Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Oh wow I didn't realize no one had posted in months.

Guess there's no need for a new thread at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

A friend asked me what's the best cheap wear OS smartwatch right now and I didn't know what to tell him, what are the goon favourites these days?

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

A friend asked me what's the best cheap wear OS smartwatch right now and I didn't know what to tell him, what are the goon favourites these days?

Used or new Wear24 on ebay, 40 bux.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Ticwatch E is probably the best one available new that's cheap. For the most part all Wear OS watches are the same SoC so any that you find is as good as any other all things being equal. A couple here and there have LTE or GPS or NFC but apart from those features they're all pretty much the same outside of appearance.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I tried a Samsung galaxy watch for about an hour and yep Tizen still sucks.

Why couldn't the 3100 be good. :(

Also in case anyone cares I ended up selling my LG Watch Urbane 2 LTE to my friend since it's way nicer than the ticwatch.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone have or seen one of the Casio Android Wear ABC watches?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ticwatch e looks like complete poo poo and is also giant so everyone can see how bad it looks :downs:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This is interesting... physical hands on top of Wear OS. Too bad they didn't, you know, design around it or something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWZ98l2EiOo

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's interesting, I like it, but holy gently caress no for $450.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

This is interesting... physical hands on top of Wear OS. Too bad they didn't, you know, design around it or something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWZ98l2EiOo

Seems practical:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Much more interested in the Huawei Watch GT

https://www.techradar.com/news/huawei-watch-gt-specs-leak-is-everything-we-expected-from-the-watch-3

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hrm, what should we do to try to address the horrible products we're forced to put out due to using technology from 2012? Should we use technology from 2018? Wait, how about we use technology from 1982 instead! Surely this is the answer we've been looking for!

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
You're not funny and I really wish you'd stop posting anywhere relating to mobile operating systems or their derivatives.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 4, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MC Hawking posted:

You're not funny and I really wish you'd stop posting anywhere relating to mobile operating systems or their derivatives.

Am I upsetting the technofetishists?

It's a stupid idea which is being pursued only because the underlying problem isn't being addressed. You could blame Qualcomm except Huawei actually makes SoCs themselves (though apparently they too understand that sinking money into developing something for this niche is dumb).

The LG, of course, lacks any kind of rational explanation. There's no excuse for it and like other dumb things will be rightly ridiculed. If it ever makes it to market it won't generate enough revenue to cover the tooling costs involved in making it.

Wishing I'd stop pointing out that gravity exists isn't the reason this poo poo doesn't fly.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LastInLine posted:

The LG, of course, lacks any kind of rational explanation. There's no excuse for it and like other dumb things will be rightly ridiculed. If it ever makes it to market it won't generate enough revenue to cover the tooling costs involved in making it.

It's an objet d'art, LastInLine, it's not meant as a practical gadget. Now obviously that clashes a bit with LG as a brand, but those Korean mega-conglomerates are huge and sometimes weird things come out of them as they throw everything they have at the wall to see what sticks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

It's an objet d'art, LastInLine, it's not meant as a practical gadget.

That's... actually true.

I'm not even joking, you actually turned me 180 on them both. I mean, they're terrible at what they're supposed to do but in the absence of the ability to actually do it better because of the nature of the market forces, why not do it badly while simultaneously commenting on how bad you're doing it. After all, watches are at their core a statement about style, aesthetics, and value projection and these both subvert expectations.

I mean you're also right about LG (and Huawei) not meaning to do this, but art doesn't have to be intentional.

I'll admit it, I was wrong. That Huawei actually is interesting! (What I like most about it in this context is that it's still round, despite incorporating a rectangular old school LED, further forgoing function for a round form that is itself a compromise toward a function it neither has nor pretends to have. It's brilliant!)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Wait, I have a Huawei Watch 2 and the only difference I see there is sleep tracking (which you won't do because this watch is sort of bulky and awkward to have on your wrist while sleeping, at least for me) and 2 weeks of autonomy with the same battery (haha lol yeah. Even if true, are we really complaining about having to recharge something every 2-3 days when we have to charge up our phone almost every night? What would having 2 weeks of autonomy do besides being just slightly more convenient?)

And the title says that is everything we expected from the next Huawei Watch ... is that what passes for a generational leap in smartwatches? I'll be able to go on with mine until we have flying car and/or teleportation then, after 1 year it still lasts 3 full days if I turn it off at night, displays notifications and time, and lets me read / write quick messages. Good to know.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I'll admit it, I was wrong. That Huawei actually is interesting! (What I like most about it in this context is that it's still round, despite incorporating a rectangular old school LED, further forgoing function for a round form that is itself a compromise toward a function it neither has nor pretends to have. It's brilliant!)

The image in the article isn't the Huawei Watch GT, it's the Huawei Watch 2

There are rumored to be two versions of the Huawei Watch GT, a "Fashion" style and an all-black "Sport" style. This is the rumor/leak for the former:

No leaks for the "Sport" style yet but of course it's possible that it will actually look a lot like the Huawei Watch 2

TorakFade posted:

Wait, I have a Huawei Watch 2 and the only difference I see there is sleep tracking (which you won't do because this watch is sort of bulky and awkward to have on your wrist while sleeping, at least for me) and 2 weeks of autonomy with the same battery (haha lol yeah. Even if true, are we really complaining about having to recharge something every 2-3 days when we have to charge up our phone almost every night? What would having 2 weeks of autonomy do besides being just slightly more convenient?)

And the title says that is everything we expected from the next Huawei Watch ... is that what passes for a generational leap in smartwatches? I'll be able to go on with mine until we have flying car and/or teleportation then, after 1 year it still lasts 3 full days if I turn it off at night, displays notifications and time, and lets me read / write quick messages. Good to know.

Yeah the main thing Qualcomm improved is battery life so the main difference we will see is battery life improvements. I think the idea of 2 weeks of autonomy is that it gives you the confidence to leave it on overnight for sleep tracking, whereas when it only lasts 2-3 days there's no point trying because you have to leave it on the charger every other night. Hopefully there are also improvements in step / heartrate tracking?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

5-6 days is the minimum for battery life I think, for me personally, so I'm hoping there will be something this next gen of Wear watches.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Got the wear os 2.0 update, it's an improvement but completely unexciting. The Reddit fervor over this kind of poo poo is embarassing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Did the wear24 get the new one update? They're cheap enough I've been tempted to pick one up in place of my LG Style because it has some more bells and whistles

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yep it did/does.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

It did. Got it on mine this morning.

It's an improvement, if unexciting. I've no intention of using the Google assistant on my wrist. Being able to act on notifications is nice though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I wish my 360/2 were getting Wear OS 2.0 :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I wish my 360/2 were getting Wear OS 2.0 :(

It's supposed to. The only ones that won't are the ones who didn't get the Android Wear 2.0. That said I don't have it yet either and I really want it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got it on my Misfit Vapor, fixes the stupid watchface changer that I'd trigger by accident at least once a day. Notifications look a bit nicer. Better use of colour in general. But yeah it's largely the same as before.

Battery life yesterday was awful but today it seems better.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Got it on my Misfit Vapor, fixes the stupid watchface changer that I'd trigger by accident at least once a day. Notifications look a bit nicer. Better use of colour in general. But yeah it's largely the same as before.

Battery life yesterday was awful but today it seems better.

That's what I've been thinking of replacing my 360/2 with. Is it worth it?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

That's what I've been thinking of replacing my 360/2 with. Is it worth it?
I came from an OG 360 which was absolutely worth it but I'm not sure for the v2. If I had to describe the device in one word it would be "fine". Performance is fine but not perfect and it still janks sometimes or lags a little when it first wakes up. Battery life is fine but realistically it's a day without disabling features. It certainly lacks features but they're all things I don't care about. NFC payments would sometimes be useful but WesrOS's implementation doesn't seem very good so meh. I don't need GPS or fitness tracking stuff. I just want the time on a watchface I can customise a bit, and notifications from my phone.

Basically it was under 200 which means it was disposable income for me so I got two for my girlfriend and me for Christmas as she's a) a terrible nerd and b) loves it when we having matching stuff.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

LastInLine posted:

It's supposed to. The only ones that won't are the ones who didn't get the Android Wear 2.0. That said I don't have it yet either and I really want it.

