Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i got a couple people with frostbite despite things being pretty well heated during a stream yesterday and one of my co-commentators claimed it was because i didn't have a heat zone over my hunter's huts, which i had thought couldn't influence illness. people told me they didn't need to be heated because nobody actually used them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Kuiperdolin posted:

Why do I have starving people even though I have a 3-digit food stockpile?

Someone got caught between some buildings. Happened to me too once. I don't remember if tearing down structures helped. Sorry.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Kuiperdolin posted:

Why do I have starving people even though I have a 3-digit food stockpile?

People eat at the cookhouse, which I remembered when I demolished my last one with a few days to go in the Fall of Winterhome(potential new scenario spoilers). Do you have one of those built and connected? Otherwise I think that they will prioritize building and tearing down over eating, or you could have turned a starving person into a scout or outpost team member. In those last two cases, they don't worry about being hungry until the team is disbanded.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

genericnick posted:

Someone got caught between some buildings. Happened to me too once. I don't remember if tearing down structures helped. Sorry.

This is a thing?

I thought the game was entirely a numbers simulation and what you saw on the ground wasn't what was actually happening. Which is why automatons still produce while refueling.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

dogstile posted:

This is a thing?

I thought the game was entirely a numbers simulation and what you saw on the ground wasn't what was actually happening. Which is why automatons still produce while refueling.

Honestly, I don't know. I just searched for the starving dude and saw one lodged between two huts.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

dogstile posted:

This is a thing?

poo poo, that's what I thought too. Otherwise the strategy of switching everyone between gathering posts and hunting lodges at night wouldn't work?

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Arven posted:

poo poo, that's what I thought too. Otherwise the strategy of switching everyone between gathering posts and hunting lodges at night wouldn't work?

They added a mandatory rest time for hunters after they return to combat this somewhat a couple of patches back.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Man, if my Fall of Winterhome game was canon for the Winterhome you find in the main scenario, the scouts would have just been fuckin confused. You have to dismantle so many of your own buildings to get the resources for a full evacuation that all my scouts would have found was an empty snowfield and the only evidence that humans were ever here would be what appears to be the worst road layout ever designed.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Something else that was mentioned in that video was how to cheese Emergency Shift. Every time you use Emergency Shift there is a good chance one of your workers dies, but if remove all of the workers from the building at 22:00 and put them back in at 00:00 no one dies. Its worked for me so far.

Here is the video btw and this isn't me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DORxM-QsUr0

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Speaking of cheesing, turns out you can pause the game in Winterhome, dismantle a BUNCH of useless roads and get shitloads of wood immediately right off the bat.

e: shitload might be overstating it a bit, but still means starting building 5+ gathering posts before 8 am

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 27, 2018

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I didn't realize you get a refund on roads. I assumed you didn't because it doesn't require citizens to dismantle them.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Yeah, as it is, it's free wood.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Aaaand I've just replaced all the medical outposts manned by skilled experts, with praying houses operated by literal children.

e: they now do organ transplants

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 28, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nosfereefer posted:

Aaaand I've just replaced all the medical outposts manned by skilled experts, with praying houses operated by literal children.

little hands means smaller incisions

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Nosfereefer posted:

This is just such a hosed up and dystopian thing to imagine and precisely why games like this are so memorable and strangely wonderful

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
A typical Doctor in Winterhome, 1893 - colorized

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

dogstile posted:

This is a thing?

You can actually track the movements of individual people by clicking on their names in various places. You can even search for people by name, if you happen to know what that is.

I know this because I was going for a no-deaths run on A New Home and I ran into a snag where 1 person was walking from a care house to an infirmary but took a very, very long way around and died on the route. After googling around, this is apparently a problem with Care Houses in Hard Mode; people living there will become gravely ill, need to go to the hospital, will take too long to reach the hospital, and then they'll die on the way. So I could search out the specific person, watch the route they'd take, and see them die on some road surrounded by resource depots. The funny thing was that there was an Infirmary right next to her care house, and it had empty beds, but she decided to go across town anyway. Anyway, the fix for this problem is to demolish all of your care houses, then people will go get healthcare when they actually need it.

