Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
guys. we all love gathers and dragoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

tarlibone posted:

It's not both, and any similarities are a coincidence.

some insane mental gymnastics going on in this post

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Gathers was definitely on some MacArthur/Patton poo poo for the S5 preview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC8WMvxzRis

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I can't believe that after today it'll probably be another year or two before we see more new episodes. :smith:

But, at least that's a shorter wait than in the past. :unsmith:

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

get ready for your last spoiler bars, gentlemen. it's been an honor.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It'll be a drat shame, but next year might be time for me to secure all episodes digitally because I don't think we're getting DVD releases for the show ever again in the UK.

But drat this season was a blast. I hope the last episode will rock my socks off.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

achillesforever6 posted:

My favorite Dragoon line read is still the "I was accidentally creating Hip-Hop"

I was always partial to "people will make fun of us because our trousers are out of style"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

420 Gank Mid posted:

some insane mental gymnastics going on in this post

"Mental gymnastics." I don't think that phrase means what you think it means. I stated my position on the inspiration of Hunter Gathers and backed it up with irrefutable evidence quoted directly from the creators of the character in question. I also pointed out that Gathers' smoking device of choice isn't the same as MacArthur's, which it very clearly isn't, unless you think a cigarette holder and a pipe are the same thing. They're not the same thing.

Even Gathers' current costume isn't evidence that he's based on MacArthur. The character was already established and developed by Season 5, which is when he became (and thus started to dress like) the commander of a secret paramilitary organization. Prior to that, his outfits were either costumes or a dark blue jumpsuit accented by white belts and holsters. Either there are pictures I haven't seen of MacArthur going around in that kind of outfit, or when they created Hunter Gathers, they knew that someday he'd be a general who they could make look like a WWII/Korea-era military officer. Or, you know, maybe Jackson was right when he said that he based the character on who he said he based him on.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Billzasilver posted:

get ready for your last spoiler bars, gentlemen. it's been an honor.

Go Team Spoilertags!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Sphinx!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I figure a Go Team Spoilertag image is appropriate. Given the fun but way-too-serious nature of some of our discussions, I thought this might be the best possible image of the boys to use.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tarlibone posted:

"Mental gymnastics." I don't think that phrase means what you think it means. I stated my position on the inspiration of Hunter Gathers and backed it up with irrefutable evidence quoted directly from the creators of the character in question. I also pointed out that Gathers' smoking device of choice isn't the same as MacArthur's, which it very clearly isn't, unless you think a cigarette holder and a pipe are the same thing. They're not the same thing.

Even Gathers' current costume isn't evidence that he's based on MacArthur. The character was already established and developed by Season 5, which is when he became (and thus started to dress like) the commander of a secret paramilitary organization. Prior to that, his outfits were either costumes or a dark blue jumpsuit accented by white belts and holsters. Either there are pictures I haven't seen of MacArthur going around in that kind of outfit, or when they created Hunter Gathers, they knew that someday he'd be a general who they could make look like a WWII/Korea-era military officer. Or, you know, maybe Jackson was right when he said that he based the character on who he said he based him on.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

:eyepop:

Jesus

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Tarlibone why is this so extremely hard for you.

They based Gathers on Thompson.

They later used MacArthur iconography in order to communicate things quickly. They also used Patton imagery. These things are obvious references that have nothing to do with Hunter S Thompson.

No, that does not mean he has the personality of Patton or MacArthur.

But also just because you trot out a quote from season one that he's based on Thompson doesn't mean that he can't later take on additional roles or styles that reference other historic people.

Christ dude.

"Everybody is entitled to their opinion" only works for opinions. This is a dispute of fact, what is in the show and what was intended or used by the creators. We may not know that for certain, but that doesn't make it an "everybody is equally right" scenario.

E: this is all clear from context but you're so unwilling to give anybody the benefit of the doubt because you really want to dunk on someone and tell them they're wrong even though they aren't, and then :ironicat: you end with "everyone is entitled to their opinion" lmao, so the opinion that you're arguing against so hard is valid too? Cool man, thx.

Seriously tarlibone are you trolling?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 5, 2018

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

They later used MacArthur iconography in order to communicate things quickly. They also used Patton imagery. These things are obvious references that have nothing to do with Hunter S Thompson.

