Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Andrast posted:

Latency is the main issue, not bandwith

And is hosed often enough in the US to badly affect gaming in areas where the internet is supposedly good and where all the graphics rendering is happening on the client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RCarr posted:

Someone tell me how Mario Party is drat it! I have to wait until I'm off work to play!

only 10 of the minigames can be played online

like, Nintendo

why

if someone leaves, just replace them with a loving bot or something, who cares

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Hahahaha, you sweet, sweet summer child....

This was not supposed to be taken seriously. It was intended as "If the US somehow manages to fix their internet poo poo (would require a massive shift in policies so extremely unlikely) we might see a stream only gaming console in the 2030s, because like hell we'll see anything like that in PS5 gen even if the infrastructure appears today.

Basically it's not happening, but your right this is the Nintendo thread and someone might seriously think the US will do something about telecommunications.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 5, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I trust Trump to put our telecommunications forward.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
It's a disappointment entirely that you can't just straight up play a full round of Mario Party online with a friend :(

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

waiting for someone to take their turn in mario party online sounds extremely unappealing to me anyway

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

romanowski posted:

waiting for someone to take their turn in mario party online sounds extremely unappealing to me anyway

I probably wouldn't play with a random person, but like, I HAVE FRIENDS in other states and it would be awesome to play a game online with them. Ya know, like I can do with almost every other multiplayer game these days.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

eonwe posted:

like, Nintendo

why

I believe it rotates weekly

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Al Borland Corpse posted:

I believe it rotates weekly

But....why??

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I probably wouldn't play with a random person, but like, I HAVE FRIENDS in other states and it would be awesome to play a game online with them. Ya know, like I can do with almost every other multiplayer game these days.

it's even worse when I have to wait for my friends to take their drat turn already!!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

RCarr posted:

Happy Mario Party Day! :)

This. Why aren’t we doing more of this?

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

LEGEND OF LEGAIA HD REMAKE WHEN

OMG THIS!!!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

eonwe posted:

like, Nintendo

why

Yea, this is unimaginably and inexcusably stupid, but as long as the actual game is good I can live with it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RCarr posted:

as long as the actual game is good I can live with it.

Its mario party tho

Barudak
May 7, 2007

KingSlime posted:

But....why??

Same reason splatoon hits you with a mandatory cutscene telling you the maps.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

This is so annoying

content
Feb 13, 2014

Barudak posted:

I still hate this so much.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is Mario Party appropriate for a kid who can't read fast yet? I've never played one.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

content posted:

I still hate this so much.

Jesus I wondered if I was the only one. It's like I want to hop in for 10mins to play a match or two and all 10 mins is taken up by the stupid fake show going over the maps. I just had to stop playing it because it's every time it feels like.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Zibidibodel posted:

Jesus I wondered if I was the only one. It's like I want to hop in for 10mins to play a match or two and all 10 mins is taken up by the stupid fake show going over the maps. I just had to stop playing it because it's every time it feels like.

That's what turned me off both games. I really love them but once I get over the play this every night for 4 hours and instead go you know I'd like to drop into 1-2 matches then play something else tonight it turns into oh yeah this stupid unskippable poo poo I'm just gonna do something else.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It is every time you boot up the game and everytime you change modes after they swap maps.

It basically destroyed my will to play the game in a couple of days, and since it stalls you from singleplayer as well I lost interest in that too.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Huxley posted:

Is Mario Party appropriate for a kid who can't read fast yet? I've never played one.

I play Mario Party with my 4 year old daughter and she seems to understand what's going on for the most part and can't read... but I do read stuff out loud to her.

I can't wait to play some Super Mario Party tonight with her! I kind of want to get her the pink splatoon Joycon so she has her own controller.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The map video in splatoon should just be broadcast from that big TV in the plaza with the option of full-screening it when you look at it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Barudak posted:

It is every time you boot up the game and everytime you change modes after they swap maps.

It basically destroyed my will to play the game in a couple of days, and since it stalls you from singleplayer as well I lost interest in that too.

I got the absolute worst of it the other day.

I saw some Halloween thing was announced, so I wanted to log in and get my Super Sea Snails from the Splatfest before it went way. I loaded the game fresh, got into it, was told I needed an update to connect. Manually force the download, install the update, start up fresh again. Then am hit with Splatfest Results that I already know, all the new weapons added, the usually game update about checking online for details, and all map rotations.

I felt like it took me 10 minutes just to collect my Super Sea Snails.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Astro7x posted:

I got the absolute worst of it the other day.

I saw some Halloween thing was announced, so I wanted to log in and get my Super Sea Snails from the Splatfest before it went way. I loaded the game fresh, got into it, was told I needed an update to connect. Manually force the download, install the update, start up fresh again. Then am hit with Splatfest Results that I already know, all the new weapons added, the usually game update about checking online for details, and all map rotations.

I felt like it took me 10 minutes just to collect my Super Sea Snails.

wait, you don't get super sea snails automatically, and they disappear?

i may have not gotten any in that case. not a huge deal since i only play on splatfests and don't know what they do but meh

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Huxley posted:

I played mario party 9 and 10 with my 4yr old and 8yr old and they do fine with a little guidance. Will be trying smp tonight

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Barudak posted:

It's been a bit for me but don't you even have to press buttons to get through the dialogue so you can't even go and get a drink or something to pass it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Huxley posted:

sure

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Zibidibodel posted:

It's been a bit for me but don't you even have to press buttons to get through the dialogue so you can't even go and get a drink or something to pass it.

Yup, the best you can do is get one ahead of time and take a swig while mashing A. You could probably drink a few beers if you wanted to speed drink, but please think of your poor liver if you do that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm the guy that complains about 15 seconds dialogue and makes it sound like 2 minutes.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

American McGay posted:

I'm the guy that complains about 15 seconds dialogue and makes it sound like 2 minutes.

It feels like hours.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Every time I boot up Spla2n I am reminded of my own mortality.

That’s why I play ARMS instead.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Just kidding I only play with myself.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Barudak posted:

It is insane why don't they let you press a button to skip it

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

If I casually play Splat 2 I don't give a poo poo what maps are in rotation.

Still have two gems to get in SMP, and then the pentagram will be complete and we'll summon Mara.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not even going to bother timing it but if you're smacking A it's like..30s. It's annoying & dumb but if that's all it took to make you drop a game holy poo poo no patience at all.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

I'm not even going to bother timing it but if you're smacking A it's like..30s. It's annoying & dumb but if that's all it took to make you drop a game holy poo poo no patience at all.

It's not dropping it that it stops, it's being done and wanting to play 1 maybe 2 rounds. I don't really play any shooter for more than 1-2 rounds at once and with the long lead in it's quicker to just play a few rounds of Overwatch or Fortnite. There's a very different threshold in bullshit to put up with when you are looking to fill a 10-15 minute time period compared to a few hours.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

There's squid kids walking around with horns and masks, and Splat-oween hasn't started yet. What gives?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Holy poo poo it's not that bad. I'm assuming you're the type to not go out anywhere because a 5 minute drive is way too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

pixaal posted:

It's not dropping it that it stops, it's being done and wanting to play 1 maybe 2 rounds. I don't really play any shooter for more than 1-2 rounds at once and with the long lead in it's quicker to just play a few rounds of Overwatch or Fortnite. There's a very different threshold in bullshit to put up with when you are looking to fill a 10-15 minute time period compared to a few hours.

...:wow: