Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can only imagine this statement means bunny girl will inspire 30 times as much discourse as franxx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

plz add a world filter that changes "franxx" to "I'M A loving IDIOT"

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

an actual dog posted:

plz add a world filter that changes "franxx" to "I'M A loving IDIOT"

Doctor I'M A loving IDIOT works narratively as well

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

tv's franxx

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh right.

https://twitter.com/liborek3/status/1047914308921909251?s=19

That looks nice, I'm tentatively excited for more Eureka Seven again and also reminded that the first new movie thing is on amazon and I should watch it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i mean darling in the franxx wasn't exactly a show unified by one specifically bad thing as it was a show that was a jumble of things that ended up leaning towards being a gigantic mess so it's a pretty meaningless statement to make towards something that isn't immediately apparently anything like darling in the franxx

I sort of feel like the most famous bad thing was the inept exploration of gender roles, though, so given Bunny Girl’s premise, I can sort of get an inkling of what they might mean by that.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth Walrus posted:

I sort of feel like the most famous bad thing was the inept exploration of gender roles, though, so given Bunny Girl’s premise, I can sort of get an inkling of what they might mean by that.

It’s not really a meaningful comment when it does nothing but kick along a long game of telephone.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
what show has adept gender roles

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

neither the lovely take or the post that regurgitated it here w/out any context deserves a generous interpretation imo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

And let's just compare the way the two consoles approached puzzle games: The Dreamcast gives us Chu Chu Rocket - colourful, simple, cartoony. Gaming equivalent of candy. The Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Gurazeni's new ED is really fun. Wish they had a new song though

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

The Colonel posted:

i mean darling in the franxx wasn't exactly a show unified by one specifically bad thing as it was a show that was a jumble of things that ended up leaning towards being a gigantic mess so it's a pretty meaningless statement to make towards something that isn't immediately apparently anything like darling in the franxx

:shrug: It is obviously pretty vague. But well, if the show starts getting into the mode where people find themselves thinking "hmm, this is going into some sensitive places with some pretty weird takes and throwing a bunch of random ideas in, maybe it's going to build up to a decent ending in the end if I keep on watching???" then well, I'd bear that comment in mind.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fangz posted:

:shrug: It is obviously pretty vague. But well, if the show starts getting into the mode where people find themselves thinking "hmm, this is going into some sensitive places with some pretty weird takes, maybe it's going to build up to a decent ending in the end if I keep on watching???" then well, I'd bear that comment in mind.

Who are "these people" that you described in your previous post? I refuse to believe multiple people made that same disingenuous, vague, lovely comparison.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mamma mia, it's Jojo! And it's good!

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

GorfZaplen posted:

Gurazeni is still Gurazeni, although the animation was a bit worse this ep
Yeah, but pennant race so get hype! Think of the end of season bonus pay!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

based on the description of bloom into you i just assumed the character was ace

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hinomaru Zumo was ok, but I don't know if I'll stick with it. Seems like it's going to follow on the steps of Kuroko, only with chunky boys.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Julias posted:

Who are "these people" that you described in your previous post? I refuse to believe multiple people made that same disingenuous, vague, lovely comparison.

Let me unpack:

1. I came upon a conversation between people discussing the show before it aired
2. Some members (or some member) of this conversation claimed to have read the source material
3. The comparison to darling in the franxx was used

It's not a show I was going to watch anyway, but seeing people talk positively about the show brought the conversation to mind. So I just typed off a quick reply since it probably wasn't worth me actually researching this thing that is ultimately gossip.

ALSO, I'd do a mea culpa now, since now that I've actually gone and checked with this person, they were actually thinking of a different show, so ... sorry everyone. :P

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

what show has adept gender roles

This post made me realise that there are multiple anime/manga characters who have used on-the-fly gender-swapping as a martial arts technique.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fangz posted:

Let me unpack:

1. I came upon a conversation between people discussing the show before it aired
2. Some members (or some member) of this conversation claimed to have read the source material
3. The comparison to darling in the franxx was used

It's not a show I was going to watch anyway, but seeing people talk positively about the show brought the conversation to mind. So I just typed off a quick reply since it probably wasn't worth me actually researching this thing that is ultimately gossip.

ALSO, I'd do a mea culpa now, since now that I've actually gone and checked with this person, they were actually thinking of a different show, so ... sorry everyone. :P

Thanks Fangz :9

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The new season of the seasonal anime thread is sometimes hard to follow, but I'm sticking with it for now

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
please watch jojo everyone

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Jojo is good

Semquais
Dec 5, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

based on the description of bloom into you i just assumed the character was ace

She's gay but she read too much shoujo romance manga as a child so she's incapable of finding satisfaction in normal human relationships because no one is dramatically stating that they'd be willing to die 800 times forever in agony for their love.

This isn't a joke post, that's literally her backstory.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Lemon-Lime posted:

She's gay but she read too much shoujo romance manga as a child so she's incapable of finding satisfaction in normal human relationships because no one is dramatically stating that they'd be willing to die 800 times forever in agony for their love.

So I guess she's the anime equivalent of someone who watches too many romcoms and never dates because no one is """the one"""

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

that sounds stupid

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

DisDisDis posted:

that sounds stupid

It’s a trope literally stretching back hundreds of years, as far back as Don Quixote

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AnoHito posted:

So I guess she's the anime equivalent of someone who watches too many romcoms and never dates because no one is """the one"""

Yes.

DisDisDis posted:

that sounds stupid

It's perfectly realistic.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

DisDisDis posted:

that sounds stupid

it is

but also

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's perfectly realistic.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i can't speak for how that series handles it but "unrealistic expectations of relationships due to societal conditioning" is a thing a lot of people still deal with to varying degrees

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The 7th Guest posted:

And let's just compare the way the two consoles approached puzzle games: The Dreamcast gives us Chu Chu Rocket - colourful, simple, cartoony. Gaming equivalent of candy. The Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

chu chu rocket > ico

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I was wondering how sympathetic the show wanted me to be towards the MC. It's a hard line to walk between "You absolutely shouldn't date someone you're not interested in" and "you're being way too unreasonable" and I found Bloom Into You felt more like the former imo

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I loved Bloom into You 1 and it reminded me of a 90/00'S shoujo romance vibe which is exactly what I wanted out of the show.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/LossThief/status/997806753470349313?s=19

Kodansha just announced this for English release.
Rad.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Very nice of them after the scanlators dropped the series a few months ago.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm glad I have anime to distract myself from the bullshit that has been this afternoon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

People who read the light novel have described bunny senpai as darling in the franxx except 30 times worse.
could you describe what this means without using buzz words or contextless, contentless comparisons to other shows

edit: oh wait youre an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

that sounds stupid
this was literally my childhood so