Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Test Pattern posted:

The other weird little things I remember from the FASERIP was that Cap and the X-Men were the examples of the poles of the popularity stat, and that, as written, the most useful thing for Cap to do in most situations in the city was go "HEY CITIZENS! I, CAPTAIN AMERICA, NEED YOUR HELP!"

Considering his backstory, that checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
On the issues of Spider-Man I'm reading the covers keep saying "The Non-Mutant Superhero".

The past two issues have had a mutant villain and a special appearance by another mutant. The 90s rule.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

site posted:

I thought surfer was way stronger tbh

And i guess aaron retconned she-hulk to be even stronger than banner hulk so that needs adjusting now

Since I'm on with this, OHOTMU Deluxe (since it's roughly contemporary) says:
  • She-Hulk: 75 tons
  • Silver Surfer: "well over 100 tons"
  • Captain Britain: 2 tons with uniform on

Dr.Magnificent posted:

Wonderman has the power of superman but is a total loser. Which seems like a great hook for a book, but no one has made it work.

Fight-Man. Evan Dorkin wrote the Fight-Man one-shot (1993) and it was hilarious. See also Agent X #10-11. The character and his villains are pure comedy gold and given that he's in prison I'd love to see him end up as a Thunderbolt just so he can come back.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

Also, I don't think he's holding it so much as judoing it over his head.

I've decided that Spider-Man is just trying to hang out with the cool kids and everyone likes him too much to tell him he's in the wrong group. He's also standing in a different plane than the rest, so it's possible he's just straight-up lying to the reader. Silver Surfer just doesn't want to hang out with that nerd Wonder Man.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

Considering his backstory, that checks out.

I know it's a what if, but, "HEY CITIZENS! Without a commitment to the freedom of all men, AMERICA IS A PIECE OF TRASH! A NATION IS NOTHING! A FLAG IS A PIECE OF CLOTH!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Push El Burrito posted:

On the issues of Spider-Man I'm reading the covers keep saying "The Non-Mutant Superhero".

The past two issues have had a mutant villain and a special appearance by another mutant. The 90s rule.

It's really as cynical as you think. Things with "mutant" on the cover sold better, so they added that to Spider-man and made x-characters pop up in everything imaginable. This was when marketing was basically in charge of the company.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dr.Magnificent posted:

Wonderman has the power of superman but is a total loser. Which seems like a great hook for a book, but no one has made it work.

That's basically the hook for One Punch Man which is really entertaining unless you're allergic to Japanese media which I understand is a problem around here.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

thatbastardken posted:

the true power of spider-man is converting even his old nemesis into an ally.

haah

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Samuringa posted:

Huh, interesting. I only know about this thing where he wants to be/is an actor so I thought he was just some Booster Gold-level loser.

For a while, his thing was that he had a paralysing fear of dying so he always doubted himself in battle. There's all this stuff where he sees Carol Danvers charging in ahead of him and his thought bubbles are all, "Ms Marvel doesn't hesitate like I do! She charges into battle... Like a MAN would!"

ManiacClown posted:

Since I'm on with this, OHOTMU Deluxe (since it's roughly contemporary) says:
  • Captain Britain: 2 tons with uniform on

That would have changed a few years later when Dave Thorpe and Alan Davis rebooted the character and he got pushed up closer to the top rank for strength (his gimmick then was that he got weaker the longer he was away from Britain). Early Captain Britain was basically just British Spider-Man; he was a physics student who got superpowers from Merlin.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
On the subject of Spider-Man's strength.

Amazing Spider-Man #424.

The funny - He ends up in a team-up with Elektra by accident when hunting for Electro.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I got that comic randomly in one of the newsagents three packs and it's still pretty badass to me. Dudes got a headache, leave him alone.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Does anybody have those panels of Spidey flipping a train over with his pinky finger?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I can hardly imagine Spider-man of today beating the entire X-men or handing the Avengers their rear end.

In total fairness there, I'd give myself even odds in a fight against the mid-60's X-Men. :v:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

In total fairness there, I'd give myself even odds in a fight against the mid-60's X-Men. :v:

Snowballs, somersaults, a flying guy...yeah, your only real opposition is Scott and Jean, and there's every chance they'd fumble it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I just find it interesting that Jesus Christ is a mediumweight.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Push El Burrito posted:

This is before he got the Universe Powers. I'm actually reading that now. It's during Acts of Vengeance so all these villains keep showing up and he just tosses them around like they're nothing.

