Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And you say that you were provoked by the Polish people to attack them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I hope there's a follow-up article with the Netherlands represented by The Incredible Hulk and he says "ITS CLOGGERIN' TIME!"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Did anyone at the time actually *believe* the Nazis false flag tricks and think that Germany was just defending itself?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Fangz posted:

Did anyone at the time actually *believe* the Nazis false flag tricks and think that Germany was just defending itself?

The made up casus belli is the "the gently caress you lookin at" of international relations

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Point of order, neither Austria nor Czechoslovakia existed any more at this point in time. :colbert:

Edit: as to the false flag, some people might claim to believe it if it's convenient to them, to justify an isolationist or pro-German position, and I imagine some proportion of Germans believed it. Don't underestimate the effect of years of propaganda.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 4, 2018

Clarence
May 3, 2012

zoux posted:

Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords...
That's no basis for a system of government...

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Fangz posted:

feedmegin posted:

as to the false flag, some people might claim to believe it if it's convenient to them, to justify an isolationist or pro-German position, and I imagine some proportion of Germans believed it. Don't underestimate the effect of years of propaganda.
You also did still have some doing the "a pox on both houses" reaction where they didn't really believe the German version entirely, but figured the Poles had done something that the Germans were exaggerating for effect. That the Poles were just as much to blame, or at least had reacted to German aggression in a way that removed their moral standing. The kind of people who get tied up over :decorum: in domestic politics usually apply similar standards on the international level.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 4, 2018

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

feedmegin posted:

Point of order, neither Austria nor Czechoslovakia existed any more at this point in time. :colbert:

German soldiers weren't 500 miles tall and wore their bayonets on their left side, but what're you gonna do...?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Plus I am pretty sure that monster could easily deal with any panzers due to it's scale.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

feedmegin posted:

I picked up an atlas published ~1942 with a big note on the first page saying listen we're just gonna show 1935 borders until we see how this all shakes out.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cessna posted:

German soldiers weren't 500 miles tall and wore their bayonets on their left side, but what're you gonna do...?

I did wonder where you fit the bayonet on an MP40 tbh

Edit: which wasnt even in service in 1939. Srsly why are comedy cartoonists so bad at research :mad:

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 4, 2018

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

P-Mack posted:

I picked up an atlas published ~1942 with a big note on the first page saying listen we're just gonna show 1935 borders until we see how this all shakes out.

That's fantastic.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

feedmegin posted:

I did wonder where you fit the bayonet on an MP40 tbh

Edit: which wasnt even in service in 1939. Srsly why are comedy cartoonists so bad at research :mad:

Sure it was. The MP38 was basically the same gun just with more milled parts. The MP40 was a redesign to make better use of stamping and make the gun cheaper and quicker to manufacture.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

feedmegin posted:

The MP40 was a simplified version of the MP38:

Which entered service in...

wait for it...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Cessna posted:

The MP40 was a simplified version of the MP38:

Which entered service in...

wait for it...

I'm on the edge of my seat! :ohdear:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's essentially the one without the wooden furniture on it yeah?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's essentially the one without the wooden furniture on it yeah?

I believe the big difference was that the MP38 was made from machined parts while the MP40 was made easier to manufacture through use of stamped parts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxv7bb5gfMU

This looks close to getting into oorah territory but also those MoH citation descriptions are often insane, so it'll be interesting to see the dramatizations. I can tell from the trailer they're gonna do an Inouye episode at least.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Re:Snake derail.

Fer de lances are fairly chill and I accidentally shared a small chultun with one while doing survey work and didnt realize until I went over some photos later.

The issue is that most snakes are NOT loving chill when you encounter them when brush clearing or macheting a path through the jungle. They are basically fairly pissed by that time you get near them and then you swing a machete near them and welp. If you encounter them on an already clear path its fairly easy to go around them but most paths get overgrown fairly fast.

Rule of thumb was when you werent chopping to have your machete out in front of you edge first just in case.

Edit: Some are likely mimics but several people on my project have had to kill Fer de lances because they would not gently caress off and were in the middle of the only trail possible.

