Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Forgot to mention the start battle with en-element LMRs are pretty good as well, and AFAIK are not replicated in any LM2s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There's Sora, though you can't get him outside the Kingdom Hearts event. Maybe when Kingdom Hearts 3's release date rolls around he'll get reissued.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sora's LM2s (he gets 3 of them, one each for fire, ice and lightning) do also follow the pattern of being better than the LMR version, as all 3 give haste in addition to the enelement.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Hades seems to move really loving fast. I started casting Alma BSB right after his move 4 and his Black Cauldron at move 6 still went off before it. Is this one of those fights that practically requires two healers?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hades has a bit of a running start compared to the other Magicites (he starts at 625 SPD compared to their 550) but by the fight's end they're all running at the same SPD.

His damage isn't as relentless or unpredictable as, say, Tiamat, but he does demand careful knowledge of his potential AI script (especially if you're blinking for his statuses). Like most Magicites, the faster you can go, the more relaxed you can be about healing.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i used to think my holy team was good but then i hit hades and apparently the dude is plated in a thick layer of bullshit

i've got two kills but no way am i farming someone that tedious without a second top-tier holy usb

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Hades seems to move really loving fast. I started casting Alma BSB right after his move 4 and his Black Cauldron at move 6 still went off before it. Is this one of those fights that practically requires two healers?

I single healed it on my one clear, but Elarra USB counts as like 1.5 healers. Not to mention that an unlucky Black Cauldron is basically an immediate restart if the wrong conditions get applied. Count me also in the not bothering to farm Hades camp.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

saltylopez posted:

unlucky Black Cauldron

An un-Astraed black cauldron is an S/L, you can get really lucky and have only your healer blinded or something, but if your strategy relies on hoping that happens, definitely don't farm this guy. The good thing is that you know exactly when they are coming, so you can time things accordingly, and, if you DPS hard enough, you never even have to see a status-causing black cauldron.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

JP players, have they done any Wondrous BSB selections with Ignis BSB in the last 6 months? I would totally buy it for $5 but 3000 gems is steep (for future gem draws, not this coming one).

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

eelmonger posted:

An un-Astraed black cauldron is an S/L, you can get really lucky and have only your healer blinded or something, but if your strategy relies on hoping that happens, definitely don't farm this guy. The good thing is that you know exactly when they are coming, so you can time things accordingly, and, if you DPS hard enough, you never even have to see a status-causing black cauldron.

Yeah, I tried getting through it with Larsa spamming his USB but he just didn't have the healing output to keep up. I was very fortunate in my successful clear to get only manageable status effects.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
So what I'm getting is that he's an entire bouquet of dicks and Unicorn alone isn't enough Astra to get through him. Raijin SSB strat probably won't help either?

I might try with two healers.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You can Magic Blink through the Cauldrons, if it helps.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Thundercracker posted:

This new Ignis bsb meta is legit. Shaved a full 10 secs off of my Tiamat run. Also finally a reason to full dive Morrow now.

drat, and here I thought having his USB was the gem. Maybe I need to go rebuild some teams around the BSB instead. Glad I've already dived Ignis.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

His USB is better for overall party damage, assuming you have enough good dps characters. His BSB is mainly for if you have one good dps character that you want to stack the hell out of.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

MarquiseMindfang posted:

So what I'm getting is that he's an entire bouquet of dicks and Unicorn alone isn't enough Astra to get through him. Raijin SSB strat probably won't help either?

I might try with two healers.

Raijin SSB will help if it speeds up your damage enough to skip the cauldrons. I used Aphmau's USB to do that and had unicorn absorb one of the stuns. I guess you can eat one cauldron with unicorn, but you basically need to sub28-ish him to be safe.

If you're okay with a lot of RNG, affliction break can give you a chance. With two healers you might even be able to push through a few bad statuses and maybe even afford to drop dark resist accessories for status resist. But yeah, this guy is a giant rear end in a top hat and I'm glad I don't have to fight him ever again.

Kumog
Dec 28, 2006
Am I your god?

I, Garland, will KNOCK YOU ALL DOWN!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

You can Magic Blink through the Cauldrons, if it helps.

Yeah. I've got a pretty stable (though not fast, thanks to lowered DPS) Hades team of Rosa USB/Larsa BSB/WoL Chain/TGC USB/Ramza BSB2. I could totally farm Hades if I needed to, but not for arcana since it's about a 45s run. The bonus is that Rosa and Larsa together mean I don't need as much Status Blink, so I can swap out front-side Unicorn for Evrae instead.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You can also skip every black cauldron if you have enough dps, which coincidentally is about the same dps you need to sub-30.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hey, just stopping by to say that the FF4 torment and having to either put Kain in slot 1 and time his jump perfectly or let a character die is extremely bullshit. Thanks for listening.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Does FF4 have any sources of Last Stand? I've got a 280 team in the works with Aerith USB2 but that's obviously out of the question for people attempting DWhale.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

Does FF4 have any sources of Last Stand? I've got a 280 team in the works with Aerith USB2 but that's obviously out of the question for people attempting DWhale.
Edge's USB0 SSB

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Porom USB provides Last Stand, as does Ursula/Edge SSB.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Also Pecil's USB3, but that's not until next fest.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

Just in case you're thinking of using Last Stand to deal with the 99999 hit on slot 1, it won't work. It also applies auto-hit IKO.

Why? Because gently caress you.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Porom's USB ALSO provides Reraise!
:retrogames:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
There needs to be a buff to reraise effects where you keep the buffs you had while you were alive. Probably too hard to program into a regular raise but I don't see why not on a reraise ability/SB

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Fister Roboto posted:

Hey, just stopping by to say that the FF4 torment and having to either put Kain in slot 1 and time his jump perfectly or let a character die is extremely bullshit. Thanks for listening.

