Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

I think the men in these tanks are naked.

And everyone get a look at the shine on Silver Sable's rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Push El Burrito posted:

And everyone get a look at the shine on Silver Sable's rear end!

Yeah, I'm sorry, but if she farts in that thing, does a bubble of displaced 'fabric' slide up her body until it gets to her cleavage, then escapes? If so, what would you call that? A Cleef?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

TheCenturion posted:

Yeah, I'm sorry, but if she farts in that thing, does a bubble of displaced 'fabric' slide up her body until it gets to her cleavage, then escapes? If so, what would you call that? A Cleef?

I think you call it an overactive imagination.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

TheCenturion posted:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I know that Spider man's strength can fluctuate, but he never seemed strong enough to lift a goddamn tank over his head.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nah, that sounds about right.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a future tank made out of plastic and magnesium alloys. It's also pretty small. Maybe more of an armoured recon vehicle?

Some of them might be within his ~10-20 ton limit.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Monaghan posted:

I know that Spider man's strength can fluctuate, but he never seemed strong enough to lift a goddamn tank over his head.

I might be totally wrong but isn't this around the time Spider-Man had Captain Universe's powers but didn't know it?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dillbag posted:

I might be totally wrong but isn't this around the time Spider-Man had Captain Universe's powers but didn't know it?

If he didn't know it then it seems weird he would try.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

If he didn't know it then it seems weird he would try.

I mean he knew he had crazy powers but didn't know why he had them or that it was the Uni-Power

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
This is before he got the Universe Powers. I'm actually reading that now. It's during Acts of Vengeance so all these villains keep showing up and he just tosses them around like they're nothing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think it's one of those "strong as he needs to be" things that varies by writer.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Monaghan posted:

One of his most iconic scenes is lifting a building off of himself.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Also, I don't think he's holding it so much as judoing it over his head.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I always crack up when I scroll down and see the Aquarian in that image.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I never read any comic with him, is Wonder Man really on Thor/Hulk/Herc class? I always thought he was some sort of Steve Rogers "Peak of Human Strength" deal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samuringa posted:

I never read any comic with him, is Wonder Man really on Thor/Hulk/Herc class? I always thought he was some sort of Steve Rogers "Peak of Human Strength" deal.

No, Wonder Man is like insanely strong. He's compared to at least Thor in his earliest appearances and has power bloated since then. He is genuinely one of the strongest guys in the world. At least once he's said to be as strong physically as the Sentry.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, in Wonder Man's first appearance, one comment they make is that his fists are as powerful as Thor's hammer and then in the safari jacket era his fight banter (when it wasn't internal monologue about his crippling self-doubt and paralysing fear of dying) was about how he could punch as hard as Thor could hit you with Mjolnir.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Huh, interesting. I only know about this thing where he wants to be/is an actor so I thought he was just some Booster Gold-level loser.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Huh, interesting. I only know about this thing where he wants to be/is an actor so I thought he was just some Booster Gold-level loser.

he is a booster gold level loser despite his incredible power. that's really wonder man in a nutshell.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Who's that between Daredevil and Wolverine? Also, who's that guy with the wings who's an invalid by day?

I guess I need to buy more Marvel comics, per the editor.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Saving this for October 18th

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Is Goliath much stronger than Giant-Man or other growing guys? I know at least Erik Josten in his various guises was supposed to be super tough because of ionic energy, but of course in the era that chart was made he wouldn't have turned up in a list of heroes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Beachcomber posted:

There's a later version where Spidey's on the heavyweights category and he's carrying the super heavy weights on a platform

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

For reference, OHOTMU Deluxe Edition and 2004 both list Spider-Man as 10 tons. OHOTMU Deluxe says 95 tons for Wonder Man "under optimal conditions."

Beachcomber posted:

Who's that between Daredevil and Wolverine? Also, who's that guy with the wings who's an invalid by day?

I guess I need to buy more Marvel comics, per the editor.

