Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

HIJK posted:

dude, I don’t know or care about studio interference and even if I did I don’t think giving directors free reign on tv or movies will necessarily equal quality.

I just think it’s funny and a little weird that “deliberately making movies look and feel the same while following the same plot beats” is considered creative now. Especially since the points where these movies are the strongest are when they deviate away from that formula.

Dr Strange and Iron Man are identical except for what kind of powers the protags use. That doesn’t make them bad movies, it just makes Iron Man look lamer and Dr Strange really dorky in comparison. Their similarities are not their strengths.

As for the rest of your post jesus my eyes glazed over, I don’t understand half of that rant about BvS. I wasn’t even thinking of BvS when I posted, I was thinking strictly about Marvel movies and how the fact that you’re touting their cookie cutter formula as “creative.”

There is plenty of creativity in Marvel movies, especially recent ones like Thor 3 where they leaned into the comedy and punched up the color palette with bright colors and special effects. But those are also breaks in the Marvel formula, and are explicitely not part of the cookie cutter.

I mean, you realize that you basically admit that my post was too long for you to read, and then proceeded to make a bunch of points that the post you didn't read almost entirely agrees with right? I get that not everyone has the time or energy to participate in some big discussion about comic book stuff, but I am not really sure what the point of insinuating that you can't be bothered to read a post because its too long but have an opinion about it anyway is, especially if you are just going to retype what I wrote. And also you keep insisting I am making some kind of argument that I am not making, unless referring to things as "tired", "a flaw", and "a fault" is a form a praise in 2018.

Mr Hootington posted:

We might get full batman for the final season. Depends on if they have the same character blackout on batman as they do on joker.

It is impossible to know. I saw rumor mongering that alleged Batman might show up in the CW stuff. I would hope a Batman origin series would be allowed to have Batman in it at some point. But then... Smallville did happen so who knows?

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
the comic isn’t as edgy tryhard bullshit as this comes off, is it?

https://twitter.com/daviduzumeri/status/1047911460955938816?s=21

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
They loving astreskd out the a in "balls" loving lol.

Also what's the point of printing "f**k" instead of "gently caress"? it's incredibly obvious what the word is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Zd-jIFioA

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

That's worse. Just have Batman then.

Bruce on Gotham is like 16 years old.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The problem with all this edgy crap coming out lately is that it feels less like these people are actually any good at being edgy and more like they just really suck at being earnest.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think the problem with "edgy" is that there is no mature way to be "edgy" on purpose. It always comes off like repressed teen angst. I always thought the point of edginess was that there were things like censorship rules in place and people had to come up with ways to sneak poo poo in without getting in trouble. So to be edgy was to come as close as possible to being censored without it happening, or to get away with things that probably wouldn't have been allowed if they understood what you were doing. Basically pushing boundaries. Less "oh man we are so edgy" and more "what can we get away with?"

Somehow that has transformed into "swear words, violence, and sex, but to the degree you are allowed to anyway, but maybe with characters you might not expect. Or any characters. Just curse a lot and have boobs and blood."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

Nah, it's way more.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

ToastyPotato posted:

It is impossible to know. I saw rumor mongering that alleged Batman might show up in the CW stuff. I would hope a Batman origin series would be allowed to have Batman in it at some point. But then... Smallville did happen so who knows?
Tom didn't want to be superman.

David wants to be batman.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Barry Convex posted:

The same guy who made that tweet then turns around to call Garth Ennis a genius and a master, unironically I presume, but that poster is basically 100% on-brand for The Boys except for bleeping out all the swears. It's a staggeringly lovely comic.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mr Hootington posted:

Tom didn't want to be superman.

David wants to be batman.

also iirc there was rights issues between the tv show and the superman movies (or movie, really. i think the brandon routh suit is even the one tom wears in the end lol), where the show could use clark etc but could not use the suit or something, which is why it only showed up in the finale?

but that could be old internet rumours tbf

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
What was considered edgy before the 80’s? That feels like when it really started with the prominence of TDK and Watchmen. But maybe that’s just because it was the decade in which I was born so don’t have much reference before that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sticksy posted:

What was considered edgy before the 80’s? That feels like when it really started with the prominence of TDK and Watchmen. But maybe that’s just because it was the decade in which I was born so don’t have much reference before that.

