam :sigh:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Eric the Mauve posted:

oh gods, when did GOG Steamify its site? The Kafkaesque store layout is the second worst thing about Steam :sigh:

They always do this during big promotions (it's their 10th anniversary), but it looks like the sale minicarousel is actually gone this time.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
They redesigned all the product pages too, seemingly just to make it harder to tell if you already own something or not.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, every web site in existence feels like they need to completely change their interface once in a while to cram in more ajax stuff in it.

It seems they've replaced "owned" by "in library", too, which I don't like.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

It seems they've replaced "owned" by "in library", too, which I don't like.

At least it's accurate to the fact that you don't own any of the games that you purchase these days, though.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Maybe it's to accommodate weird games as service stuff like Gwent. you can't own a gwent, but you can put it in your library.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Eric the Mauve posted:

Few years ago now. Possibly before Galaxy exited beta.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
I still keep hoping they bring back the old shelf view for your games. I never did understand how they thought the new grid/list was an improvement. So much ugly, wasted space. :(

Sackmo fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 5, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Lemon-Lime posted:

At least it's accurate to the fact that you don't own any of the games that you purchase these days, though.

GOG’s entire shtick is that you own games you buy from them. Which makes their changing Owned to In Library (which is the term Steam uses) wonderful fuel for :tinfoil:

e: dunno, GOG’s niche in the market is basically “Not Steam” so I have Questions about the wisdom of molding themselves to be as much like Steam as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

GOG’s entire shtick is that you own games you buy from them. Which makes their changing Owned to In Library (which is the term Steam uses) wonderful fuel for :tinfoil:

It's not, their shtick is "no DRM." You're still purchasing a licence to use software, and not buying a game.