Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Best Buy is running AOC's equivalent of the XB271HU for $480+tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
God drat that's a screaming deal. Something must be right around the corner to be pushing these prices down so far.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

K8.0 posted:

God drat that's a screaming deal. Something must be right around the corner to be pushing these prices down so far.

Yeah, I just paid $494 shipped for a refurb.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I've got a gtx1070 and looking into upgrading my monitor from the budget-ish 1080p one I've been using for the past couple years. If I mostly play RPGs and open world type games and not so much FPSes or other twitchy things, how much of an improved experience am i going to get from gsync? Will offloading sync help my card squeeze out some extra frames if I go for 1440p? is that how things work?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It ultimately comes down to how much you're willing to spend and exactly what you value, but yes, G-Sync is a great feature in general. A 21:9 ultrawide like the AW3418DW would probably be ideal for the games you're talking about, but that's a $900 monitor even on sale.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

I've got a gtx1070 and looking into upgrading my monitor from the budget-ish 1080p one I've been using for the past couple years. If I mostly play RPGs and open world type games and not so much FPSes or other twitchy things, how much of an improved experience am i going to get from gsync? Will offloading sync help my card squeeze out some extra frames if I go for 1440p? is that how things work?

That's not what gsync does but you should be fine at 1440p 60hz with a 1070 for the most part. Some stuff like Witcher 3 kind of things you may have to turn down a few of the more demanding settings. The 1070 is like a 980ti with more VRAM and I get 50-90fps in games with a single 980ti.

Gsync is good for reducing screen tearing and it's a worthwhile thing to have but I wouldn't pay the gsync premium for a 1440p 60hz monitor.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tales of Woe posted:

G-sync on a monitor won't reduce the toll on your GPU really. What it will do is make your monitor not have issues where it's noticeable when framerates bounce around.

There is basically zero reason with a 1070 to get a gsync monitor on a 60Hz monitor, since most if not all games will run at 60 p much all the time. There's no bouncing between framerates really.

If, however, you got a monitor with a higher refresh rate like 144Hz it's highly, highly recommended because it keeps everything very smooth even if you have framerates that bounce around all the time, which you probably will with a 1070.

A friend used a pipe analogy when I was learning about Gsync: a water pump(PC) pumping water(frames) into a pipe(monitor). If the pipe isn't big enough to allow a high flow of water it's inefficient but the water will still come through at a steady, constant rate at the end: the maximum flow rate the pipe allows.

If you get a new pipe that is really big, it can accommodate a lot more water being pumped through it. Even if you're constantly getting more water out of the pipe than you were used to, you'll notice when it fluctuates between a high flowrate and a low flowrate, even if both of those flowrates are higher than what you were accustomed to.

With G-sync, it's like having an additive added to the water so that you get what you think is a healthy, seemingly consistent flow but it's actually a varying amount of ACTUAL water/frames.

I thought it was clever and made me understand what G-sync does and why it's magic to people.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think a better analogy for water would be that the water comes intermittently and there is a gate at the end that also opens intermittently. Gsync is a connection between the gate and the water flow so that the gate opens only when the water is flowing. I dunno.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Thanks, that's helpful. sounds like it's not going to be worth the massive premium to me, as I'm happy running a locked 60fps in pretty much everything.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

Thanks, that's helpful. sounds like it's not going to be worth the massive premium to me, as I'm happy running a locked 60fps in pretty much everything.

You're in 1080p though. When you go up in resolution there are more pixels for your gpu to render and it is more taxing on it so you will see a frame rate hit.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

You're in 1080p though. When you go up in resolution there are more pixels for your gpu to render and it is more taxing on it so you will see a frame rate hit.

yeah i know that much, i guess the question i was trying to answer is if my main goal is to be able to run stuff at 1440p/60fps, is a 144hz/gsync display going to be that much of a better experience for the price given that my card isn't going to push super high frame rates at 1440p.

edit: think I've talked myself into this, looking at the Dell S2716DG as it seems to be the best deal in this space and I'm okay with TN.