I guess the tldr is that snakes are not really going to bug you if you dont provoke them but you are not always going to know when you are provoking them.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 4, 2018

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

Re:Snake derail.

Fer de lances are fairly chill and I accidentally shared a small chultun with one while doing survey work and didnt realize until I went over some photos later.

The issue is that most snakes are NOT loving chill when you encounter them when brush clearing or macheting a path through the jungle. They are basically fairly pissed by that time you get near them and then you swing a machete near them and welp. If you encounter them on an already clear path its fairly easy to go around them but most paths get overgrown fairly fast.

Rule of thumb was when you werent chopping to have your machete out in front of you edge first just in case.

Edit: Some are likely mimics but several people on my project have had to kill Fer de lances because they would not gently caress off and were in the middle of the only trail possible.

I guess the tldr is that snakes are not really going to bug you if you dont provoke them but you are not always going to know when you are provoking them.

Yeah refusing to gently caress off is a pretty good indication its a real one and not a mimic, and they are not snakes to be trifled with. I admit I was exaggerating calling them slugs, but they really do move at a snails pace when relaxed. However like most vipers they can "sprint" real fast for short distances when they're warm and threatened. However unlike many elapsids and posturing mimics, I've never seen or heard of them doing this aggressively. Only away from people as fast as possible. By contrast, I once watched a King Cobra hood, rear a meter high, and turn around and head straight for a handler stumbling backwards as fast as possible.

Fortunately I didn't have many interactions with fer de lance in Latin America, but there was an eyelash viper that set himself up on palm leaf hanging into a narrow path around our study site riiight at head height, and stayed there for weeks. I must have almost blundered into that fucker half a dozen times, probably should have relocated it.

So this post is vaguely military related, back when I was working at Fort Polk I was living in a forestry cabin to the southeast off Pitkin highway, and when I came home in the evening the road was always packed with copperheads and cottonmouths warming up on the pavement for the night. I couldn't help but stop at everyone and try and shoo them off just like "hey little guy, it's not safe here, you gotta move before someone less nice comes" :ohdear: *stomps and waves hands at the venomous reptile for five minutes*

At Fort Polk we were also running drift nets and one of our trapping sites was on a little sandy rise where the trainees also loved to bivouac during war games. Their reactions when we came around were sometimes hilarious, like one time when someone ran over a fence with their apc and when we showed up a whole bunch of guys came out looking terrified, shouting "IT WAS ALREADY LIKE THAT WHEN WE GOT HERE, I DEFINITELY DIDN'T BREAK IT, YOU CAN'T PROVE ANYTHING!!!" Like seriously lol at the idea the brass are going to care you messed up the bio experiments. Or other times I would just try and mess with them a little bit, like in the morning if there were guys sleeping or resting around the box trap I'd loudly wonder "WHY are they SLEEPING next to the SNAKE PIT? Don't they know WE'RE LURING SNAKES right to this spot HERE?" It probably wasn't any more dangerous than any other spot really but I liked to make them think about it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
If you dont prank people during field work you are not doing it right. Also I have to ask, did you ever run into any chechem while in Latin America? That poo poo loving blows.

So this post is military history related, there is some footage of a colleague of mine going to town on a side of beef with a macuahuitl for some experiments. Ill see if I can grab it for the thread. Consensus was that it loving sucks to get hit by it because tiny obsidian flakes break off with each hit and stay in the wounds.

Someone also launched a Clovis point tipped spear straight through a buffalo skin wrapped block of ballistic gel with some ribs set inside which was also neat.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 5, 2018

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

HEY GUNS posted:

in classical greece there were "house snakes" which were small, non-poisonous, and ate mice. they didn't have cats yet, those were introduced to europe during classical roman times

I know that it's probably not the case, but I will now imagine Romans invading Egypt and finding cats.

