Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

haveblue posted:

This is exactly what happened to Merrick Garland's nomination
Ignoring someone is equivalent to murdering someone? If I was on the Senate I would have voted for him, but the prior person in the office wasn't *murdered*.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

The gloves came off when they refused to consider Garland

The gloves came off after brown v board. It just takes a while.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Ron Jeremy posted:

The gloves came off after brown v board. It just takes a while.

Gloves came off after Confederates realized they didn't actually lose.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Please. If a liberal Justice was obviously murdered, they'd nominate a fuckhead who merely sips blood from a classy goblet, then bask in the media's praise of their bipartisan congeniality for not appointing a typical blood-gargling fiend.

E: at best.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 6, 2018

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

ilkhan posted:

Ignoring someone is equivalent to murdering someone? If I was on the Senate I would have voted for him, but the prior person in the office wasn't *murdered*.

You are weirdly fascinated with murder decorum.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

ilkhan posted:

There is a difference between a retiring / natural causes judge and a murdered judge. The day a supreme court judge gets murdered and replaced by an opposite thinking judge our democracy *really* will be dead. And the gloves will be off, and the mob will rule. That will be a dark day. Is it possible? Absolutely. But I have to think we haven't sunk that low yet.

Hi, are you new here? If this is, as I suspect, your first day in America, make sure you pick up your copy of “gently caress You And Die Unless You’re Rich.” Think of it as your helpful user’s manual to the country!

Welcome!

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

I’m trying to imagine what the United States will look like with this trend and it’s probably a bizarre Authoritarian-Capitalist-Kleptocracy but some people get really fancy cars, houses and can even afford healthcare.

Basically, Russia.

On the flip side, I do not see Republicans maintaining power - the upcoming Demographic trend in 20-30 years just don’t lead to a Trump-like figure winning an election.

In 20 years, half the population will live in 8 states:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/07/12/in-about-20-years-half-the-population-will-live-in-eight-states/

In other words, 16 senators are going to represent half the population. Demographics aren't going to save us from this horribly broken system of government.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

B B posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/07/12/in-about-20-years-half-the-population-will-live-in-eight-states/

In other words, 16 senators are going to represent half the population. Demographics aren't going to save us from this horribly broken system of government.

I'm really suspicious of "Trends will continue indefinitely" based reporting, especially that far out. For example, one of their Big Population States is projected to be Florida, but South Florida is going to be obliterated by climate change.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm really suspicious of "Trends will continue indefinitely" based reporting, especially that far out. For example, one of their Big Population States is projected to be Florida, but South Florida is going to be obliterated by climate change.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's probably not going to be as bad as the article extrapolates, but we already have three justices confirmed by Senators representing a minority of the population. And it will get worse.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

B B posted:

It's awfully greedy of those states to not share some of their population with people-scarce states.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

qkkl posted:

It's awfully greedy of those states to not share some of their population with people-scarce states.
We would like to let in more people, but the people in the empty states don't want immigrants so welp.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I escaped from CA to the USA, don't need you to try and impose that poo poo on us again.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Demographics will never save us from the GOP because the demographic setup for representation (and the existence of the Senate) is going to keep them in power even if they don't manage to make hispanics 'white' like they did with Irish people after decades of treating them literally the same as African Americans.

ilkhan posted:

I think, I have to think, that if a loony judge was murdered even the Republicans would nominate a Democrat to replace them and vice versa. I may be wrong, but I hope we never have to find out.

:lol:

Cliven Bundy could walk in on the SCOTUS during a hearing, gun down the 4 liberal justices while screaming about blacks and how libs need to be purged and the GOP would have 51+ votes for the 4 arch-conservative replacements before the bodies were even cold. They might put on a show like with Kavanugh's hearing but anyone who thinks the GOP wouldn't be in lock-step the entire time is detached from reality. Hell. A right-winger could murder a conservative justice and the media would fall over themselves to blame Democrats and Black Lives Matter.

If anyone here thinks Kavanugh didn't have 51+ votes from the start, you're a fool. Susan Collins and the rest were firmly in the YES camp and the only reason anyone thinks otherwise is because media loving loves to harp on the 'moderate' poo poo that doesn't actually exist. McCain's only real 'maverick' act was his gently caress you vote on healthcare that he ultimately undid in a later vote anyways.

bloodysabbath posted:

Hi, are you new here? If this is, as I suspect, your first day in America, make sure you pick up your copy of “gently caress You And Die Unless You’re Rich.” Think of it as your helpful user’s manual to the country!

Welcome!

This is nonsense.

It's "gently caress You And Die Unless You’re Rich And White" that they hand out list as a mandatory purchase. :eng101:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah even if the dems gain a permanent majority in the house and never lose the presidency the gop is going to have a permanent majority in the senate and we're stuck with a poo poo court for decades.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I, personally, am eager to see Florida to sink beneath the waves forever.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

My point with demographics is not we should sit idle or that it will eventually make things better but that the it’s going to become increasingly difficult for the Republican Party.

Younger Generations see straight through conmen like Trump and with Hispanic Voters starting to outnumber Whites it won’t work.

Yes there are plenty of examples such as South Africa or Israel however minorities in United States can quite often vote.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tab8715 posted:

My point with demographics is not we should sit idle or that it will eventually make things better but that the it’s going to become increasingly difficult for the Republican Party.

Younger Generations see straight through conmen like Trump and with Hispanic Voters starting to outnumber Whites it won’t work.