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 30, 2018

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I posted about a week ago about being skeptical about how much I would really appreciate gsync. Well I bought a dell s2716dg and tried it with gsync on and gsync off and it really does make a big difference.

Tales of Woe posted:

yeah i know that much, i guess the question i was trying to answer is if my main goal is to be able to run stuff at 1440p/60fps, is a 144hz/gsync display going to be that much of a better experience for the price given that my card isn't going to push super high frame rates at 1440p.

edit: think I've talked myself into this, looking at the Dell S2716DG as it seems to be the best deal in this space and I'm okay with TN.

Games aren’t the only benefit of a high refresh rate. Once you have 144hz set in windows try moving some windows or icons around. Or scrolling in a web page. The smoothness completely caught me off guard and made my whole machine feel faster.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GutBomb posted:

Games aren’t the only benefit of a high refresh rate. Once you have 144hz set in windows try moving some windows or icons around. Or scrolling in a web page. The smoothness completely caught me off guard and made my whole machine feel faster.

This is what's up. It's hard to use my business computer or macs because they feel off after using my 165Hz PC.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

I'm really tempted by the Dell 24" 1440p gsync s2417dg, it seems like it should be fine color wise with a icc profile. Is there anything that should stop me from buying this for $330 off Newegg? It's on sale. I'd rather get a more all in one monitor solution as far as having an ips with decent image quality and gsync, 144hz but I can't see myself spending $500-600 up front when I could buy another 1440p monitor with the price difference that has decent image quality.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

GuyonthecoucH posted:

I'm really tempted by the Dell 24" 1440p gsync s2417dg, it seems like it should be fine color wise with a icc profile. Is there anything that should stop me from buying this for $330 off Newegg? It's on sale. I'd rather get a more all in one monitor solution as far as having an ips with decent image quality and gsync, 144hz but I can't see myself spending $500-600 up front when I could buy another 1440p monitor with the price difference that has decent image quality.

I got mine from Best Buy during their Memorial Day sale for 320. I'm like 95% happy with it. I don't find the color banding too bad except for some egregious examples like in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided which can look pretty bad with it in some areas. But otherwise looks perfectly fine in games like Dragon Quest XI, I see no problems there.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GuyonthecoucH posted:

I got one from Best Buy last week and I really liked it. Color wasn’t an issue. Ultimately I took it back and exchanged it for the 27inch version because I wanted a bigger screen. If you’re satisfied with 24” I would say you will love it.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

Went with it! The 24" 1440p I use at work is fine for the size, hopefully a good icc profile will put any issues to bed. This should be a great upgrade from an aging vg24qe. Might be able to sell that and put it towards a complimentary 60hz 1440p ips. Fingers crossed that gsync will let me stretch out the gtx 970 driving it a little longer.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Does a monitor exist with the following features?
3440x1440 or 3840x1600 resolution
Freesync 100Hz or greater
Curved screen
USB-C
VESA mountable

I've seen panels with the right resolution and refresh rate but no USB-C (ASUS), or ones with USB-C that only go to 75Hz (LG) but nothing with everything I want. I'd also like it to not have idiotic "gamer" styling. I'd like to keep the price to three digits but I'll go higher if that's my only option.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What’s the current state of QC for modern >60 Hz IPS monitors? Toying with the idea of upgrading, but the ASUS and Acer reviews still make it seem quite miserable.

On the other hand, it’s not like my Ultrasharp has perfectly even dimming either.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

butt dickus posted:

Does a monitor exist with the following features?
3440x1440 or 3840x1600 resolution
Freesync 100Hz or greater
Curved screen
USB-C
VESA mountable

I've seen panels with the right resolution and refresh rate but no USB-C (ASUS), or ones with USB-C that only go to 75Hz (LG) but nothing with everything I want. I'd also like it to not have idiotic "gamer" styling. I'd like to keep the price to three digits but I'll go higher if that's my only option.

