Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Patattack posted:

Well I hate to inform you that Cleese has gone on some rants about people these days being too easily offended, which for a lot of people (esp. older white comedians) is a dogwhistle for "I want to be able to make jokes that punch down, without being called out for it". Unless I misinterpreted, and you already thought Cleese was a dickhead?

I think Michael Palin is squeaky-clean though.

Here's more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJheODYpuEI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

Nah, the opposite. I used to love Monty Python, but then Cleese -- and apparently Gilliam -- turned out to be a chud.

I hate when I can't love the things I love because the creators are assholes. I loved The Fifth Element, until I found out I couldn't anymore.

I think we generally need to separate the art from the artist or we end up not enjoying anything - most people are garbage in one way or another. Ideally, the personality of someone doesn't change a work they've created if it means a lot to you. Except for Woody Allen, he sucks.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

bell jar posted:

I think we generally need to separate the art from the artist or we end up not enjoying anything - most people are garbage in one way or another. Ideally, the personality of someone doesn't change a work they've created if it means a lot to you. Except for Woody Allen, he sucks.

I certainly agree, though an important caveat is that you can only separate art from artist as long as the art in of itself doesn't reflect what makes the artist problematic.

Like, for example, Woody Allen's Whatever Works features a 20-something year old woman falling in love with a 60-something year old man. Viewed through a lens critical of Allen, it becomes a fantasy of a perverted old man who wants women much younger than himself to find him attractive. To such an extent where it's impossible to separate the movie from the artist.

Meanwhile you can enjoy John Cleese's work as an artist because his art isn't about glorifying an age where Britannia was ruled by old white men.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I got that movie because i'd read a great article about it and i wasn't disappointed,starts off a bit silly but ends on a really weird note and i'm convinced it would be a great remake movie.

"I can see EVERYTHING!"

Apparently the ending is actually truncated according to an article I read in a book about old movies. In the full version of the ending, after he rips his own eyes out, he had one last line: "I can still see!"

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

umalt posted:

Like, for example, Woody Allen's Whatever Works features a 20-something year old woman falling in love with a 60-something year old man. Viewed through a lens critical of Allen, it becomes a fantasy of a perverted old man who wants women much younger than himself to find him attractive.

Or, for another example, chosen completely at random, in Woody Allen's Husbands and Wives, Juliette Lewis's college student character falls for and makes out with her much older professor. Who just so happens to be played by Woody Allen.

Call me crazy, but I'm starting to see a pattern here...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

Apparently the ending is actually truncated according to an article I read in a book about old movies. In the full version of the ending, after he rips his own eyes out, he had one last line: "I can still see!"

Nah. Stephen King, in his book Danse Macabre, claims there were rumors that the ending originally went further with Milland crying out "I can still see" after removing his eyes.[5] Corman has denied the existence of that ending but expressed enjoyment of the idea saying "Now it’s interesting, Stephen King saw the picture and wrote a different ending, and I thought, 'His ending is better than mine.'"[3]

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
King also copped being out-endinged himself by expressing admiration for Frank Darabont’s The Mist

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Screaming Idiot posted:

Nah, the opposite. I used to love Monty Python, but then Cleese -- and apparently Gilliam -- turned out to be a chud.

I hate when I can't love the things I love because the creators are assholes. I loved The Fifth Element, until I found out I couldn't anymore.

The fifth element is a bad movie so they did you a favor by doing whatever thing you’re talking about that makes you not watch it.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

oldpainless posted:

The fifth element is a bad movie so they did you a favor by doing whatever thing you’re talking about that makes you not watch it.

more like old...bad...opinion haver? gently caress it. Fifth Element is great and you're wrong.

AZIZ! LIGHT!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

No I’m right and you’re wrong.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
More like oldbrainless

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

oldpainless posted:

Fifth Element is glorious.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

oldpainless posted:

Could you do me a favour and come into gip to share your bad opinion

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Or, for another example, chosen completely at random, in Woody Allen's Husbands and Wives, Juliette Lewis's college student character falls for and makes out with her much older professor. Who just so happens to be played by Woody Allen.

Call me crazy, but I'm starting to see a pattern here...

Ok. Now tell me which Roman Polanski movies involve a 14 year old girl being drugged and sodomized.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

rydiafan posted:

Ok. Now tell me which Roman Polanski movies involve a 14 year old girl being drugged and sodomized.

I mean she's not 14 but the main character in Rosemary's Baby is drugged and then raped by the devil

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Schneider Inside Her posted:

King also copped being out-endinged himself by expressing admiration for Frank Darabont’s The Mist

Was there a different ending originally? I could have sworn I saw a less...dramatic ending when the film first came out. Then I bought the movie and let my kid, who was starting to watch King movies, watch it and holy poo poo I felt awful for her. That ending is rough for a grown-rear end man, much less a 13 year old.

It's a great ending. But holy poo poo.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Was there a different ending originally? I could have sworn I saw a less...dramatic ending when the film first came out. Then I bought the movie and let my kid, who was starting to watch King movies, watch it and holy poo poo I felt awful for her. That ending is rough for a grown-rear end man, much less a 13 year old.

It's a great ending. But holy poo poo.

The book ending has just a tiny bit of hope as they drive off and hear other survivors on the radio. The movie ending is just a megaton kick in the nuts.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

I can still respect Cleese telling the UK to gently caress off and he's quitting the country to go live on an island until he dies.