I believe that's The Shroud as to the first and it's Nighthawk as to the second.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I miss the superhero stat cards that were in one of the card sets of the early 90's.

The example of a 1 for every category was like Aunt May.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The only thing that's really changed since that power rating is Spider-man has definitely gone down a notch because people like writing him as the underdog, and She-Hulk is definitely way stronger than those other assholes in her category. Everything else is just splitting hairs about who would be in the upper and lower end of their own categories.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Back when TSR Marvel Super Heroes came out, Spider-Man was ranked just below Thor and the Hulk in strength, IIRC. :colbert:

For current Spider-Man, I always look to this no effort, slamming multi-ton truck into bad guy as evidence of he's really loving strong.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Samuringa posted:

He's Booster Gold but if Booster Gold was somehow also Superman.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

Wonderman has the power of superman but is a total loser. Which seems like a great hook for a book, but no one has made it work.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I thought surfer was way stronger tbh

And i guess aaron retconned she-hulk to be even stronger than banner hulk so that needs adjusting now

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
For some reason the guy saying he's the embodiment of the fighting spirit of Britain (i guess Captain Britain?) standing right below the banner that says "Mediumweights" is intensely funny to me.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dr.Magnificent posted:

Wonderman has the power of superman but is a total loser. Which seems like a great hook for a book, but no one has made it work.

I kind of liked his solo series in the early 90's where he's a pathetic doofus, though they tried to retool it to be more 90's before too long.

Sadly, the writer was Gerard Jones and I wouldn't recommend a book by a pedophile.

TwoPair posted:

For some reason the guy saying he's the embodiment of the fighting spirit of Britain (i guess Captain Britain?) standing right below the banner that says "Mediumweights" is intensely funny to me.

Yeah, that's his pre-Alan Davis costume.

site posted:

I thought surfer was way stronger tbh

He is, but he didn't mix it up physically often so whoever was doing this write up just went with, "I guess he's kind of strong but using other powers more." But even at the time that annual was written, that's a pretty iffy placement. By the time the Surfer has his own series so he gets to demonstrate some strength from time to time, it's clear that he's physically strong enough to do lift pretty much anything.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 5, 2018

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

Back when TSR Marvel Super Heroes came out, Spider-Man was ranked just below Thor and the Hulk in strength, IIRC. :colbert:

I don’t know about the basic edition, but in Advanced he’s only got Incredible strength and Hulk and Thor have Unearthly, three levels higher. Below them is Monstrous (strength like Thing) and then Amazing (which Spidey is not, in this case).

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Beachcomber posted:

Drawn by, of all people, Mark Gruenwald.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Servoret posted:

I don’t know about the basic edition, but in Advanced he’s only got Incredible strength and Hulk and Thor have Unearthly, three levels higher. Below them is Monstrous (strength like Thing) and then Amazing (which Spidey is not, in this case).

My memory may be playing tricks since this was 35 years ago? I know I was in Jr. High when my friend got the box set for Christmas. I remember we played the included campaign and went right back to AD&D.

That reminds me, I still have a copy of Deities and Demigods with the Elric and Cthulhu Mythos in them knocking around in a box somewhere.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Proteus Jones posted:

For current Spider-Man, I always look to this no effort, slamming multi-ton truck into bad guy as evidence of he's really loving strong.

Yeah, in theory Spider-man should be on the high end of the super-mediumweights or the low end of the heavyweights, but he's very often written as weaker than his 60s baseline. I can hardly imagine Spider-man of today beating the entire X-men or handing the Avengers their rear end.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

the true power of spider-man is converting even his old nemesis into an ally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Servoret posted:

Yeah, but he's always sitting on a shitton of Karma, so he can get those clutch train-station lifts off. If memory serves, he was literally the example of how to build up and store Karma by being a good due.

The other weird little things I remember from the FASERIP was that Cap and the X-Men were the examples of the poles of the popularity stat, and that, as written, the most useful thing for Cap to do in most situations in the city was go "HEY CITIZENS! I, CAPTAIN AMERICA, NEED YOUR HELP!"