Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
As for this forum, we know a thing or two about bad moderators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

STAC Goat posted:

I stand by the gag of him thinking he's the cool guy/straight man and them making GBS threads all over him.

Yes, but I was also able to remember everyone elses name but him for a reason. I will say that I liked him in LA to Vegas though. He is the perfect modern day Ross, but that is character you shouldn't want. That should have been a thing on Happy Endings, that Dave's favorite character from Friends was Ross.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I love Trebek, he is a Canadian treasure and a fan of Drag Race.

That said I haven't watched an episode of Jeopardy since I was literally a child probably

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Trailer for the only Marvel Netflix show I still care about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n83s6NO1NE0

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

My body is so goddamn ready.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Milo and POTUS posted:

As for this forum, we know a thing or two about bad moderators.

when SA changes servers we always have to write the scholastic site to make sure we're at least 50 connected links away. It's just for the best.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Rarity posted:

Trailer for the only Marvel Netflix show I still care about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n83s6NO1NE0

Uhhh... wasn't this basically the plot of the 2nd half of Luke Cage s1?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

swickles posted:

Yes, but I was also able to remember everyone elses name but him for a reason. I will say that I liked him in LA to Vegas though. He is the perfect modern day Ross, but that is character you shouldn't want. That should have been a thing on Happy Endings, that Dave's favorite character from Friends was Ross.

If I'm being honest I was re-reading your post trying to figure out who the missing person was and wondering if they were already on the show before someone else mentioned Dave.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Remember Heathers? Well it's back, in edited form! The Paramount Network will air the entire first season over the course of a week with two episodes a night starting on the 25th. It will also be available on their website/streaming on the 22nd. Apparently while the rest of the season will have light edits the final two episodes got a chainsaw took to em as the episode count has gone from 10 to 9 with the last two episodes edited down to one.

I'm not sure why they aren't just cutting their losses and just junking the entire thing instead of throwing good money after bad with this.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lodge 49 got renewed so watch it you monsters

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsGMkAWB6lY

Couple of decent jokes in there

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

muscles like this! posted:

Remember Heathers? Well it's back, in edited form! The Paramount Network will air the entire first season over the course of a week with two episodes a night starting on the 25th. It will also be available on their website/streaming on the 22nd. Apparently while the rest of the season will have light edits the final two episodes got a chainsaw took to em as the episode count has gone from 10 to 9 with the last two episodes edited down to one.

I'm not sure why they aren't just cutting their losses and just junking the entire thing instead of throwing good money after bad with this.

I'm at NYCC and I was baffled to see this getting promoted there, I had assumed they were memory holing it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

iirc it released uncut internationally? yeah I can see the whole season on my tracker.

I guess cutting it up is their attempt to make some more cash on it here, if it did well enough overseas to justify giving it a shot

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Zack Knighton was perfect as Dave and once they figured out his character he was one of the funniest parts of the show. He's 1/16th Navajo, godammit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm watching Community for the first time. It's pretty funny.

I missed basically a whole generation of comedies here so binging them has been fun

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm watching Community for the first time. It's pretty funny.

I missed basically a whole generation of comedies here so binging them has been fun

community is one of my favorites shows of all time and imo it gets so much better and funnier after the first half of the first season

also the two dnd episodes and the paintball episodes are some of the funniest things i've ever seen

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Community s1-3 make me so happy forever and also 5/6 rule too, and others may have different opinions and that is ok! Looking forward to the upcoming derail though

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Escobarbarian posted:

Lodge 49 got renewed so watch it you monsters

Hells yeah!

Can anyone fill me in on what the brouhaha about Heathers was? Was it a storm of ‘this is in poor taste in the era of school shootings’ or along those lines?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That and the fact that the bullies are all minorities while the girl being bullied is straight and white.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

Community s1-3 make me so happy forever and also 5/6 rule too, and others may have different opinions and that is ok! Looking forward to the upcoming derail though

I think this is pretty much the consensus opinion.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My Facebook memories today showed me a deadline article about Snoop Dogg starring in a family sitcom for a show that of course never happened but it also provided this gem:

quote:

NBC has mixed track record with sitcom projects toplined by rappers. It scored a hit in the 1990s with The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air starring Will Smith, but its 2001 comedy pilot starring Sisqo and comedy legend Bob Newhart was a disaster.

I think I just found my white whale.

asecondduck posted:

I think this is pretty much the consensus opinion.

There’s at least 3 people here who would put 6 over 1

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

And I'm one of them!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

There’s at least 3 people here who would put 6 over 1

I get thinking S2 or S3 is better than S1. I really like the vibe of the first half of S1 before Dan started to let more of himself bleed in, but it's a fairly different show.

But thinking that S6 is better than S1 is *points at my avatar*

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

And I'm one of them!

Sorry but I gotta go with the duck here. 6 is great, but even the “normal” episodes of s1 have just SO MANY laughs

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Season 1 of Community is hands down my favourite season.

e: however my fave episode is in s2 tbf

esperterra fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 5, 2018

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Yeah season one is probably the one I go back to as a whole the most. It's the best season for Chang and probably Britta.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Community hits different points for different people. I think we can all agree its a better than average show, with season 4 being the off one. I still think season 4 is watchable and has some good moments. I know a lot of people didn't like the puppet episode but I did, and thats partially due to my love of Sarah Bareilles abd part due to knowing people who do actual puppetry.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Conan's starting a podcast! Hell yeah. It's called Conan O'Brien Needs A Friend, and apparently it's interviews in a more relaxed setting than on his TV show. He says he has tons of guests on his TV show but they talk to him for a few minutes and then leave and that he isn't actually friends with most of them, so he's trying something different in an attempt to make friends with some of the people he'll have on.

