Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Df looks sexy as hell though
Ayup

EL BROMANCE posted:

or going full frame and having to cheap out on lower quality glass I would at least consider not going full frame.
This doesn't apply if you can live shooting primes. Which you should do regardless considering what FX capable zoom glass weighs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s probably why I love my Sigma 18-35 ‘bag of primes’ so much. If they could break science and extend the range to 50mm and still keep the 1.8 aperture id almost demand everyone with a crop sensor buy it. It’s fairly big for a DX lens (but I have a 50-150 2.8 too, so in comparison to that it’s not) but it never feels heavy, the size feels perfect, and it’s not impossible to get it for a good price.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Out of curiosity, what was your SO doing photography wise on film, and what is the expectation of what she’ll be doing now? What lenses were you thinking of getting, and what’s the total budget?

Because yeah, the 750 is a great camera - it’s why a ton of pros use it, and people who are really into it as a hobby. If that’s the aim, then go for it... otherwise maybe consider not diving into a $2,000 full frame model that’ll command a lot of money when it comes to lenses to get the most of it. The Nikon DX ranger has a lot of great cameras that are much cheaper, and if the choice is between getting a solid DX model and a fantastic set of lenses, or going full frame and having to cheap out on lower quality glass I would at least consider not going full frame.

What she did on film, as far as I can tell, was all over the place. Action stuff shooting surfers and horses, nature and wildlife stuff, photography student type stuff (it was her minor) like BW photos of old gates and crumbling walls whatever that sort of stuff is called, no single thing in particular as far as I can suss. Nor am I really certain what she's going to be after in terms of lenses. But she is just finishing a radiology residency and wants to treat herself, so price is less an issue than getting a camera she's confident she'll be happy with.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

What she did on film, as far as I can tell, was all over the place. Action stuff shooting surfers and horses, nature and wildlife stuff, photography student type stuff (it was her minor) like BW photos of old gates and crumbling walls whatever that sort of stuff is called, no single thing in particular as far as I can suss. Nor am I really certain what she's going to be after in terms of lenses. But she is just finishing a radiology residency and wants to treat herself, so price is less an issue than getting a camera she's confident she'll be happy with.

Then yes, she absolutely wants the D750, it's a great all-around camera. If I wasn't so dedicated to wildlife photography it's the body I would have (instead I have the D500)

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Silly trivia question. Do any of you know if the bits that stick out the back of a Nikon lens serve any real purpose? Not the aperture lever or CPU contacts but the chunky metal bits and flanges that surround the rear element. The 28mm f2.8 AIS has some pretty substantial knobs.

Edit: Derp, I suppose they protect the rear element if you set the lens down on that side... though only barely with a 50mm f1.4.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 28, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

they also prevent you from mating the lens rotated to the wrong spot, and different manufacturers use different patterns to make it harder to mate an incompatible lens (which could be harmful in terms of damaging those delicate contacts and focusing gears etc.)

And, chunkiness helps to keep the lens firmly attached while you hold the whole camera by its lens and otherwise bump it from the side. Without big chunky mating pieces, a little side-pressure on the lens could rip contacts and gears apart as the lens tears its way off the body.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

My SO is getting back into photography after a good while off and this will be her first time getting really into digital. Wondering if maybe any of you can give me any insight since I can't really offer her any worthwhile advice myself and so she's mostly been getting different stories from different people pushing certain models. She's pretty much down to either the Df or D750, and though price really isn't a big issue, I guess my question is - is there really any good reason to go with the Df aside from that it looks cool as gently caress? She was leaning that way until the latest person she talked to told her it wasn't a great camera, but is that just because it's a few years old now? I don't really have any stake in this, I'm just trying to solicit unbiased info from people that aren't trying to sell her one camera or the other so that I can try to be helpful if asked.

The Df is missing auto iso and auto shutter on the dial. You have to set it in a menu every time. AF-A mode is missing from the Df, only one card slot.

If you don't need a flippy screen and wifi look at the d610 too. Image quality and AF performance is great on both. Quality lenses make a bigger difference either way.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

lampey posted:

The Df is missing auto iso and auto shutter on the dial.
Oh yeah I forgot about that lunacy. Jesus gently caress nikon just make a nice looking normal camera it's not rocket science

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pissflaps posted:

The little rubber cover that protects the battery grip connector has gone missing off my d7200. I can't find the magic words to use to buy a replacement anywhere. Is there a proper name or model number for this thing?

