Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Goff has some weaknesses, which McVay does a seriously amazing job ameliorating. Does that mean he's a "system quarterback" who doesn't have any skill? Of course it doesn't. He's got a great arm and if you give some time and get a guy some separation he's probably gonna hit the throw even if it's a tight window.

This season, I've been really impressed with his quick decision making. He sees a throw that he can make and there is absolutely zero hesitation, he fires it off and usually hits it perfectly. He's also been climbing the pocket really well and the way he avoids pressure while keeping his eyes downfield. Both of these traits he used to be completely useless at and I see clear improvement even from the end of last season.

At the same time, just because he's been making wonderful throws and his team is succeeding doesn't mean he's reached the level of the best quarterbacks. He probably doesn't have as much raw talent as a lot of other guys around the league, but clearly he has enough. He probably couldn't take a bad team and make them good, but most quarterbacks can't.

On this team? Better watch out. McVay has that offense just beautifully tuned to him and what he can do. You can see him growing as a player literally from game to game because of that working relationship. He's gotten so much more skilled since he was drafted and he couldn't be in a better situation to continue improving, so whether he's a "system quarterback" (aka a quarterback with a good coach) is a moot point. He has plenty of talent and a great coach; they work well together and win games and that's all that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Play posted:

Goff has some weaknesses, which McVay does a seriously amazing job ameliorating. Does that mean he's a "system quarterback" who doesn't have any skill? Of course it doesn't. He's got a great arm and if you give some time and get a guy some separation he's probably gonna hit the throw even if it's a tight window.

This season, I've been really impressed with his quick decision making. He sees a throw that he can make and there is absolutely zero hesitation, he fires it off and usually hits it perfectly. He's also been climbing the pocket really well and the way he avoids pressure while keeping his eyes downfield. Both of these traits he used to be completely useless at and I see clear improvement even from the end of last season.

At the same time, just because he's been making wonderful throws and his team is succeeding doesn't mean he's reached the level of the best quarterbacks. He probably doesn't have as much raw talent as a lot of other guys around the league, but clearly he has enough. He probably couldn't take a bad team and make them good, but most quarterbacks can't.

On this team? Better watch out. McVay has that offense just beautifully tuned to him and what he can do. You can see him growing as a player literally from game to game because of that working relationship. He's gotten so much more skilled since he was drafted and he couldn't be in a better situation to continue improving, so whether he's a "system quarterback" (aka a quarterback with a good coach) is a moot point. He has plenty of talent and a great coach; they work well together and win games and that's all that matters.

Correct. And in conclusion, gently caress Jeff Fisher.

Seriously, I hear what you're saying.

However, gently caress Jeff Fisher.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Goff won't truly be tested until he plays in New England and his helmet radio "mysteriously" cuts out.

It's funny though, I was raised a Cal fan (family thing) so I've seen a ton of him. Still so tough to tell what lets players like him and Rodgers succeed in the NFL where others fail. Their games are on different worlds than in college--obviously they had the ability to grow to what they are, but how much of that is because Rodgers weirdly fell to Green Bay and got to sit behind Favre, and that Goff had McVay swoop in to save the team?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

i don't know how you can watch those 5 TDs Goff threw last Thursday and not see an elite QB

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

nah posted:

i don't know how you can watch those 5 TDs Goff threw last Thursday and not see an elite QB

Trubisky threw 6. Nick Foles threw 7.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

i don't mean the number i mean the actual touchdowns themselves. all of them were perfect

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

shirts and skins posted:

Goff won't truly be tested until he plays in New England and his helmet radio "mysteriously" cuts out.

It's funny though, I was raised a Cal fan (family thing) so I've seen a ton of him. Still so tough to tell what lets players like him and Rodgers succeed in the NFL where others fail. Their games are on different worlds than in college--obviously they had the ability to grow to what they are, but how much of that is because Rodgers weirdly fell to Green Bay and got to sit behind Favre, and that Goff had McVay swoop in to save the team?

The NFL handles both team's radios

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

They also handle officiating

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Oh, yes! Of course. Must be a weird Foxboro coincidence.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

shirts and skins posted:

Oh, yes! Of course. Must be a weird Foxboro coincidence.

The NFL owns, sets up, and monitors the radios. The last time this came up was a dolphins/pats primetime game where everyone started shouting out Pepe Silvia and it turned out the dolphins equipment guy put a dead battery into a headset.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Correct. And in conclusion, gently caress Jeff Fisher.

Seriously, I hear what you're saying.

However, gently caress Jeff Fisher.

Last year was Goff's rookie year, McVay had him forget everything that Fisher and Co put him through and restarted from step one. They did that weird thing last year where Goff had to rush to the line so McVay could call out his reads and adjust the play prior to the helmet radio cutting out. In the middle of the Texans game last year it started to come together and he started calling out the same plays as McVay and I think they've stopped completely this year.

Everything you're seeing this year with Goff is just his actual development under someone that knows you can't just throw guys on the field and hope they are breakout stars, you need to teach them how to play in the NFL and you need to give them plays that put them in a position to succeed.

Danny Kelly of The Ringer did kind of a fluffy profile on McVay yesterday but even with all the obvious gushy quotes and stories, he really does have the respect and attention of his players.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/10/4/17936990/sean-mcvay-offensive-mind-los-angeles-rams

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Chichevache posted:

Trubisky threw 6. Nick Foles threw 7.

Matt Flynn once threw over 500 yards once!!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

nah posted:

i don't mean the number i mean the actual touchdowns themselves. all of them were perfect

They definitely were, but there are some other things to consider too. For example, how much time did Goff have to line up his receiver? How open was his receiver? How much pressure was Goff facing as he threw the ball?