In comic books or just in general? I don't know about "in general" but for comics I suppose it would still have been stuff like the Green Arrow/Green Lantern "Hard-Travelling Heroes" stories.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

sticksy posted:

Italian Mob movies?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

ToastyPotato posted:

I mean, you realize that you basically admit that my post was too long for you to read, and then proceeded to make a bunch of points that the post you didn't read almost entirely agrees with right? I get that not everyone has the time or energy to participate in some big discussion about comic book stuff, but I am not really sure what the point of insinuating that you can't be bothered to read a post because its too long but have an opinion about it anyway is, especially if you are just going to retype what I wrote. And also you keep insisting I am making some kind of argument that I am not making, unless referring to things as "tired", "a flaw", and "a fault" is a form a praise in 2018.

I don’t have an opinion about your takes regarding BvS, my only point of interest has ever been about your original assertion that the Marvel formula is creative by being a formula:

ToastyPotato posted:

As absurdly formulaic as Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, and Black Panther are, I would say they are significantly more creative and generally solid films than BvS or JL.

I don’t believe that Marvel movies are inherently “more creative” just because they’re so similar, and I also don’t believe the DC Snyderverse is creatively bankrupt like people online keep harping on.

If you want to discuss the creativity of DC vs Marvel than I would disagree that formulaic Marvel movies are more creative than the DC movies we have received. I think Marvel has a successful formula but that only means that they’re good at following a recipe, not that they’re inherently better or more interesting. DC movies have a problem with being undisciplined and scattershot, and trying to chase the wrong ideas because that’s what WB is into right now, that’s the main difference.

A formula is a formula is a formula. Establishing the formula is interesting to watch, which is part of what made Iron Man and Daredevil S1 great when they came out. But it doesn’t put one over DC, and it doesn’t make Doctor Strange “more creative” than Justice League. It’s just a talking point for nerds to feel smug about : “Oh yeah, DC movies suck, they just haven’t hit on Marvel’s perfect formula that they reiterate with every single movie. DC is so creatively bankrupt. :smuggo:

Both sets of movies have their problems but Marvel movies don’t have a creative edge just for having a successful formula, it just means they’re inoffensive and safe. And there’s nothing inherently wrong with that, it just means that they’re not very interesting. This extends to their tv line in AoS and especially Netflix, which keeps imitating Daredevil S1 without understanding what made it great underneath the hood.

DC’s problem, in tv (Titans) and in movies (BvS), is that they’re hitting the wrong notes and being overly edgy which is a big turn off. They haven’t found a niche and they’re spinning their wheels. And that’s a problem but it also is different from the Marvel formula problem.

And at any rate, I think being formulaic sucks a lot more than just making a bad movie or tv show. Formulas are too safe to be interesting.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

it's a Garth Ennis comic which means that superheroes are just complete jokes who get in the way of REAL MEN doing the GRITTY STUFF that only REAL MEN usually WITH GUNS can do.

also if you can work in some misogyny and planes that's good too

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The boys is definitely mean-spirited and gross on several different levels but i dunno that you can call ennis tryhard because he just is that way, he doesnt need to try

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Barry Convex posted:

It's way worse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

esperterra posted:

also iirc there was rights issues between the tv show and the superman movies (or movie, really. i think the brandon routh suit is even the one tom wears in the end lol), where the show could use clark etc but could not use the suit or something, which is why it only showed up in the finale?

but that could be old internet rumours tbf

I think it mostly came down to Welling refusing to wear the suit. From everything I remember reading they had to CG and body double all the scenes where he becomes Superman.
And they borrowed the Returns suit in like season 7 or something. Then in the finale the suit Ghost Pa gives him is a hilariously cheap Halloween costume quality because the original was back in the Warner archive.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So is The Gifted still treading water or did this season have a good opening?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

HIJK posted:

I don’t have an opinion about your takes regarding BvS, my only point of interest has ever been about your original assertion that the Marvel formula is creative by being a formula:

I don’t believe that Marvel movies are inherently “more creative” just because they’re so similar, and I also don’t believe the DC Snyderverse is creatively bankrupt like people online keep harping on.

If you want to discuss the creativity of DC vs Marvel than I would disagree that formulaic Marvel movies are more creative than the DC movies we have received. I think Marvel has a successful formula but that only means that they’re good at following a recipe, not that they’re inherently better or more interesting. DC movies have a problem with being undisciplined and scattershot, and trying to chase the wrong ideas because that’s what WB is into right now, that’s the main difference.

A formula is a formula is a formula. Establishing the formula is interesting to watch, which is part of what made Iron Man and Daredevil S1 great when they came out. But it doesn’t put one over DC, and it doesn’t make Doctor Strange “more creative” than Justice League. It’s just a talking point for nerds to feel smug about : “Oh yeah, DC movies suck, they just haven’t hit on Marvel’s perfect formula that they reiterate with every single movie. DC is so creatively bankrupt. :smuggo:

Both sets of movies have their problems but Marvel movies don’t have a creative edge just for having a successful formula, it just means they’re inoffensive and safe. And there’s nothing inherently wrong with that, it just means that they’re not very interesting. This extends to their tv line in AoS and especially Netflix, which keeps imitating Daredevil S1 without understanding what made it great underneath the hood.

DC’s problem, in tv (Titans) and in movies (BvS), is that they’re hitting the wrong notes and being overly edgy which is a big turn off. They haven’t found a niche and they’re spinning their wheels. And that’s a problem but it also is different from the Marvel formula problem.

And at any rate, I think being formulaic sucks a lot more than just making a bad movie or tv show. Formulas are too safe to be interesting.

Almost every major film and TV show released follows one of a handful of formulas. There are books written about this. Classes are taught about this. It is kind of how most movies and TV shows work. The MCU formula is particularly problematic because they went way too specific with it, and kept doing it over and over. I mean, it makes money, but yeesh. As for thinking formulas are too safe to be interesting, well if you like almost any major Hollywood film or TV show in the past 20 years and I am guessing you do since you are here, you like a formulaic thing. So you can't really say formulas suck and are uninteresting. If you like them then you like them. There are plenty of people that genuinely despise Hollywood formulas for exactly the reasons you state and those people do not watch almost any TV/Netflix/big blockbuster films because of it. Marvel didn't invent formulas for story telling. They just completely overdid it.

That said, I am fairly certain that I haven't made any statement to the effect that Marvel is inherently superior because of their formula. In the sentence you highlighted specifically, there is no such claim at all. I'm pretty sure that I have been stating that those movies were better than those particular DC movies despite of their formula. And that is the same sentence you kind of referenced in your first reply when you claimed I made that argument. So I am not sure why you are zeroing in on that one sentence keep reading into it something that isn't there. It's not like I claimed those particular movies were dunking on The Dark Knight or some some legendary critical masterpiece.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I have enjoyed it so far, but I enjoyed it last season too. So YMMV.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Lurdiak posted:

It's way worse.

ah okay, for some reason I thought the comic was well-regarded. guess I won’t be watching

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Barry Convex posted:

ah okay, for some reason I thought the comic was well-regarded. guess I won’t be watching

Some people really like it, and they use the words "deconstruction" and "satire" wrong a lot when explaining why.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

HIJK posted:

People tend to have this really cynical definition of the term "formula" as if it's this...cold sterile calculation of easy-way-out ready-made ingredients of making a thing. And I get why people think that...heck, "formulaic" has become flat-out synonymous with being artistically cliched or repetitive.

A more generous definition of "formula" can also be boiled down to "everything that makes a thing actually work."

Narrative structure is formula. Pacing is formula. Cinematography is formula. Character dynamics and arcs are formula. Everything that they teach a filmmaker in school in order to help them become filmmakers is formula derived from decades of experience and study.

So there's a danger in automatically assuming that adhering to a formula is somehow antithetical to creativity. The logical conclusion of that becomes "Well, if I don't do what these other movies do, that automatically means I'm being creative and original, right?" Well. Sure. Maybe. But those other movies probably did those things for really dang good reasons, so if your driving objective is to to be "not like all those other girls," chances are good you're gonna gently caress up in all the ways that they specifically avoided. 'Cuz. Y'know. They had a formula.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s bait .gif

notthegoatseguy posted:

The opening had a good opening but it didn’t actually do much, kind of like the finale.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 5, 2018

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Almost every major film and TV show released follows one of a handful of formulas. There are books written about this. Classes are taught about this. It is kind of how most movies and TV shows work. The MCU formula is particularly problematic because they went way too specific with it, and kept doing it over and over. I mean, it makes money, but yeesh. As for thinking formulas are too safe to be interesting, well if you like almost any major Hollywood film or TV show in the past 20 years and I am guessing you do since you are here, you like a formulaic thing. So you can't really say formulas suck and are uninteresting. If you like them then you like them. There are plenty of people that genuinely despise Hollywood formulas for exactly the reasons you state and those people do not watch almost any TV/Netflix/big blockbuster films because of it. Marvel didn't invent formulas for story telling. They just completely overdid it.

That said, I am fairly certain that I haven't made any statement to the effect that Marvel is inherently superior because of their formula. In the sentence you highlighted specifically, there is no such claim at all. I'm pretty sure that I have been stating that those movies were better than those particular DC movies despite of their formula. And that is the same sentence you kind of referenced in your first reply when you claimed I made that argument. So I am not sure why you are zeroing in on that one sentence keep reading into it something that isn't there. It's not like I claimed those particular movies were dunking on The Dark Knight or some some legendary critical masterpiece.

Well, I actually haven't really enjoyed much of anything out of Hollywood for the past 20 years. The only recent movie I can think of off the top of my head that I liked was Refn's Drive, and he has a very distinctive style that I haven't seen imitated anywhere. (Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, just means I haven't seen it.) I do watch tv and movies but I can't tell you much about them because I don't remember them, it's all just kind of a gray blur.

I highlighted that sentence because that's the one that stood out to me and that's how I read it. Otherwise it's not that deep. I wasn't planning to zero in on it but you've been replying and I've been replying and it's been a discussion I guess lol. You also seem to be convinced that I'm responding to some critique but I'm not, I don't really care about BvS.

Also formulas suck and they're uninteresting, lmao. I only consume vegan free range organic narratives that you've probably never heard of huehue

BrianWilly posted:

People tend to have this really cynical definition of the term "formula" as if it's this...cold sterile calculation of easy-way-out ready-made ingredients of making a thing. And I get why people think that...heck, "formulaic" has become flat-out synonymous with being artistically cliched or repetitive.

A more generous definition of "formula" can also be boiled down to "everything that makes a thing actually work."

Narrative structure is formula. Pacing is formula. Cinematography is formula. Character dynamics and arcs are formula. Everything that they teach a filmmaker in school in order to help them become filmmakers is formula derived from decades of experience and study.

So there's a danger in automatically assuming that adhering to a formula is somehow antithetical to creativity. The logical conclusion of that becomes "Well, if I don't do what these other movies do, that automatically means I'm being creative and original, right?" Well. Sure. Maybe. But those other movies probably did those things for really dang good reasons, so if your driving objective is to to be "not like all those other girls," chances are good you're gonna gently caress up in all the ways that they specifically avoided. 'Cuz. Y'know. They had a formula.

I wouldn't mind formulas so much if they didn't stick out so sharply which I think is a pitfall of modern media. Adhering to a formula isn't necessarily antithetical to creativity but I don't like how formulas are being used in American media and how these things are just copies of copies of copies of copies. I'm not a fan of the show Star Trek: Discovery and part of why is because it's copying Battlestar Galactica instead of Star Trek. Wrong formula I guess? lol

I do know I would much rather watch an interesting failure than a paint by the numbers production.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I have no qualms about back and forths and discussions. I enjoy them, so I don't want you to think I am annoyed that you are quoting me. I was just pointing out that you kinda kept misreading a single sentence and formulating more and more of your responses around that misreading.

Also TV shows follow the same rules as movies (generally, I mean, they have their own specific rules and formulas for the format but there is overlap), so not liking movies from Hollywood because they are formulaic but liking TV shows made by Hollywood is kind of iffy. Also I limited it to 20 years arbitrarily. The plot structures for Hollywood films are almost certainly older than either you or me, and they've been writing about them academically for nearly as long (well maybe at least the 1950s?) As far as I know there was no shift in production methods 20 years ago. I just guessed a number that was likely to cover most of your life.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

All of which being said, I thought Ant-Man was so bluntly formulaic that I could literally predict everything that would happen onscreen fifteen-to-thirty seconds before it actually happened.

Dr. Strange was a little bit less so, but that owed more to the source being pretty balls out trippy and less to what they did with it.

....wait which thread is this

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There was a huge shift in movie production about 20 years ago. Oh Brother, Where Art Thou was the first film where literally every frame was color corrected in a computer, now almost every Hollywood production does that. But that's aesthetics not plot.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

I have no qualms about back and forths and discussions. I enjoy them, so I don't want you to think I am annoyed that you are quoting me. I was just pointing out that you kinda kept misreading a single sentence and formulating more and more of your responses around that misreading.

