Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Edit: Wrong thread, oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
You know what would have been fantastic? To not have blown the nuclear option for absolutely no reason whatsoever during Gorsuch just to please the noisy base and instead save it for a nomination which had more of an effect on the courts makeup and for a nominee who was on much more shaky grounds both with the senators and the general public.

Which is exactly what I argued itt mar/april of 2017, and it was exactly 100% correct. How loving stupid it was for the dem leadership to throw themselves onto the sword back then, because that option was exactly the sort of arrow you would want in your quiver right loving now. Using it back then gave the republicans complete cover to blow it up because there was no real public opposition to Gorsuch and using it today quite possibly would be the cover Collins and co needed to scuttle Kav.

Maybe it still would have failed but it's completely inarguable that there was a much greater chance for it to be able to stop Kav than Gorsuch.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Yeah, how could those Democrats not expect Republicans to nominate someone with a history of sexual assault and drinking problems, rather than Gorsuch round 2.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they would've blown it up either way. they don't need "cover" for anything. there's no "cover" for holding a seat open for a year.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'm sorry, are we pretending that Turtle wouldn't immediately have killed the fillibuster this time instead?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

All republicans would do is change the rules for this nomination and approve him anyways.

Democratic senators have zero power to do anything right now. They had zero power to do anything with Garland or Gorsuch. There was nothing they could do at any point to change anything and there’s nothing they can do now.

E:f;b.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
"Why couldn't the Democrats have lost the filibuster now instead of then?"

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I bet out of all of this, Gorsuch feels pretty drat good.

Same feeling Bush 43 must have felt the moment Trump took office.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Off topic slightly, but I know everyone knows Ginsburg is old, but I was reading about Breyer and he too is 80 years old and literally looks like a skeleton. I sure hope they both make it 2.5 years

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

icantfindaname posted:

Off topic slightly, but I know everyone knows Ginsburg is old, but I was reading about Breyer and he too is 80 years old and literally looks like a skeleton. I sure hope they both make it 2.5 years

I'm surprised none of them have been suspiciously Russia-poisoned so far, to be honest.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I think, I have to think, that if a loony judge was murdered even the Republicans would nominate a Democrat to replace them and vice versa. I may be wrong, but I hope we never have to find out.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
They nominated and continue to back a man who spent half a hearing screaming about Democrat conspiracies and blaming the Clintons for things not going his way, exactly how high do you have to be to think they wouldn't slam through the hardest right motherfucker they could find given the opportunity to shift the court that much further their way?

I honestly want to know, for medical science, if nothing else.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ilkhan posted:

I think, I have to think, that if a loony judge was murdered even the Republicans would nominate a Democrat to replace them and vice versa. I may be wrong, but I hope we never have to find out.

Mr. Sorkin! Mr. Sorkin, wake up! You were having a dream about the West Wing again

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ilkhan posted:

They wouldn't. They would appoint another 50-year-old arch-conservative like Gorsuch or Kavanaugh and gloat about how they'll win every decision 6-3 for the next 30 years.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

tsa posted:

You know what would have been fantastic? To not have blown the nuclear option for absolutely no reason whatsoever during Gorsuch just to please the noisy base and instead save it for a nomination which had more of an effect on the courts makeup and for a nominee who was on much more shaky grounds both with the senators and the general public.

Which is exactly what I argued itt mar/april of 2017, and it was exactly 100% correct. How loving stupid it was for the dem leadership to throw themselves onto the sword back then, because that option was exactly the sort of arrow you would want in your quiver right loving now. Using it back then gave the republicans complete cover to blow it up because there was no real public opposition to Gorsuch and using it today quite possibly would be the cover Collins and co needed to scuttle Kav.

Maybe it still would have failed but it's completely inarguable that there was a much greater chance for it to be able to stop Kav than Gorsuch.

lol imagine being dumb enough to believe there is some slick procedural maneuver that would have changed any of this

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Kazak_Hstan posted:

lol imagine being dumb enough to believe there is some slick procedural maneuver that would have changed any of this

The slick procedural move is called a pile driver and they should have used it on McConnell and then Grassley.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
The slick procedural move would be to not lose elections.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

therobit posted:

The slick procedural move would be to not lose elections.

Soooo, gerrymandering then?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Republicans are going to so completely destroy the credibility and functioning of every single institution and form of power that the only option will be to do away with them. That could clear the road for something fresh and new, but in your military worshiping police state is probably just going to result in brutal military dictatorship.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

ilkhan posted:

Hahaha

Hahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Moon Atari posted:

Republicans are going to so completely destroy the credibility and functioning of every single institution and form of power that the only option will be to do away with them. That could clear the road for something fresh and new, but in your military worshiping police state is probably just going to result in brutal military dictatorship.

