Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Assault rifles are extremely good. Charge rifles are better if you can afford them but now that they require advanced components they're kind of a pain to make. Assault rifles are still expensive component wise but are available for mass crafting a lot earlier compared to charge rifles, and they're almost as good DPS wise. As far as "how many is enough", that depends on your defenses and difficulty but having 5 or 6 shooters at 10+ skill is I think where I really start to feel comfortable. In my current game I have 9 pawns ranging from 10-15 skill who are just absolutely a wall of death with I think 7 assault rifles, one charge lance and a sniper rifle. I'm still using advanced helmets but other than that I have full devilstrand and flak vests which I agree is the initial goal for significantly reducing fatalities and serious injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I prefer sniper rifles for ship drops. Sniper rifles outrange all mechs and so can plink away reasonably safely as long as you can micro them to run away whenever the mechs get annoyed enough to chase after you for a little while. They usually snap back to patrolling near their ship pretty quickly.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Snipers are also good for sieges if you don't have your own mortars. And presumably hunting now that range to target affects manhunter proc chance, but I haven't really tested that.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Assault rifles are my go-to vanilla "this is my rifle" weapon. Reasonably easy to produce, covers all of the non-sniper rifle engagement ranges, and hard for you colonists to really gently caress up using it. When it comes down to mods, I generally upgrade to whatever fills that same role in the mod packs I am using. Everything else I think long and hard about before handing it out, since short and long range weapons pigeon hole your pawns into certain niches. Mods like Run and Gun and Simple Sidearms make the niches even more interesting if you're enforcing sane loadouts on yourself. As it stands, with this philosophy (and mods), I'm not even using charge rifles since the range/damage/RoF tradeoff just doesn't suit my playstyle. The main reason for me to get charge rifles is dealing with armored targets, but Sparkling Worlds adds "gauss rifles" which do lower damage but have ridiculous AP with more reasonable range and accuracy. I'll take the damage hit if more of said damage is actually getting through.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
ARs make even more sense now that you can use them as melee weapons too. they’re not fantastic at it but it still doubles the damage versus a fist!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Are plasteel turrets modded or vanilla game? I haven't figured out how to make one ever, but I keep seeing them pop up in posts and random Outpost drops.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
they’re vanilla

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Right click the turret button in the architect menu; it should bring up a menu for what you want to build it out of, same with furniture and the simpler work benches.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out I could do that, but it makes the mini-turrets actually useful and durable if you make them out of plasteel. The larger turrets are still just a liability.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Has hospitality been wonky for anyone else lately? I downloaded a bunch of mods and started a new game a few weeks ago, played a bit without and left it alone for a few weeks. I fired it up tonight and suddenly I'm getting visitors every other day or so. They keep backing up, I think I've got 3 right now, but one is technically a trade caravan. Also one visitor, an alcoholic, refused to eat or drink, despite having both in her inventory, until she had a breakdown, then passed out of extreme malnutrition trying to leave. She's from a gentle tribe currently at +25 neutral so I figured I'd just capture her. Doing so made every faction in the game -100 hostile immediately.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That's not a bug, you imprisoned her, which is an act of war. You need to rescue friendly downed pawns, not capture them.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Maybe I've never actually imprisoned someone from a friendly faction before. Weird, I thought I had. I just assumed I'd take a moderate relations hit and that would be it. I didn't realize capturing this idiot too stupid to eat out of her inventory and on the brink of death was the equivalent of launching nukes in Civilization. :v:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

OwlFancier posted:

I can't believe there's so many people who come across a thing in this game with an odd name and think "eh it's probably useless"

Like, who doesn't read the description on all the stuff they find?

"Vanometric power cell? I don't own a van, maybe I can burn it for fuel??"

The name makes so little sense as to what it actually is that I just assumed it was for killing vegetation. Like, I see 'Chair' and I think 'A thing to sit on'.

Seriously, the name makes no sense.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

It looks like guests aren’t pulling from their inventory and have some wonkiness with restricting location. They need to be able to eat your food, as I had the same issue the other day. If you set them to unrestricted suddenly they start taking care of their needs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean "warhead made out of a grain of antimatter" makes more sense than calling a defoliant "antigrain".

Like what use would such a thing even be ingame? Why would it be so expensive?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

It's the quick way of dealing with blight.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

OwlFancier posted:

I mean "warhead made out of a grain of antimatter" makes more sense than calling a defoliant "antigrain".

Every organic has eaten or grown on decomposed grain, meaning every living being is at least part-grain.

Consider the implications then :kheldragar:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean technically an antimatter warhead is also a defoliant.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I didn't know what it was either. It's a terrible name in a game where farming is a big chunk of what you do.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
So do people not know that you can click the little "I" in the upper right hand corner of an item's info box to get a more in-depth description? I agree the name's not great, but it's not THAT hard to get clarification once you have one.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Side note, is there a mod for 19 that expands the types of caravans that can arrive?

I'm doing a tribal planet run and disabled trade ships, but it turns out that Bulk Goods, War, Shaman, and Farming tribal caravans don't buy thrumbo horns, so I got like 18 of them hanging around. I guess I can give them to my brawlers in the mean time

I seem to remember a mod that added something called a Remedial Trader, but I forget which.

My poor computer was huffing and puffing a bit when the 100+ tribal raid showed up and they all filed into the defensive maze designed to get them to show 1 at a time to my line of colonists. All of them trying to cram in to the corridors would create some really odd looking ripple or wave effects as the game would realize it couldn't have two occupying the same tile at once.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

HelloSailorSign posted:

It's the quick way of dealing with blight.

This is still accurate.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

OwlFancier posted:

It sounded like the sort of weapon the raiders would use against you. Special crop-destroying mortars is entirely plausible in a game where suicidal raiders will lose half their band just to set your fields on fire

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I thought it was a firebomb as well. Also I have to start over on the modpack because before I could finish my test save there was a game ending crash that corrupted my saves and I can't figure out how to fix it, and I have other things destroying me right now.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
I usually stick with producing bolt action rifles until I can reliably make lots of late game gear.

Massed mosin-nagants have a certain quality of their own.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

It sounded like the sort of weapon the raiders would use against you. Special crop-destroying mortars is entirely plausible in a game where suicidal raiders will lose half their band just to set your fields on fire

Possibly but that would be out of context for the game because the game doesn't include things that are only useful for raiders. Everything in the game is, in some way, useful for your colony if you can get a hold of it. Even tainted clothing functions as clothing in an emergency, you're just not supposed to rely on it in order to make the production of clothing useful, and it's normally destroyed as part of corpse disposal.

If anything, defoliant shells would probably be an interesting idea for raiders if not for that particular problem of them being utterly useless for your colony when captured.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 6, 2018

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Possibly but that would be out of context for the game because the game doesn't include things that are only useful for raiders. Everything in the game is, in some way, useful for your colony if you can get a hold of it. Even tainted clothing functions as clothing in an emergency, you're just not supposed to rely on it in order to make the production of clothing useful, and it's normally destroyed as part of corpse disposal.

If anything, defoliant shells would probably be an interesting idea for raiders if not for that particular problem of them being utterly useless for your colony when captured.

If you have to spend this many words defending the name from detractors, it's a bad name. User Interface 101.

*Not applicable to Kickstarter or Steam Early Access Products.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Long term sieges with weapons like that would be interesting, although playing it out in my head you'd be constantly forced into normal speed every few hours. Certainly more interesting than the pacman meta.

Caravan embargoes, sieges, rescue attempts, saboteur/defecting pawns, factions running resource/tech rackets would all be really interesting too.

Warmachine posted:

If you have to spend this many words defending the name from detractors, it's a bad name. User Interface 101.

Detractor sounds like another agricultural weapon. :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Warmachine posted:

It's just really, really weird that people don't look at what things do and make really weird assumptions that nothing else in the game would really lead you to do. Like I don't get it from a design standpoint.

Rimworld is, I think, really quite well designed, it has a lot of consistent themes such as: everything it gives you has a use, everything has a description that tells you how it works, everything is priced commensurately to its utility and rarity.

I didn't know what it was when I saw it, which was why I clicked the button that tells you what it is. And it's really really strange to me that people play the game and come to the really strange conclusion that a: I'm not interested in this weird rare item, b: it's obviously useless, and c: I'm not curious why it's worth a lot of money for a useless thing.