No, that does not mean he has the personality of Patton or MacArthur.

But also just because you trot out a quote from season one that he's based on Thompson doesn't mean that he can't later take on additional roles or styles that reference other historic people.

Christ dude.

"Everybody is entitled to their opinion" only works for opinions. This is a dispute of fact, what is in the show and what was intended or used by the creators. We may not know that for certain, but that doesn't make it an "everybody is equally right" scenario.

E: this is all clear from context but you're so unwilling to give anybody the benefit of the doubt because you really want to dunk on someone and tell them they're wrong even though they aren't, and then :ironicat: you end with "everyone is entitled to their opinion" lmao, so the opinion that you're arguing against so hard is valid too? Cool man, thx.

Actually when I met him in the men's room at comic con Jackson Public told me he was actually based on Atilla the Hun and the whole Hunter S Thomson/Douglas Macarthur connections are a red herring

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

And so the thread meltdown begins prematurely

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

420 Gank Mid posted:

Actually when I met him in the men's room at comic con Jackson Public told me he was actually based on Atilla the Hun and the whole Hunter S Thomson/Douglas Macarthur connections are a red herring
Just like communism.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Peeny Cheez posted:

Just like communism.

Who are you , Perry Mason?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
How in the gently caress am I on zaphods side for this

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

What is "MacArthur iconography?" Generals all kind-of wear the same things, hence the word "uniform." What other icons specific to MacArthur are being employed?

I believe that the similarities described between Hunter and MacArthur are superficial because nobody has pointed out any that 1) can't also be attributed to Hunter S. Thompson, and/or 2) can't also be attributed to any number of post-WWII-era military commanders. That's my standard for believing that they're basing a character, in whole or in part, at his inception or later in his development, on a specific historical figure.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's true. I'm just unconvinced that Gathers' development is even partially based on MacArthur with the evidence presented.

Zaphod42 posted:

I wasn't suggesting that everybody was equally right, seeing as how I was able to support my position.

That the character was further influenced by MacArthur is an opinion, and will remain so until it's confirmed or refuted by people with first-hand knowledge. I don't have to see that confirmation before I'll believe it, but I do have to see something more convincing than what's been presented. And that is where "everyone is entitled to an opinion" applies. I haven't been convinced that this fan theory is true. I could be wrong, and I have been a few times in this season alone, but I'm not buying it at this time.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Cant we just look in our venture book for notes on gathers?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I didn't see this until after I posted.

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not trolling. My previous post indicates what I need to see in order to believe the theory.

I'm sorry if it's coming off like I want to dunk on someone who I think is wrong. That's not my intention, and if it comes off that way, then that's on me, and I apologize. I'm just the kind of person who looks at a theory and weighs evidence; it's silly when it's a cartoon, but it's what I do. I state my opinion and back it up as best I can; in turn, I expect others to do the same, and then we get to discuss, argue, shout, whatever.

And just to be clear: I'm fully aware that I've been wrong many times, and it doesn't really bother me because if I could guess every move this show was going to make, I wouldn't wait for years between seasons just to see what happens next. Case in point: You could not have convinced me that the run-down house at the end of Season 5 was Monarch's childhood home, because... well, it was just a run-down home, and what were the odds that the Ventureverse had only one of those that villains might flock to? Season 6's premiere proved me ultra-wrong super-hard, and this was something that a few of us argued about a lot on other forums. Had to take a few lumps there.

Maybe I'm weird, but taking a stand on a stupid thing and ultimately being proven wrong is kind-of fun. I know from experience. You win some, you lose some, but in the end, you've done something extremely important: you've argued a meaningless point about a work of fiction on the Internet.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 5, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Shut up

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

tarlibone posted:

Maybe I'm weird, but taking a stand on a stupid thing and ultimately being proven wrong is kind-of fun. I know from experience. You win some, you lose some, but in the end, you've done something extremely important: you've argued a meaningless point about a work of fiction on the Internet.

I want to be the first to apologize for kinkshaming tarlibone

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Happy Finale day folks.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Sad day but I am glad I was able to take advantage of two of the shirt club offerings.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Hey guess what? Nobody cares who would win in a crazy fantasy fist fight between Hunter S Thompson and Douglas MacArthur!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Tiger Crazy posted:

Sad day but I am glad I was able to take advantage of two of the shirt club offerings.