I’m trying to imagine what the United States will look like with this trend and it’s probably a bizarre Authoritarian-Capitalist-Kleptocracy but some people get really fancy cars, houses and can even afford healthcare.

Basically, Russia.

On the flip side, I do not see Republicans maintaining power - the upcoming Demographic trend in 20-30 years just don’t lead to a Trump-like figure winning an election.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ilkhan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WZLJpMOxS4

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tab8715 posted:

the upcoming Demographic trend in 20-30 years just don’t lead to a Trump-like figure winning an election.

Why not?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Demographic destiny will not save you, relying on it is the same as kicking back and relying on hypothetical future tech to save you from climate change. At best it might reduce the explicit white nationalist component of the vicious kleptocracy. Every race is vulnerable to FYGM and just world fallacy though. You pretty much just had Kanye say the quiet part loud about black conservativism: that even slavery is cool so long as it isnt explicitly race based. Plus if you are relying on Hispanic population growth they might just be subsumed into whiteness, or even if they help solve racism it will be a trade off with women's and lgbt rights (Hispanics lean religious conservative compared to the majority).

Other than that though you are already seeing minority rule getting more confident and brazen. In 20-30 years it might not matter how badly the numbers are against the government. I'm not sure it matters now.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Yeah if you're convinced demographics will save you, merely look how long it took South African blacks to gain their rights. An entrenched minority in power can last for a loooong time.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cantorsdust posted:

Yeah if you're convinced demographics will save you, merely look how long it took South African blacks to gain their rights. An entrenched minority in power can last for a loooong time.

The Shia/Sunni disparity in pre-'03 Iraq was like this too. It boils down to enough people thinking there's a peaceful resolution that doesn't involve them risking their weed /car/job/twitter followers, etc.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

See also, Brazil.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

So, I was looking at the number of Article III Judges Trump has appointed, and aside from wanting to retch at him having put 26 on the Federal Appellate Courts, which is close to half as many as Obama got in 8 years, I noticed that he's only managed to appoint 41 District court judges, compared to Obama's 268. Now if Trump were to have 8 years and keep a senate as friendly as this one, that's still on pace to outappoint Obama by the end, but it seems quite sluggish compared to the Appellate courts.

Now, I'm well aware of the power and importance of appellate courts to overall jurisprudence, but it still struck me as odd that the District courts seem kind of neglected by comparison given the GOP's fervor to entrench their power in the court system. I wonder what gives?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

So, I was looking at the number of Article III Judges Trump has appointed, and aside from wanting to retch at him having put 26 on the Federal Appellate Courts, which is close to half as many as Obama got in 8 years, I noticed that he's only managed to appoint 41 District court judges, compared to Obama's 268. Now if Trump were to have 8 years and keep a senate as friendly as this one, that's still on pace to outappoint Obama by the end, but it seems quite sluggish compared to the Appellate courts.

Now, I'm well aware of the power and importance of appellate courts to overall jurisprudence, but it still struck me as odd that the District courts seem kind of neglected by comparison given the GOP's fervor to entrench their power in the court system. I wonder what gives?

Isn't Schumer slow walking them sorta

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

Isn't Schumer slow walking them sorta

That’s part of it, but another part of it is that Trump is lazy.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I look forward to Justice Zach Morris

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ilkhan posted:

You need a brain scan. When Thurgood Marshall retired, Bush Senior nominated Clarence the non-talking Mule to fill his hahahahahaha

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
There is a difference between a retiring / natural causes judge and a murdered judge. The day a supreme court judge gets murdered and replaced by an opposite thinking judge our democracy *really* will be dead. And the gloves will be off, and the mob will rule. That will be a dark day. Is it possible? Absolutely. But I have to think we haven't sunk that low yet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ilkhan posted:

There is a difference between a retiring / natural causes judge and a murdered judge. The day a supreme court judge gets murdered and replaced by an opposite thinking judge our democracy *really* will be dead. And the gloves will be off, and the mob will rule.

Yes, but presumably there would be a downside as well.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The gloves came off when they refused to consider Garland

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ilkhan posted:

There is a difference between a retiring / natural causes judge and a murdered judge. The day a supreme court judge gets murdered and replaced by an opposite thinking judge our democracy *really* will be dead. And the gloves will be off, and the mob will rule. That will be a dark day. Is it possible? Absolutely. But I have to think we haven't sunk that low yet.

This is exactly what happened to Merrick Garland's nomination

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
All that effort and Soros money to make Scalia's death look natural, wasted :(

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The question isn't whether the GOP replaces RBG/Breyer with a Heritage Foundation justice, it's whether the new "austere" desert concentration camp has started killing their charges by that time.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ilkhan posted:

Not to the Republicans. They literally poo poo on everything Marshall stood for with C.T., and they way they crammed that incompetent schmuck through became their gameplan of today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ilkhan posted:

Who are you?