You don't have to put Kain there, you can use ... Kimahri's? ... attack->Jump RM on anyone. Just FYI. Also Calcabrina is tuned so that you don't really need 5 party members if you have a decent enough remaining 4 (primarily Rosa USB1, Edge SSB2 aka USB0, and some sort of DPS USB for another character). I beat d??? Calca in JP with Kain existing solely as a buffbot via a shared SB.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sorry, I forgot to add the usual disclaimer of "unless you have a ton of really good relics that let you ignore most of the fight".

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Thundercracker posted:

There needs to be a buff to reraise effects where you keep the buffs you had while you were alive. Probably too hard to program into a regular raise but I don't see why not on a reraise ability/SB

"Reraise but you keep your buffs" is just Last Stand that triggers an HP Stock.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Reraise with X seconds of immunity would be a good compromise. Your character won't keep their buffs, but they at least won't die again to the next attack.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Aphmau's LM2 should be the default Reraise effect, yeah.

e; And a question: There's no way to dodge Dispel, right?

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 6, 2018

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Don't have buffs. :haw:

If an attack has a Dispel effect (for instance, Ixion's Aeroburst attacks, which count as ranged physical and can be blinked) then you can dodge it. If it's just Dispel, the spell, there's no avoiding it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Sorry, I forgot to add the usual disclaimer of "unless you have a ton of really good relics that let you ignore most of the fight".

Yes, two ancient relics (one of them an SSB and the other pretty outdated at this point) and an indeterminate third relic is definitely "a ton of really good relics".

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Just in case you're thinking of using Last Stand to deal with the 99999 hit on slot 1, it won't work. It also applies auto-hit IKO.

Why? Because gently caress you.
Honestly that seems to be the the design standpoint for the entire concept of auto-hit status effects or superboss attacks with the "ignores blinks" tag. All this gear for minor/moderate/major resistance? Ha ha it does nothing. Oh well, at least this gives me the opportunity to swap Rydia into the fight because I don't explicitly need Aerith USB2 (as opposed to the several other instacast SBs in my arsenal), and to have fun with making someone jump who really shouldn't be.

Also I have no clue how I forgot about Edge SSB because I have the drat thing even if I rarely use it.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Aphmau's LM2 should be the default Reraise effect, yeah.

If a dispel is WHT-typed (moderately common for pure dispels without extra effects), you can eat it with the High Runic status from most Celes or Exdeath SBs that say they absorb spells. In fact it's only Celes' ancient SB, Runic Blade, which doesn't absorb WHT effects.

Edit: Regardless of its commonality you should still check the AI. It's almost always the case that JP has had the exact same fight before, unchanged, so you can look up what they had to verify ability types.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 6, 2018

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Zurai posted:

Yes, two ancient relics (one of them an SSB and the other pretty outdated at this point) and an indeterminate third relic is definitely "a ton of really good relics".

gently caress off with that ”only a ssb :smug:”. You know (or should know) well enough that Edge’s SSB2 is one of the best end game relics in the entire game and is completely unattainable for the current player base.

Rosa’s USB isn’t outdated for the fight either and it’s not like IV has a ton of top quality USBs to begin with. Look at the USB select choices for IV.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Speaking of the USB select, I’m trying to pick between OK mUSB and Tyro’s godwall. On the one hand, Tyro’s is a huge slot saver for magicite and I already have his LMR for getting it up ASAP, but I feel like he’s so mediocre at anything approaching a throughput role that he’s always stuck being a support. I usually have my support be my boost, though I guess I could swap to using Fabula Raider?

On the other hand, OK seems like he’d be a fairly decent all-purpose magic DPS with his ultra, and while I don’t have his LMR I could do that select as well? I feel like my magic boost situation is way worse than my physical because I don’t really have anyone like Ramza for it, and magic just generally wanting more boosts because of soft caps and no 50% boosts without gen2 chains.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm seriously considering getting Godwall and Tyro LMR in the dream draws. How useful would that be for all the nutorments and 5* magicites? I would obviously also LD Tyro.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

gently caress off with that ”only a ssb :smug:”. You know (or should know) well enough that Edge’s SSB2 is one of the best end game relics in the entire game and is completely unattainable for the current player base.

Rosa’s USB isn’t outdated for the fight either and it’s not like IV has a ton of top quality USBs to begin with. Look at the USB select choices for IV.

I suspect his point was more that a lot of people do have Edge's SSB2 by this point. Particularly in JP, as the Crystal Tower draws a bit ago started to offer a free SSB or Unique selection with your pull. It's how I got it. :v:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

I didn't say "it's only a ssb :smug:" so gently caress off with that putting words in my mouth poo poo. Context. I was referring to how old it is. Seriously, Edge's SSB2 is loving ancient, and so is Rosa's USB.

And yes, Rosa's USB is very outdated now. It's your best choice for FF4 healer relic but it's not even in the list of best healer relics in general now.

And even taking all your objections as gospel, it STILL doesn't amount to "a ton" of relics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm seriously considering getting Godwall and Tyro LMR in the dream draws. How useful would that be for all the nutorments and 5* magicites? I would obviously also LD Tyro.

For magicites, with Godwall ‘all’ you need is a gen2 chain and you’ve got the major buffs handled, letting you take the healing RW if you want.

Core characters don’t get synergy in the neotorments so it won’t help you clear any D??? ones (unless they add a core one), and you get Wall by default in them so really it’s just a one stop shop for proshellhastega in 280 if you can’t fit them all in given the good relics you have in-realm.