Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

JoJolion just feels really weird and disjointed and I've actually had problems retaining where the plot is or what's going on when new chapters come out. I've had to reread the whole thing a few times just to remember what the gently caress was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I honestly haven't been following Jojolion for like two years.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Jojolion's one of my favorite parts but I def feel that it would read better all at once

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

TheLoneStar posted:

JoJolion just feels really weird and disjointed and I've actually had problems retaining where the plot is or what's going on when new chapters come out. I've had to reread the whole thing a few times just to remember what the gently caress was going on.

Yeah, I haven't bothered with a reread, and I'm honestly struggling to track the plot. I'm withholding real judgment until I can read the whole thing, as is I'm just enjoying random chunks of jojo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just want Jobin to get his poo poo kicked in already for the poo poo he's been pulling in the name of having a higher social status

And whatever him and his mom have planned out

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I just think Soft and Wet looks cool and Yasuho has a good design, any other Part 8 feelings are as clear as mud

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
JoJolion peaked at Beetlemania

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Aside from Beetle Tendency and Tamaki Damo I can't remember any of the fights from Jojolion.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The football brothers fight was pretty neat even if they were fodder villains as characters

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's okay, i can remember all the fights even if you can't

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There was Shakedown Street, where one of the antagonistic forces was a pair of boobs

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
How can you forget Milagro Man?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I will never forget the Johnny Depp Pirate Movie

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Soft and Wet punching through I Am a Rock's punch rush with a single punch and Tsurugi tricking a guy to get hit by a bus were badass.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I liked when josuke won a fight against a vastly superior enemy by stealing the sound of a refrigerator door

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I enjoy Jojolion when I read it and I’d still rate it above most other manga, but I’ve also been fairly disappointed in it. Namely, its lack of consistency. The rapey parts with Yasuho certainly don’t help either. There’s been some pretty great parts and the characters and overall premise are interesting so I don’t think I’d rank it as the worst Jojo part, but it’s a big disappointment so far after SBR.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 30, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Blue Hawaii was a cool "fight". And Born This Way.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

part nine should just be in the other timeline set in morioh but like six months after the events of part four, and just be a straight slice of life side series with no actual serious strife. less serial killer hunting, more josuke trying to scam rohan.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

STONE COLD 64 posted:

part nine should just be in the other timeline set in morioh but like six months after the events of part four, and just be a straight slice of life side series with no actual serious strife. less serial killer hunting, more josuke trying to scam rohan.
Rohan being an insane rear end in a top hat to Josuke will never get old. Also, that moment when they're all sharing a laugh and junk AND THEN ROHAN GORES HIMSELF WITH A PEN, with the mood going from :mmmhmm: to :catstare: in like 2 seconds.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Jojolion often does tend to read better if you let chapters stack up here and there but aside from this last chapter annoying me a lot it has generally been steady lately. I think the zombie fight went on a little longer than it needed to but eh

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Remember that time Yasuho got waterboarded?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JoJolion might be the most peak and troughy part since Araki really hit his stride.

It's got some great peaks like your boy Damo Tamaki, but then you get awful It Follows fights and graphic descriptions of a rock man prising open a woman's vagina and that's like yeah let's not bother with that because it's either offensively boring in the former or beyond revolting in the second. Even if that's the route you want the story to take, leave it vague and let people leave it to their imaginations.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Blue Hawaii was p good actually

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
man what is your deal with it follows

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

blue hawaii was bad because the premise is bad and it follows is the best way to describe the general premise
it follows it's bad because it's awful in every way, it's got nowt going for it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Pootybutt posted:

Remember that time Yasuho got waterboarded?

Remember how that guy was able to just pull cling wrap out of his eyes?

Remember when that guy said that he was the one who killed Josuke?

Remember when a loving rock dog just walked into the room after but it was a dog in the same way that the giant hairy rat urban legend is a dog?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

FirstAidKite posted:

Remember how that guy was able to just pull cling wrap out of his eyes?

remember how this was an ability he never used again and not at all what his stand did

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Usually when that kinda poo poo happens I can kinda rationalize it away but the cling wrap from the eyes bit is still like "wait what"

Like, I guess maybe he could've used his ability on himself to stuff himself full of cling wrap if he ever needed it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Like, I guess maybe he could've used his ability on himself to stuff himself full of cling wrap if he ever needed it

Hell I do it and I don't even have a stand.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Nah, Blue Hawaii was p sweet. I dig almost all the stand fights that get the wider populace of Morioh involved. While still a p well-realized setting, I don't think Morioh feels like a character in and of itself anywhere near as much as it did in p4, and I don't even necessarily feel like that's a flaw, given the tighter focus and stranger-in-a-strange-land framing, but I miss that element of the town enough that it's always nice to see the action extend beyond Gappy, Yasuho and their bizarre found family.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Blue Hawaii is great, and It Follows was an ok enough movie. Its not like there's not a parallel to a similar enough Stand in part 4 too.

