Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

Pretty sure everyone has a screwdriver with a chunk of metal missing from the shaft.

Nah, my screwdrivers just have marks that look strangely like the reverse of my hammer head on the handle ends.

I do however have a wrench with a nice large burn mark on it. This wrench fits the terminals of my car battery. Those facts may be related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
YouTubeChat: I really like Abom79, he's good at explaining what he does and why he does it. He also seems like he really enjoys making videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy-rae-aUSc

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
YouTube: South Main Auto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAUkmDhjgEM

This is a slight different mechanical failure video in that it is long and there no explosions.

However, if you are automotively or mechanically-minded, I think you will get a kick out of it (if you aren't interested in diagnostics, you can skip to 17:20 onwards)

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

stevewm posted:

I once vaporized a screwdriver...

Was helping a friend install a new clothes dryer. He had managed to wire the cord wrong; forgetting to use the included jumper between the ground and neutral terminals. (for those who don't know, 240v electric clothes dryers in the US are typically sold without cords, you have to install one yourself)

Or you could be like me and wire the neutral and ground backwards! Then you have an energized outer case of your dryer. That was a surprise the first time I grabbed the door...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Couldn't find my contactless tester, resorted to using my multimeter to check that I'd turned off the right breaker. Thanks to my shaky hands one of the probes accidentally touched the body of the switch at the same time as the screw.

I had not toggled the right breaker, but it helpfully turned itself off.

Well, now you know the breaker works, at least.

stevewm posted:

Dunno WTF we where thinking.

You weren't. (Not trying to be mean - I've been there.)

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I once tried to diagnose parasitic draw from a faulty head unit by setting the cheap multimeter to "current" and absent-mindedly measuring across the battery terminals. My buddy was holding the meter, I was holding the probes.

"Weird, it's just dashes. Uh, this is getting warm." "Huh, do you smell ozone? Lemme take the probes off-" :science: *spark* :science:

The next day in our EE lecture, the professor specifically taught us about multimeters and how not to measure current. Timely.

Turned out to be the head unit after all. Multimeter still works, just smells like smoke all the time. :v:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

wolrah posted:

Nah, my screwdrivers just have marks that look strangely like the reverse of my hammer head on the handle ends.

I do however have a wrench with a nice large burn mark on it. This wrench fits the terminals of my car battery. Those facts may be related.

One of those we all do once and maybe twice and boy now do we pay attention on battery changes.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
A friend had a farm pump that was fed from a single outlet on top of a telegraph pole. The pump was old and persnickety and hard to repair while constantly breaking down. The actual power supply had been dodgy recently so the friend (a qualified EE) climbed the pole with his fancy new multimeter to ensure we did indeed have supply to the pole. He then misselected Amps instead of Volts and asked the electricity grid how many? There was a blinding flash of light and miraculously he was unscathed by either electrocution, the likely but avoided fall or the vapourised metal and plastic that was once the probes, their wires and the end terminals connected to the meter. The meter did not survive :rip:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

xzzy posted:

Pretty sure everyone has a screwdriver with a chunk of metal missing from the shaft.

I was new and had not yet discovered the difference between turning the machine off and turning the disconnect off.

(one leg of the 3-phase was used to power the contactor for the power switch.)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

xzzy posted:

Please, don't insult my talents this way.

(it's a ratchet handle)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in my case it's a pair of flush cutters with a pair of semicircles burned out of the blades from where I tried to cut through a pair of wires without disconnecting them from the power supply :jeb:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Horrible electrical failures: while removing the battery from my brother's MS3 I had a long 1/4" extension (the back third of the battery sits back under the windshield cowl) fall out of the ratchet and land squarely on and immediately spot weld itself to the terminals.

Fortunately I had a crowbar right within reach and was able to pop it off before the battery caught fire.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Sagebrush posted:

in my case it's a pair of flush cutters with a pair of semicircles burned out of the blades from where I tried to cut through a pair of wires without disconnecting them from the power supply :jeb:

I read this, then saw your avatar and had a giggle.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I have a non-zero amount of things that I've killed by accidentally shorting them out with a single multimeter probe.

Cartoon posted:

A friend had a farm pump that was fed from a single outlet on top of a telegraph pole. The pump was old and persnickety and hard to repair while constantly breaking down. The actual power supply had been dodgy recently so the friend (a qualified EE) climbed the pole with his fancy new multimeter to ensure we did indeed have supply to the pole. He then misselected Amps instead of Volts and asked the electricity grid how many? There was a blinding flash of light and miraculously he was unscathed by either electrocution, the likely but avoided fall or the vapourised metal and plastic that was once the probes, their wires and the end terminals connected to the meter. The meter did not survive :rip:

It's really a Fluke that he survived.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
If it was a fluke meter, there would have been no flash or other sign of problem. I've hit a Fluke 87 with 350VDC in amps mode. Pop goes the $14 fuse, and nothing else.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Sagebrush posted:

You have to look at it optimistically. Now you just have an an extra pair of wire strippers. I think I have 2 like this unfortunately.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SEKCobra posted:

My screwdrivers are german and rated to a 1000V with insulated shafts. So no.

It's not voltage that melts the metal, it's current.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It is, however, voltage that overcomes the insulation.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Computer viking posted:

It is, however, voltage that overcomes the insulation.

Ask me how I found this out trying to troubleshoot connectors on an Electric Fence! Car jumper leads are NOT capable of insulating 7200 volts!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from CA:

When you think you've seen everything a lovely PO could possibly do, they find a way to surprise you again. From the Facebook Ducati Singles Club:

quote:

Actually this one had a stack of O rings, two had drywall anchors, one had a larger bolt jammed in it. One of several WTF moments during the teardown! But nothing unrepairable.