I thought those were from The Assassin Nation Plot storyline. Spidey goes to Symkaria during a royal wedding which is why he's in the tuxedo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bunnyofdoom posted:

I just find it interesting that Jesus Christ is a mediumweight.

Christianity isn't as popular as it used to be.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Random Stranger posted:

These were the mid 80s x-men! Now that's a team.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That's surprisingly woke for '97.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'm sure it was intended as Elektra being an unreasonable bitch.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Android Blues posted:

Snowballs, somersaults, a flying guy...yeah, your only real opposition is Scott and Jean, and there's every chance they'd fumble it.

I haven't kept up on my Official Handbook of Goon Stats but I don't know how many of us could easily beat up a flying athlete with a bazooka and a guy who splits the difference between football player, wrestler, and gorilla.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/warrenellis/status/1048174626558205952

Never heard of this book but considering reading it on the strength of that line alone

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Android Blues posted:

Spider-Man could use his web to pull off Scott's visor and he'd spend the rest of the fight covering his eyes going ,"NO! ONLY MY RUBY QUARTZ VISOR CAN CONTAIN MY OPTIC BLASTS! OH, CURSE MY CURSED MUTANT ENERGY-BLASTING EYES! JEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAN!" while Jean strikes a weird pose like on the cover of X-Men #1.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Rhyno posted:

Christianity isn't as popular as it used to be.

Well when you got Nordic gods walking around New York hanging out with literal aliens, theology can get a little bit complicated.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's only one god ma'am and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Spider-Man could use his web to pull off Scott's visor and he'd spend the rest of the fight covering his eyes going ,"NO! ONLY MY RUBY QUARTZ VISOR CAN CONTAIN MY OPTIC BLASTS! OH, CURSE MY CURSED MUTANT ENERGY-BLASTING EYES! JEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAN!" while Jean strikes a weird pose like on the cover of X-Men #1.

Jean would trip over a log or fall in a pothole.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

John Dyne posted:

Jean would trip over a log or fall in a pothole.

"I'll try to read his miAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!"

(Or is that Professor X?)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Wheat Loaf posted:

"I'll try to read his miAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!"

(Or is that Professor X?)

"It's just insults! Nothing else, most of them aren't even relevant to this fight! His mind is just a tornado of quips and one-liners!"

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 5, 2018

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

10 Beers posted:

I thought those were from The Assassin Nation Plot storyline. Spidey goes to Symkaria during a royal wedding which is why he's in the tuxedo.

With special appearance by Paladin! (I love Paladin)

Also a few issues later it cleared up the tank mess.

Punisher's left gun sounds stupid. You got a stupid sounding gun, Frank.

Surprisingly NOT woke for the 90s.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Push El Burrito posted:

Man, Fat Albert really hit the skids.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Push El Burrito posted:

Guile needs a better tailor.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

quote:

It's just the Kingpin in the early days, when he was still working his way up to more complex criminal enterprise.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Zaodai posted:

It's just the Kingpin in the early days, when he was still working his way up to more complex criminal enterprise.

He came across the same surgeon who punisher pissed off huh

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

idk what you guys are talking about, that's just Mabel from WWF before he dyed his hair blond

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Android Blues posted:

The flying guy does have a bazooka
https://goo.gl/images/hCCKpo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

The flying guy does have a bazooka
https://goo.gl/images/hCCKpo

Does he ever actually fire it in the book? I haven't read it in nearly 20 years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Does he ever actually fire it in the book? I haven't read it in nearly 20 years.

I don't think he even actually has it in the book. It's only on the cover.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if he actually had the bazooka the rest of the team wouldn't have anything to do. of course, 60's jean didn't do anything to begin with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What if it's actually a telescope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Push El Burrito posted:

Punisher's left gun sounds stupid. You got a stupid sounding gun, Frank.

Hey that was a great song by The Chords.

Has anyone ever tried to hide doo-wop lyrics in comic panels? I'm imagining the gun on the right side going alang alang alang.

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 5, 2018