Legionnaire Sixtus Quintus Polonius Diplodocus: *points at cat* What's that?
Cat: *meows Ptolemaically*
Egyptian: it's a cat, it's a very holy creature.
Legionnaire Sixtus Quintus Polonius Diplodocus: What does it do?
Egyptians: It sleeps all day, grooms itself, doesn't give a gently caress about anything and kills with startling efficiency.
Legionnaire Sixtus Quintus Polonius Diplodocus: Oh my gods, it's just like a patrician, I must have them.
Cat: *shreds priceless scrolls*

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
and at least according to some bullshit i read, the orange ones originated in nordic countries and vikings spread them throughout their travels

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm about to start playing AC:Odyssey and I better be able to get a snake for my boat.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

and at least according to some bullshit i read, the orange ones originated in nordic countries and vikings spread them throughout their travels

Cats or snakes?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SocialHistoryOx/status/1048210584108511234

At 8 my go to insult was accusations of booger eating

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/SocialHistoryOx/status/1048210584108511234

At 8 my go to insult was accusations of booger eating

i wanna hang out with that 8 year old

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
17th century battle rap was savage

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

i wanna hang out with that 8 year old

Nah I don't want to be read into oblivion by preteens

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
:kiddo: "thou art a heretic, thou art a son of perdition, a son of belial, thou art born only to sin, and that unceasingly"

:hist101: "i just asked if you wanted fishsticks with your sketti"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Cessna posted:

I believe the big difference was that the MP38 was made from machined parts while the MP40 was made easier to manufacture through use of stamped parts.
It's this precisely. Despite the change in designation, they're by all real measure the same gun, to the point of parts being largely interchangeable. Think milled AK-47 vs stamped.

In fact, the Russians ultimately brought in German engineers they had, uh, acquired post-WW2 to fix some of the problems they were having with producing stamped AKs. An expertise the Germans had in part developed via the MP38/MP40 revision.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Why did the Allies only declare war against Germany when Germany and the Soviet Union invaded Poland?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeasement

By sacrificing their own allies (with minor a), the Allies (with capital A) hoped to divert German aggression eastward or at least buy themselves time (which was paradoxically a dumb idea as the Wehrmacht of 1938 was just a shadow of the Wehrmacht of 1940)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

quote:

which was paradoxically a dumb idea as the Wehrmacht of 1938 was just a shadow of the Wehrmacht of 1940)

To be fair, this also applied to eg the RAF

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

ChubbyChecker posted:

Why did the Allies only declare war against Germany when Germany and the Soviet Union invaded Poland?

Unlike Germany, the Soviet Union hadn't already been told "Stop conquering your neighbors. We mean it this time." The Allied acquiescence to the annexation of Czechoslovakia was on the condition "This is it. No more territorial claims."

When Hitler went into Poland in violation of this agreement, Britain and France found themselves in a "put up or shut up" position, where they either had to enforce their "seriously, stop conquering people" demands or prove that they had no power - conceding dominance of even the unconquered parts of Europe to the Reich and forfeiting their status as Great Powers.

Since they hadn't been pushing the Soviets quite so hard (apart, of course, from sending troops to try making the Soviet Union a stillbirth), they didn't stand to lose as much face with the international community and their public by not starting a war. Since the rearmament programs were so young, and the two countries weren't really ready to fight the Reich, they left the USSR alone.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The British (RAF) would have been but a minor factor in dealing with Hitler had he French gotten their poo poo together, politically.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gnoman posted:

Since they hadn't been pushing the Soviets quite so hard (apart, of course, from sending troops to try making the Soviet Union a stillbirth), they didn't stand to lose as much face with the international community and their public by not starting a war. Since the rearmament programs were so young, and the two countries weren't really ready to fight the Reich, they left the USSR alone.

