Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I haven't seen a billion of them handing out flyers at every walkway, so I'm guessing they won't get elected.

Also lol, they want the degree of western civilisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The Confucius Institute is a decent place, I went there for a few lessons and it was literally just vanilla Chinese lessons. I don't know if its different University to University.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
They also seem to unironically think China is communist.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Another Chinese Propaganda Post from Anidav sponsored by the CCPTM

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

You Am I posted:

Oooh oooh I have one!

QUEENSLAND STRONG!

Hey it's my old av

GoldStandardConure posted:

hey jbp lets go on a bender in macau

I'll bring the cocaine!

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
*kramers in to the room*

Did somebody say cocaine

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
hopefully the young libs will get rolled out of the QUT student guild, although it won't do anything for QUT's reputation as being #1 Reichsuniversität

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-05/sarah-hanson-young-police-officer-charged-over-phone-call/10344752

quote:

A New South Wales police officer has been charged with making an offensive call to federal Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young.

Australian Federal Police allege the 56-year-old Senior Constable called an Australian senator in July.

He was charged with one count of using a carriage service to menace, harass or offend after AFP officers searched his home in south-west Sydney.

NSW Police will review the employment status of the officer, who is attached to the Central Metropolitan Region.

He is due to face court in November.
acab

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

You Am I posted:

Another Chinese Propaganda Post from Anidav sponsored by the CCPTM

Sounds like they also just kidnapped the head of Interpol.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Driving the Naizis out of QUT is just something Australia has to do every couple of years, like changing smoke alarm batteries, or prime ministers.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

Driving the Naizis out of QUT is just something Australia has to do every couple of years, like Wacking Day.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Recoome posted:

hahaha there are literal fascists trying to get elected in the UQ student union

https://www.facebook.com/ReviveOurUQU/

make no mistake, universities are fertile ground for really dumb poo poo political movements like this to fester, the fact that this is even a thing, alongside recent ultranationalist poo poo, is indicative that Brisbane once again needs to purge itself of ultranationalists/nazis again

oh poo poo, they've started mass producing Calebs

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I feel like someone is using a VPN at this point.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

But what if he loses his job?

Haha, no. Who am I kidding.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

what

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I voted Yes!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

aejix posted:

*kramers in to the room*

Did somebody say cocaine

Vetereans of the auspol IRC channel will verify that this is, in fact, my line.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

that explains so much

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Anidav posted:

I feel like someone is using a VPN at this point.

Face it, the world agrees that Queensland is the worst.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anidav's first probe will be the person violating the sanctity of the straw poll.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
IT CAME FROM NEWSCORP CAN YOU FIND THE CANDLES

Cash Confessions: On $215k we still struggle to make ends meet

LIVING in Townsville, 40-year-old Toby* and his wife Leanne* have worked hard to provide a comfortable lifestyle for their young family of three.

As parents of an eight-year-old son, their gross income is more than $215,000 a year, a figure more than $100,000 above the national household average.

But Toby, a finance manager, and Leanne, a teacher, say it’s just not enough.

But despite their above average income, and living in a regional centre, Toby says they still “struggle to make ends meet”.

“I am $80k net and my wife is $75k net,” he told news.com.au for Cash Confessions, where we ask Australians how much they earn and track how they spend it over a month.
“Which doesn’t feel like a huge income … and we aren’t able to save much at all … only around $5950 each year.

“Everyone has different circumstances, but we do not live a life of luxury. There’s no big holidays, or boats or houses. Our biggest expenses are education for our son, transportation and our personal loans each month.”

As a financial manager, Toby keeps a tight grip on his family’s expenditure each month to ensure they don’t dip into the red. But it’s the repayment of their $100,000 personal loan that hits their hip pocket the hardest each week. This includes paying off $46,000 on a Subaru Forrester bought in 2016, and $38,000 on a Hyundai i40.

“We pay $1000 each fortnight for the personal loan,” he said.

“The loan includes the cars, piano and some holidays.”

Along with the loan, Toby says they choose to spend more on rent as to live in a larger home in Townsville.

“Rent is quite expensive,” he said. “We spend $600 a week and the average would be around $400.

“There is a lot of crime up here, and we wanted to be in a nicer area. So it’s a five-bedroom house with a pool on the golf course. But we can’t afford to buy … we don’t even have a deposit. While we would like to one day, we don’t know where to cut expenses. Education ($866/month) is important to us.

While two cars was a big drain on their annual incomes, Toby said the household couldn’t function with one.

Each month, the pair will spend close to $2000 each month on repayments, fuel, registration, insurance and servicing for their fleet.

Toby said his family had no other choice.
“We really need two cars,” he explained.

“My wife needs one for her work … and I need one to drop off and pick up our son and for work.

“They are a big hole for us … but everyone has different circumstances.”

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Ironic. He could manage anyone's finance but his own.

Axel Ferguson
Apr 19, 2008
It's kinda lousy to poo poo on someone's personal finances as this is really common. However, just stop taking out personal loans. Have two small cars, purchase stuff outright. Who takes out loans for holidays?

And unless you're running a business from home you really don't need to have a 5 bedroom house. You're right that is some horrendous financial planning. I suppose if you're part of that industry there's a good chance you buy into that sort of stuff.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Axel Ferguson posted:

It's kinda lousy to poo poo on someone's personal finances as this is really common. However, just stop taking out personal loans. Have two small cars, purchase stuff outright. Who takes out loans for holidays?

And unless you're running a business from home you really don't need to have a 5 bedroom house. You're right that is some horrendous financial planning. I suppose if you're part of that industry there's a good chance you buy into that sort of stuff.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472

It's not lovely to poo poo on someone on six figures a year, in townsville, complaining that they are just getting by battlers. If you're on that money you can be aware you're privileged and if you're just getting by there is a serious error in play here, not that Society Is Too Hard and needing to talk to the media about how hard it is.

Axel Ferguson
Apr 19, 2008

Lid posted:

It's not lovely to poo poo on someone on six figures a year, in townsville, complaining that they are just getting by battlers. If you're on that money you can be aware you're privileged and if you're just getting by there is a serious error in play here, not that Society Is Too Hard and needing to talk to the media about how hard it is.

I agree, to me that is silly money too and as I stated above it's a hilarious string of bad choices. It seems quite common for people to make these poo poo choices and it's more of an indictment against personal finances and societal expectations.

Although you're right, these people are particularly awful at finances and could live super comfortably on that sort of money. I wish I had that potential for financial security.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
Even given the debt they have, they should be living fairly comfortably. Given the figures there they should still have around $2000 per fortnight to play with.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Nats are spruiking "Clean Green Farming" on Auntie at the moment, apparently this fake honey poo poo is actually the fault of vegetarians/vegans who want non-dairy milk etc.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Anidav: Queensland is poo poo and you should be ashamed.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-10-06/great-barrier-reef-catchment-land-clearing-near-10yr-peak/10337952

quote:

New data released by the Government shows land clearing in the Great Barrier Reef catchment in the year to June 2017 was at its second highest in 10 years.

Data published in the Government's quarterly emissions update shows 152,000 hectares were cleared in the catchment last year, marginally less than the amount cleared in 2015/16.

That takes the total land cleared in the catchment in the last five years to 770,000 hectares — an area about three times as large as the ACT — which Wilderness Society spokesperson Jessica Panegyres described as a "crisis".

"The Federal Government is promising the world it's doing everything it can to protect the reef, but it's failing," Ms Panegyres said.

"This deforestation in Queensland is part of the greater deforestation crisis that is happening across Australia. The Government could step in tomorrow to stop the clearing."

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Oh look at the MRA who is appealing his sentence:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/05/man-who-pleaded-guilty-to-defacing-eurydice-dixon-memorial-appeals

loving shitstain, I hope the appeals judge throws him into jail

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

And it looks like there's a bit of an effort going on to get Abbott unseated at the next election:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/06/tony-abbott-faces-campaign-using-tactics-that-defeated-mirabella-in-indi

I can imagine the Bolt tears if this actually happens.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/record-fine-for-pokie-club-that-gave-out-free-alcohol-and-cash-advances

A "small" venue by clubsNSW standard makes about 500k on a slow week. No idea how many pokies they have at this venue but that fine is not even a drop in the ocean.

quote:

pokies venue headed by Australia’s top clubs boss used free alcohol and large cash advances disguised as purchases to induce gamblers to spend more, according to damning findings by the independent regulator.

Clubs Australia president Peter Newell, who is also the chairman of influential industry group Clubs NSW, chairs the Illawarra District Rugby League Club, or Steelers, which has been fined $100,000, plus almost $30,000 in costs.

SBS News can also reveal the disciplinary penalty is the largest fine issued to a registered club since the NSW Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority was established a decade ago.

Steelers
Steelers in Wollongong, right, has been fined $100,000.
AAP / Supplied
Scott Miles, Steelers’ former club secretary and general manager, who it was found directed staff to undertake the offences to "make sure people are coming in the doors", has also been given the industry's first lifetime ban from any officeholder role.

The Authority's found the the conduct by of senior staff, led by Mr Miles, was a "serious" and "systemic" contravention of rules limiting the harms of gambling.

"There are financial benefits and consumer harms posed by unlawfully incentivising gamblers and obscuring credit transactions," it said.

Million dollar theft

The record sanction from NSW’s Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority, published this week, follows what Mr Newell has described as a “tumultuous year” for the venue in Wollongong, a regional city south of Sydney.

In December, Mr Miles was sentenced to up to four years in prison for defrauding the club of more than $1 million over a seven-year period - to feed his own gambling addiction.

Although the Authority accepted there was not evidence the board directors, including Mr Newell, were aware of the breaches involving gambling inducements for punters, it found the club - not just Mr Miles - was culpable for them.

Peter Newell
Clubs Australia president Peter Newell.
Clubs Australia
“While the unlawful conduct was instigated by Mr Miles, it occurred over a substantial period of time and involved large sums of money,” it said.

“It included the cooperation of managerial staff, several of whom clearly knew these practices to be wrong but acquiesced”.

'Asian clientele' targeted

Staff described running through “false EFTPOS transactions disguised as legitimate sales” for amounts ranging up to $40,000 so punters could access more cash to pump through the club’s pokies.

“It started a long, long time ago with some of our Asian clientele,” doorman James Summerrell told inspectors, adding that he was urged on by Mr Miles because “we can’t afford to lose this kind of patron, we need to keep doing what we’re doing”.

READ MORE
Dai Le with her family.
'I sold the family home to pay off mum’s gambling debts'
“Mr Summerrell stated that some patrons would come up and ask for ‘$5,000 on purchase’ between ‘four or five times a night’ with that money being used for ‘poker machines’”, the report said.

Supervisor Simon Reay said the disguised transactions, which breached liquor laws, were intended to circumvent the club’s cash-out policy. “If a customer hit a daily limit on their personal card, it was told upon us to ring it up as a purchase,” he said.

Duty manager Graham Crittenden told inspectors he raised the issue with the general manager “numerous times” but was told the club needed to meet its targets. “And if we didn’t the doors were shut and fifty people would be out of a job,” Mr Crittenden said.

Lure of free drinks

The same rationale was cited when offering patrons free drinks to encourage them to gamble.

“The Authority is satisfied that these staff members knew that free liquor was being offered and supplied to gaming room patrons as an inducement to prefer this venue and as an inducement to stay longer on the Premises playing gaming machines, in order to generate more gaming machine revenue for the Club,” it said.

Mr Miles, who blamed the culture of the club for the cash advances, also denied instructing staff to provide free alcohol. He characterised the practice was a goodwill gesture that evolved over time and "kept creeping back" if any efforts were made to stop it.

The club’s then-acting general manager Luke Barker told inspectors: “It just got to the point, look, if they, if they wanted it and they were playing the gaming machines you were to provide it”.

Veronica*
Problem gambler Veronica* say free drinks were used to get customers to keep playing.
SBS News
There are 2,522 poker machines in Wollongong’s 37 registered clubs, where players lost more than $70 million in the six months to May 31 this year.

Wollongong problem gambler Veronica*, who has not gambled in three months, said free food and drink were a typical trick used by venues to get you to stay at a machine.

“It’s all about welcoming,” she said. “Do you want a coffee? They bring it to you at the pokie machine. Snacks [too].”

READ MORE
Rooty Hill RSL
'I tried to join an RSL club ... then I asked a difficult question'
'Asleep at the wheel'

The club, which noted it suffered financial loss and reputational damage as a result of Mr Miles’ $1 million fraud, asked the Authority to “exercise clemency” by not imposing a penalty, which would be "extremely detrimental" to its viability.

In its submission to the Authority, Steelers said it relied on Mr Miles to properly run the club, and that all reasonable and appropriate steps had since been taken to avoid a recurrence of the breaches - including a new whistleblower policy.

The Authority, which ordered the club to submit this policy for review, said a substantial penalty was required to act as a deterrence and “reflects the seriousness of the contravention”.

NSW Racing Minister Paul Toole said the government had “zero tolerance for club officials who commit serious offences”.

“People who run clubs must act with the highest integrity and put the interests of their members first,” Mr Toole said.

Alliance for Gambling Reform spokesman Stephen Mayne said called for Mr Newell to resign, saying the longtime Steelers chairman and his fellow board directors had been “asleep at the wheel”.

“This is a staggering report,” Mr Mayne said. “These are extraordinarily bad practices that were going on for many, many years at the Wollongong club where the chairman also happened to be the long term chairman of both Clubs NSW and Clubs Australia – the powerful lobby groups representing pokies clubs across the country.”

“Governance and the oversight and the stewardship was completely absent.”

Steelers said Mr Newell and the club’s current general manager were not available for comment. Clubs NSW declined to comment.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Seems like a federal issue?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Still doesn't change his point.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Update: day 3. Still remain free from apex gang custody.

I'm beginning to suspect the problem is vastly overstated,

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Don Dongington posted:

I hope you survived the tulip terrorism

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Axel Ferguson posted:

It would be lovely, but they were happy to have this published, and he is a finance manager. He should be better at managing his own finances. Who the hell has a 100k personal loan? Why are the repayments for their vehicles so drat high? Why have they not consolidated their debt?

To whine 'we just can't save money, it's impossible!' and also 'we choose a bigger house in a more expensive suburb because...' well thats it then, that and his bad loan choices. It's not impossible to live well on 200k, he's just voluntarily burning that money.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Don Dongington posted:

they fcuken got him midtext! stop immigration!

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

nuke nsw and project ads on the craters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

im alan jones posted:

nuke nsw and project ads on the craters

As someone that lives in NSW, I've always been in favour of people dropping a space colony on us. I guess a nuke would be the next best thing.

• Locked thread