The best throw of the night easily was the one to Cooper Kupp in the back corner of the end zone, because Goff was on the move and it was a pretty long, totally pinpoint throw. Even then the pressure on him was pretty weak, with him getting quite a bit of time moving to his right. And if you go over a lot of the other throws that night, you'll see that dudes are basically wide open and Goff was given a beautiful pocket to throw from. He was hitting wide receivers who had been isolated on linebackers and had yards and yards of separation, or Brandin Cooks on deep crossing routes where no DB can hang with him.

It doesn't mean he isn't good, he's the one that hit those throws! But it makes sense to acknowledge the large roles McVay and the rest of the team play in Goff's success. I will say that he seems to be getting better quickly so he very well may join that upper echelon of quarterbacks eventually.

DariusLikewise posted:

Last year was Goff's rookie year, McVay had him forget everything that Fisher and Co put him through and restarted from step one. They did that weird thing last year where Goff had to rush to the line so McVay could call out his reads and adjust the play prior to the helmet radio cutting out. In the middle of the Texans game last year it started to come together and he started calling out the same plays as McVay and I think they've stopped completely this year.

Everything you're seeing this year with Goff is just his actual development under someone that knows you can't just throw guys on the field and hope they are breakout stars, you need to teach them how to play in the NFL and you need to give them plays that put them in a position to succeed.

He probably saved Goff's career by taking it back to step one and stripping out everything Fisher ever failed to teach him. Not only is McVay a good play caller and designer, it seems like he's a good teacher too. And I think that the players on the Rams understanding exactly what they're doing and why they're doing it explains some of their success

Play
Apr 25, 2006

You guys think the Cardinals could get their first win this week? I think they actually have a chance

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Play posted:

The best throw of the night easily was the one to Cooper Kupp in the back corner of the end zone, because Goff was on the move and it was a pretty long, totally pinpoint throw. Even then the pressure on him was pretty weak, with him getting quite a bit of time moving to his right. And if you go over a lot of the other throws that night, you'll see that dudes are basically wide open and Goff was given a beautiful pocket to throw from. He was hitting wide receivers who had been isolated on linebackers and had yards and yards of separation, or Brandin Cooks on deep crossing routes where no DB can hang with him.

Allegedly that play was designed by Goff and pitched to McVay

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Play posted:

You guys think the Cardinals could get their first win this week? I think they actually have a chance

It's a divisional game against CJ Beathard and a defense that can't tackle, so yeah, they have a chance.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I can’t wait for the Seahawks to beat the Rams on Sunday.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Play posted:

If they can't then they're losing out the rest of the way

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

mike- posted:

I can’t wait for the Seahawks to beat the Rams on Sunday.

Would be the biggest upset of the season thus far for sure.

I rate this enthusiasm as: doubtful

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chris Simms' podcast is excellent.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/camdasilva/status/1048312660562010112

Mark Barron is on track to play Sunday McVay said today

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

EmbryoSteve posted:

Would be the biggest upset of the season thus far for sure.

I rate this enthusiasm as: doubtful

Vikings Bills was the upset of the season.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
What do the 49ers have to lose by signing Kaepernick at this point? The season is lost. Everybody is dead. Let the Gazelle run, imo.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Imagine a backfield with Breida, Juszczyk, and Kaepernick.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Bareback Werewolf posted:

What do the 49ers have to lose by signing Kaepernick at this point? The season is lost. Everybody is dead. Let the Gazelle run, imo.

Kaep is done with football now I figure. At least until this lawsuit is over.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'm not sure if I even want him to come back, I'd rather see him win his lawsuit. Also what if he sucks real bad, that would really chap my britches

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

DariusLikewise posted:

Kaep is done with football now I figure. At least until this lawsuit is over.

Eric Reid just signed with the Panthers and his suit is still ongoing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Spoeank posted:

Hello friends and neighbors

Good for Kittle !

He's getting hurt tomorrow, just watch.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Vikings Bills was the upset of the season.

At some point we have to admit that the Vikings just aren’t a notably good football team this year.

Also someone really ought to adjust those TD-pass numbers for one-yard “passes” to a sweeping back that might as well be hand-offs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bareback Werewolf posted:

Jed York is still the owner. There's bad blood between them so it ain't happening.

Benny the Snake posted:

Eric Reid just signed with the Panthers and his suit is still ongoing.

Yeah even if Kaep signed somewhere that would not be especially bad for his suit, and in fact if he was subsequently able to show he could perform at least as well as a backup QB is expected to, that would actually help it. Collusion against him by all 32 teams vs. collusion against him by only 31 teams is pretty immaterial. And for damages he can still claim lost income for the years he was prevented from playing due to that collusion. And since the lawsuit has moved forward, he still gets discovery, which means whatever records exist of the owners discussing him and agreeing none of them would hire him are just as pertinent regardless.

All that said I really don't think he'll play again. At least not in the US, it'd be amazing if a canadian team took him on!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
49ers: number one team in the NFL, baby! Wooooooo!

*goes back to drinking heavily*

https://twitter.com/BDPeacock/status/1048825272764530688

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
hahaha jesus.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

That's just starting QB money added to a regular total though

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Oh for gently caress’s sake.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
NFC West 2.0: All of the Niners Are Dead

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I'm so sorry, 49ers, but this is for your own good. The suffering will be over soon.

:blastu:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So uh ... where are the rest of the Niners' wins coming from?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Who died today?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Seahawks...good?

Adbot