Also TV shows follow the same rules as movies (generally, I mean, they have their own specific rules and formulas for the format but there is overlap), so not liking movies from Hollywood because they are formulaic but liking TV shows made by Hollywood is kind of iffy. Also I limited it to 20 years arbitrarily. The plot structures for Hollywood films are almost certainly older than either you or me, and they've been writing about them academically for nearly as long (well maybe at least the 1950s?) As far as I know there was no shift in production methods 20 years ago. I just guessed a number that was likely to cover most of your life.

I don't like tv shows either haha I've also given up on television. I talk about Daredevil S1 a lot in the relevant threads and that's because Daredevil S1 really stood out as stellar storytelling to me, it was really unique and told a beautifully human story...in the context of superhero television of all things.

But Daredevil S2 super disappointed me and I haven't really liked anything else the Netflix Marvel tv studio has put out. The same goes for other tv shows I've watched especially since the copy pasted bits are so easy to pick out. I guess the older I get the more cynical I become about tv and movies in general. I wish they had better storytelling and that there was more courage in the writers' rooms. And a lot of that is attributable to an over reliance on templates like Save the Cat or whatever they're using these days.

It's not that you can't tell good stories out of these recipes, you can. I just haven't seen any in a while and I know it's not because the scriptwriters and producers are overly creative and brilliant and willing to take risks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

It's like how any movie with any sort of studio backing whatsoever these days is "written by committee". Of course, making movies is an inherently collaborative process, so I suppose it's technically correct. :v:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

There was a huge shift in movie production about 20 years ago. Oh Brother, Where Art Thou was the first film where literally every frame was color corrected in a computer, now almost every Hollywood production does that. But that's aesthetics not plot.

Yeah I hosed that up and meant pre-production (writing, story telling/plotting stuff.)

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's like how any movie with any sort of studio backing whatsoever these days is "written by committee". Of course, making movies is an inherently collaborative process, so I suppose it's technically correct. :v:

Yeah. I think a lot of people believe that truly good movies only ever have one writer, without realizing that even movies with one credited writer will have uncredited writers and script doctors, or just plain input from other people. Not the mention that during production, it is common for directors and even actors to modify things further.

BrianWilly posted:

All of which being said, I thought Ant-Man was so bluntly formulaic that I could literally predict everything that would happen onscreen fifteen-to-thirty seconds before it actually happened.

Dr. Strange was a little bit less so, but that owed more to the source being pretty balls out trippy and less to what they did with it.

....wait which thread is this

I agree. Ant-Man is easily one of the most egregious examples. I included it because I am mad about DC movies.

HIJK posted:

I don't like tv shows either haha I've also given up on television. I talk about Daredevil S1 a lot in the relevant threads and that's because Daredevil S1 really stood out as stellar storytelling to me, it was really unique and told a beautifully human story...in the context of superhero television of all things.

But Daredevil S2 super disappointed me and I haven't really liked anything else the Netflix Marvel tv studio has put out. The same goes for other tv shows I've watched especially since the copy pasted bits are so easy to pick out. I guess the older I get the more cynical I become about tv and movies in general. I wish they had better storytelling and that there was more courage in the writers' rooms. And a lot of that is attributable to an over reliance on templates like Save the Cat or whatever they're using these days.

It's not that you can't tell good stories out of these recipes, you can. I just haven't seen any in a while and I know it's not because the scriptwriters and producers are overly creative and brilliant and willing to take risks.

That's completely fair. But I guess the last big question is have you ever enjoyed TV or movies? Or do you now dislike the things you once liked as well? I do see how one can become jaded over time because of things never really seeming to get better. My TV viewing is probably down 90% from 5 years ago. I am barely clinging on to the CW shows at this point. Hell I am practically barely clinging on to anything I watch on TV these days. I've pretty much given up on sitcoms, though I am now curious about this Good Place show that I have been hearing about. Netflix shows only work for me because I can binge them whenever I feel like it. If it weren't for that, I dunno if I'd be able to watch them most of the time. I certainly wouldn't have made it though IF1 or JJ2.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

That's completely fair. But I guess the last big question is have you ever enjoyed TV or movies? Or do you now dislike the things you once liked as well? I do see how one can become jaded over time because of things never really seeming to get better. My TV viewing is probably down 90% from 5 years ago. I am barely clinging on to the CW shows at this point. Hell I am practically barely clinging on to anything I watch on TV these days. I've pretty much given up on sitcoms, though I am now curious about this Good Place show that I have been hearing about. Netflix shows only work for me because I can binge them whenever I feel like it. If it weren't for that, I dunno if I'd be able to watch them most of the time. I certainly wouldn't have made it though IF1 or JJ2.