For closure in case anybody was worrying about this I found the little rubber cover in a bag today. You can only imagine the epic waves of relief that washed over me as I retrieved it. What a rush. Almost worth losing it in the first place.

Zank Frappa
Oct 16, 2006
Freak me out Frank.

Pissflaps posted:

For closure in case anybody was worrying about this I found the little rubber cover in a bag today. You can only imagine the epic waves of relief that washed over me as I retrieved it. What a rush. Almost worth losing it in the first place.

Hail Satan

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Sauer posted:

Silly trivia question. Do any of you know if the bits that stick out the back of a Nikon lens serve any real purpose? Not the aperture lever or CPU contacts but the chunky metal bits and flanges that surround the rear element. The 28mm f2.8 AIS has some pretty substantial knobs.

Edit: Derp, I suppose they protect the rear element if you set the lens down on that side... though only barely with a 50mm f1.4.

They communicate minimum and maximum aperture information about the lens to cameras that care so that Matrix metering is possible (though I believe only the FA and F4 take advantage).

Mattis
Jul 4, 2018

I am the fluff.

Pissflaps posted:

I lost mine for the D7100. Couldn't find it anywhere.
If you ever lose it again, you might be able to order it directly from Nikon or from a Nikon service provider.
Here in Germany we have one that sells minor spare parts like battery covers, the rubbery grippy bits that cover the grip and said connector covers.

Be prepared to smile while they rip you off though! I paid 12€ plus shipping, so about $17. For like 5 grams of rubber :stare:
And now that I bought the battery grip I don't even need it anymore... If you ever lose yours again I'll gladly sell you mine for 10 bucks! It's used but in great condition!

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
Anyone have their hands on a D850 or a Z-series yet?

I mean, it's no Zenit M, but they can both shoot calendars.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve had a D850 since last October. It’s pretty sweet. The last year has been almost exclusively video work for me though, so I haven’t used it near as much as I’d like.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
Was thinking of upgrading and getting babby's First Nice DSLR but then the mirrorless systems were announced

The strategy was, wait for bodies to get cheaper then just upgrade there and keep my lenses, but I am tempted to wait for mirrorless to get cheaper in a couple years once the hype dies down

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Next weekend I’m going to have my hands on a Z7 for a quick trip to Carmel-by-the-Sea. I’m curious but somewhat skeptical.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
It’s p ok

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Anyone have any 24-85mm VR vs 24-120mm f4 experience?

Used I can get the 24-120 for £370 and the 24-85 for £260.

Sharpness seems similar but the 120 is sharper at the wider end it seems.

Want to get an all purpose travel lens paired with a 50 1.8 for low light / bokeh.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I saw a Z camera in the wild today, so I guess they really exist. Didn't get a chance to ask the owner if it was a 6 or 7. They were using it with an adapted Sigma 35mm Art.

And I have a lens question, sort of. I'm looking for an Ai-type normal lens with "good bokeh". I have heard that Nikon 50's have "bad bokeh". It's not really bad, but I did recently shoot some portraits with a 50/1.4 Ai-S and an F-mount Helios 50/2, neither of them left me feeling really great about their rendering of out-of-focus highlights. (The Helios is known for "swirly bokeh" that's apparently somewhat desirable for its peculiar effect, but I found it too busy and distracting for general applications.)

I've tried the 50/1.8 Ai-S, 50/1.4 Ai-S, and the Helios.

Some say that the 50/2 Ai has the most decent bokeh among the Nikons, but I haven't tried it and I really wonder if there's much of a noticeable difference.

The Ai 55/3.5 is another one that gets brought up on occasion, but its kind of slow.

I've strongly considered the Voigtlander 40/2 because it's supposed to be very sharp and I favor that focal length/aperture, but it's a little bit wide and the bokeh is not supposed to be that great.

The Voigtlander 58/1.4 caught my eye, because it's the same FL and aperture as the newer Nikon 58/1.4 G lens which was supposedly designed to produce smooth OOF areas, but from my inspection the bokeh doesn't seem much better than the stock 50/1.4. Maybe I just haven't seen a good photo taken with it that shows its strength there. Anyone have experience with this one?

There are also the older Pre-Ai 50 & 58 1.4's. I think the Pre-Ai 50 had a different optical formula than the later versions. I wonder how the bokeh is on those two.

Of course I'm excluding the ZF/Milvus/Batis lines. I'm not that committed to analog 35mm stuff. It's just a hobby.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

just buy the noct

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No advice on your bokeh search but I’ve been shooting with a Z6 for about a month now and love it.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

How's the low light focusing?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My primary glass is all manual focus so I don't have a great read on that. I've used the kit lens some and it seems OK but certainly not great or anything. The main camera I use AF on is my Ricoh GR which has LOL autofocus so not a lot to compare to. I had a D850 but didn't use AF much on it either so I'm not a lot of help on that question.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
can anyone help me figure out what’s going on with the color in one of these d750s? The first has a magenta tint that really messes with the yellows. Every setting in every menu is identical, custom +1 warm auto white balance on both, etc. untouched raw files and an iPhone jpeg for reference

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did you go all the way into the white balance customization in the menus where you can mess with hue too? Another thing, on my Z6 at least you can go in and change tint in the picture profile.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yep. Even reset both cameras fully back to factory settings and the colors are still wildly off.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Weird, in that case it might need a trip back to Nikon. Can you tune it out in post / in the WB settings to get it closer to real?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

what metering mode are you using

are you shooting jpg or raw
if jpg, what colorspace are you using

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

what metering mode are you using

are you shooting jpg or raw
if jpg, what colorspace are you using

matrix on both

it does it in jpeg and raw

and does it in movies (the biggest issue, since it cant really be corrected nearly as easily as a raw img)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is the screw drive speed about the same for all current gen bodies that have them? Like, is the AF speed about the same for a D850 as it is for a D5 on older screw drive lenses? Sure the D5 has a 'better' AF system and faster continuous speed but I'm just talking about AF.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Also snagged a Sigma 100-300/4 HSM (newer DG version) for $280 in excellent shape on ebay. I guess these aren't that popular.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Is the screw drive speed about the same for all current gen bodies that have them? Like, is the AF speed about the same for a D850 as it is for a D5 on older screw drive lenses? Sure the D5 has a 'better' AF system and faster continuous speed but I'm just talking about AF.
If it’s anything like previous generations the Dx bodies will have torquier units than the lower end stuff.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Okay, I'm looking for a fast, midrange zoom for my D850 to replace the 24-85 3.5-4.5 that came in the kit with my D600.

I'm not looking to drop $2400 on the new 24-70 VR, so right now the options I'm considering are:

Its predecessor, the Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, around $8-1200 used
Its predecessor, the Nikon AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8, around $5-600 used
Its predecessor, the Nikon AF-D 35-70mm f/2.8, around $2-400 used
Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 G2 Di VC USD G2, new at ~$1100

I figure the earlier Nikons all occupied the same place in their product line and if it's something they made back when film was the thing the glass on a pro lens is going to be pretty damned sharp. Does anyone have experiences to share with any of this stuff, or is there something else I should take a look at?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Next to newest gen is always the best compromise of price and performance. Same with the 70-200 2.8s.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

the latest 24-70 is approximately 20 bajillion times better than the previous one.

plus you get vr, and you can use it for years to come. spend the money.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've had the 28-70 and the new Tamron 24-70 and wound up selling both. I guess I'm just a prime shooter at heart and neither one really did it for me. With the 28-70 you need to watch out for a squeaky AF motor. It can be the first sign it's going to go out (I guess they can squeak for a long time before having an issue, but I spent quite a while finding one without it just to be safe.)

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I've used the OG 24-70mm f2.8 as basically my exclusive lens for going on 10 years and have had 0 issues with it. It's an incredible lens and I have literally no complaints about it. That said, I bought it new and have taken good care of it, but it has definitely been heavily used.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I don’t personally mind the 35-70 but they’re very heavy if you’re used to modern stuff and most samples are going to be just “good” on digital. Avoid unless you need cheap cheap imo.
E- and awful is stripping quote marks for some reason :rip: the forums

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Just picked up a 7500 and I love this stupid incredibly expensive thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I’ve had a D600 for 5-6 years now and while it’s my baby, I’m finally fed up with the blah autofocus as my kids grow faster and less patient to pose for photos. I’m thinking about picking up a used D750. For those who have shot with both is the D750 a big upgrade as the reviews indicate?