I'm not mad about it as much as it's just incredibly strange to me to imagine people doing that in this game, because I can't fathom how you could get very far in the game if you did it regularly. That loop of click [i] > look at item stats/description > assess value and utility is pretty core to the rest of the game.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

It's just really, really weird that people don't look at what things do and make really weird assumptions that nothing else in the game would really lead you to do. Like I don't get it from a design standpoint.

Rimworld is, I think, really quite well designed, it has a lot of consistent themes such as: everything it gives you has a use, everything has a description that tells you how it works, everything is priced commensurately to its utility and rarity.

I didn't know what it was when I saw it, which was why I clicked the button that tells you what it is. And it's really really strange to me that people play the game and come to the really strange conclusion that a: I'm not interested in this weird rare item, b: it's obviously useless, and c: I'm not curious why it's worth a lot of money for a useless thing.

I'm not mad about it as much as it's just incredibly strange to me to imagine people doing that in this game, because I can't fathom how you could get very far in the game if you did it regularly. That loop of click [i] > look at item stats/description > assess value and utility is pretty core to the rest of the game.

I think you have to consider the tonne of less polished but pretty enthusiastically made clutter most rimworld games are really filled with too, next to nobody plays the game vanilla so there's less furious wiki research like there was maybe a year or so back and its all just katamari balled in. You only check when there's a problem, because there's rarely a lull in activity. For example a few pages back I mentioned a pawn with a piece of modded clothing that would keep the wearer so protected from heat that they got hypothermia in room temperature because of the ridiculous fine print stats. Once it gets busy, the game has far too many moving parts to really expect scrutiny over everything, most things are taken at face value. That's also why I'm so happy that what I thought were placeholder graphics stuck as a minimalist style; if you had all fully animated pawns it would be migraine inducing flurry.

And that is my essay on why I'm not dumb for thinking antigrain warheads were designed by a race of radical gluten free spacefaring warmongers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe I'm weird because I also look at all the weird modded poo poo :v:

Hell if anything you have to because they're even worse about making things intuitive.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
As we all know, anti-armor weapons fire tiny antimatter breastplates at their targets, so it would be stupid to think an antigrain weapons contain anything other than an animatter grain.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
The thing about antigrain is the name doesnt make me curious it is some other thing. It would be like if they had something like "pack of bullets" and its actually a container with 5 bullet ants in there.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I mean, that last one might make me stop and check because Rimworld doesn't have ammunition. But yes, antigrain is a stupid name, and Rimworld is really not good at making players who don't already go caravanning and exploring the world map care about the items you can get from quests. It was improved in B19 with the item descriptions baked into the quest letter, but I ignored them for a good two versions because I had no idea how useful the items were and got along perfectly fine without them. They're totally optional, nice things to have, which many a self-sufficient player will overlook because leaving your base is a pain in the rear end, so why bother?

But of course if you have to type that many words criticizing it, it's obviously a perfectly fine name. User Interface 101.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the biggest obstacle for out of base travel was previously that it was a pain, but especially with the addition of foraging? That makes it extremely viable, because it can easily generate a food surplus by doing it. You're exposing the pawn to a bit of risk, sure, but once you realise that there's very little logistical obstacle to caravanning in temperate climates, especailly as tribals, then you should be willing to do it a lot for almost any reward on offer.

If I was going to criticize any aspect of the design it would be that the game doesn't straight up tell you how easy and useful small trips out with a single pawn are. I don't think the problem was ever that the rewards weren't good, it was that you felt it necessary to use multiple pawns and you had to build a big surplus of food to do it. Now one pawn will generate very reasonable encounters and very rarely, and can easily accomplish most quests with some decent equipment.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 7, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I still don't know how to even start a caravan.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
In 2020 I will be running on a fully Pro-Grain ticket, vote for me

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Flesh Forge posted:

In 2020 I will be running on a fully Pro-Grain ticket, vote for me

Well jokes on you because I have artillery shells that are tailor made to destroy your campaign. At least I think that's what they do.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Where are the local mod configuration files stored? I want to continue a game on my lab pc, but the config for all mods themselves isn't saved and moved by steam cloud.

Is it as simple as pasting over the entire appdata ludeon folder onto the new machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
https://ludeon.com/blog/2018/10/rimworld-1-0-will-be-released-october-17/

Real version of 1.0 scheduled for October 17.