Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The river survival mode needs more coop minigames. If you hit every balloon, you run out of new ones and get repeats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

god drat Mario Party is just awful

Mini games only online and limited to joycons is just the kick in the dick

To be fair, the online part being bad was something everyone saw coming miles away. It sucks but hoping for fully featured online when they never had any intention of delivering it was setting oneself up for failure.

As for the Joycons only, it seems from what I've seen of the gameplay footage that these games were designed to be played with the Joycons. Asking to play with other controllers would be like asking to play WarioWare Smooth Moves on the Wii with a GameCube controller. You can want it, but it wouldn't work. That said I haven't played it myself so I don't know how many games depend on the shape and flexibility of the Joycon, but I understand why they might have restricted it that way.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

.TakaM posted:

, and not Fortnite which has probably the worst gyro controls so far.

Have you tried them recently? I like fortnites better than splatoon 2's setup with all the options they give now, especially since you get full use of the right stick. All they need to add is a camera reset to go with the custom controls they have now, it'll be perfect.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Macaluso posted:

Yo does Nintendo have a patent on the split controller thing because I need that poo poo on my PC like yesterday

Pretty sure you can connect the joycons to anything as a generic controller via Bluetooth.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

To be fair, the online part being bad was something everyone saw coming miles away. It sucks but hoping for fully featured online when they never had any intention of delivering it was setting oneself up for failure.

As for the Joycons only, it seems from what I've seen of the gameplay footage that these games were designed to be played with the Joycons. Asking to play with other controllers would be like asking to play WarioWare Smooth Moves on the Wii with a GameCube controller. You can want it, but it wouldn't work. That said I haven't played it myself so I don't know how many games depend on the shape and flexibility of the Joycon, but I understand why they might have restricted it that way.

This is definitely the case. There are games that have you hold a joycon like a baton. There's one where you hold it up and fly it around like a kid sticking their hand out the window of a car. I guess any controller with good motion controls could conceivably do it, but it would feel weird.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I beat Undertale for the first time today and drat, it was really fun and cool. Now I get why people have been talking about it forever

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

Pretty sure you can connect the joycons to anything as a generic controller via Bluetooth.

Only as two single controllers, you have to do a lot to have them recognized as a 1 controller, not worth the hassle at the moment.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Someday somebody is gonna make mayflash equivalent that handles merging both joycon's inputs without you having to muck around too much. I might buy one too, I'm pretty comfortable with joycons.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Consummate Professional posted:

I beat Undertale for the first time today and drat, it was really fun and cool. Now I get why people have been talking about it forever

Now you just need to beat it two more times on the other routes. Beating the normal route is just the beginning.:)

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Now you just need to beat it two more times on the other routes. Beating the normal route is just the beginning.:)

I am actually way down for this. I did some poking around online and there is a poo poo ton of stuff I missed. It was cool going in blind.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Is there anything else to unlock via chatting in the hub other than expert AI and the four extra characters?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Astro7x posted:

Maybe not destroy your young kids in Mario Party every single game and let them win once and a while.

i mean yeah, obviously thats what i do
thing is my 4 year old son isnt the same kind of dumbshit you are and is able to recognize that his dad who he asks for help any time he has trouble with anything suddenly seems incompetent

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
If I were a kid today I'm pretty sure my mother would destroy me in every single game of Mario Party, but then use it as a chance to teach me to reflect on why I lost.

Next time I visit her I'm gonna have her play through Mega Man 11 because she likes that series and I think she'll be grateful for how generous the newcomer mode is.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

the handicap thats been in literally every other mario party game ever made was also a good way to even things out between siblings of different ages/skill levels who havent developed the empathy and social awareness of an adult

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013
Put motherfucking Silhouette Mirage on the motherfucking Nintendo switch

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dangerburrd posted:

Put motherfucking Silhouette Mirage on the motherfucking Nintendo switch

Original or Working Design's version because thats a tusslin' choice

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The one that wasn't made worse by Working Designs

night slime
May 14, 2014

Kly posted:

thing is my 4 year old son isnt the same kind of dumbshit you are and is able to recognize that his dad who he asks for help any time he has trouble with anything suddenly seems incompetent

You're unable to fool a 4-year-old and you're calling people dumbshit?

Dragalia Lost has pretty good music. Idk about the game since I'm only on like the second level.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

night slime posted:

You're unable to fool a 4-year-old and you're calling people dumbshit?

