Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Am I the only person who's super bummed that they didn't feature any non-joke ending where the correct/alternative choice would have been to self-destruct without explicit prompt to do so at some dramatic, fitting moment?

It seemed like an obvious one for me. I know there's the one where you blow up the Bunker but that is basically a joke ending.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AlternateNu posted:

Resurrecting this thread to say I’ve finally picked this up and have kept myself spoiler free.

I’m not too far in (just saved the little sister bot in the desert), but I’m going to make some random predictions from what little I know.

1. Humans are already extinct.
2. Either the moon base is a lie or humans just died out there.
3. The machines were not an alien creation, but a human one and we basically killed ourselves.
4. The naked Sephiroth looking fuckers are the machines trying to resurrect the humans they killed off.
5. I will have to fight 9S at some point.

Well. Wish me luck. :v:

Just got through the five main endings, and quoting myself to say 3.5/5 ain't bad. :v:

Great game with probably my favorite VG soundtrack of all time, so yeah. Now, time to get the full Emil package!

Dessel posted:

Am I the only person who's super bummed that they didn't feature any non-joke ending where the correct/alternative choice would have been to self-destruct without explicit prompt to do so at some dramatic, fitting moment?

It seemed like an obvious one for me. I know there's the one where you blow up the Bunker but that is basically a joke ending.

I think the mechanics of the game kind of limit the developers' play with that. e.g., Self-destruct doesn't actually kill you. It just puts you at one hp and staggers you. They could've thrown in another trigger in a specific scenario, but that would've sucked to have to get an "actual" ending while still dealing with the SURPRISE! NO SAVE! schtick.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 4, 2018

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I watched this video of Yoko Taro talking about Drakengard 3 on Youtube the other day and I've been thinking about it since. I don't remember if someone might have linked it here, but here it is anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD6xCLlF5dY

The thing he says about killing or "standing above others" in games being a source of triumph was really interesting to me in that 3 years later Automata's ending E proves that the things he says in press videos or interviews are his real thoughts on game development and not just some attempt to be wacky or eccentric. Ending E is a perfect example of a moment of triumph in games coming not from standing above others but rather standing with others, and how that can be more powerful and impactful than defeating a difficult boss in Dark Souls or winning a close race in Forza. He says something about how you can't have a three minute game even though it might be the most beautiful three minutes ever created; ending E has to be the result of him trying to create this beautiful moment outside the constraints of video games that we typically see as unbreakable. It's kind of beautiful in itself that he must have been thinking about how to do this for at least those 3 years before he was able to pull it off, like it was a kind of triumph for himself.

It's interesting to think of his other games in this way too. Nier 1 and Drakengard 3 have these reversals where there is no triumph after the final kill, or it is bittersweet.

If nothing else, Taro practices what he preaches and I respect that.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I may be functional retarded but after Ending C I don't get how you are supposed to open the new menu. RT and back is what? Also, what triggers the flower quest?
Edit: Just going there several times.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 4, 2018

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
What do you mean? Which new one? Like, if you're talking about the chapter select and debug menu? it should be right there on the main menu, when you go to load a game, I'm too much of a selfish rear end in a top hat to give up my save, cause I like my chapter select... I will sacrifice it when I beat the game on normal, my second playthrough..

Holy poo poo, the jump in difficulty from easy to normal is pretty crazy, I don't even want to think about the like ultra hard setting.. I'm over leveled cause someone in the PS4 thread was saying their girlfriend still couldn't play it with auto chips equipped, so I was like, wtf... how, so I was curious how that could happen, if you truly did have them on, and left 2B around the area where you meet Adam and Eve, and it's a difficult area, I accidentally went back and before I knew it a robot popped out of the ground and one shotted me before I knew what was going on, so I set it to easy and went out and smoked a spliff, and came back, and like 20 minutes went by and they weren't in any danger of dying. But I was like level 20 instead of 10, and took the chips off, and then I could actually fight them, and it was decent training on how to dodge, and like i didn't realize there were combos etc... like is the press circle to kick robot at another robot.coolgif even in easy mode? cause if it is I somehow missed it.

