Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Goku never did have a mother figure. :v: Also yeah forgot Sayian don’t age til like god knows how long (80 I think?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Gine showing up would probably be a net gain for everybody wanting more slice of life stuff. I mean I don't but she'd be good as the doting grandmother/great grandmother to Piccolo's grumpy uncle thing.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

rare Magic card l00k posted:

There is negative chance that's true, but I want it to be because it'd be really dumb.

There's literally no downside except if you care about lore or whatever in which case I'll remind you Toriyama forgot about a whole character he drew for years,got Android 18's hair color wrong, and Torotaro reminds him of stuff he made on the regular.

Also Broly movies must be so dumb and so goddamn cool it's a law of the multiverse.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I want a badass grandma saiyan. I know saiyans age weird but I want old lady saiyan to pop out of a pod and punch someone through a mountain.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I hope Gine never shows up again in anything

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Wasn't Gine too weak to even stay on the battlefield? That's saying a lot considering this is a Saiyan we're talking about.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Glagha posted:

I want a badass grandma saiyan. I know saiyans age weird but I want old lady saiyan to pop out of a pod and punch someone through a mountain.

Fusions' got you covered there.

Also I don't care about Gine surviving or not but I hope at least the "Toriyama didn't retcon everything" part is true because...god. I really hate Minus. It doesn't even work with the manga, since there's no reason Freeza would remember Bardock in this interpretation (also Bardock and Freeza are both using completely different outfits...and Freeza is suddenly PINK PINK PINK, but let's ignore that).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Glagha posted:

Her whole character is she sucks really bad so sorry about that

Like DB doesn’t need more side characters who do nothing

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

TheLoneStar posted:

Wasn't Gine too weak to even stay on the battlefield? That's saying a lot considering this is a Saiyan we're talking about.

weak for a Saiyan so she could probably beat Krillin up

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

First thing she does is ask Goku how his brother is doing.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Y’all really still holding out for Raditz

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rhonne posted:

First thing she does is ask Goku how his brother is doing.

Then warn him about the evil Freeza.

I kinda want Gine now. Goku doesn't get nagged enough by Chi Chi, Bulma and Beerus.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Raditz got his fighting skills from her.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Shindragon posted:

The kid part of me still wants Raditz and Nappa to be wished back.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Has goku ever cried?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Shinjobi posted:

Has goku ever cried?

Probably when he got punched in the balls by Android 13.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Bumper Stickup posted:

Gine showing up would probably be a net gain for everybody wanting more slice of life stuff. I mean I don't but she'd be good as the doting grandmother/great grandmother to Piccolo's grumpy uncle thing.

Also this just because is cute

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Has goku ever cried?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCEWp_qN5jI

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Shindragon posted:

I'm going to laugh if we get an extended flashback to Goku's childhood with the Saiyans and never see Raditz.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Shinjobi posted:

Has goku ever cried?

Three times:

First is seeing his grandpa alive again thanks to Baba

Second is when Tambourine killed Krillin

Third is when Roshi nearly died in the ToP, though that’s strictly a Toei invention.

He also cries when Android 8 dies in the Path to Power movie.

Also, 1st form Freeza is actually pink in the manga, not purple, so get over it.

Minus doesn’t retcon anything from the manga, and I’m getting some real schadenfreude reading reactions of people mad that loving Bardock’s special of all things is no longer canon. It was never good. Also, Toriyama remembered Raditz twice in Minus, so we’ll probably see him show up in the movie.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

SirKibbles posted:

There's literally no downside except if you care about lore or whatever in which case I'll remind you Toriyama forgot about a whole character he drew for years,got Android 18's hair color wrong, and Torotaro reminds him of stuff he made on the regular.

Also Broly movies must be so dumb and so goddamn cool it's a law of the multiverse.

I never said it'd be bad, just that it'd be dumb. Dragon Ball is Extremely Dumb.

The moment I'd see something like this I'd probably go 'aww :3:' though and be "this rules".

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

CharlestheHammer posted:

Her whole character is she sucks really bad so sorry about that

Like DB doesn’t need more side characters who do nothing

Much like Broly Gine could be good if she were an entirely different character.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Nanigans posted:

Three times:

First is seeing his grandpa alive again thanks to Baba

Second is when Tambourine killed Krillin

Third is when Roshi nearly died in the ToP, though that’s strictly a Toei invention.

He also cries when Android 8 dies in the Path to Power movie.