I thought he was just kidding and it was crucifixion really?

E: Subtle movie moment in Life of Brian - the crucifixes in the final scene were made to measure for the cast's comfort, but almost everyone looks uncomfortable anyway. This has nothing to do with the rigours of even a fake crucifixion, and everything to do with Cleese mixing up everyone's cross except his own between filming days.

Jedit has a new favorite as of 13:09 on Oct 5, 2018

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

umalt posted:

I certainly agree, though an important caveat is that you can only separate art from artist as long as the art in of itself doesn't reflect what makes the artist problematic.

Exactly.

Be an rear end in a top hat in private, have bad opinions about jews/lizard people/left-winger/right-wingers/trans rights and so on, that's private and thoughtcrime is thankfully not a thing, as long as you actually do any reprehensible criminal acts. I'll think you're an idiot and disagree with you, but that's fine as long as we can keep it on a civilized level.

If you don't push that stuff through in your art, and stick to other subjects, sure fine I don't care. The thing is that the most reprehensible people tend to let their nasty poo poo bleed into their art, because it's just such a big part of them.

E: I listen to a number of Russian metal bands, and I'm fairly certain we would probably disagree wildly on a number of subjects, especially politics. But their lyrics are all generic death and destruction and cosmic horrors, so no problem for me personally. It's not like they're up for public office or anything like that.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 13:54 on Oct 5, 2018

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

KozmoNaut posted:

have bad opinions about jews/trans rights and so on, I'll think you're an idiot and disagree with you, but that's fine as long as we can keep it on a civilized level.

If you don't push that stuff through in your art, and stick to other subjects, sure fine I don't care.

:pwn:

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Hey, man. The hand is no different than what it creates, and all that.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

BioEnchanted posted:

Ok you've convinced me i am definitely watching this movie again. :)

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

oldpainless posted:

Fifth element has mila jovovitch titties and also Lee evans.

Fifth element is classic.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bruce Willis is apparently an apocalyptic rear end in a top hat and horrible to work with, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying The Fifth Element and watching Die Hard every Christmas.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

KozmoNaut posted:

Bruce Willis is apparently an apocalyptic rear end in a top hat and horrible to work with, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying The Fifth Element and watching Die Hard every Christmas.

How have the thought police not gotten you yet?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When did Bruce Willis stop trying. Used to love that guy but now he's like Ben Kingsley where 99% of his movies stink.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

When did Bruce Willis stop trying. Used to love that guy but now he's like Ben Kingsley where 99% of his movies stink.

In 2012, he had two very strong performances with Moonrise Kingdom and Looper. After that nothing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Hudson Hawk really changed Bruce Willis and no mistake.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
There's a great burn in the Bruce Willis episode of Between Two Ferns: "Did you know that some actors turn down roles?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Exactly.

Be an rear end in a top hat in private, have bad opinions about jews/lizard people/left-winger/right-wingers/trans rights and so on, that's private and thoughtcrime is thankfully not a thing, as long as you actually do any reprehensible criminal acts. I'll think you're an idiot and disagree with you, but that's fine as long as we can keep it on a civilized level.

If you don't push that stuff through in your art, and stick to other subjects, sure fine I don't care. The thing is that the most reprehensible people tend to let their nasty poo poo bleed into their art, because it's just such a big part of them.
Terry Gilliam in particular makes it abundantly clear in his movies that what really grinds his gears includes mainly authoritarianism, bureaucracy and, especially lately, capitalist exploitation of art. I'm not gonna give up on movies that express that anytime soon.

John Cleese, as far as I can tell, rides the kids movies voice acting train and as such there can only be speculation on what kind of jokes he would theoretically make.

In general I feel that character traits that enable artists to make outstanding art include a willingness to go against the grain, the ability to take an outside point of view, and the tenacity to push it through against resistance. These are also character traits that make it more likely for you to hold views that don't align with a randomly selected other person. As some writer said: if you can't handle an artist saying things that aren't what everyone says, don't ask them; if you're an artist, you're better off expressing yourself through your art than through interviews.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

minato posted:

There's a great burn in the Bruce Willis episode of Between Two Ferns: "Did you know that some actors turn down roles?"

The quote from Jeremy Irons regarding the Dungeons and Dragons movie comes to mind: "I'd just bought a castle, I had to pay for it somehow."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

citybeatnik posted:

The quote from Jeremy Irons regarding the Dungeons and Dragons movie comes to mind: "I'd just bought a castle, I had to pay for it somehow."

My favourite is Michael Caine's quote about Jaws the Revenge

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
From Ben Kingsley (about Species, I think): "You take the job, and the money. You don't worry about anything else."

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Was it Jeremy Irons who appeared in Bloodrayne purely because he loved the costume?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
No, that was Ben Kingsley, too. Apparently, he always wanted to play a vampire.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Like Nic Cage doing Sorcerer's Apprentice because he always wanted to play a wizard (and his ridiculous outstanding debts).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
None of those guys missed their one and only Oscar win like Michael Caine because he was filming Jaws 4. Maybe he doesn't care, but that's still got to smart.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The biggest failure of the MCU is that Nic Cage isn't Doctor Strange.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The second biggest is Benedict's American accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bony tony posted:

The second biggest is Benedict's American accent.

Although if it was Nic Cage he'd somehow do a worse one.