Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

anybody thinking there's an ending for cap outside of self-sacrifice is deluding themselves. it's a central theme to his character. he literally jumps on a grenade and goes down with his ship in the first avenger.

I think it was that scene that made me realize that the writers really got captain america. That along with the "I don't wanna kill anyone, I just don't like bullies, I don't care where they're from" line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It can be both.

He knows 2 wizards, a god, a wizard of robots, a basically space god, and better than all of them, Shuri.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Al Borland Corpse posted:

You are assuming the writers are any good

The Infinity War writers did all of the Cap movies too, I think they've demonstrated they have a good handle on the character.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well technically they didn't do Cap 1, but still, yea I think the teams at Marvel are in fact pretty good at writing the one Avenger who hasn't had a bad movie yet

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They can kill Steve Rogers and just have another character take over as Cap. Both Bucky and Falcon have already been Cap before in the comics.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Next cap movie

The Winter Soldier: Captain America

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Al Borland Corpse posted:

You are assuming the writers are any good

How would Zach Snyder write the film

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Ultimate Captain America.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I guess there's still time to squeeze hydra cap in there also

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Civil War would've ended with Cap and Iron Man fighting The Hulk.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

CAP: "Please save my best friend James."
IRON MAN: "WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?!"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fangz posted:

He's have Captain America sacrifice his life to save the world, and then Tony Stark would declare that men are still good

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So, to anyone who saw Venom, are there any wink-wink, nudge-nudge references to Spider-man?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My knock at Peggy's door "we had a date" ending can still work out just fine if they set up the world inside the Soul gem briefly.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

So, to anyone who saw Venom, are there any wink-wink, nudge-nudge references to Spider-man?

Brock mentions a "Daily Globe incident" which ran him out of New York but it's not elaborated on at all

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Just got back and Venom is good?

Like, I am 100% over origin stories, but this was funny, the action was good, effects were nice and once that slow af first half hour ended and things started kicking into gear it was solid! I really hope this does well.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Fangz posted:

Be fair, David Goyer is more responsible for the writing of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman than Snyder.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Wheat Loaf posted:

CAP: "Please save my best friend James."
IRON MAN: "WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?!"

...whooooaaaa. Mind Blown.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

CzarChasm posted:

My eyes may have deceived me, but there is a part where Venom gets electrocuted and for a hot second it turns the white veins across his chest into a spider-like symbol.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

Be fair, David Goyer is more responsible for the writing of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman than Snyder.

He never gets mentioned, nor does Terrio, who co-wrote BvS, when these movies are discussed. It's all Snyder the visionary auteur. What's up with that anyway?

It's like how with the Cap movies and Infinity War, it's all the Russos all the time. But Markus and McFeeley are the ones who actually wrote those stories and nobody ever talks about them.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I really enjoyed Venom. Thought it was a lot of fun.

e: And after the stinger, I want a sequel quite badly.

Stan Lee looked quite healthy in his cameo (unless he was made to stand upright with CG).

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 5, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CzarChasm posted:

I heard one of the surviving astronauts was JJJ's kid but I haven't seen it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I really enjoyed Venom. Thought it was a lot of fun.

e: And after the stinger, I want a sequel quite badly.

Stan Lee looked quite healthy in his cameo (unless he was made to stand upright with CG).

What's the stinger, spoil that poo poo dog

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

zoux posted:

Woody Harrelson as Cletus Kassidy and he says the word Carnage or something to that effect.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I though Venom was alright but am in no rush to see it again. I do wish it had been a bit more of a horror movie with more blood. There are some good parts in it and it can be very funny. Having said that I completely agree with this:

Retro Futurist posted:

I want Venom to succeed just enough to get Woody Carnage, bad wig and all
That's one of the things I was excited for with this one so hopefully it makes it over

zoux posted:

Eddie goes to see Woody Harrelson as Cletus Kassidy in prison and Harrelson says "When I get out of here, and I am going to get out of here, there's going to be carnage"

bessantj fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 5, 2018

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Writers don't get talked about b/c in movies they are secondary and interchangeable in most movie productions. Marvel might be an exception to that, they've got a writing bullpen that regularly coordinates poo poo btw different movie franchises.

The DC movies are notorious for script fuckery. Who knows who wrote what in some of these movies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People always just credit the director for everything in the MCU, though that may change now that Gunn wrote but isn't directing GotG3.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pubic works project posted:

Woody Harrelson as Cletus Kassidy and he says the word Carnage or something to that effect.

Lol weak.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Last thing I saw him on was Cheers so it's gonna be hard to believe him in that role

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Calaveron posted:

Last thing I saw him on was Cheers so it's gonna be hard to believe him in that role

Really? Because he's kind of well-known for a 90's movie where he plays a very similar character.

Meanwhile, Venom made $10 million Thursday night. Not bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

Really? Because he's kind of well-known for a 90's movie where he plays a very similar character.

BSS SHOCKED AS GAVOK REVEALS STRONG VIEWS ON LARRY FLYNT

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Calaveron posted:

You have nearly thirty years of some pretty great cinema and TV to catch up on then, better book some time off

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did we know that Woody was cast already.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I recall hearing about it a while ago.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
We knew he was in the film, it wasn't confirmed he was Cletus although there weren't many other roles he could fill.

Actually he'd make a good Jameson.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m back on the hype train for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWnLiffxJ4

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Writers don't get talked about b/c in movies they are secondary and interchangeable in most movie productions. Marvel might be an exception to that, they've got a writing bullpen that regularly coordinates poo poo btw different movie franchises.

The DC movies are notorious for script fuckery. Who knows who wrote what in some of these movies.
Yeah, the short version is that credited writer is dictated by the WGA, even though there's generally a number of writers adjusting things before, during, and after production, and then editing and other post-production work can fundamentally change a story from the original script.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Catwoman infamously had, what, about 24 writers of whom four or five were credited?

But there's stuff like, apparently most of the dialogue in the movie Speed was Joss Whedon, Tom Stoppard wrote sizeable chunks of Schindler's List, most of Hook and The Sister Act is supposedly Carrie Fisher, and none of their names were in the credits as writers.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 5, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Gavok posted:

Meanwhile, Venom made $10 million Thursday night. Not bad.

I mean I've seen him on stuff but I very recently watched Cheers and so my most recent experience with him is a goofy good natured country bumpkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I always think of Alien 3 when it comes to hosed up writing stories. They were still writing the script when they were filming the movie, and it had something like 4 different scripts going on at the same time.

edit: oh hey here is about 5 mins of Aquaman film stuff

• Locked thread