Also, 1st form Freeza is actually pink in the manga, not purple, so get over it.

Minus doesn’t retcon anything from the manga, and I’m getting some real schadenfreude reading reactions of people mad that loving Bardock’s special of all things is no longer canon. It was never good. Also, Toriyama remembered Raditz twice in Minus, so we’ll probably see him show up in the movie.

People like the special, it’s always been popular why are you acting like it’s this hated thing.

The special is literally the only good thing with Bardock in it.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

TheLoneStar posted:

She had the Gohan problem less I'm too weak more maybe killing people sucks idk

Glagha posted:

:hmmyes:

Momomo posted:

Much like Broly Gine could be good if she were an entirely different character.

Hey they're rectconning so much she might be at the moment she doesn't really have a character.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CharlestheHammer posted:

People like the special, it’s always been popular why are you acting like it’s this hated thing.

The special is literally the only good thing with Bardock in it.

Yeah the Bardock Special is literally the entire reason why the character exists so it's :confused: to act like it's this weird side thing (as far as Bardock goes). It's the only reason anyone would have to like the character, unless you're saying his popularity comes from Episode of Bardock.

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 5, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nanigans posted:

That's cute and all but I'd suggest you reread the manga sometime this decade because...uhh...yeah, Toriyama's memory did strike again. Finding the actual panel would be a pain in the rear end but thankfully, someone already did it for me! (video starts at the right time, though I'd recommend watching it all because it's really good)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad3Y2qMaDf0&t=220s

IKevin is a godsend, he has all the memory Toriyama lacks. His FighterZ videos are impressive.

Also you can get whatever the gently caress you wish bud, this isn't GT we're talking about, the Bardock special was always liked by part of the fandom (and, as far as we knew, Toriyama himself, hence the panel shown on the linked video).

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Nanigans posted:

What does that mean? The anime is what's canon in Super.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i never watched the special or read minus so i guess i'll just go into this with fresh eyes

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So would her name be pronounced Gine as in negó or Gine as in Aubergine

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Evil Canadian posted:

What does that mean? The anime is what's canon in Super.

It means Toei made something good Toriyama had nothing to do with, which was a pretty common thing in that arc.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
People can like whatever they want, that doesn’t make it good or mean everyone has to like it. I’ve enjoyed people’s meltdowns over “muh bardock-sama!!” :qq: far more than his mediocre (non-canon) special. The character has never been good, so I don’t care that, surprise, Toriyama ignored something he didn’t write.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Your a weird little man

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Having different opinions in this thread is apparently tantamount to murder, so I guess I’ll drop it and enjoy the movie (and everyone that is wringing their hands in anger).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I wasn’t talking about different opinions but the fact you seem to actually enjoy the fans of the character feeling like the character getting poo poo on.

That’s weird my dude

Don’t try and play the different opinions thing man

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I guess one of these days I'll have to read minus since I'd never bothered before and it'll be at least somewhat relevant to the movie

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bardock isn't a very good movie; but when we were younger and all we had were the specials and the first 13 movies or so, especially those that were watching subbed - that's one of the best we had for a while, so it makes sense it would hold in people's nostalgia.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I guess one of these days I'll have to read minus since I'd never bothered before and it'll be at least somewhat relevant to the movie

go for the power move of not bothering and just see what happens in the movie imo

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Manatee Cannon posted:

This is me.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Darko posted:

Bardock isn't a very good movie; but when we were younger and all we had were the specials and the first 13 movies or so, especially those that were watching subbed - that's one of the best we had for a while, so it makes sense it would hold in people's nostalgia.

It's not a great movie but it's good as a story that takes place in the overall Dragon Ball but with a way different time/place/tone. I want the events to have happened, basically. Looks like the flashback stuff in Broly is going over the same time and/or events, so that works just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The lack of armor/bandana in the movie is such a minuscule change that it's seriously baffling to me that people could be so upset, but to each their own.

I was never a fan of the Bardock special, so I had no particular attachment to him as a character either. When Minus came out, I thought it was fine, and didn't get the sudden hate, but I didn't begrudge anyone for disliking it. It's only when certain super obnoxious people started flailing their arms like it was a holocaust that I admit I got a giddy thrill out of their grief.

Apologies for being an rear end in a top hat about it.

In any case, I'm probably going to enjoy this movie, especially the sick animation and hope everyone else does too. God bless.