Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
How's 1.05 looking? If I'm still 1.03 should I patch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Poil posted:

Man they're really rolling out the patches. So much better than what usually happens. :toot:

:saddowns: :roflolmao: :saddowns:

In my heart, Hideous Laughter's verbal component will always be:

"Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!"

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
I want to be able to respec characters without having to fiddle with manual save editing. gently caress half your companions having an exotic weapon proficiency, garbage stats, weird subclasses, etc. My PC has some useless feats as well because I wasn't clear on some things and I only realized how useless they were much later.

Despite all the flaws and bugs I keep playing it, because I am an idiot. I just can't recommend it to anyone else.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

caedwalla posted:

I want to be able to respec characters without having to fiddle with manual save editing. gently caress half your companions having an exotic weapon proficiency, garbage stats, weird subclasses, etc. My PC has some useless feats as well because I wasn't clear on some things and I only realized how useless they were much later.

Despite all the flaws and bugs I keep playing it, because I am an idiot. I just can't recommend it to anyone else.

I'm in the same boat. I used cheat engine to give myself 12k gold to purchase custom mercs as my starting party and the game is 100 times better and more fun.

My main is a heroic paladin + his four footsoldiers. 2 use longspears with precise strike, weapon focus and are the two handed variant. The other two are tower shield guys.

It's an absolute blast.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think you can change companions stats with the savegame editor but I haven't tried it so it could be impossible. It would be kinda amusing to change Valerie to lawful good and give her a level of paladin under her favorite godess though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Mordecai posted:

Can you not handle those events if you're out adventuring? I noticed the kingdom button disappeared when I strayed from my capital, but I haven't built any more settlements yet.

You can handle events if you're adventuring inside a territory you've claimed. Visitors will only speak with you but I haven't seen a time-limited visitor yet so that's less of a problem.

Mordecai posted:

It'd be nice if the regent did some regency.

I picked Octavia as my regent, and she's also in my party, which seems like something that shouldn't be allowed but in the finest old school tradition of "hoping the DM doesn't notice an oversight that works in your favour" I am absolutely not going to complain about that.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm in the same boat. I used cheat engine to give myself 12k gold to purchase custom mercs as my starting party and the game is 100 times better and more fun.

My main is a heroic paladin + his four footsoldiers. 2 use longspears with precise strike, weapon focus and are the two handed variant. The other two are tower shield guys.

It's an absolute blast.

On this topic, has there ever been a crpg where the deault companion builds were actually pretty good?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gorelab posted:

I'm more curious why this is a fight rather than a book event because it's taking a seriously long time her to die.

I actually won it! It was pretty underwhelming but I had to drink a load of potions and use a fancy weapon.
I did wonder why he was so hard to hit.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Keeshhound posted:

On this topic, has there ever been a crpg where the deault companion builds were actually pretty good?

No. I think the reason for whacky companion builds is to prevent them from taking up a role that could be filled by the player. It WOULD stink to make and play a paladin that's lovely next to the companion version.

What I never understood was why games don't allow you to just pick the initial class for companions.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Keeshhound posted:

Most of BG2's folks were fine, weren't they? I recall they actually maxed the main stat important to their class and that's really all I can ask.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zodiac5000 posted:

Most of BG2's folks were fine, weren't they? I recall they actually maxed the main stat important to their class and that's really all I can ask.
Cernd's subclass was kind of broken and a decent pile really hurt for some stat adjusting items (Viconia with strength, Keldorn with dex, Jaheira... was Jaheira, etc.). But BG2 generally had less character building than anything derived from 3e.

McCheese
May 1, 2011

Zodiac5000 posted:

Some of them were actually way better than a player character could be with higher than legal stats and special unique powers.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

McCheese posted:

Some of them were actually way better than a player character could be with higher than legal stats and special unique powers.

RIP Edwina.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Glenn Quebec posted:

What I never understood was why games don't allow you to just pick the initial class for companions.

*Uses shadowkeeper to morph Imoen into Assassin*

:getin:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Chomp8645 posted:

*Uses shadowkeeper to morph Imoen into Assassin*

:getin:

Yes my dude that's what's up. I highly recommend cheat engine for this game to make a custom party or to edit your companions to something useful

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
what do you mean, you dont like your barbarians with 13 dex?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I heard you get a treat if you kill the Stag Lord within one month of starting. I am in a position to do that but if I kill him, are new timers of any sort started? I'd like to goof around clearing the side regions I've found and exploring, but I do not know if I have a period of relaxation and luxury to goof around after taking down the Stag Lord. So I'm trying to weigh the benefit of the prize for a quick kill versus mopping up the map first.

edit for additional question: is this bonus for a quick kill awarded for killing him in thirty days or turning in the quest within thirty because I am probably just barely unable to do the latter, which would moot the whole issue

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 5, 2018

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

SuperKlaus posted:

I heard you get a treat if you kill the Stag Lord within one month of starting. I am in a position to do that but if I kill him, are new timers of any sort started? I'd like to goof around clearing the side regions I've found and exploring, but I do not know if I have a period of relaxation and luxury to goof around after taking down the Stag Lord. So I'm trying to weigh the benefit of the prize for a quick kill versus mopping up the map first.

It's really meh. Just a nice side treat. Getting familiar with your fiefdom without looming threats is much better imo. I for sure was overwhelmed at the start of 2nd chapter.

e: turning in the quest at Oleg's

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SuperKlaus posted:

edit for additional question: is this bonus for a quick kill awarded for killing him in thirty days or turning in the quest within thirty because I am probably just barely unable to do the latter, which would moot the whole issue

I think it's better to explore and do as much as possible for turning in that quest, there are some areas you might have to come back to later though. Just be wary on the kingdom management that if your main character is directly involved in a project, hitting start skips the time forward to the completion and can't be interrupted.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Poil posted:

I think you can change companions stats with the savegame editor but I haven't tried it so it could be impossible. It would be kinda amusing to change Valerie to lawful good and give her a level of paladin under her favorite goddess though.

Is it an actual program or just editing the jsons? You can do it via the party.json it's just a huge pain in the rear end. I swapped my PC's strength and dexterity after deciding to hit things with a glaive instead of just throwing bombs as an alchemist but editing Valerie's was even more annoying.

Keeshhound posted:

I don't recall having any serious issues with PoE 1's companions though I haven't played 2.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

caedwalla posted:

Is it an actual program or just editing the jsons? You can do it via the party.json it's just a huge pain in the rear end. I swapped my PC's strength and dexterity after deciding to hit things with a glaive instead of just throwing bombs as an alchemist but editing Valerie's was even more annoying.

I don't recall having any serious issues with PoE 1's companions though I haven't played 2.

Just use cheat engine and a table someone made. It's super simple.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The Gaider quote earlier made me think of DA2 and I suddenly realised that this game shows how to do asset re-use well. There are a lot of minor encounters where all you care about is fighting one monster or w/e that reuse map elements but (a) the individual elements are always mixed up; and (b) they are always small so you don’t care.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

caedwalla posted:

They have been rebalanced at least once, their original stats were designed with perception giving accuracy in mind which was not the case at the game's release (though is again now). Their stats still aren't optimal but Pillars was also designed for bad stats not to be all that punishing overall.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Beefeater1980 posted:

The Gaider quote earlier made me think of DA2 and I suddenly realised that this game shows how to do asset re-use well. There are a lot of minor encounters where all you care about is fighting one monster or w/e that reuse map elements but (a) the individual elements are always mixed up; and (b) they are always small so you don’t care.

Gaider's complaints stink coming from him.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I can't imagine any proper response to Gaider complaining about dialogue other than "how ironic".

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i’m really curious what you get for the 30 day staglord victory, if someone’s willing to toss up some spoiler tags.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

I can't imagine any proper response to Gaider complaining about dialogue other than "how ironic".

I don’t know - I suspect what he’s referring to is the fact that you can talk to Valerie on p much day 1 and after she has made it abundantly clear how much she loathes being judged on her beauty, to the extent that hating that is the single defining aspect of her character, you can still say sth like “but your beauty must have moved people, bet you had a lot of suitors?”

Which, if you said it in real life, would be an astonishingly insensitive and creepy thing to say, but in the game it’s just conversation path #8.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

Trebuchet King posted:

i’m really curious what you get for the 30 day staglord victory, if someone’s willing to toss up some spoiler tags.

+2 Dueling Sword that sells for ~2000

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Beefeater1980 posted:

I don’t know - I suspect what he’s referring to is the fact that you can talk to Valerie on p much day 1 and after she has made it abundantly clear how much she loathes being judged on her beauty, to the extent that hating that is the single defining aspect of her character, you can still say sth like “but your beauty must have moved people, bet you had a lot of suitors?”

Which, if you said it in real life, would be an astonishingly insensitive and creepy thing to say, but in the game it’s just conversation path #8.

Does not saying it lock you out of conversation that will advance your relationship with that character? If so, this stinks. If not, don't be insensitive.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
lmao the gently caress is this rest system, who the gently caress thought this was a good idea?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Does not saying it lock you out of conversation that will advance your relationship with that character? If so, this stinks. If not, don't be insensitive.

I dunno, I had an *ugh* reaction and haven’t tried it. It’s entirely possible saying it tanks the relationship in which case it’s fine, I agree.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Gaider's complaints stink coming from him.

I mean, he whined about Vancian magic in a loving D&D game, as if shocked by its presence. A system that has been present, in one form or another, in basically every single goddamn edition except 4th.

Perhaps complaining about there not being adequate signage to remind someone to do this would be valid, but complaining that it's even a thing? Really?

ugusername posted:

+2 Dueling Sword that sells for ~2000

To be entirely fair, that'd be a really nice reward if you're playing that specific fighter archetype. In all other cases though, meh.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Beefeater1980 posted:

Oh yeah. This was a whole lot of cringe. To be honest, I found her character kind of insufferable for the most part except for this. In an age where it's becoming abundantly clear that women aren't allowed to have control over their bodies and looks, this was some really lovely PC dialogue options and was clearly written by some out-of-touch white dude (par for the course with throwback Baldur's Gate writing).

It is ironic that complaint is coming from Gaider since his writing has always been awful or, at best, uninspired knock-offs but it doesn't make it any less legit.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jimbot posted:

Oh yeah. This was a whole lot of cringe. To be honest, I found her character kind of insufferable for the most part except for this. In an age where it's becoming abundantly clear that women aren't allowed to have control over their bodies and looks, this was some really lovely PC dialogue options and was clearly written by some out-of-touch white dude (par for the course with throwback Baldur's Gate writing).

Do you think that the PC should only be able to say things that are morally virtuous?

This is a game where you can directly declare your character is evil lol.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Beefeater1980 posted:

I dunno, I had an *ugh* reaction and haven’t tried it. It’s entirely possible saying it tanks the relationship in which case it’s fine, I agree.

I wasn't paying attention and clicked it out of an old habit of exhausting dialogue trees. She blows up on you and you have the option of apologizing (Which still leads to a similarly uncomfortable "she smiles, and you find yourself smiling too, because she's so pretty" moment :barf:) or you can double down.

Really, she's just a goddamned landmine of a character in every respect.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Madcosby posted:

what do you mean, you dont like your barbarians with 13 dex?
I don't like it when any companion has an uneven stat. :argh:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

Need mod to call her handsome instead

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

caedwalla posted:

There's a simple editor out there for editing money,exp, and stats. I used it to change my sorcerer's stats when I decided to opt for an abyssal strength polymorph after the tutorial. Have to know the economy or use the ingame char creation if you want your stats legal of course, it's not smart enough to calculate that I think.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

Need mod to call her handsome instead

Granny Weatherwax confirmed as Valerie’s final form.

That said there are bits of dialogue I love. Just hit up a barbarian camp and read the following: “While you were learning to fight, I learned the legends. While you were training with the sword, I trained with the tambourine.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Do you think that the PC should only be able to say things that are morally virtuous?

This is a game where you can directly declare your character is evil lol.

No, but there is a distinct lack of options in that regard. If you're going to bring up stuff like this then you better drat well make sure your response options have a wide variety of choices. The only option available to you is the "I'm ignorant of this subject". It's just a badly design dialogue tree for that topic.