Anyway, yes, the game actually does simulate individual people, but some elements are abstracted; once someone is actually on the job then that becomes just a numbers game (e.g. the game is not simulating that person carrying loads of wood back to a gathering post or whatever), but transitioning between home / work / food / healthcare / etc. is simulated.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 1, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Acute Grill posted:

Man, if my Fall of Winterhome game was canon for the Winterhome you find in the main scenario, the scouts would have just been fuckin confused. You have to dismantle so many of your own buildings to get the resources for a full evacuation that all my scouts would have found was an empty snowfield and the only evidence that humans were ever here would be what appears to be the worst road layout ever designed.

I just finished my first Winterhome run last night and I think that you just need to optimize against the evacuation needs early.

1) You need most of your steam cores to go toward the dreadnought, but you have tons and tons of workers. So don't build coal mines (use coal thumpers) or hothouses (use flying hunters); these are luxury buildings that you cannot afford. You can build these early on if you're really struggling but you're going to have to dismantle them later, and you'd be better served by just upgrading gathering posts, coal thumpers, and hunter buildings. I made the mistake of researching steam coal mines because I saw those 3 juicy coal deposits, but that's a trap.

2) Move your outpost to the steel deposit. You don't need the coal shipments, you can use coal thumpers to generate all of the coal that you need. Two advanced steelworks isn't really enough to fully outfit the dreadnought.

3) Don't build automatons. There are so many reasons to not build automatons. You have tons of labor. You need those precious few steam cores for other things. When the generator breaks your automatons will stop working anyway.

4) Building a Factory to pump out a bunch of prosthetics is reasonable, because there are precious engineers hidden in that stack of amputees that you start with. Amputees also can't reach the dreadnought. If you've moved your outpost to the steel deposit and prioritized building 2 advanced steelworks then you should have plenty of steel to spare. You'll want to dismantle the factory later, but retrieving those extra engineers is worth it I think.

5) Do get Overcrowding, and do get Infirmaries with the upgrade that reduces the number of workers. That's 20 sick people per infirmary with only 5 engineers for full efficiency. You have a few extra steam cores beyond what the Dreadnought needs, build some Infirmaries with them.

6) I think that you need houses with upgraded insulation and advanced heaters. These are necessary for those days when the generator breaks. Anyone living in a tent or working someplace without a heater is going to become sick, and you don't have enough engineers to support that many sick people. You could use Triage if you don't mind killing a ton of your population I guess, I just don't like Triage very much

I'm not sure whether Faith or Order is better here, but I think it's probably Faith; field kitchens are a little better on this map than foremen, simply because you're going to need every bit of heat you can get for those days when the generator is broken. Healthcare is difficult to manage because you have so few spare engineers, so preventing illness is a priority. Also, churches don't require workers, so all of your hope-raising buildings will continue functioning even as you evacuate the city. This is also a better thematic choice, since the dude who burned down the city was going down the Order path so presumably no one wants to see new guard towers and propaganda centers going up.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I actually really don't like the way the game handles housing due to some little silly issues which severely hurt the game's quality of life aspects and could really easily be fixed.

1: you can't see the populations of each house except by clicking on them one at a time. Some way to be able to see a display for how many people are in each house would be a godsend for the purposes of moving people around.

2: you can't assign houses to people. This is really irritating due to the ways people will occupy houses in sometimes unintuitive ways.

3: houses don't have heaters. This is really irritating, because during the Storm itself it is impossible to have houses as warm as any workplace. This is why you get weird, absurd strategies to avoid deaths like building houses of healing purely to act as housing during the Storm and then destroying all available housing. This is a major irritant and bluntly makes no sense at all! At the least you should be able to build "storm shelters" meant to house people during the Storm to avoid rampant frostbite and illness.