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
Most of the fights have been solid and the damo fight was one of the best in the series. Thats not enough for me to really get into a part however. e.g. im not a huge fan of part 5 even though it also has a lot of great fights because it felt like the whole was less than the sum of its parts. It felt like it didnt really have an overarching narrative, and both the final boss and the way the final boss was beaten just seemed to come out of nowhere

However, in contrast to part 5, it feels like theres a lot of interesting themes building up in jojolion (equivalent exchange, motherhood, etc.) The reason im not super into it at the moment is that we're spending a lot of time dealing with the rock human conspiracy, which as of yet doesn't have a strong connection to those themes. But i have a feeling that theyre going to pay off in the end and this arc will, at the very least, have a strong conclusion

thats the main issue i have. Yasuho getting repeatedly sexually assaulted was just sort of weird and confusing until this chapter which made me really uncomfortable. Not a good horror movie kind of uncomfortable more like the feeling youd get if you were on your friends computer and you idly opened a random folder and discovered that it was a massive collection of commissioned art of jon arbuckle being slowly digested by a giant garfield. If araki dials it back to the previous level of gross after this ill be able to mostly look past it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The surprise twist is that somehow angelo is the father of all of the rock humans due to what josuke did in the previous timeline and they want the special rokakaka so that angelo can become more human again and move around and exact vengeance

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I just want us to know the whole group of Rock Humans, or at least how many there are. Araki has pulled the "Well actually there's another Rock Human loving about!" thing too many times. It feels like almost no progress is being made in terms of defeating villains because some previously unmentioned guy just replaces whoever gets defeated.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
just like part 3 and 4

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Stardust Crusaders at least had one single end-goal that was present right from the start: defeat DIO to save Holly and until they reached Egypt there was an idea of how many Stand users to fight. The main goal of JoJolion has kind of bounced around a bit.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah, your critque is totally valid and I do agree, we have so little sense of what our enemy is doing, who they are, and how many there are, but also part 3 and 4 have such clearly visible points of araki genning up some new bad guys that there just being way more rock humans than we thought isn't the weirdest thing to me

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that part of it all is fine by me with jojolion, the main idea is that a big conspiracy is getting uncovered and so a bunch of these people who had previously been hiding in plain sight are getting uncovered and have to act on defending their collective secret, so it's not weird to me that a bunch of rock people are popping up and getting involved

keep in mind that, gross poo poo aside, the current scuffle is directly related to uncovering whatever weird poo poo is happening at the hospital which has been revealed to be a place where they're basically operating from

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

TheLoneStar posted:

I just want us to know the whole group of Rock Humans, or at least how many there are. Araki has pulled the "Well actually there's another Rock Human loving about!" thing too many times. It feels like almost no progress is being made in terms of defeating villains because some previously unmentioned guy just replaces whoever gets defeated.

Think of it more like how in part 5 they went from fighting some people that wanted to get to Bruno's stash before Bruno could, then they went to fighting La Squadra, then they were fighting Diavolo's personal guards. At first it was just Josuke dealing with random stands while trying to figure out who he is and what's going on, then it turned out there was basically a fruit import mafia that he has since taken out (Aphex Twins are such jobbers lmao), and only after the ski lift fight did we discover that there is a second group of more important baddies that were separate from the fruit mafia and were operating out of the hospital and are apparently doing some poo poo involving the rokakaka, which ties back to Holly and her weird brain issues and trying to eat her fingers.

Things are starting to tie up, it's just that they're not all of the things that we want and it still has some decently big contradictions or loose plot threads that I feel aren't going to be resolved any time soon, if ever, and who knows how Kaato and Jobin will end up fitting into the hospital's plans since Jobin was apparently working with both the fruit mafia and in touch with the hospital members so whouuuu knouuuuuuws anymouuuure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
The part 4 comparison is a good point actually. The reason part 4 ends up being really good is because of the story of the town of morioh uniting to destroy something evil hiding inside it. Even though pretty much all the fights are against random weirdos with no connection to each other or to kira, they end up tying into that theme, since a) they help show that morioh is a crazy noisy bizarre town with lots of strange characters in it, and b) a lot of them join the cast and become part of the fight against kira. If the rest of Jojolion ends up giving retrospective purpose to the rock human fights it could end up being a top tier jojo part