Four of the valve covers had robertson screws and drywall anchors inserted :suicide:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

spog posted:

YouTube: South Main Auto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAUkmDhjgEM

This is a slight different mechanical failure video in that it is long and there no explosions.

However, if you are automotively or mechanically-minded, I think you will get a kick out of it (if you aren't interested in diagnostics, you can skip to 17:20 onwards)

SMA is the hands-down best car wrenching channel in my opinion. He doesn't do stupid hi jinks and just gets right to work after short intros. I've learned so much on how to diagnose and repair random problems from him. It's nice that on occasion he's got his whole family on there. Seems like good people.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
He had one video, though, where he was working on a Saturday and launched into an Obamacare rant. The comments...

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Dagen H posted:

He had one video, though, where he was working on a Saturday and launched into an Obamacare rant. The comments...

Can't say I've seen him mention politics or religion. Either way he's good at his job so I don't care what his politics are.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Slim Pickens posted:

Crossposting from CA:

When you think you've seen everything a lovely PO could possibly do, they find a way to surprise you again. From the Facebook Ducati Singles Club:

Four of the valve covers had robertson screws and drywall anchors inserted :suicide:

This frightens, confuses, and infuriates me.
How do you even come to decisions like this?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
If the screw fits...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm going to guess he stripped them, found a screw that would screw in, gasketed them, and said gently caress it
Orange RTV was a dead giveaway to walk

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MrOnBicycle posted:

Also, I'm an idiot and just not realized that this wasn't the tool thread...

So to compensate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doSLyU-mz7Q

This is loving insane and whoever put those tyres on should be taken out behind the chemical sheds and shot for gross negligence.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
The real failure is the size of those brake pads and the completely solid, yet tiny brake disk.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

stevewm posted:

I once vaporized a screwdriver...

I did that once, using a screwdriver to jump the starter contacts on a caterpillar DP-40.

And there was that time I dropped the box wrench on the fully charged and unprotected ultracapacitor, resulting in the wrench welding itself to both posts. That was an exciting day.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Memento posted:

This is loving insane and whoever put those tyres on should be taken out behind the chemical sheds and shot for gross negligence.

Yeah probably one of the worst yet not too far fetched things I've seen when it comes to clueless car owners. That would never ever pass the yearly inspection in my country, which is very comforting to know.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The new Wrangler's front axle is attached to the frame with booger welds and they are failing.

https://jalopnik.com/new-jeep-wrangler-frame-welds-are-failing-and-now-fca-i-1829551649

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Throatwarbler posted:

The new Wrangler's front axle is attached to the frame with booger welds and they are failing.

https://jalopnik.com/new-jeep-wrangler-frame-welds-are-failing-and-now-fca-i-1829551649

Welding is part of my job, as well as developing new welds, sectioning, etching, all that. Insufficient penetration is serious business in oilfield stuff and can result in death. There's likely an engineer somewhere in FCA that hand-waved that joint after some shop trash brought it to their attention.

E: looking more closely at the pictures it looks like the programmer for that welder missed the joint and nobody said anything. Unless it's electron beam welded there's no way that joint would hold since it looks like it should have been a fillet weld, not a straight through full pen ebeam weld. Ebeam is also highly unlikely on mild steel since he hardness goes way up and makes it prone to cracking.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 6, 2018

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

And those are the welds we can see

:tinfoil:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

BloodBag posted:

Welding is part of my job, as well as developing new welds, sectioning, etching, all that. Insufficient penetration is serious business in oilfield stuff and can result in death. There's likely an engineer somewhere in FCA that hand-waved that joint after some shop trash brought it to their attention.

E: looking more closely at the pictures it looks like the programmer for that welder missed the joint and nobody said anything. Unless it's electron beam welded there's no way that joint would hold since it looks like it should have been a fillet weld, not a straight through full pen ebeam weld. Ebeam is also highly unlikely on mild steel since he hardness goes way up and makes it prone to cracking.

So it’s fine? Nothing to worry about?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

builds character posted:

I'm sure the FCA QA dept was like 'they're going to be mall crawlers, it's fine'

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

builds character posted:

Oh god no. It missed the joint and on another it cracked. Willing to bet some parameters were set wrong on the robo welder.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So roughly 4% of Wranglers are used offroad?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

BloodBag posted:

Oh god no. It missed the joint and on another it cracked. Willing to bet some parameters were set wrong on the robo welder.

Sorry, that was tongue in cheek. Is this a thing that you think they’ll fix easily for future ones and that they’ll be able to just weld up on existing models?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Fifty Three posted:

I once tried to diagnose parasitic draw from a faulty head unit by setting the cheap multimeter to "current" and absent-mindedly measuring across the battery terminals. My buddy was holding the meter, I was holding the probes.

"Weird, it's just dashes. Uh, this is getting warm." "Huh, do you smell ozone? Lemme take the probes off-" :science: *spark* :science:

The next day in our EE lecture, the professor specifically taught us about multimeters and how not to measure current. Timely.

Turned out to be the head unit after all. Multimeter still works, just smells like smoke all the time. :v:

This is why having one of those 0-30V DC Current Limited Power Supplies is so nice. I use a ~30 eBay unit and it does what I need. (I do almost no analog anything) I dont always trust the current draw readouts but you get an idea and you dont have to worry about smoking stuff if your real problem is a short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

builds character posted:

Pffft. A company that tosses on the wrong badges and will slap different trim colors on the opposite side of the vehicle. Of course there is nothing to worry about.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 6, 2018