No all the good panels are reserved for g-sync since AMD cards aren’t strong enough to push those resolutions and refresh rates. Also most USB-C video sources (laptops) are similarly not strong enough, but you can get an adapter.

Also all of the good 3440x1440 monitors look fine once you take off the stand.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

ufarn posted:

What’s the current state of QC for modern >60 Hz IPS monitors? Toying with the idea of upgrading, but the ASUS and Acer reviews still make it seem quite miserable.

On the other hand, it’s not like my Ultrasharp has perfectly even dimming either.

I got an Asus PG279Q this week and didn't really notice any problems.
No dead pixels and backlight bleed/IPS glow isn't an issue as long as you're displaying anything but a completely black screen while sitting in a dark room.
Here's a 25% gray image.

e: even that image is exaggerated a bit by the camera, it looks quite uniform in real life

Tamba fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 2, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ufarn posted:

There's a lot of LG IPS, like the 21:9 ultrawide 1080p monitors, that can push 75hz with no problem and cost around $200: https://www.amazon.com/LG-29UM58-P-21-UltraWide-Monitor/dp/B01B67KAQ4/

I have that model and it's very good and solid QC (no dead pixels or particularly bad backlight bleed), I use the Alienware as my primary now but this is 5+ times cheaper. Great reviews too, and you can return it free on Amazon if it winds up sucking. Mercifully, the LG monitors use a joystick-type button to go through the menus.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

I always feel like monitor tech is right on the edge of producing my ideal monitor. I’d like to replace my Dell U3011 which has served me very well for about 7 years (!). I use it for a little bit of everything, but mainly for games, video watching, and programming. To be honest, I’m still pretty happy with the monitor, but I’m very tempted by things like Gsync and higher refresh rates.

What I’m looking for:
- Size > 30” (ultrawide might be okay, see below)
- Resolution >= 1600p
- Refresh rate >= 120Hz
- Gsync
- HDR maybe?

I’m looking for something that’s at least 30”. I don’t know who decided that 27” is the ideal display size for games, but every “gaming” monitor seems to be that size, and it’s kind of frustrating. Ultrawide might be okay, if it plays nice with low resolution modes. I don’t care if there are huge black bars on either side as long as it can display a 4:3 image centered. (I like to play a lot of old, DOS-era games.)

Using a 16:10 display for so long has spoiled me. Having the extra vertical resolution is really nice for programming and just reading in general. I’m sure I’d get used to a 16:9 1440p display, but ideally, I’d like the extra vertical space. I’d be okay with a 4k+ display as well, but those aren’t easy to find with Gsync and a high refresh rate.

I haven’t actually seen an HDR display in action, so I don’t know if it would be worth having or not. I’d rather have it than not, obviously.

Does my unicorn monitor exist yet? Price isn’t really a concern for something I stare at for 10 hours a day and can use for 5 or more years.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I’m fairly certain that does not exist in the form you’ve described it. 16:10 monitors are exceedingly rare these days, to the point I’m not even sure if there are even any new models coming out. Maybe Eizo has some pro photo editing ones, idk. Disregarding that though, G-sync monitors only come in five resolutions: 1080p, 2560x1080 (21:9), 1440p, 3440x1440 (21:9) and 4K. There are no other options on the market today, and 4K@120Hz is currently only available in a HDR panel that retails at $2000. There are upcoming 4K 120Hz G-sync monitors without HDR at “only” $1300 though, probably in time for the holiday season.

All that being said, I think you pretty much want the standard best gaming monitor money can buy, namely the Dell AW3418DW. It’s as close as you’ll get for the foreseeable future.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The 32" dream monitors are slated for next year. AU Optronics is making panels for those now.