Yes there are plenty of examples such as South Africa or Israel however minorities in United States can quite often vote.

Right until enough old white Republicans die off to allow people like Sandoval to make the party give Hispanics the 'white' label, at which point demographic worries go out the window because if they can tap in to FYGMism in the Hispanic community then that's going to shore up their numbers in a lot of places.

And as for minorities being able to vote, if you look at the number of disenfranchised (felon) adults in states like Florida, you can see one of many GOP systems working as intended.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

There’s plenty of voter suppression, gerrymandering and huge population shifts since the Electoral College - which I don’t think has changed at all?

It’d be really weird to see Republicans winning while having massive losses in the popular vote. I wonder how much would be the breaking point.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
:killing:

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Congratulations Justice Kavanuagh! Nice work.

Let justice prevail over bullshit false accusations. Also I hope it doesn’t diminish REAL sexual abuse allegations where a court of law and evidence help heal a victim and put away the guilty.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

Utnayan posted:

Let justice prevail over bullshit false accusations. Also I hope it doesn’t diminish REAL sexual abuse allegations where a court of law and evidence help heal a victim and put away the guilty.

Agreed. Now we can all move on.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Utnayan posted:

We should all be able to appreciate the exoneration of an innocent man.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah even if the dems gain a permanent majority in the house and never lose the presidency the gop is going to have a permanent majority in the senate and we're stuck with a poo poo court for decades.

The 2020 Senate map is actually fairly favorable for Democrats. Opposite of the 2018 map being so harsh.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oh the dems will likely capture the senate then but i meant later on.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
real ironic that the representational system designed to protect slavery is going to virtually re-institute slavery

wait no thats the opposite of ironic

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
So this is basically the end of the SCOTUS as a thing that has any political legitimacy? How much of the constitution would have to be rewritten to get rid of rapist Brett now after the fact?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

doverhog posted:

So this is basically the end of the SCOTUS as a thing that has any political legitimacy? How much of the constitution would have to be rewritten to get rid of rapist Brett now after the fact?

Relatively little if we can charge and arrest him for perjury. He can wear all the robes he wants from prison.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

It’s in the realm of possibility that as more jobs allow telecommuting, people will move away from cities and into the places where the cost of living is low. While Republicans hold the advantage now in these low population states, the low population make them easy to flip, comparatively. There’s 500k people in Wyoming and it’s beautiful there. If I worked for Google in a place like Colorado, the opportunity to move to Wyoming and live like a king with the same salary would be appealing. Same goes for Montana and Utah. It wasn’t that log ago that Colorado was a dusty sleepy state.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Imagine if something happens with Ginsburg while Trump is President.

This will look like a kids birthday party

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Samara posted:

Imagine if something happens with Ginsburg while Trump is President.

This will look like a kids birthday party

it won't matter

the court is permanently in Republican hands now

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I read an article that said that a lot of the things, like abortion being illegal, can be reversed by Congress with legislation. Is that accurate?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

doverhog posted:

I read an article that said that a lot of the things, like abortion being illegal, can be reversed by Congress with legislation. Is that accurate?

Disclaimer: not a lawyer, I don't even live in the US.

The way I understand it is yes. SCOTUS is the highest court in the land, but its sentences are binding in that they simply say "this is what the law actually says" or "this law is illegitimate because it goes against the constitution" or things like that. Congress can, and has in the past, pass laws that directly overturn a SCOTUS sentence, by simply changing the law.

Of course if SCOTUS decides that whoops, gay marriage is actually against the constitution, there's nothing Congress can do except pass a constitutional amendment specifically making gay marriage legal, and good loving luck getting enough state legislatures to sign off on that amendment to make it part of the constitution.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Gloating has begun

https://twitter.com/kebejay/status/1048669114649128960

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

doverhog posted:

Yes. Abortion, and the legal limits able to be placed on abortion, almost entirely flow from court decisions regarding abortion as a private medical act protected under the 14th amendment. The State may place limitations on it in accordance with the State's vested interest in the safety, security, and potential life of its citizens, which is why fetal viability and undue burden tests are now the deciding factors regarding the limits of abortion regulation. If Congress explicitly allowed and defined abortion this would no longer be the case and that law would then be tested against the Court's interpretation of the constitution with the inevitable legal challenges such a law would face.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Mikl posted:

Of course if SCOTUS decides that whoops, gay marriage is actually against the constitution, there's nothing Congress can do except pass a constitutional amendment specifically making gay marriage legal, and good loving luck getting enough state legislatures to sign off on that amendment to make it part of the constitution.
Even if there were such a hypothetical constitutional amendment, SCOTUS can just make up some garbage reason why it doesn't count, like they did in Shelby County v. Holder.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mikl posted:

Disclaimer: not a lawyer, I don't even live in the US.

The way I understand it is yes. SCOTUS is the highest court in the land, but its sentences are binding in that they simply say "this is what the law actually says" or "this law is illegitimate because it goes against the constitution" or things like that. Congress can, and has in the past, pass laws that directly overturn a SCOTUS sentence, by simply changing the law.

Reminder that the SCOTUS gutted the VRA despite the fact that their ruling on the VRA was literally unconstitutional. The only way Congress could overrule the SCOTUS if/when the SCOTUS outlaws abortion would be to pack the courts since that takes much less effort than impeaching one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

How about congress pass a law that says, gently caress the SCOTUS that is no longer a thing? There must be some law somewhere that says that, change that law.