Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Have you heard of the high elves Valerie's beauty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Taear posted:

It'd be nice if there was an easier way to see how to get prestige classes.

I got the list by scrolling down to the bottom in chargen and the prerequisites are there. The requirements are:

Arcane Trickster: Trickery 4, Mobility 4, Knowledge (Arcana) 4, Sneak Attack 2(d6, I assume), 2nd level arcane spells
Stalwart Defender: Dodge, Toughness, base attack bonus +7
Eldritch Knight: Martial weapons proficiency, 3rd level arcane spells
Dragon Disciple: Knowledge (Arcana) 5, spontaneously cast 1st level arcane spells
Mystic Theurge: Knowledge (Arcana) 3, Lore (Religion) 3, 2nd level arcane spells, 2nd level divine spells
Duelist: Mobility 2, Dodge, Weapon Finesse, Combat Mobility, base attack bonus +6

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Prism posted:

I got the list by scrolling down to the bottom in chargen and the prerequisites are there. The requirements are:

Arcane Trickster: Trickery 4, Mobility 4, Knowledge (Arcana) 4, Sneak Attack 2(d6, I assume), 2nd level arcane spells
Dragon Disciple: Knowledge (Arcana) 5, spontaneously cast 1st level arcane spells
Mystic Theurge: Knowledge (Arcana) 3, Lore (Religion) 3, 2nd level arcane spells, 2nd level divine spells
Duelist: Mobility 2, Dodge, Weapon Finesse, Combat Mobility, base attack bonus +6

Thanks. At least Dragon Disciple is how it is in the P&P game.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Prism posted:

In all honesty, most of the companions are built to allow easy entry into various prestige classes. Octavia into Trickster and Valerie into Stalwart Defender are the blatantly obvious ones, but Regongar into Dragon Disciple is easily accomplished, and Tristian certainly has the stats to do Theurge (via a Sorcerer of some variety). That really only leaves Eldritch Knight and Duelist as lacking companions that easily slot into them. Okay that's a slight lie, as Nok-Nok could get into Duelist easily enough - don't actually do that though, as UC Rogue is much better for him - and I suppose you could slot Regongar into Knight as well, but that'd be utterly pointless.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

In all honesty, most of the companions are built to allow easy entry into various prestige classes. Octavia into Trickster and Valerie into Stalwart Defender are the blatantly obvious ones, but Regongar into Dragon Disciple is easily accomplished, and Tristian certainly has the stats to do Theurge (via a Sorcerer of some variety). That really only leaves Eldritch Knight and Duelist as lacking companions that easily slot into them. Okay that's a slight lie, as Nok-Nok could get into Duelist easily enough - don't actually do that though, as UC Rogue is much better for him - and I suppose you could slot Regongar into Knight as well, but that'd be utterly pointless.

Octavia does it automatically if you let the game level her. Otherwise they're quite low down and I never even look at them, I just clicked on the class they're already on to level them up.

In a similar vein I'm finding it REALLY hard to stay Chaotic Good because it comes up so rarely, it's always chaotic evil.

I'm going to say that if it was turn based I might pay more attention but as it is with 4 spellcasters that all have huge spell libraries I just barely ever cast any spells because it's so much loving hassle. I don't even buff. There's too much going on and no reason to care. Like it's not going to make these fights more fun, it'll just make them take longer and this game is all about things taking long enough as it is!

Just got myself a weapon called Dogsilcer +1. I'm not sure if it's meant to be called silcer, perhaps it is. The description says "Nais, sharp, edgeeee" anyway, so maybe it is deliberate, who knows with this game.

Taear fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 5, 2018

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Taear posted:

Octavia does it automatically if you let the game level her. Otherwise they're quite low down and I never even look at them, I just clicked on the class they're already on to level them up.

I'm going to say that if it was turn based I might pay more attention but as it is with 4 spellcasters that all have huge spell libraries I just barely ever cast any spells because it's so much loving hassle. I don't even buff. There's too much going on and no reason to care. Like it's not going to make these fights more fun, it'll just make them take longer and this game is all about things taking long enough as it is!

Just got myself a weapon called Dogsilcer +1. I'm not sure if it's meant to be called silcer, perhaps it is. The description says "Nais, sharp, edgeeee" anyway, so maybe it is deliberate, who knows with this game.

I think that's intended, at least I assumed it was. It's an exemplary speciman of Goblin weapon design after all!

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taear posted:

In a similar vein I'm finding it REALLY hard to stay Chaotic Good because it comes up so rarely, it's always chaotic evil.

Typo.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

On the other hand, this is just some other type of magic weapon given that name. By goblins. So even if it's accidental, it makes perfect sense and works fine!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

On the other hand, this is just some other type of magic weapon given that name. By goblins. So even if it's accidental, it makes perfect sense and works fine!

Naa there's too many typos as it is. I'm hyper aware of them and it always takes me out of the game if it says "loose" instead of "lose" especially if it happens interchangeably in a sentence for example. Which it often does!

Another chapter 3 spoiler.
Kastven being shocked when the portals grew in the prisoners and turned them into owlbears and then saying the prison back at the Capital must be overrun - but we know how to cure the problem and exactly why it happens, why would it be overrun?

It's sort of a pain that if you assign an adviser to something that you can't afford and then click off it the adviser stays assigned and the game tells you they're doing it. I've had my treasurer on something he wasn't actually doing for a while without realising.

Taear fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 5, 2018

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

Aw dang, they fixed the bug that let Linzi learn Octavia's spells in any spell slots. I have Displacement as a level 2 bard spell and Haste as a level 1 bard spell

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So, I don't usually multiclass. Is an Eldritch Scion Magus/Dragon Disciple as fun as it sounds? Or is there some sort of snag that makes it bad?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Invisible spiders that can damage your stats can gently caress off. As well as my pet being able to die properly when it's on Story mode!
Is there any way at all to actually see how much health my Boar even has? As far as I can see there isn't. Unless it's those health bars that appear and disappear, I can never see what health anything has.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Gonna make an ugly necromancer and creep on Valerie.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Again chapter 3.

I'm in the First World. The guide I'm following (because I can absolutely never work out what the gently caress to do) tells me to put my little caged bird on the dias and use the fire near the gnome. But the gnome has vanished and there is no fire. What the hell do I do?
I keep reloading in case something is bugged and having to watch the super slow unskippable dialogue is really frustrating me.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

Again chapter 3.

I'm in the First World. The guide I'm following (because I can absolutely never work out what the gently caress to do) tells me to put my little caged bird on the dias and use the fire near the gnome. But the gnome has vanished and there is no fire. What the hell do I do?
I keep reloading in case something is bugged and having to watch the super slow unskippable dialogue is really frustrating me.

Walk into the mists right by the dais, there are two instances of that room reached by going left and right. It sucks.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Eox posted:

Walk into the mists right by the dais, there are two instances of that room reached by going left and right. It sucks.

Do I have to unequip my lantern then?

And the answer is yes. I have no idea how I'd have worked any of this out, it seems so random and obtuse.

Taear fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 6, 2018

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

Taear posted:

Invisible spiders that can damage your stats can gently caress off. As well as my pet being able to die properly when it's on Story mode!
Is there any way at all to actually see how much health my Boar even has? As far as I can see there isn't. Unless it's those health bars that appear and disappear, I can never see what health anything has.

You can click on the boar itself and hit I or whatever.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

the_steve posted:

So, I don't usually multiclass. Is an Eldritch Scion Magus/Dragon Disciple as fun as it sounds? Or is there some sort of snag that makes it bad?

Mainly just giving up the higher level Magus abilities. As opposed to something like Sorc/Fighter into Dragon Disciple, you actually notable class features you gain upon level-up at higher levels of Magus, so it's something you actually want to look at and consider. Smart suggestion is to unlock Dragon Disciple, then just go through what both classes get, and decide for yourself if the gains are worth the losses.

Or do a playthrough as something else, and just level Regongar as that. Then you have the option of either using him and seeing how it works out, or just using someone else if you don't think it is.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

One nice thing about companions gaining experience when you're not using them is that you can put Tristian or whoever on a shelf until they qualify for whatever cool prestige class you want without having to deal with them sucking before then. Personally, I edited Tristian's stats so he has 16 dex and gave him a crossbow so he can do something besides heal my dudes. This character editor lets you edit money, experience, and attributes for all of your dudes. https://github.com/ericfitzgerald/KingmakerCharacterEditor

Fun bug of the day: (Chapter 1 Spoiler) I was in the kobold section of the Old Sycamore dungeon, where the cage is that you find whatever companions Turtuccio left there. I was walking around looking for loot and Tristian, somehow, wandered into the drat cage and got stuck. Had to reload my game to get him out.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

It's a reference to a really fun intro free Pen and Paper module called We Be Goblins, in which... you be goblins. http://paizo.com/products/btpy8j5w

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
So there is an eldritch scion bloodline that straight up gives you +6 str by level 17, it also lets you learn the transform spell which gives you full BAB progression. This is...nice. Could pair it with 2 levels of Dragon Disciple to get 2 more str, but at level 19 magus gets to pick six spells from the wizard spell list, one of which is sense vitals which would give you 5d6 sneak attack. This is also nice. 19 Eldritch Scion/1 Scaled fist would be the way to go, lvl 20 for magus doesn't look all that impressive.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Are you likely to actually get to 20 in Kingmaker? I assumed it generally topped out around 15-16 like most of the pen and paper adventure paths do (Wrath of the Righteous excepted).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Prism posted:

Are you likely to actually get to 20 in Kingmaker? I assumed it generally topped out around 15-16 like most of the pen and paper adventure paths do (Wrath of the Righteous excepted).

Yeah, it was said somewhere that you actually are expected to hit 20 enough before the end that you'll actually have some time to play around at that level. I want to say there's also supposed to be a small post-main plotline adventure too, but could be misremembering that one. Not that anyone's finished the game yet or anything to confirm, so far as I'm aware.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I'll say this, one of the nice things in the 1.06 was a launch window allowing me to play it windowed.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

Yeah, it was said somewhere that you actually are expected to hit 20 enough before the end that you'll actually have some time to play around at that level. I want to say there's also supposed to be a small post-main plotline adventure too, but could be misremembering that one. Not that anyone's finished the game yet or anything to confirm, so far as I'm aware.
That sounds great. Means there's no mad hunt for xp to hit the level cap just before the final boss.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
ok my pure wizard keeps getting owned to the loving bone.

How do I git gud.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Motherfucker posted:

How do I git gud.

Pure wazard is all about locking your enemies down so the meatshields you buffed can punch their face in. You can make a fireballer dude, but it is way worse, and a sorcerer would usually do it better.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Cynic Jester posted:

Pure wazard is all about locking your enemies down so the meatshields you buffed can punch their face in. You can make a fireballer dude, but it is way worse, and a sorcerer would usually do it better.

Sure sure sure, cool cool cool. But I've got six spells total and they all wear off in the blink of a loving eye and resting is such a slog. You can't make scrolls nor can you buy new spells, you can't do anything early on to transcend this fun embargo all you can kinda do is throw enlarge person on the barbarian and watch them have fun while you toss rays of frost and after that you're essentially spent, dead weight. Maybe it gets better at high levels but I played for eight hours and got to level three before this choke-out finally killed any joy I'd be otherwise having.

If this was neverwinter nights I could at least summon a badger and be assured that both it and my mage armor would last long enough that I could remain fairly relevant throughout the encounters leading up to my next rest.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 6, 2018

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

How do I git gud.

Copy scrolls to your spellbook cause there are quite a few in the wild, buy a few of them from the Vendors at Oleg's (Johd has some good ones when you find him). Anything that targets Will is extremely potent against the majority of enemies in chapter 1 and Web can make certain tough encounters an instant win. But you should just use a bow/crossbow on easy fights.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Motherfucker posted:

Sure sure sure, cool cool cool. But I've got six spells total and they all wear off in the blink of a loving eye and resting is such a slog. You can't make scrolls nor can you buy new spells, you can't do anything early on to transcend this fun embargo all you can kinda do is throw enlarge person on the barbarian and watch them have fun while you toss rays of frost and after that you're essentially spent, dead weight. Maybe it gets better at high levels but I played for eight hours and got to level three before this choke-out finally killed any joy I'd be otherwise having.

If this was neverwinter nights I could at least summon a badger and be assured that both it and my mage armor would last long enough that I could remain fairly relevant throughout the encounters leading up to my next rest.

Equip a bow and wait until you're higher level.
And honestly with these I'd always recommend a sorcerer over a wizard.
Like you say, resting loving sucks and wizards are sort of at the whim of the system.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

That's a weird attitude for an RPG writer to adopt; romance and relationships (finding them or losing them or whatever) are a ubiquitous part of every other kind of storytelling and art because they're such a common and frequently-powerful shared touchstone in human experience, and I don't see any particular reason why trying to "gamify" that should be considered any more problematic or repulsive than a lot of the stuff you can choose to do in some CRPGs (including just butchering defenseless people for no reason other than to see what happens).

I get that it can be difficult to do "right" in a medium heavily-defined by power fantasy and player-centrism, but to hear that just makes it sound like he's shying away from a challenge. They don't belong in every game, but just dismissing the concept feels like missing an opportunity and limiting the stories you can tell and themes you can evoke unnecessarily.

Unsurprisingly goons are misremembering. Avellone has no problem with romances, but tends to prefer tragic or unrequited romances, e.g. Annah/FFG. Josh Sawyer is the Obsidian dev who dislikes romances, mainly because they are shallow and self-indulgent - he would have no problem with a fully-realised romantic story, but I also think that kind of story isn't the kind of story he prefers himself to write. It was Sawyer that had Patrick Weekes write a rebuttal in defence of the Bioware romance, and probably Sawyer that you all are thinking of.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Prism posted:

From what i hear the answer is yes, but the scaled fist/eldritch scion is good from level 1.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I've been eyeing this up and in two minds on if I should get it. Is the consensus to wait for a few more patches and maybe a sale?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I've been eyeing this up and in two minds on if I should get it. Is the consensus to wait for a few more patches and maybe a sale?

It's buggy right now but they are cranking out hotfixes almost daily, half of them break something new though. Even so I have been having a poo poo ton of fun, this scratches an itch other better made RPGs simply didn't manage to hit.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'd absolutely wait, right now it's literally impossible to complete the game.

And the game has mechanics that can lose you 30 or even 50 hours of play.

Hold off, give it a few months. Or a sale, yea. Get pillars of eternity 2 instead if you haven't played it, that's actually good.
And allows you to explore the world map without constant perception checks and resting!

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
I have absolutely no familiarity with Pathfinder, and my DnD experience is mostly with 2e and 5e. I could use some pointers as to some cool multiclass combinations. I would especially appreciate any that include paladin or sorcerer. My current thought is Paladin 2/Scaled Fist 1/Sorcerer 17, but I fear that I would miss out on too many spell levels and bonuses.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Id say at least wait until their fabled Big Patch on the 22nd. Playing now is gambling and I'm done until then.

Released in a shameful state, embarrassing

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Lt. Danger posted:

Unsurprisingly goons are misremembering. Avellone has no problem with romances, but tends to prefer tragic or unrequited romances, e.g. Annah/FFG. Josh Sawyer is the Obsidian dev who dislikes romances, mainly because they are shallow and self-indulgent - he would have no problem with a fully-realised romantic story, but I also think that kind of story isn't the kind of story he prefers himself to write. It was Sawyer that had Patrick Weekes write a rebuttal in defence of the Bioware romance, and probably Sawyer that you all are thinking of.

No, but that would interfere with the goon narrative of Avellone as the preferred punching bag for everything that's wrong with everything, even though on the other hand he wrote 95% of KotOR2 and Kreia is a goon darling, and

:psyboom:

tl;dr: Goons are, unsurprisingly, fickle assholes who are no different from the general public.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He's a good writer, just gets too self-indulgent from time to time. He needs a good editor to rein him in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

SoldadoDeTone posted:

I have absolutely no familiarity with Pathfinder, and my DnD experience is mostly with 2e and 5e. I could use some pointers as to some cool multiclass combinations. I would especially appreciate any that include paladin or sorcerer. My current thought is Paladin 2/Scaled Fist 1/Sorcerer 17, but I fear that I would miss out on too many spell levels and bonuses.

Cynic Jester posted:

Aasimar Angelkin Monk (Scaled Fist) 1\Paladin (Divine Hunter) 2\Sorcerer (Draconic Bloodline) 2\Dragon Disciple 8\Eldritch Knight 7

16 Str, 14 Con, 14 Dex, 10 Int, 7 Wis, 19 Cha

Key feats are power attack and crane style.

While this doesn't get access to 8th and 9th level spells, it does let you buff yourself and toss around crowd control with okay numbers, while still hitting stuff with a 2 hander for almost lol-damage and having good defensive stats. Because you max charisma, you get to be persuade monkey and rock a super good UMD score, opening up lots of options for consumables if you want to do that.