People don't like condescending behavior at any age. Even the 4yo knows they need to :gitgud:

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 6, 2018

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Fooling children is an art. I play tag with elementary schoolers frequently (as part of my job, I don't just chase them) and there's a big difference between jogging in place til they get ya and giving them believable openings to catch up or gain some ground.

What I'm saying is, parents, get better at lying to your children.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Have you tried them recently? I like fortnites better than splatoon 2's setup with all the options they give now, especially since you get full use of the right stick. All they need to add is a camera reset to go with the custom controls they have now, it'll be perfect.

I haven't played Fortnite for a while, but the gyro worked by tilting the controller for left/right aim when in other games like Splatoon you turn it like a steering wheel- which I prefer much more

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

.TakaM posted:

I haven't played Fortnite for a while, but the gyro worked by tilting the controller for left/right aim when in other games like Splatoon you turn it like a steering wheel- which I prefer much more

You can change it now in Fortnite to work more like how Splatoon does it. It lets you choose between yaw or roll gyro.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

.TakaM posted:

That's actually a toggle setting, now. You're describing roll, which is great for handheld and sometimes pro controller, but you can switch it to yaw, which is what I have it set for my joycons.

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can change it now in Fortnite to work more like how Splatoon does it. It lets you choose between yaw or roll gyro.
Yeah this. Anytime I see complaints about fortnite gyro, i just assume they haven't touched it since there devs started messing with it. It's really good now. I even play with no aim assist for better accuracy, since auto aim makes it harder to lead shots.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 6, 2018

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Guys there was more than one Mario Party on the N64 you can't just say "since the N64 one" BE SPECIFIC THESE THINGS MATTER

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ColdPie posted:

Guys there was more than one Mario Party on the N64 you can't just say "since the N64 one" BE SPECIFIC THESE THINGS MATTER
They were all good though :yeah:

I can't remember exactly when they started going downhill. Which one was the one with the linear tracks?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

I used to play the N64 ones alone as a kid and I’d still have fun.

:smith:

My best friend is the Millenium Star.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Kly posted:

You’re just preparing him for the inevitable future when you’re old and incompetent and he’s the one taking care of you.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The day your kid takes pity on you and pulls their punches to let you win will be the saddest day in your life.

This is the sole reason why I’ll never have kids.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Consummate Professional posted:

Be sure to go down the genocide route and post in here how you turned the game off and cried in the bathroom for hours from the monster you've become.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

SMP would be really bad for a an all-girl party:
Peach!
Daisy!
Rosalina!
POM-POM!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Your Computer posted:

They were all good though :yeah:

I can't remember exactly when they started going downhill. Which one was the one with the linear tracks?

Seriously, the N64 Mario Parties were some of my most enjoyable memories in my childhood. I even completely cleared Minigame Island, Minigame Coaster on all difficulties (a task many would say is madness), and got the required amount of coins in the Game Guy room for the last single-player minigame in Mario Party 3.

Super Mario Party reminds me the most of these classic Mario Parties which is a good thing. There's the standard Mario Party, fleshed out side modes like Mario Party 3's Duel Mode, and the Minigame Island equivalent in Challenge Road.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Harlock posted:

Is this partner mode or Mario party mode? I played 5 games of regular Mario party and we never hit a 2v2.

it was just mario party mode. 1 system, 2 controllers. there might be some current board state logic that increases the likelihood of a 2v2 but i dunno

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I just wanted to say that I hate being forced to use motion controls. They've always been poo poo and the controls in Mario Party suck.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Would you prefer to spin the stick in the bicycle race?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

No. 6 posted:

I just wanted to say that I hate being forced to use motion controls. They've always been poo poo and the controls in Mario Party suck.

Counterpoint: mashing A or wiggling a stick to shake up a can rather than vigorously masturbating thin air with a Wiimote would have sucked

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you don't like motion controls then modern Mario party games might not be for you, but I personally think they bring a lot of variety to the minigames. Also motion control minigames are easier for non-gamers to understand and play than the ones that use traditional controls.

I guess there's an argument to be made for a "hardcore" MP mode with difficult minigames, no bonus stars, etc but I feel like that's kind of missing the point. Mario Party is a game you play with your gamer friends while drunk/with your family hopefully not drunk.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

No. 6 posted:

Nah they're good actually.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

I played the game and in my opinion Super Mario Party for the Nintendo Switch is good

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Where is the professional no items one map Mario Party scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

whaley posted:

Where is the professional no items one map Mario Party scene
And all minigames are Hot Potato.

Rafting Hard mode is hard.