Oof, that’s a super good question.

I tend to like first seasons a lot and subsquent seasons a lot less.

I liked Riverdale S1 a lot more than S2, which i ended up giving up on halfway through. Riverdale S1 was a weird amalgamation of a lot of different tropes though: it was a noir detective story, but also a coming of age, but also a story of corporate intrigue, but also a story of competing families and fundie Christian drama, and an intense CW highschool drama, and then a last minute throw of urban fantasy at the end when Cheryl sees her brother’s zombie corpse. What interested me was how adeptly the show juggled all of these elements and then tied it all together with remarkably well done camera work, I can’t believe it was a CW show.

But then S2 wasn’t quite as interesting because it wasn’t done in a crucible, they had more room with the expanded episode count which meant the show wasn’t quite as tightly written, and became a little more boring as a result.

Then I really enjoyed the first season of True Detective, which was bonkers but had a similar crucible feeling of Riverdale S1. I really enjoyed the horror of that one which unfortunately I haven’t seen replicated anywhere else. It took the typical exploitive HBO sexual psycho drama and then told you what a piece of poo poo you were for liking it, and then it actually handled the topic of sex trafficking and child abuse in a borderline respectful way. It also helped that the actors were fantastic, and again the camera work was super punchy and had me screaming in my chair a lot of the time.

But S2, I didn’t hear good things about it and it didn’t have the supernatural elements, so I gave it a miss.

The last tv show I liked was Broadchurch S1 which I binged in a day because it wad such a compelling character drama and it showed the destruction of a town over a single death so adeptly. It’s all heightened of course but it was also what convinced me that David Tennant was a great actor in his own right.

Broadchurch S2 did not measure up, I think it became a really stupidly written court room drama that was just badly handled from start to finish, and I stopped watching after that.

I really enjoyed NBC Hannibal as well but that quickly changed from a police drama and became about the cat and mouse game between Will Graham and Hannibal Lecter. Then it shifted to their taboo love story and how it revolved around their emotional damage and cannibalism. Also had stellar camera work.

Daredevil S1 I liked for a lot of reasons I’ve covered in other posts.

Looking at these, what drew me in initially was the crime stories but then all of these shows went off in weird directions, and I really enjoyed those directions.

I haven’t heard anything about the Good Place, is it...decent?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Good Place is forking amazing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The good place owns

The reason you didnt like true detective s2 was because it was bad

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess with the exception of Hannibal, all your examples are shows that everyone considers to have dropped in quality in their second seasons.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I said it in the movie thread, but Grounded being a selling point instantly makes me skeptical of the quality.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
My whole thing with Marvel is that for as formulaic as they might be (and they can be pretty bad in that regard, looking at you, Dr. Strange, nice third act though) it's a formula I like. Because I like superheroes. And even with all these Marvel flicks, there are still not enough good superhero movies to make me go "Okay, they should stop making these."

Maybe it'd be different if anyone else was doing a decent job or if there were other companies putting out more crazy, imaginative stuff. But there's not. Deadpool, Logan, and Wonder Woman were good but not exactly "weirdo in a colorful outfit saves the day by beating up other, different, more sinister weirdo" material.

Lurdiak posted:

Some people really like it, and they use the words "deconstruction" and "satire" wrong a lot when explaining why.

I like the Boys ultimately because for all of the eye-roll-y stuff about how lovely superheroes are, the core cast and their story is pretty good.

I doubt it'll change any minds, and with marketing like that I can't blame people for getting the wrong idea, but the real nature of the book is demonstrated in how (arguably) the worst person in the entire comic is actually the guy who hates superheroes and the "real bad guys" are profit obsessed corporate shitheels who literally recruited a Nazi ubermesnch and dressed him up like Superman, because they thought it'd be good for their bottom line. I wouldn't recommend it in general, it's definitely the kind of thing you need to be tuned to a certain wavelength for, but it's not like it's Crossed.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah I can't lie, I went into it knowing it would be peak Ennis awful and expecting to drop it quickly but wound up binging the entire thing over like 3 days because for all its faults I found it to be pretty engaging

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The Boys is a book that exists in a state of "extremely good" and "extremely bad".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

The Boys is a book that exists in a state of "extremely good" and "extremely bad".

Schrodinger's Comic.