There's a quick 5 minute intro up now but it's supposed to start for real next month.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 5, 2018

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Conan's starting a podcast! Hell yeah. It's called Conan O'Brien Needs A Friend, and apparently it's interviews in a more relaxed setting than on his TV show. He says he has tons of guests on his TV show but they talk to him for a few minutes and then leave and that he isn't actually friends with most of them, so he's trying something different in an attempt to make friends with some of the people he'll have on.

There's a quick 5 minute intro up now but it's supposed to start for real next month.

I'm sold.

Edit: and the first episode features Sona, so doubly sold.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hope we don't get ads for Squarespace or shaving supply subscriptions.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I know I've missed the immediate Heathers chat, but I've watched the whole thing (it's available for streaming where I'm at) and it's excellent. It's funny and intense and really well shot, and the edited release -- from what I hear they're cutting most of the final episode -- is just going to travesty it.

The show's pitch black satire of a kind that we don't really see a lot of on television, with a tendency to explain itself by way of implication (until it gets closer to the finale, by which point it makes itself very very clear). Like a lot of satire it's nasty, but I don't think it's unfair (particularly in the final reel), and there's some really fantastic scenes and speeches in the finale that bring the entire thing home in a way that I found quite powerful.

I know that the show's playing with political fire, and I think it does as well, but as someone who's lefter than a liberal (i.e. actually just left), I'd say that it knows what it's doing. So if that's what you need from your television, then it's got that too.

It's my pick for best new show of the year, and would easily sit in the top ten of what's going down right now.

Also this:

muscles like this! posted:

That and the fact that the bullies are all minorities while the girl being bullied is straight and white.

isn't really the case. But I think it'd ruin the experience to say anything else.

It's really good y'all.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 5, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rarity posted:

Zack Knighton was perfect as Dave and once they figured out his character he was one of the funniest parts of the show. He's 1/16th Navajo, godammit.

I'll fight you Rarity.

I'll probably lose but we gonna throw hands.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Season 1 of Community is hands down my favourite season.

e: however my fave episode is in s2 tbf

Feeling weirdly but nicely validated because I seem to recall literally everyone else saying that season 2 was like, objectively and obviously better.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For me (which definitely isn't the Community Fan opinion as I never finished the series) my thoughts were always that it starts off trying to be a little too much of a traditional sitcom, it figures itself out through S1 and really hits a groove for the last half of S1 and start of S2, but then just kind of loses itself up the gimmicks for the end of S2 and S3.

So I'm less of a "S1 or S2 is the best" and more "there's a sweet spot right in the middle."

But like I said, I lost interest in S3 and didn't get through S5 on a later watch attempt so I'm definitely not representing the general fanbase's opinion. But I was definitely a big fan when it was in that "groove."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

STAC Goat posted:

For me (which definitely isn't the Community Fan opinion as I never finished the series) my thoughts were always that it starts off trying to be a little too much of a traditional sitcom, it figures itself out through S1 and really hits a groove for the last half of S1 and start of S2, but then just kind of loses itself up the gimmicks for the end of S2 and S3.

So I'm less of a "S1 or S2 is the best" and more "there's a sweet spot right in the middle."

But like I said, I lost interest in S3 and didn't get through S5 on a later watch attempt so I'm definitely not representing the general fanbase's opinion. But I was definitely a big fan when it was in that "groove."

I can agree with this tbh. As much as I love nearly every season of the show, it really did get a bit too far up it's rear end about the gimmicks imho and while the episodes were often good to phenomenal, I missed the sorta more character driven show it started out as.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really despised season 3, after unabashedly loving the first 2

I seem to recall also being one of like 3 goons who thought Bob's Burgers was good from the beginning

To quote Tricky, "I be the prophet" (of lovely pop culture)

This means that in a couple years a bunch of goons are gonna discover Rectify season 1 and rightly declare it the most perfect season of television ever

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really grew to despise Abed as a character as the show went on.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

quote:

it really did get a bit too far up it's rear end

This isn't specifically about the Community comment above, but I've never understood this criticism towards any show. I've heard it levied at Adventure Time, Community, and Lost, among others. What does this even mean? That they keep trying new things, sometimes to success and sometimes to failure? Because I sure don't consider that a flaw, unless they consistently fail, which I don't think is the case for any of those.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

I really grew to despise Abed as a character as the show went on.

Abed is the most "Flanderized" character in living memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Argue posted:

This isn't specifically about the Community comment above, but I've never understood this criticism towards any show. I've heard it levied at Adventure Time, Community, and Lost, among others. What does this even mean? That they keep trying new things, sometimes to success and sometimes to failure? Because I sure don't consider that a flaw, unless they consistently fail, which I don't think is the case for any of those.

oh jeez... :lost: is also one of my favorite shows of all time and i agree that when i hear that criticism about a show it usually means the opposite to me and that its a show i'm going to really love