But yeah, drat, easy mode with auto on literally plays itself and I love that, it's just like experiencing the story, but now that I love this game, I don't mind a challenge. It just sort of terrifies me to think about losing my chip set which cost a ridiculous amount of money to make..

Also, I barely remember the gold robots, but god drat, they're incredibly hard on normal, the stubby takes like 20 minutes of overleveled, good chip set smashing to kill (while still fighting the two other big robots), but drat.. I saw a video of someone beating like the level 140 colosseum on the hardest difficulty and it's more impressive to me than like any Dark Souls or Bloodborne challenge run... But maybe that's cause I'm somehow good at Bloodborne and not this.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it’s been weeks and I still don’t get how that one goon’s girlfriend apparently couldn’t play even with the auto chips on

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Imhotep posted:

It just sort of terrifies me to think about losing my chip set which cost a ridiculous amount of money to make..
There's actually very little danger of doing this unless you only have a single saveslot and save over it after dying twice without recovering your body. If you die and don't think you can (or failed to) get your stuff back you can always load the last checkpoint or savegame manually. It's really not as "Dark Souls" as the system initially might sound.

Then again i've seen people on easy/normal difficulties die so rarely that when it actually happens they completely forget your stuff stays on your corpse and don't notice that all their chips are gone until hours later. Granted, if they didn't notice them missing, they most likely didn't need them anyway.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
End game question: How hard is Emil superboss and what strategies would you recommend?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

End game question: How hard is Emil superboss and what strategies would you recommend?

Dodge like your life depends on it, don't be afraid to grind with the rabbit so that you can speed the leveling process up, and take advantage of a certain post game feature so that when you fight him you can have some backup.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah it’s been weeks and I still don’t get how that one goon’s girlfriend apparently couldn’t play even with the auto chips on

Just a friend, but I couldn't believe it myself but I was watching when it happened. She's just really bad at brawlers. She was able to complete HZD on easy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RoadCrewWorker posted:

There's actually very little danger of doing this unless you only have a single saveslot and save over it after dying twice without recovering your body. If you die and don't think you can (or failed to) get your stuff back you can always load the last checkpoint or savegame manually. It's really not as "Dark Souls" as the system initially might sound.
I didn't realize how this worked and died in one of the infinite spawning enemies pits, and then saved when I popped out of the save point after dying.

Then I noticed my chips were gone. I think I tried getting them back, died, and reloaded the save where they were still on the ground a couple times before turning i t to Easy and using some of the auto chips to become invincible and eventually managing to clear enough space around my body to actually loot the drat thing.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
O duh, and like, even if I did die, I'd probably have enough spare chips to make it to where ever I did die and put it on easy/get my souls back.

Boogalo posted:

Just a friend, but I couldn't believe it myself but I was watching when it happened. She's just really bad at brawlers. She was able to complete HZD on easy.

LOL, I'm p good at games now bc of Bloodborne, and now I'm decent at Nier after never having played a game that looks like a DBZ fight or something, but most games I cant be arsed to really learn the intricacies of. But I finally like picked up HZD again and it's getting good, or is like compelling story wise, but I generally just don't have the patience for open world games, or combat like this, where you set up traps and whatever, although I've been getting by okay with just the spear and bow and arrows... but drat, I've nearly given up, and I'm probably on easy.. but I guess when I die, It's bc of doing stupid poo poo like taking on quests that I later realize are recommended level 40 and I'm like level 17 or something..

edit: nvm I'm playing on normal, but still, that's mind blowing to me, how could you sit there and like have advice, and auto chips, and still fail, but beat HZD on easy? like, Nier basically plays itself, that's not even an exaggeration, I can upload the footage I took where I literally left and it recorded for 20 minutes, and those auto chips are incredible at dodging.. plus auto heal, and like just holding down fire, idk. I'm genuinely like just like wondering how you could even find a way TO die with auto chips on..

What post game feature are you talking about that gives you 'back up'

imhotep fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 6, 2018

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think there are some boss attacks that you couldn't just dodge or attack spheres to clear a hole in?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
IIRC you have to jump over shockwaves I guess? I always had problems dodging those for some reason

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

My copy of Long Story Short is out for delivery. I half want to drop the book I'm reading to start it, but it's definitely next.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I got a copy at NYCC and have not cracked it yet.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Lol is that Maria?