I didn't order any shirts this year, and I haven't been following it religiously. How would you rate this year's offerings? Usually, to me, it seems like there are a couple of great ones, a few "meh" ones that are basically the Venture Bros. equivalent of "Do you have stairs in your house?", and the rest are "Oh yeah, I remember that from that episode." Which, to be fair, is the whole point, and something that they freely admit to in the book.

pablo gbscobar posted:

Hey guess what? Nobody cares who would win in a crazy fantasy fist fight between Hunter S Thompson and Douglas MacArthur!

... ... you know, I think I've cluttered this thread up enough with my nonsense over the last couple of months. But rest assured, I already know the answer to this question, and can back it up with mind-numbingly wordy posts of pure, blazing cereal-box logic. So let's just pretend that I did that instead of posting this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tarlibone posted:

I'm not trolling. My previous post indicates what I need to see in order to believe the theory.

I'm sorry if it's coming off like I want to dunk on someone who I think is wrong. That's not my intention, and if it comes off that way, then that's on me, and I apologize. I'm just the kind of person who looks at a theory and weighs evidence; it's silly when it's a cartoon, but it's what I do. I state my opinion and back it up as best I can; in turn, I expect others to do the same, and then we get to discuss, argue, shout, whatever.

And just to be clear: I'm fully aware that I've been wrong many times, and it doesn't really bother me because if I could guess every move this show was going to make, I wouldn't wait for years between seasons just to see what happens next. Case in point: You could not have convinced me that the run-down house at the end of Season 5 was Monarch's childhood home, because... well, it was just a run-down home, and what were the odds that the Ventureverse had only one of those that villains might flock to? Season 6's premiere proved me ultra-wrong super-hard, and this was something that a few of us argued about a lot on other forums. Had to take a few lumps there.

I'm guilty of this myself too, but try to be more open minded about it. Saying something like "I really don't think its based on MacArthur guys, I don't see it. Why specifically do you think MacArthur and not just like any old general?" leaves the door open for some back and forth and maybe you might be right or maybe you're not right. "It's not both, and any similarities are a coincidence. Jackson Public clearly states this." is pretty definitive.

Like luxury handset said last page, we're in violent agreement really. What we have here is failure to communicate :cheeky:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 5, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm guilty of this myself too, but try to be more open minded about it. Saying something like "I really don't think its based on MacArthur guys, I don't see it. Why specifically do you think MacArthur and not just like any old general?" leaves the door open for some back and forth and maybe you might be right or maybe you're not right. "It's not both, and any similarities are a coincidence. Jackson Public clearly states this." is pretty definitive.

Like luxury handset said last page, we're in violent agreement really. What we have here is failure to communicate :cheeky:

"We're in violent agreement" is a turn of phrase I could easily have seen Hunter S Thompson use, so very appropriate

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I can live with "violent agreement."

Anyway... the stream is showing last week's episode. Or is it just me?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Sooo... the stream is showing last week's episode...

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

tarlibone posted:

I can live with "violent agreement."

Anyway... the stream is showing last week's episode. Or is it just me?

Not just you, the stream really is showing last week's episode.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
why has adult swim chosen to troll me like this

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
They just Big O'd it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

hughesta posted:

why has adult swim chosen to troll me like this

They're not trolling you. It's just that, and it pains me to say this, but I suspect that...

... the person in charge of the live stream premiere is a bungler! A BUNGLER, I SAY!!

Edit: Here we go!!

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 5, 2018

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
.... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, I was wrong about the teleporter's fate.

E:
ha! Brock isn't trapped in the building with the Blackout team... they're locked in there with him.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 5, 2018

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Wow, going to need so many spoiler bars. Holy poo poo. Also, Bobbi St. Simone! We have a name

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
So.

Many.

Bars.

Jesus Christ, Dean's dialog is nothing but spoiler bars!!!!!!

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Like holy loving spoiler bars

edit: more spoiler bars

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 5, 2018

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I want to cry.

Number Two.

And how reliable is Action Man? Maybe in the Ventureverse, comaland is a place you can go to when you're in a coma or something? It would explain Phage's presence, and his knowledge of how he got there, which neither Hank nor Action Man would have any reason to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
Now the wait begins :argh: