Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I’m burning out of Bookworm (I just finished part 3 book 2) and need another adorable-but-not-creepy series to read. It’s so hard sorting through all the loner harem wish fulfillment crap on Narou.

I’ll probably eventually go back to Bookworm but, just, drat Main has so many projects and crap going on that the whole book just seemed like an update on how everything was going. It feels like the story is in a holding pattern. So little actually resolved that it didn’t even feel like a complete novel.

The panda bus was great though. Also the dawn of bishonen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Annointed posted:

Mind linking us said Quest for those interested?

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/forge-of-destiny-xianxia-quest.35583/reader

Enjoy.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
So with Ze Tian Ji/Way of Choices ending I'm in need of some new titles to check out. I tend to have poor taste in the web novels I read and seem to have ended up in the "overpowered/all knowing" series of titles. I'm currently reading:
  • Sovereign of the Three Realms
  • Emperor's Domination
  • Overgeared

Previously I've enjoyed ISSTH and ZTJ, I read Coiling Dragon and it was okay. I tried a couple of other titles from the Coiling Dragon guy but couldn't get into them. I failed to complete Tales of Demons and Gods (mostly because of release schedule and the jump in scope of the story which I found aggravating) and also World of Cultivation (which I heard ended poorly anyway).

Lyon fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 3, 2018

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

If you liked ISSTH then read A Will Eternal, its Er Gens next book and its extremely good. Bai Xiaochun is a lot of fun and not at all like most cultivator main characters: Hes a scaredy cat, very goofy and loves to walk around and force people to praise him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You have to respect a main character who can get people to stop, realize they've seen him practice his "Heroically standing around looking off to the distance" move, and have to deal with the horrifying reality that it's going to work anyways.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Bai Xiaochun is what you get if you took the typical arrogant young master villain and made him the MC. Er Gen seems to have realised the best parts of ISSTH were the scams and schemes and then made and really doubled down on it. Which is truly for the better.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Is A Will Eternal the one with the rabbit?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mulva posted:

You have to respect a main character who can get people to stop, realize they've seen him practice his "Heroically standing around looking off to the distance" move, and have to deal with the horrifying reality that it's going to work anyways.

Ai, hes just too outstanding. What a curse.

Piell posted:

Is A Will Eternal the one with the rabbit?

Yes

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Meme Emulator posted:

If you liked ISSTH then read A Will Eternal, its Er Gens next book and its extremely good. Bai Xiaochun is a lot of fun and not at all like most cultivator main characters: Hes a scaredy cat, very goofy and loves to walk around and force people to praise him.

That and in a similar vein I am still rather enjoying the Library of Heaven's Path.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Megazver posted:

That and in a similar vein I am still rather enjoying the Library of Heaven's Path.

Agreed. The plot gets a bit ( a lot) repetitive but I have fun reading it every time.

Slapping faces everywhere!

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Annointed posted:

Mind linking us said Quest for those interested?

The one I am running is here:

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/you-are-a-sector-admiral-of-a-strained-imperium.49239/

It is a soft sci-fi set up where the main character is a common born late 30 something commodore in a deeply hosed up space empire. It has space nobles, the empire is about as hosed up as a society with Space Dukes might be expected to be.

Definitely not the best characterization or writing from me but I have been having run running it and people have gotten enough into the mechanical aspects to go and make monstrous Google Document combat calculators and similar.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Getsuya posted:

I’m burning out of Bookworm (I just finished part 3 book 2) and need another adorable-but-not-creepy series to read. It’s so hard sorting through all the loner harem wish fulfillment crap on Narou.

I’ll probably eventually go back to Bookworm but, just, drat Main has so many projects and crap going on that the whole book just seemed like an update on how everything was going. It feels like the story is in a holding pattern. So little actually resolved that it didn’t even feel like a complete novel.

The panda bus was great though. Also the dawn of bishonen.

We seem to be progressing through the series fairly closely to each other so if you burn out I won't have anyone to discuss with :( (not that we ever did) but I guess it'll give me time to catch up with you.

I'm just about to finish the part where Wilfried takes over Rosemaine's duties for a day and wow is this kid a piece of poo poo

Also, it's a RED Panda! Totally different!

Edit: I get what you mean though; prior to this I had to go through what felt like several chapters of her reporting to and being reported to by Ferdinand and Benno about so many different things

Argue fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 4, 2018

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I'm kind of with Getsuya here. There's a section in the middle of arc 3 of Honzuki that feels like reading minutes from some business meeting with nothing but reports on project progress.

That said, it's relatively brief, and things take a more, uh, action-oriented turn for the end of the arc, and then the entire series shoots up a couple of levels when it breaks into arc 4, which is where it really shines in my opinion, as all parts finally start coming together somehow.