No real replacement for the death of 16:10 except getting a much larger monitor and scaling text back down to the size you're used to working with

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
There are also 4K Ultrawides in the pipe, but seeing as feeding a normal 4K display at 60Hz+ is a challenge, I've a feeling those are going to get the same sliding release schedule as the 27" 4K@120 G-Sync panels.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
My Acer G257HU is about 2 years old and I just noticed there's a strange inch-long crack/tear behind the glass in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen. It's only really noticeable against a white background, and even then only really pronounced when viewed head-on. From my viewing angle, it's only just noticeable and against darker background almost impossible to see. I've no idea how long it's been there, but I'm assuming it's fairly recent. My monitor's in a fairly safe/secure space and I don't remember giving the monitor a big enough knock with anything that may have caused this. I just happened to notice it because I was using a screenwipe to clean the screen. Unless it somehow spreads it's not really worth fussing about, but I'm just curious how common this sort of problem is (or what exactly it is), because I've never seen anything like it before.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Since the backlight is shining through fine, you didn't hurt that, which leaves the panel material (which works by blocking out that light).

It's a crystal, so it shouldn't tear. Guessing cracked or scratched, yeah. It's possible you gave it a small bump a long time ago and started some small fractures, and the changing weather cracked it or something?

Did you originally buy this recertified? Did it take a slight tumble a few months ago? or, any guilty-looking kiddos nearby? If that particular spot keeps growing, it's not a scratch.

Scratching it would be the other thing... if your monitor is super lovely and has actual grit on it, you need to be careful cleaning it. Dragging grit across the monitor can scratch it even with fluid (think "wet grinding"). If it's filthy, you might want to soak it with a gentle lens cleaner fluid of some kind, or with a tiny spritz of distilled water, and try to contain any drips and blot the worst of it off before wiping with a microfiber lens cloth.. Oil or visible residue sometimes happens as the fluid dries, or if you touch your screen and get skin oil on it, but should wipe off with a microfiber lens cloth.

If it's a scratch it's possible the scratch is just part of the matte layer too. It potentially doesn't take much, if you're inspecting real close/in the right light.

Best practice is that nothing that's not microfiber should touch a panel, and you should do a wet pass to get off any grit, then dry the fluid clean. Just treat it like a camera lens or glasses lens, coating scratches happen easily. In a pinch those glasses wipes would do, they are the same as monitor wipes, but they can drag grit.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 3, 2018

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

TheFluff posted:

All that being said, I think you pretty much want the standard best gaming monitor money can buy, namely the Dell AW3418DW. It’s as close as you’ll get for the foreseeable future.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

No real replacement for the death of 16:10 except getting a much larger monitor and scaling text back down to the size you're used to working with

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I realize that 16:10 displays probably aren’t going to be around much longer. Maybe it’s best to rip that band-aid off soon. Also, coming from a 7 year old 60hz monitor, I think something like the AW3418DW would be quite a nice upgrade.

RoboCop 3 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 4, 2018

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's a crystal, so it shouldn't tear. Guessing cracked or scratched, yeah. It's possible you gave it a small bump a long time ago and started some small fractures, and the changing weather cracked it or something?

Did you originally buy this recertified? Did it take a slight tumble a few months ago? or, any guilty-looking kiddos nearby? If that particular spot keeps growing, it's not a scratch.
Yeah, I'm guessing one of the glass filter layers inside cracked for whatever reason. The surface of the monitor is fine and unblemished, and like you said the backlight itself seems to be fine. It was purchased brand new 2 years ago and has sat in exactly the same spot since I unboxed it. I live in Virginia, so it can literally snow one day and be a 90 degree drought the next, so I wouldn't be surprised if fluctuating temperatures caused or exacerbated it. I do have a 7-year-old, so that's a possibility, but my computer's password locked and she only uses it under my supervision (once in a blue moon). She's content to use my PS4 and her own Kindle for games.

