Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoB
May 1, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

Gonna be upset when we have SRW Double Zeta and SRW Xi and they're not the same game.

SRW X didnt have Gundam X or the Turn X so they already dont get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

KoB posted:

SRW X didnt have Gundam X or the Turn X so they already dont get it.

And V avoided Victory Gundam, Combattler V, and Voltes V.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Hokuto posted:

Pretty much this. His fundamental grasp of the language is definitely extant. I assure you that he does not conjure up 1MB+ sized story guides out of whole cloth. No, the guy I'm talking about is someone else and there's no real point in naming names.

I got my start in SRW reading Mark Neidengard's guides and I respect his work for what it is. The guy's got passion and dedication, and I appreciate that. (Also his 5-turns-or-less stage clearing tips for Impact are a godsend)

Never gonna stop making fun of MNeidengard for putting down that Ratsel/Rai's mother died in Alpha instead of Ratsel's wife, but dude translated the Giant Robo LD linear notes so I can never actually get up in arms about him.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MarsDragon posted:

dude translated the Giant Robo LD linear notes

Dang! Are those still around somewhere?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Super Robot Wars Delta better have R-Type Delta in it.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Schwarzwald posted:

Dang! Are those still around somewhere?

Hell, they're still at the old site. They're chock-full of great little tidbits of info that didn't make it into the OVAs, so I highly recommend reading them if you like Giant Robo at all.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MarsDragon posted:

Hell, they're still at the old site. They're chock-full of great little tidbits of info that didn't make it into the OVAs, so I highly recommend reading them if you like Giant Robo at all.

last modified 1998-12-16 19:50

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://suparobo.jp/topics/2018/channel_04.html

Apparently we're getting some kind of SRW stream on October 11th?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Hellioning posted:

And V avoided Victory Gundam, Combattler V, and Voltes V.

:goonsay: Its "Voltes Five"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Raxivace posted:

https://suparobo.jp/topics/2018/channel_04.html

Apparently we're getting some kind of SRW stream on October 11th?
Yeah but it's about X-Omega and "SRW related products".

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
During the last one of those in June the guys zoomed up on a female figurine's panties until some of the other guys were literally pleading with them 'No seriously guys please stop this' and they moved on.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
It's just their regular X-O Stream and the SRW related products has been leaked to be some Getter toys.

And in X-O news...

https://twitter.com/srw_xomg/status/1048106981834153984

Macross: DYRL is returning to X-O which marks the first time an aspect of the original series has been in SRW since Alpha 3 for decades (unless you count Scramble Commander 2), ouch. I suppose that means there's no license issues in Japan about using it.

On a bit of a lateral shift - Geocities JP is shutting down in 6 months. I believe there are probably some SRW pages hosted on the service which may still be on interest especially since information is very scarce on the older SRW games in general, so if you know of any, it might be good to start archiving them now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Macross in Japan is pretty straightforward with licensing, it's only in the US that Harmony Gold has turbofucked it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The issue with Macross is that it can't leave outside of Japan, which is why there's been 0 Macross in the past two SRW games since they became english translated.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Seriously where the gently caress is the SEA English release?! Granblue Fantasy can get away with a million clusterfuck crossovers and still have an SEA English release but X-Omega can't?!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you don't want to play x-omega

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

you don't want to play x-omega
I honestly couldn't tell if it is better and worse than other Japanese mobile games since none of them has held my interest for more than an hour or two.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I honestly couldn't tell if it is better and worse than other Japanese mobile games since none of them has held my interest for more than an hour or two.

I've seen videos of it and I have no idea what's going on. Like, other games you can get an idea of the gameplay but X-Omega is some kind of...lane-based game or something? I can't even tell.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lane defense is a pretty common mobile game for active style games.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Hunter Noventa posted:

I've seen videos of it and I have no idea what's going on. Like, other games you can get an idea of the gameplay but X-Omega is some kind of...lane-based game or something? I can't even tell.
X-Omega actually has 2 Battle Systems spread out among its 4 modes which I will attempt to describe.

The one you're talking about is the "Normal" Mode, which is basically a Plants vs Zombies-ish Defense game. I won't mince any words here and say it's fairly terrible because of its clunkiness but you'll be doing a lot of it since it's considered the "main" game and the only positive thing I can say about it is that after you assembled a core team you can basically hit Auto and never have to interact with it manually ever again for the most part.

(I would really have preferred the main mode to be a scaled down version of the actual SRW game ala Fire Emblem Heroes to FE, but I'm fairly certain the reason they used this gameplay format is to reuse the engine from one of Sega's older defunct mobage called Chain Chronicles)

The other gameplay system is a JRPG-ish turn-based battle where you arrange 5 units on a 3x3 grid and face off your opponents on their own grid. This one is... actually kinda OK in theory but because the playerbase is so small, it's extremely dominated by whales so the only thing most players are going to experience is the 5 easy daily AI fights for rewards.

There's a "War Mode" that's like Raids with a map you can move around but it doesn't really amount to anything outside of rushing to the boss with millions of HP and whitiling them down slowly with the 29 other participants - it's another "set Auto" format.

The final mode is "Conquest Mode" which is a puzzle mission mode which uses both battle systems in a series of 30 rotating stages each month and basically the only viable end-game content for F2P players - unfortunately it'll take around a year to acquire enough units to actually tackle most of its content but it's fairly satisfying once you can.

Ultimately if grinding is anathema to you or you really value gameplay in your games then I really wouldn't even recommend bothering, X-O's a game where the appeal is collecting a whole bunch of stuff (and they seem to know this which is why they debut all the wacky series like Mega Man here) and reading the story events.

(Though to be quite honest, the gameplay value of the average modern SRW game is fairly questionable as well, which is probably the only reason I put up with X-O's gameplay.)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Bring back Neo.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
By the way, for anybody who thinks "Surely the Alpha writing from that person can't be that bad," here's a sample of his writing from an old discarded SRW F project.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

And he had no idea what the actual names were. I think he called Misato Katsuragi 'Major Suzushiro'.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hokuto posted:

By the way, for anybody who thinks "Surely the Alpha writing from that person can't be that bad," here's a sample of his writing from an old discarded SRW F project.

That reminds me of the first anime fansub I ever watched, Rurouni Kenshin, where they translated basically everything as "gently caress".

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Constant swearing is my favorite part of terrible fan subs.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hokuto posted:

So did he do the translation for SRW3.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
X-O Stream Series Entries:
Sun Musume
Gosaurer (they had a toy to market)
Cutie Honey Universe (so they don't even have to loophole through Mazinger Angels, I guess)

But the showstopper is something that lost a lot of relevancy nowadays a lot of people have been waiting for...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I’m a bit surprised Muv-Luv took this long tbh.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
All the robot or psuedo-robot animes ever sure are going into that game that I have no intention of playing again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

All the robot or psuedo-robot animes ever sure are going into that game that I have no intention of playing again.
The fact that they have a previous business dealing with these franchises means they're on the table for a mainline game, at least. Though only like, three, things have actually been in the mobage before the main series without having been in a previous mainline game.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Put Nanoha in that so I can be really disappointed.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

R-Type. Blast off and defeat the evil BYDO empire.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Godzil… Oh wait they already did and it was about as rad as these mobages can get.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
poo poo, an SRW game is probably the only place where the Bydo could be legitimately defeated too

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

MechaX posted:

poo poo, an SRW game is probably the only place where the Bydo could be legitimately defeated too

Yeah, they're a cosmic-horror level threat and those can be defeated by the powers of friendship and love in SRW.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Raxivace posted:

I’m a bit surprised Muv-Luv took this long tbh.

I dunno, if we're just talking about X-O then sure, but Muv-Luv would make for a really poor fit in a normal SRW for a lot of reasons

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, they're a cosmic-horror level threat and those can be defeated by the powers of friendship and love in SRW.

Or just Demonbane, really.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Huh Muv luv finally sorta made it in.

This picture also reminds me that it has some of the ugliest goddamn pilot suits ever.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Hey, Muv-luv! Time for it to never get into a game I care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

I dunno, if we're just talking about X-O then sure, but Muv-Luv would make for a really poor fit in a normal SRW for a lot of reasons
I mean they've made Zeorymer work.

• Locked thread