At one point the Wear app and the OS were intertwined, then Google separated them where the Wear app could be updated independently of the OS although it might not get all of the features, I don't think they have really made it completely clear since then on which updates watches that aren't getting OS updates get.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I came from an OG 360 which was absolutely worth it but I'm not sure for the v2. If I had to describe the device in one word it would be "fine". Performance is fine but not perfect and it still janks sometimes or lags a little when it first wakes up. Battery life is fine but realistically it's a day without disabling features. It certainly lacks features but they're all things I don't care about. NFC payments would sometimes be useful but WesrOS's implementation doesn't seem very good so meh. I don't need GPS or fitness tracking stuff. I just want the time on a watchface I can customise a bit, and notifications from my phone.

Basically it was under 200 which means it was disposable income for me so I got two for my girlfriend and me for Christmas as she's a) a terrible nerd and b) loves it when we having matching stuff.

Yeah I knew your use case matched mine which is why I asked. I just want notifications for the most part. How's the ring for scrolling? I could see it either being great or totally useless. Is the build quality and finish holding up? How's the charge cable? I know it's not the sweet standup dealie I have but I'll probably just keep my old one always on the charger for use as a desk clock.

Basically it's $220 here for the steel with steel band, it looks nice, and it'd have a new battery but it's literally the exact same chipset I have now so I expect to work identically.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Oh, cool. I thought that AW 2.x was the last thing the 360/2 was slated to get.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Oh, cool. I thought that AW 2.x was the last thing the 360/2 was slated to get.

They explicitly listed the watches that won't get it:

LG G Watch
Samsung Gear Live
Moto 360 (2014)
Sony Smartwatch 3
Asus ZenWatch (1st-gen)

Everything else should get it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

They explicitly listed the watches that won't get it:

LG G Watch
Samsung Gear Live
Moto 360 (2014)
Sony Smartwatch 3
Asus ZenWatch (1st-gen)

Everything else should get it.

Well, that's human memory for ya. Thanks for the good news!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Android Wear 2.x and Wear OS 2.x are two different things. Are you sure every device that got Android Wear 2.x will get the newest Wear OS?

Edit: welp no I googled it, nevermind

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/09/28/wear-os-2-1-now-rolling-features-long-awaited-redesign/

quote:

Google says any watch that received Android Wear 2.0 should get the new interface, which only leaves out a handful of first-generation models (LG G Watch, Samsung Gear Live, original Moto 360, etc.)

Rastor fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 5, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I got a misfit vapor to supplement my 360v2 when it was on sale for like $100. I like it, but I wish the black was anodized because it chips if you sneeze at it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Yeah I knew your use case matched mine which is why I asked. I just want notifications for the most part. How's the ring for scrolling? I could see it either being great or totally useless. Is the build quality and finish holding up? How's the charge cable? I know it's not the sweet standup dealie I have but I'll probably just keep my old one always on the charger for use as a desk clock.
I don't really use the ring. It does work okay but it's not perfect and I honestly just forget that it's even a thing. The charger is finicky, the plastic puck weighs nothing so the cable will drag it around and the connection with the watch is not very secure. If you stick the charger down (you can either bluetac it to a surface or it does contains enough metal to stick to a magnet) it's generally fine but a couple of times I've woken up to a dead watch and my girlfriend's is the same so this seems to just be a design issue with the charger. The 360 (both versions) had a much better thing going on with the charger design. Build quality seems fine to me, not scratches or marks on it, I don't bash it around but don't go out of my way to be extra careful either. I have the black/silver version. I've not seen the metal straps so don't know how they are.

Basically the whole thing is "fine but not great".

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
The Wearos update seems to have improved the battery life on my q explorist. I'm at 69% (nice) after 9 hours with ambient display on. With the previous version I'd be at around 50% by now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, noticed that on my vapor too, I think I ended the day at like 60% yesterday.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

I like the new update, the swipe actions make a lot more sense now and the play music app is much better. Battery life seems about the same for me, no complaints though, I always have enough to get through the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I like it overall but my most used feature is voice to text and now there's often an extra tap to get it to show the microphone option.