Might still be nice with a break, though. I can recommend Watashi wa Tatakau Dungeon Master, if you want to stick with female protagonists in an isekai setting.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

I'm just about to finish the part where Wilfried takes over Rosemaine's duties for a day and wow is this kid a piece of poo poo

Yeah, he gets better but he’s one of the only characters in the series a lot of fans seem to hate.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've been laughing my rear end off at omniscient reader's viewpoint. it's a standard dumb apocalypse story where the mc has lots of foreknowledge, but with a twist! see, the mc was the only person on the planet who managed to read all of an incredibly lovely wn and the apocalypse is the setting of that godawful wn. in other words, the mc has a superhuman lack of taste.

i never thought i could be the protagonist of a webnovel.

the actual wn is quite thoroughly mediocre, of course.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

there's a twist partway through

the protagonist thinks that only him and the wn's author know what's going to happen,

but there's a third person omniscient

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This sounds like it would be hell to get an accurate translation, but I guess I'm used to Japanese where they're not always very good at separating first person and third person.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I loved Ferdi’s concert though.

I think one of the problems with the published volumes is that the author wrote the series as arcs instead of books so the books are just random chunks of the arcs. That’s why you get stuff like 3.2 ending randomly right in the middle of nothing in particular.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Getsuya posted:

I loved Ferdi’s concert though.

I think one of the problems with the published volumes is that the author wrote the series as arcs instead of books so the books are just random chunks of the arcs. That’s why you get stuff like 3.2 ending randomly right in the middle of nothing in particular.

What was going in in that chapter? Is it the part following the minor attack on the new temple where it's all just Maine being lectured by Ferd and then crying about it to Benno? Because that's the part I just finished last week and it sure felt like forever.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Nah that's more toward the front of the book. The book ended so abruptly it's almost hard for me to remember exactly what was going on but I think it was just her coming back to the temple after spending some time at the castle and getting some more reports from everyone. They're just getting ready for winter. I think one of the Gutenbergs had something new to report on their progress but I'm pretty sure the book cut off before she talked with him.

Edit: I want to meet those goddamn rabbits on the covers but I don’t think they show up until part 4.
Edit2: The way people describe Main to each other is hilarious and reminds me of when the one guy on SA was talking about how dumb horses are. ‘Be careful or she’ll randomly think about ants and die’

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 4, 2018

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Patrat posted:

The one I am running is here:

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/you-are-a-sector-admiral-of-a-strained-imperium.49239/

It is a soft sci-fi set up where the main character is a common born late 30 something commodore in a deeply hosed up space empire. It has space nobles, the empire is about as hosed up as a society with Space Dukes might be expected to be.

Definitely not the best characterization or writing from me but I have been having run running it and people have gotten enough into the mechanical aspects to go and make monstrous Google Document combat calculators and similar.

Currently reading through, wow this is giving me the same vibes as reading those pulp novels of taking old naval battles and aristocracy and putting it all in the far future. It evokes memories of intricately detailed ships inked in pen. In other words I am really digging the aesthetic and the climb towards power.

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012

Lyon posted:

So with Ze Tian Ji/Way of Choices ending I'm in need of some new titles to check out. I tend to have poor taste in the web novels I read and seem to have ended up in the "overpowered/all knowing" series of titles. I'm currently reading:
  • Sovereign of the Three Realms
  • Emperor's Domination
  • Overgeared

Previously I've enjoyed ISSTH and ZTJ, I read Coiling Dragon and it was okay. I tried a couple of other titles from the Coiling Dragon guy but couldn't get into them. I failed to complete Tales of Demons and Gods (mostly because of release schedule and the jump in scope of the story which I found aggravating) and also World of Cultivation (which I heard ended poorly anyway).

Check out ztj’s authors other series. Path towards heaven is slow to get going but the writing is up there with ztj. I’m also reading nightfall wich is much rougher but still pretty good.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's not a WN, but I'm not seeing a LN thread so I figured I'd post here.

I decided to take a leap on an Amazon recommendation, and it turned out okay.

Gear Drive is an inoffensive wish fulfillment story that features Anti Kythera, a magicless girl that gets a weird ability that lets her make and control gears. It combines with a couple items and becomes overpowered, but in that slightly fun way where it requires a bit of imagination. I wish there was a little less help offered by Anti's "Crown" and more came from Anti herself, but I still think she has enough of her own agency.

It's new, out February in Japan and just last month in English, so there's only the one volume. It's mostly just setup, but it's short and didn't drag on, with a couple sequel hooks that make me interested in reading more when they come out.

Spoilers regarding some of the wind down after the climax and also the final, semi-bonus chapter (It's after the Afterword): I want to also read a spin off about the Fakers, after they've grown up. :3:

I hope Purple Lightning doesn't wind up brainwashed and an antagonist, so her and Anti get to go on fun adventures together. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how things go, though hopefully only temporarily.

Onean fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 7, 2018

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Onean posted:

It's not a WN, but I'm not seeing a LN thread so I figured I'd post here.