I just got a copy of the original Nier, and I think it's a lot better than what I've heard, after loving the poo poo out of Automata. But then I was skeptical again, because after sitting on Automata for over a year probably, I needed my fix and got Drakengard 3 because it was cheap digitally on PS3, which was, at first, like, eh this isn't bad! I don't get the criticisms, this almost plays like Automata if it were on a PS2.5! Then like 3 hours later I'm still on a super linear path, fighting the same enemy types with like 2, or maybe just one exception. And even the like third actual boss is the same exact model as the first.. But I'm glad I'm playing on easy, because it's supposed to get better later? Story wise and setting, I guess? Idk, but so far not even that is interesting, Zero is like, potentially interesting but the dialogue so far is only good because she reminds me of like a hosed up 2B and A2. And then Mikhail and your first like servant dude are both insufferable... I'm surprised at how tonally different and just like, amazing Automata is after sort of seeing a slow evolution even from like D3 and Nier to Automata.

I'm only like, at the beginning where you look for Yonah, in the Ruins, but I'm excited that it seems like the book, Grimoirre, sp, is basically your pod. Awesome. I'm very happy that they introduce that in the intro because I might have noped out after my 50th shade I jump plus triangle spammed.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Drakengard 3 is explicitly not the same as Nier, you shouldn't play it expecting the same sort of feeling going in. It's also not a very fun game so going easy mode is the right call. Though if you don't like Mikhail, you might just be evil.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I got the Strange works of Taro Yoko book. It's a pretty good read. Haven't read all of it. But i'm liking it so far.

Here are some bits I like.
the foreword:

Always thought it was odd that Yoko had no involvement with Drakengard 2

The vita version of Nier that never came :smith:

History of a weapons history :allears:

Even though Nier at launch was a commercial and financial failure. It was the glue that got all the right people to make Nier Automata possible.

:unsmith:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

The correct way to play Drakkengard is to let the Dark Id do it for you.

https://lparchive.org/author/The%20Dark%20Id

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sure if you're a coward

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Or sane

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I mean, I didn't buy it expecting it to be, but it kind of is? The combat is generally the same but seemingly like 10 years behind as far as the tech goes.. and no pod, but with the flight units of nier automata, but in 3d space, which is cool. Idk, hopefully i can blow through it, but i'm weird and doing all of Accord's challenge things...

But yeah, actually besides the weird poo poo like the insinuation of sleeping with dragons, Mikhail making GBS threads for a good 15 seconds in the first 20 minutes of the game, and just found out through the menus, that he's somehow a younger, reverted version of Michael? And Zero seemed like that was the only being she actually respected. But I guess you're right, he's one of the least awful characters I guess. Am I supposed to know why she's trying to kill her sisters, beyond "wanting to control the world?". They all seem pretty terrible regardless. And is Drakengard related in any way to Nier, and Nier:A beyond the like dragon and giant causing the disease that kicks the events of Nier off, I guess? I still only remember little bits of the Nier plot, but it's interesting that the library Popola's in makes a very important appearance in Automata.. And so early into the game. But yeahh, I got D3 because it's a prequel to Drakengard 1, and I can skip 2 right? But geez, if I end up finishing 3, and I'm definitely finishing Nier, then I'm going to have to play 1 just to become a a Yoko Taro expert.. As far as console games, he's only done those 5 games right? I can read about any official canon stuff from the mobile stuff, but geez, weird that he put out all these middling games, then Automata.. I mean, Nier should be great, but 3 Drakengard games, and one between the release of Nier and Automata, is just weird.

Also, I posted this in the PS4 thread and idk if I did here as well, but it's interesting.. It's probably just Square showing off their latest version of whatever engine they use, but I just got a very Draken-nier-y vibe immediately and freaked out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZQZZSRQrT8

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Drakengard is all about terrible people doing terrible things, so you just have to have some fun with it. It's not like Nier where you are supposed to immediately sympathize with the characters, or really feel bad for them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Momomo posted:

Drakengard is all about terrible people doing terrible things, so you just have to have some fun with it. It's not like Nier where you are supposed to immediately sympathize with the characters, or really feel bad for them.