4: People without homes will sleep next to the generator even if they normally have a workplace that's reasonably warm. You should be able to have homeless people sleep overnight in their workplace as an optional emergency measure or law you can pass, in exchange for inferior efficiency while people are staying there. (Such as workshops and Hunter's Huts, both of which would be fairly comfortable emergency shelter.)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

All/most of those problems are circumvented by the fact that they'll always just move into the homes with the highest heat level. So you won't have people sleeping in bad houses instead of good houses at any point. You can also see how many people are in types of houses, at least.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The lack of heaters for houses is a fair complaint, it's weird that the coal mine is more comfortable than the upgraded house just because houses can't have heaters

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

QuarkJets posted:

Good strategy stuff

Yeah, definitely don't disagree with anything here. Most of the reason for my needing to dismantle the town was that I overused my steam cores and had to reclaim them. Since you always get your steam cores back from dismantling a building that needs uses them, and deconstructing empty houses was a fast and easy way to get extra resources every time I evacuated another batch of idiots. I still believe the super secret ~*~most optimal~*~ strategy involves using them in the early game and reclaiming them later but I'm certainly not going to be the one that solves that.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 3, 2018

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Hell as long as I'm complaining, it would honestly make just as much sense to seal your roads at higher tiers to turn your entire city enclosed. It's kinda weird you can't specifically storm-proof your city given you have lots of warning. As it stands, your houses can be connected with those little walkway tunnels, but you can't do the same for your roads?

jokes posted:

All/most of those problems are circumvented by the fact that they'll always just move into the homes with the highest heat level. So you won't have people sleeping in bad houses instead of good houses at any point. You can also see how many people are in types of houses, at least.

Yeah, but when you're deconstructing, people don't neatly distribute among houses. They'll pack like 7 to a house or something, which makes the Fall of Winterhome specifically really awkward.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 3, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fall of winterhome is gnawing at me, I'm trying to manage heat, food, and hope and I'm always only fine on two of those three. I try and immediately clear the generator heat zone and fill it with houses and hospitals but I feel like I'm missing something - ruins under gathering post coverage take forever to clear, which means I end up having coal problems and I'm not tackling the cold housing problem fast enough, so I get put on the hope timer at the first cold snap.

Is there enough slack in that map to just sweep out entire areas and rebuild? Like I need to fix my coal thumper placement, dismantle/rebuild roads, move that drat snow pit, and massively expand the hunter huts, but what should I be going for early?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah, you can sweep out the area closest to your generator first. Then use gathering posts to clear out the outlying areas; it doesn't matter if these take much longer to clear, you don't need most of that extra space.

I think tearing down the entire area around the generator and rebuilding tents there is a good first step. Build a steam hub near your starting medical posts, rebuild your generator area with tents (ie remove the public house wtf why is it in prime generator territory). Remove any tents that aren't in a heat zone, during a cold snap it's better to have them be homeless sleeping next to the warm generator than in a freezing tent. Fixing coal and food can and should be done simultaneously, you'll have plenty of wood income and plenty of hands to go hunting.

Another tip: reduce your generator range, you're not using most of it and that's a ton of coal to save at the beginning (do you really need to heat those destroyed buildings?). Increase the range only when you actually need it.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Of course when my engineers realize the train doesn't have space for them, but needs a few more days' steel to get everyone out, they desert an masse with the generator down.

Pricks. Look, guys, you can leave when we get the generator running one more time. If the hunters and millworkers still have to stay, so do you. Wait until them and gently caress, you guys can have the hunter blimps. It's probably more sensible than just running off into the cold with nothing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jetrauben posted:

Of course when my engineers realize the train doesn't have space for them, but needs a few more days' steel to get everyone out, they desert an masse with the generator down.