The defeat of the Allies in 1940 was not due to material weakness.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 4th October 1918 posted:

At 3 p.m. orders were received to be prepared to relieve the 10th R.Fus. in the front line on the right of the Brigade Front. The relief was completed by 11.30 p.m. the Battalion being disposed as under -
B Company Right Front
A Company Right Support
D Company Left Front
C Company Left Support
Battalion H.Qrs were located at R.23.c.7.7.
The Battalion front ran along the West bank of the CANAL DE L'ESCAUT from S.25.d.7.3 to R.20.a.6.6., i.e. from the southeast corner of BANTEUX to about 1500 yards north of that point. Company fronts were approximately half that distance.
The night 4/5th Oct. was comparitively quiet - the enemy's greatest activity being in M.G. fire on all the Battalion front. The right company from was subjected to spasmodic shelling with 77 mm H.E. which was without effect. Patrolling on the West bank was carried out continuously but any attempt at crossing was met with rifle and M.G. fire which appeared to come from the vicinity of the river DE L'ESCAUT. A party of R.E. made an attempt to repair the bridge at M.20.c.2.4. but they were unable to do so owing to enemy rifle fire.

13th KRRC War Diary, 5th October 1918 posted:

The morning was clear and sunny. No enemy movement was observed and patrols were pushed forward from the outpost line. Similar movements took place on the front of the Battalion on our right and when it was seen that the enemy had evidently withdrawn from the east bank of the canal the patrols pushed over and established themselves on that bank. By 11 a.m. both front line Companies were on the move and had pushed parties across in support of the patrols.
The support Companies (A & C) moved forward to conform with the movements of the front line.

The advance continued in a direction just North of east, the objective being the high ground in M.24. - just west of the BEAUREVOIR - MASNIERES LINE. No check was experienced for a considerable time until the leading Companies at about 3 p.m. had advanced over 3000 yards and were approaching FOX COPSE when M.G. fire was opened on them from that point. For a short time both the Battalion and the 13th Rifle Brigade on the left were held up, but when the enemy position was outflanked they withdrew without any attempt at serious resistance. By this time our right flank was out of touch with the leading troops of the 21st Division on the right. On the left touch with the 13th Rifle Brigade was maintained throughout the advance. After this temporary check had been dealt with the Battalion pushed on and by 4-15 p.m. had reached the ridge north of BONNE ENFANCE FARM. When the leading lines gained the ridge they came under very heavy fire from rifles, M.Gs and Field Gus and it became apparent that the BEAUREVOIR LINE was strongly held. Successive attempts to push forward were defeated and the line of the crest was rendered untenable.

Accordingly at 5 p.m. the front line Companies withdrew to the line of the road running south from BEL AISE FARM in M.24. on the reverse slope from the BEAUREVOIR Line and dug in. The 13th Rifle Brigade on the left had by this time been held up about 400 yards west of the BEAUREVOIR LINE. On the right the situation was obscure. Touch had been lost before reaching FOX COPSE and no further advance of the Division on the Right was seen with the exception of a cyclist patrol of the North Irish Horse (21st Division) who pushed forward to the east of BONNE ENFANCE FARM and were driven back. They were not in touch with any other troops of their Division.

By 7 p.m. the situation was as follows - the repeated attempts of B & D Companies to obtain a footing on the ridge had failed. On each occasion on gaining the crest line they were met with heavy and well directed fire. B & D Companies were entrenched in shallow rifle pits on the road running through M.24.a. and M.23.d. from M.18.c.25.00. to M.23.d.90.00. B Company with a post pushed forward east of BONNE ENFANCE FARM. A & C Companies remained in support on the right and left respectively. A Coy. in M.23-d. and 29.b and C Coy. in M.23.b.

At 7.30 p.m. one platoon of C.Coy was used to fill the gap between the Rif.Bde and the left of D.Coy. and when touch was not obtained with the front line of the 21st Division on the right a platoon of A.Company was formed into a defensive flank on the right of B Company.

In these positions the Battalion consolidated. Patrols went forward at intervals but in no case could they go much beyond the crest line without drawing heavy fire. The enemy were very alert throughout the night.

By 11.35 p.m. a platoon of the 1st East Yorks (21st Division) had come forward and established posts at BONNE ENFANCE FARM and were in touch with B Company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

steinrokkan posted:

The defeat of the Allies in 1940 was not due to material weakness.

You are correct. It was largely due to leadership issues and the Germans pulling off something that was batshit insane to even attempt.

Not only are there more ways to be unready for war than the simply material ones, I was referring to the perceptions that lead to the decisions of the leaders of the time, and not the objective reality.