(it's still a web novel: https://ncode.syosetu.com/n4147dw/)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Ah. I didn't see anything other than the LN when I did a quick Google of the author or the romaji of the Japanese title.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
So I read through Forge of Destiny. Seems like I picked a good time since the first year/arc has wrapped up. Good stuff. But one thing I noticed that I haven't seen mentioned is that all of the other character gen choices ended up as side characters in the story.

Ji Rong is the Prisoner, Li Suyin is the Scholar, Han Jian is the High Noble, Fatty Hao seems to be the Artisan but I'm not sure about the Soldier, maybe Chu Song?

Anyway their blurbs give a little extra insight. For instance The Prisoner contains the bit "Significant enemy from the get go." And storywise this is represented by Ji Rong having killed a member of the Huang family who was preying on street mortals. I think that's mostly the reason Ji Rong ended up on the other side of the divide. Even if no one actually likes him, Huang Da is still on the council and represents everything bad about nobles to him.

I will add that this was prompted by me watching Thunderbolt Fantasy and craving some silly Sevenpath Holy Dragon Sword Destruction Technique action. If you have not already, go check out some Taiwanese puppets doing kungfu.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870313

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 8, 2018

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

quote:

in his heart, he was greeting all past eighteen generations of Luo Xi ancestors an entire round
Anyone know what this is supposed to mean? Some sort of Chinese idiom or something? Keeps popping up in the novel I'm reading right now

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
It means he cussed out the guy's ancestors all the way back by eighteen generations. The "greeting" is probably a poor machine translation of 问候, which while does mean greeting, in this case means to curse. As a side note, anything dealing with your ancestors, and by eighteen generations, is generally not something good.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I'm having fun learning all the weird language ticks of translated Chinese (coughing up blood, slapping faces, and whatnot) but that one wasn't immediately clear.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

7c Nickel posted:

So I read through Forge of Destiny. Seems like I picked a good time since the first year/arc has wrapped up. Good stuff. But one thing I noticed that I haven't seen mentioned is that all of the other character gen choices ended up as side characters in the story.

Ji Rong is the Prisoner, Li Suyin is the Scholar, Han Jian is the High Noble, Fatty Hao seems to be the Artisan but I'm not sure about the Soldier, maybe Chu Song?

I think Gan Guangli was maybe from a soldier family?

It's good to see new people reading FoD. I'm really excited about the upcoming new arc. I think it's quite possibly the most entertaining "people 'leveling up' and getting in fights"-format story I've ever read, since it manages to avoid the progression feeling too contrived or making the protagonist feel too special. Like, Ling Qi is definitely hyper-talented and lucky, but so far there's nothing really indicating she is some completely unheard of talent with some special "game-breaking" ability, even if people like her are really rare.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Ji Rong was the actual stereotypical xianxia protagonist, and he spent the whole year getting Ji Rekt.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I've always maintained that Ling Qi is also a typical xianxia protagonist, just from a higher quality of xianxia. More Meng Hao at his best than whoever that dude is in Martial God Asura or something. She's even had a scene where she is ripping up furniture bolted to the ground in order to steal it, to make sure she really cleaned the place out. Now she just needs to steal some truly special floor tiles.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

I read this and didn't really like it. She gets a skill called gear craft but then, to echo an Amazon review, it involves neither gears nor craft and she just gets handed all kinds of advantages without even having to so much as lift a finger.

The anti gravity spinning gear would have been neat if she had the idea but instead it just happened on its own without her intervention. She was just pulled along for the ride.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

The Sandman posted:

Ji Rong was the actual stereotypical xianxia protagonist, and he spent the whole year getting Ji Rekt.

I hope he keeps getting dunked on by my turtle nerd boi who loves romance novels Xuan Shi

My other boi Gan Flexington got a Task capital letters from Kung Fu Stalin or else he gets replaced :ohdear:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Just finished the first book of AWE, good stuff. Does it manage to keep up the tone the whole way through? I fell off of ISSTH after he left his clan's holdings to join the something or other Oceans sect and it felt like it was just going to be power level fights with no swindles from there on.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 11, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yep, the best part of AWE is that Bai Xiaochun retains his silly personality no matter how powerful he gets.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 11, 2018

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Sindai posted:

Yep, the best part of AWE is that Bai Xiaochun retains his silly personality no matter how powerful he gets.

If anything, once he starts racking up accomplishments it just makes his personality worse.

I love that he carries around the 20,000 fake love letters and dumps them all out of his bag of holding at a moments notice just to brag

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

The Lord of Hats posted:

Just finished the first book of AWE, good stuff. Does it manage to keep up the tone the whole way through? I fell off of ISSTH after he left his clan's holdings to join the something or other Oceans sect and it felt like it was just going to be power level fights with no swindles from there on.

Only the most dangerous battles await such as

quote:

“A staring contest it is!” he thought, heart swelling with confidence in his world-wide supremacy in this field.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I enjoyed the first 500 chapters but I hear it gets worse after that and the ending (it's complete in Chinese) is a wet fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I Was Just an Only Child Boy, Now I Became One of a Four Quadruplet Sisters

Oh japan.