Pricks. Look, guys, you can leave when we get the generator running one more time. If the hunters and millworkers still have to stay, so do you. Wait until them and gently caress, you guys can have the hunter blimps. It's probably more sensible than just running off into the cold with nothing.

They're engineers.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
I got 500 people out on my second try.

It was a nightmare. By the end I was no longer caring about the people in the city and straight up having to let people die in their beds in the medical post, just shipping enough steel to the dreadnaught. I think the particular perversity there is that this is actually what you have to do. There's no way to avoid having to lie to your people until it's almost too late. I wish you had the option to explicitly tell people (not just let them go in an event) "Ok, we've accomplished what we set out here to do. You've done well, and you have ensured that the people of Winterhome live. Now go. Take whatever supplies you need." It's not like I was lacking for wood or food.

I soothe myself by saying that's what my Captain would do, and hey, I had three hunter's blimps still operational. Maybe that'll help people get away.

Weirdly, despite maxing out my possible supplies and cabin space, it claims "we set out ill prepared. scores died of illness". I assume that's talking about Winterhome itself?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Launching the dreadnought ends the scenario though, doesn't it? There's no saying what fraction of people would rather stay and try to survive without the generator than try to flee into the frozen wastleand after the dreadnought goes.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Launching the dreadnought ends the scenario though, doesn't it? There's no saying what fraction of people would rather stay and try to survive without the generator than try to flee into the frozen wastleand after the dreadnought goes.

I mean, people start leaving once they see the dreadnought is full. But some people explicitly choose to stay instead. I wish you could give them the option to just loot the place for food and supplies. Once the scenario is complete you're really just waiting for the end and hoping people psyche themselves up into leaving.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jetrauben posted:

I mean, people start leaving once they see the dreadnought is full. But some people explicitly choose to stay instead. I wish you could give them the option to just loot the place for food and supplies. Once the scenario is complete you're really just waiting for the end and hoping people psyche themselves up into leaving.

What I mean is that there's not really a reason to continue the scenario once the dreadnought is full, is there? It's safe to assume that people will do whatever looting they want after the dreadnought takes off

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I have two steam steelworks, should I even care about the steel Outpost at that point and just cannibalize the robot on the bridge?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

FAUXTON posted:

I have two steam steelworks, should I even care about the steel Outpost at that point and just cannibalize the robot on the bridge?

You'll quickly find that steel is the biggest limiting factor to completing the dreadnought by a wide margin. I'd keep the steel coming until it's done.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sardonik posted:

You'll quickly find that steel is the biggest limiting factor to completing the dreadnought by a wide margin. I'd keep the steel coming until it's done.

This; even if you have 2 Advanced Steelworks you may not have enough Steel to build all of the decks on the Dreadnought. The amount of steel that you need per deck grows exponentially, so it's easy to finish the first 2-3 but hard to get the last ones. You also just need a lot of steel in general (for flying hunters, for prosthetics, for houses and infirmaries, etc)

If you don't care about fully upgrading the Dreadnought then yeah, get that automaton. Otherwise, the steel outpost makes a big difference

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Huh, squeezed out 250 starving people, mostly children, on Hard difficulty. While the steel production was going steady, I failed to notice the declining food surpluses.
By day 17 the generator went out at -70, at a time people were already freezing. I had about two empty cabins, and about 70% of the food needed to feed all the passengers.

The game noted that we probably hosed up by only sending 25 engineers, but technically we managed to evacuate!

e: also people kept dying from lack of treatment despite plenty of free medical space. my theory is that 100% of some dumbly placed medical outpost caught the cold, immediately emptying the patients into the streets to cross half the city to the next one. Actually managing to get hope above 50% was pretty hard, given periodical deaths.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 5, 2018

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Finished my first playthrough and its fun but I wish there was a lot more stuff to develop and build. Are there plans for any add ons?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aln3KJYvwW4

:ck5:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yes!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008