Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

yeah i'd play the poo poo out of a game that was as big as eve but also had dogfights. doing some instancing magic instead of "everyone is on the same grid", it might even be possible to have it work passably enough that i'd not care about it.

unfortunately elite decided it'll be a single player mmo, and star citizen will never exist so :rip:

Empryion: Galactic Survival integrates ground based FPS combat with dog fighing and capital ships all at once. Unfortunately I don't think the engine is up to the task of battles the size of EVE. Its also more like Minecraft (with personal servers) than a true MMO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFkmj3DuDgw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

There are two kinds of people in EVE: goons and not-goons. Goons are a parasitic and foreign community that has latched onto EVE out of opportunism and plans to outlast it. I started playing this game after following it for years when your leadership sold its memberbase to H1Z1 and actively encouraged people to play a different game. That was the moment you became irredeemable. The goon community is not the EVE community. Anyone in goons or blue to goons is supporting a leadership structure that funnels people away from the game and is an enemy of EVE. The interest of goons can never be that of EVE, only of their media empire.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That makes no sense, goons have been a part of EVE since the beginning. All of the big EVE news stories involve goons. He might have had a point in 2004, but to say that now is silly.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

There are two kinds of people in EVE: goons and not-goons. Goons are a parasitic and foreign community that has latched onto EVE out of opportunism and plans to outlast it. I started playing this game after following it for years when your leadership sold its memberbase to H1Z1 and actively encouraged people to play a different game. That was the moment you became irredeemable. The goon community is not the EVE community. Anyone in goons or blue to goons is supporting a leadership structure that funnels people away from the game and is an enemy of EVE. The interest of goons can never be that of EVE, only of their media empire.

"Multi-dollar media empire" :v:

Wookybear
Dec 14, 2016

How does this work?
He is both wrong and not wrong at the same time.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Rutibex posted:

I would love for my fighters to be piloted by real people doing a dog fighting game :v:

I promise you actually would not

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

CainFortea posted:

Weird, cause Reavers find stuff to drop on before the war started. And just today I found a couple of mining fleets in other regions. vOv

Catching a fish in a mostly empty lake, a fishing season it does not make.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Dalael posted:

Catching a fish in a mostly empty lake, a fishing season it does not make.

Delve is great for kills, felt like a slow day if we got under 20b

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

CainFortea posted:

They are a COMPLETELY NEUTRAL group that do bomber drops on people. In Delve or nearby lowsec. And never in somewhere even easier to drop on, say Deklein. FCed by COMPLETELY NEUTRAL people who are in other groups besides the Imperium. Did I mention how neutral they were?

This is pretty much word for word what all our TEST krabs like to bitch about. BB drop in Eso nearly as as much as they do in Delve.

Are we BFF's again now that our krabs are sharing persecution complexes?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Can someone explain what a krab is in the context of EVE? Are they like renters or something?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DarkHorse posted:

Can someone explain what a krab is in the context of EVE? Are they like renters or something?

I have no clue how the term became "krab" but basically people who prefer pve over pvp. Not so much carebears because they're usually high sec only, but people who tend to live in null and w-space and do that are referred to as such.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

As far as I can tell it’s the more politically correct version of “jewing” but non-highsec “carebear” synonym

It’s a good vernacular change imo

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

DarkHorse posted:

It's a Russian loanword. It references something Putin said where he says he "worked like a slave," but the word for "slave" in Russian sounds a lot like "krab." It refers to players who do a lot of menial work in Eve (PVE) and people who are so unskilled at the game that they must have claws for hands.

It fell into the English lexicon as a non-racist term for a PVE player, used typically as a pejorative.

Real Nito
Apr 3, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's a Russian loanword. It references something Putin said where he says he "worked like a slave," but the word for "slave" in Russian sounds a lot like "krab." It refers to players who do a lot of menial work in Eve (PVE) and people who are so unskilled at the game that they must have claws for hands.

It fell into the English lexicon as a non-racist term for a PVE player, used typically as a pejorative.

This sounds much more reasonable then what I originally thought.
I thought it was a reference Mr. Krabs from Spongebob.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yes, the russian word for slave is "rab", and is pronounced exactly like "krab" without K.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
what happened to carebears?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Truga posted:

it has too many syllables, eve players are extremely busy and cannot be bothered to expend double the conversational effort

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ah yeah, that makes sense.

my favourite carebear story is that the word got banned on star citizen forums because many people felt insulted by it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

I have heard nullsec carebears referred to as "nullbears". But that makes very little sense to me as an insult. If you take the "care" out you are just left with bears, and bears are tough and cool. It should be "Care-secs".

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

my favourite carebear story is that the word got banned on star citizen forums because many people felt insulted by it

Lol

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Rutibex posted:

I have heard nullsec carebears referred to as "nullbears". But that makes very little sense to me as an insult. If you take the "care" out you are just left with bears, and bears are tough and cool. It should be "Care-secs".

hahaha holy poo poo

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That's interesting. I always thought it was like crab fishing, just floating around, scooping up cash.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

it has too many syllables, eve players are extremely busy and cannot be bothered to expend double the conversational effort

why waste time say lot word when few word do trick

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Jazzzzz posted:

why waste time say lot word when few word do trick

:hai:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's true. We only speak in 140 characters

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Truga posted:

The amount of words they have to ban on the Star Citizen forums to protect the cultists from crimethink is pretty impressive

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

this is obviously because eve is dying and not because you only ever look in highsec

let's ignore the massive vacuum action that is delve on highsec
someone posted a chart on reddit (that i can't find any more) of how often and where people were dying and eve is at the most dead it's ever been in the last 6 years by sheer number of kills in all areas of space, except for highsec which is an uptick (because of ganking probably)

so i mean it's objectively dying

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

:same:

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

ZekeNY posted:

The amount of words they have to ban on the Star Citizen forums to protect the cultists from crimethink is pretty impressive

Let's do it:

EVE Online
The Mittani
Goons
Non consensual pvp
Non consensual pve
Carebear
Derek Smart
Crytek
Elite Dangerous
Release date
Scam
Ponzi
Nigerian prince
Checkbox

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

froody guy posted:

Let's do it:

EVE Online
The Mittani
Goons
Non consensual pvp
Non consensual pve
Carebear
Derek Smart
Crytek
Elite Dangerous
Release date
Scam
Ponzi
Nigerian prince
Checkbox

refund
tickle (tickler, tickling)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

43k average daily concurrent users over the span from 2012 to current.

In 2012 the daily average was 44k And has been around that mark until 2014. In 2015 the average users have been holding at an average of about 33k each year after that. So, not really much of a slope.

Wookybear
Dec 14, 2016

How does this work?

Rutibex posted:

" and bears are tough and cool. ".

This is the nicest thing anyone has said today.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

CainFortea posted:

In 2012 the daily average was 44k And has been around that mark until 2014. In 2015 the average users have been holding at an average of about 33k each year after that. So, not really much of a slope.

when were f2p accts added?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Late 2016, so probably that PCU'16 peak.

Enemu
May 31, 2014
I want to play again, I have the itch for spaceships. I haven't played in like 3 years. How dead is game/how bad is GSF culture now?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

CainFortea posted:

That drop was also around the time CCP got serious about botting. I know it's still a thing, but do wonder if CCP managed to blunt it, and there were more bots than even the conventional wisdom realized.

I'm probably naive.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Enemu posted:

how bad is GSF culture now?

i am happy to report that modern GSF is a microaggression-free and inclusive safe space

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

CainFortea posted:

i specifically said kills, not pcu

pcu is inflated with npc alphas and bots

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

fortunately kills are not the only metric of game health :viggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

i mean it kinda is in a pvp sandbox game

if things aren't dying, nothing is happening

it says something that eve is at it's lowest point even post f2p and skill injectors making 10-20+ accounts a joke to plex