Darkengard is about horrible people doing monstrous things to save the world.

Nier is about decent, sympathetic people doing understandable things and causing disasters.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The central question that drives Drakengard is “what kind of person would enjoy being in a hack and slash game?”, while NieR’s is “What would drive a person to do horrible things, but firmly believe they are in the right for doing so?”

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

What would drive a person to spend weeks grinding for a white moonflower, but firmly believe they are in the right for doing so?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Imhotep posted:

What do you mean? Which new one? Like, if you're talking about the chapter select and debug menu? it should be right there on the main menu, when you go to load a game, I'm too much of a selfish rear end in a top hat to give up my save, cause I like my chapter select... I will sacrifice it when I beat the game on normal, my second playthrough..

Wait, that is the same menu? Ok, then.
Finished all main endings and got the DLC. Any recommendation as to where to grind out Crit Up chips? Doesn't feel complete otherwise.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My girlfriend sent me a 2B plush because she had three. We have been having a good time together.

https://twitter.com/CJacobsSA/status/1051585078260916224

https://twitter.com/CJacobsSA/status/1051412044161921024

https://twitter.com/CJacobsSA/status/1051054768263704577

https://twitter.com/CJacobsSA/status/1049781159696244736

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
So according to Rekka Alexiel (or however it's spelled) the Long Story Short english translation is a loving nightmare of possibly machine translation and/or overly literal translation that is 1- full of grammatical errors and repetition and 2 - incorrectly translated important lines from the game (This Cannot Continue is "Th1s 1s n0 g00d" in the book).

I believe their twitter goes more into it but apparently it's a real shitshow. I have my copy but haven't opened it yet.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

RubberLuffy posted:

So according to Rekka Alexiel (or however it's spelled) the Long Story Short english translation is a loving nightmare of possibly machine translation and/or overly literal translation that is 1- full of grammatical errors and repetition and 2 - incorrectly translated important lines from the game (This Cannot Continue is "Th1s 1s n0 g00d" in the book).

I believe their twitter goes more into it but apparently it's a real shitshow. I have my copy but haven't opened it yet.

I wouldn't say it's machine translated, but yeah it's pretty bad. The prose feels really lifeless and overly literal in places, like the "this is no good" line. The machines all speak with 0s and 1s in their text, too, except for Adam and Eve sometimes, which is pretty annoying.

The translation is bad, but even looking past that, the book is pretty disappointing. The story is insanely rushed, and I mean ludicrous speed. The entire prologue of the game is a 2-page summary, and then it jumps straight to meeting Jackass in the desert and encountering Adam, to give you an idea of how breakneck the pacing is. It's basically a cliffs notes of the plot with none of the breathing room that lets you explore the setting, get to know the characters, or grow to care about them.

So it's like... if you've never played Nier Automata or watched an LP or anything, nothing here is going to really have any emotional resonance because you don't get to know anyone. But if you have played it, there's very little to gain from the novelization that you won't get from just replaying the game again, and you'll probably have more fun that way too.

So... who is the novelization for?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ah, the "Billy and the Cloneasaurus" demographic.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Long Story Short is an okay way to reminisce about the story and review your understanding of it without spending dozens of hours replaying the game. But yeah ultimately not worth it, it feels like rewarding lazy localizations given the clunky/dry English translation and typos galore (9S is "9B" once, Commander changes from "him" to "her" within the same paragraph, Pod 042 as "142" etc.)

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Keiichi Okabe did a Mega Man 2 remix for Smash Ultimate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zKqvcwnmGA

Soul Calibur VI is out!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Keiichi Okabe did a Mega Man 2 remix for Smash Ultimate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zKqvcwnmGA

Soul Calibur VI is out!

I see you and raise you something I spent way too long working on:

I also did a (not as good) Kaine, and a really lovely Emil that I won't share.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Update:
I also made Zero from Drakengard 3:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Soul Calibur VI is out!

Well, one of the rumors had to come true eventually, and i guess SC6 was the most likely one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35H8A4wO5jw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
wtf they're gonna add 2B but not A2. Why you gotta do me like this