Really though it was just a technical curiosity, mainly to see if anyone had any experience of something similar and if it's likely to grow. I'll keep an eye on it, even though for 95% of the time it's not noticeable.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I recently got an Acer X34P, and it's been spectacular - love the form factor, the resolution is great, and I'm not really compromising on refresh rate after coming from a 144hz monitor. No problems with quality; no dead pixels or backlight bleed, etc.

Seemed worth the trip report since the x34p's sibling AW3418DW is getting a lot of attention lately due to all the discounts; but I got this for about the same price as the AW at it's cheapest thus far, no real regrets.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I bought two 32" monitors that are 28.5" inches wide each. I want to mount them (VESA 100x100) as flush to my wall as possible, but preferably not mounted on the on the wall itself, so with a dual arm mount.

Although it's advertised as for "up to 27 inches" , is there any obvious reason this wouldn't work? The arms extend 16.9" each at maximum extension, and I only need them to be 14.5" long in order to reach the middle of each monitor. I figure getting a stand where the arms are extended as far as possible would mean they don't have to bend as much so the monitors could sit closer to my wall. Weight seems ok as it says 18lb each and the actual monitors are only 14lb each.

Sorry for the lameass question, but I live sort of remotely and returning things can be a giant pain in the rear end.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

RoboCop 3 posted:

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I realize that 16:10 displays probably aren’t going to be around much longer. Maybe it’s best to rip that band-aid off soon. Also, coming from a 7 year old 60hz monitor, I think something like the AW3418DW would be quite a nice upgrade.

The 16:10 thing is mostly a non issue as soon as you have more than 1200 vertical pixels.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Hello thread, hoping I can get a little advice on a new screen.

Later this fall I plan on building a new system, it will be my first since like 2011, so basically starting from scratch, including a new monitor. My use case is web browsing, basic office stuff and gaming. I am not a hardcore gamer or anything though and initially I will probably be playing mostly stuff like Hearthstone and WoW. Just cause its not AAA new things though doesnt mean I don't want it to look real good.

Earlier this year we got a BenQ GW2765HT 27" 1440p IPS Monitor for my wife's workstation, and it is pretty cool. Based on that I decided I was done with 1080p. I don't really want to pay the amounts it seems I would need for 4k (especially including the costs of a video card) so, I think I am decided on 1440p, and the 27 size seems about right both for actual use and for costs.

From browsing this thread I see the Acer Predator XB271HU comes recommended, and I might get it. With that as a start point what should I look at as alternatives? I see the Dell Gaming S2716DGR 27.0 is a slightly better price (and doesn't say Predator in big letters on the front...) is there something it is worse at that I don't see? I am open to suggestions both both above and below that $500 price point and also interested in what the thread might recommend for a 1440p 27" NON gsync is I decided I really need to save cash.

Much appreciated.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Refurb XB271HU IPS for $386 with coupon Oct25Save18

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
That is a very tempting deal. Any worries with refurbs?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

emocrat posted:

That is a very tempting deal. Any worries with refurbs?

90 days warranty just make sure if you do decide to get it to run tests for backlight bleed and dead pixels. Otherwise you are good to go.

Maybe buy a square trade warranty from Costco for $50-60 ish?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

out of stock now :(

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
In the discussion, mostly on the previous page, about G-Sync 1440P 144HZ 27inch monitors, I saw little love for the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q.

Is there a specific reason for that? I've been having my eye on that one and other websites seem to recommend it
(
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-gaming-monitors/
https://www.windowscentral.com/best-1440p-monitors
https://www.monitornerds.com/best-1440p-monitors-2018/
)

and its not even more expensive than, for instance, the Acer option.
I find the Acer ugly so that is why I'm not eyeing that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

emocrat posted:

I see the Dell Gaming S2716DGR 27.0 is a slightly better price (and doesn't say Predator in big letters on the front...) is there something it is worse at that I don't see?

It's a TN panel. You don't want that.