Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I was going to post this but forgot halfway with uploaded page screenshot still open in the tab :effort:. Spooky hack and all but I have no idea how many people still use Draugiem, and the demographics are the last that you’d bully with “Russian world” talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Our internet security infrastructure is a joke.

(I'm sure Russia's is roughly ten thousand times worse, but nobody give enough of a poo poo to mess with it.)

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I'll be a little bummed out if it turns out that this is an actual Russian hack rather than a local election day effort though.

Chemtrail
Dec 29, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I was going to post this but forgot halfway with uploaded page screenshot still open in the tab :effort:. Spooky hack and all but I have no idea how many people still use Draugiem, and the demographics are the last that you’d bully with “Russian world” talk.

As far as I know, only people too clueless to switch to facebook (e.g. old, don't speak english) still use draugiem.

Whoever did this hack, its hard to imagine how this doesn't play in favor of anti-russian sentiment.

Chemtrail fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 6, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

By the way I hope you guys all did cast your votes. I went to my closest station at 7:50am expecting torrent of babushkas but I was the only voter inside.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

We're announcing the identity of the second Skripal suspect on Tuesday, at an event at the Houses of Parliament. Should start at 12:15pm UK time, if everything goes to plan.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Glad to see my home being to true their slovenly, lovely selves with the lowest runout. ("Vēlēšanu iecirkņos Rīgā nobalsojuši 190 280 jeb 34,88%, Vidzemē – 176 611 jeb 45,01%, Latgalē – 69 253 jeb 33,12%, Kurzemē – 79 763 jeb 42,55%, bet Zemgalē – 88 738 jeb 41,52% vēlētāju.")

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Kinda surprised the turnout in Riga is so low, the place near me seemed like it had a good amount of people throughout the day.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Arzachel posted:

Kinda surprised the turnout in Riga is so low, the place near me seemed like it had a good amount of people throughout the day.

It's partially due to them lumping all people voting abroad into Riga.

E: https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/latvija/daugavpili-velesanu-iecirkna-vaditajai-draud-ar-gazes-pistoli-sakts-kriminalprocess.a294999 Hahaha someone is so loving dead.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh you guys also have elections today? They're still counting but the turnout seems to be like 44 so far%

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh you guys also have elections today? They're still counting but the turnout seems to be like 44 so far%

Yeah we have our Olympic (too lazy to figure out proper term for once in a 4 years thing) parliamentary elections today. Turnout as of 16:00, 3 hours before polls close, was estimated to be 40%. To beat the worst turnout in history of the second Latvian independence, which were the previous elections :v:, we need to stay under 58.78% - which may very well happen. The preliminary results should be in at about 3am.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I think it would be nice to live in a civilized country where the elections are held on a weekend or on a declared holiday so more people can vote. But then I look at this and realize maybe those things wouldn't help.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah and then what, sacrifice your personal free time to enable some corrupt assholes to gently caress you over even better? No thanks!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I think it would be nice to live in a civilized country where the elections are held on a weekend or on a declared holiday so more people can vote. But then I look at this and realize maybe those things wouldn't help.

It does help if you look at countries with informed population. Europe has plenty of places with voter turnout of 80%+, if I remember correctly.

E: I found the database on voter turnout stats, and it's basically Easter European nihilism dot JPEG (+ whatever the gently caress is the situation in France). https://www.idea.int/data-tools/question-view/521

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 6, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

cinci zoo sniper posted:

jeb 34,88%
jeb 45,01%
jeb 33,12%
jeb 42,55%
jeb 41,52%

Obligatory:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Anyone got some Twitter exit-polls for Latvia or whatever?

:laffo: This is so good.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I love my degenerate country.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It does help if you look at countries with informed population. Europe has plenty of places with voter turnout of 80%+, if I remember correctly.

E: I found the database on voter turnout stats, and it's basically Easter European nihilism dot JPEG (+ whatever the gently caress is the situation in France). https://www.idea.int/data-tools/question-view/521

lol at Turkey and Belarus.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I love my degenerate country.

That third one from the left has an uh, interesting logo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is the right-most (in the literal sense) one the Ubuntu party or something?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I (genuinely) love logos

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grape posted:

While the logo itself is rather traditional Latvian weaving pattern thing that has roots precluding Christianity in Latvia - a lot of it are symbols of our various pagan deities and such, the party itself, as you guessed are quite literal Nazis ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nacio...4%ABbai/LNNK%22 ) - over the top ancient traditional symbols on logo that is painted in colours of the national flag.

mobby_6kl posted:

Is the right-most (in the literal sense) one the Ubuntu party or something?

Yes, it's Latvian GNU/FOSS Alliance.

Okay, it's a bit better pronounceable party, "LSDSP/KDS/GKL". They are traditional family values kind of Nazi party.

E: So I did lovely effort post in one Discord I hang out about the parties, which is not exactly representative but good enough for foreigners I feel, so you know what the icons are on that list.

quote:

red, saskana - centre-left socialdemocrats
yellow, attistibai par - centre-centre-right liberals (and by centre-centre-right i mean its a coalition of 3 parties where 2 are centre and 1 is centre-right)
latvian flag red, nacionala apvieniba - nazis
black, jauna konservativa partija - alt-right
latvian flag red with milk, kpv lv - right populists
dark green - zzs, centre-right anti-eu green agrarians (yes, green agrarians, that's right)
light green, jauna vienotiba - liberal conservatives, centre-righ

Fun fact, KPV LV had a guy in election runup platforming on forced sterilization of women from families "not in state of wellbeing" (we have a special term for this; dogwhistle for poverty basically).

Coalition talks is going to be bloodbath since first 2 parties and parties 3 through 5 are incompatible with each other in any combination.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 6, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

We've also managed to beat our turnout record by almost 6 percentage points, this election having 52.10% whereas the previous worst was 57.78%.

Chemtrail
Dec 29, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

E: So I did lovely effort post in one Discord I hang out about the parties, which is not exactly representative but good enough for foreigners I feel, so you know what the icons are on that list.

Jaunā konservatīvā partija is not alt right by any definition. Its core is ex anti-corruption investigators.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
What's the party with the symbol of the Pope P ?,
is that like a catholic minority party?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chemtrail posted:

Jaunā konservatīvā partija is not alt right by any definition. Its core is ex anti-corruption investigators.

That's my bad, should've put apostrophes around. My take on them is that they are just a new flavour of right wing conservativism, and the ultimate expectations should be set accordingly.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

skipThings posted:

What's the party with the symbol of the Pope P ?,
is that like a catholic minority party?

Par Alternatīvu, weird syndicalist/anti-fa bunch.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Another fun fact about these elections, the ostensibly pro-Russian (more like pro-business, rather than leaning or explicitly anti-Russian) party is the only major party to support gay marriage.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Par Alternatīvu, weird syndicalist/anti-fa bunch.

Dude.

P stands for Progresīvie, who campaigned on the "we're the real socialdemocrats/real greens" platform. It's real shame that they most likely haven't made it in, as Saskaņa is not exactly socialdemocratic in anything, but name.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tonton Macoute posted:

Dude.

P stands for Progresīvie, who campaigned on the "we're the real socialdemocrats/real greeens platform".

I'll be honest, I spent 5 minutes thinking what is Papal P and where (definitely not Progresīvie, which is Latin text on orange brick). Don't even talk to me about platform of Progressīvie, I'm ready to vomit from it because a guy at my office is on their ballot and he's loud as gently caress about politics.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'll be honest, I spent 5 minutes thinking what is Papal P and where. Don't even talk to me about platform of Progressīvie, I'm ready to vomit from it because a guy at my office is on their ballot and he's loud as gently caress about politics.

Ah, my bad. I missed the Papal bit and rushed to the defense of my vote. Yes, they (well we, don't dox pls) attract some preachy types.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
My take:

Saskaņa - economically center-left, socially centre. Affectionately known as "the Russian party"
Attīstībai par - generic neolibs
Nacionālā apvienība - right wing nationalists
Jaunā konservativa partija - right wing conservatives banging the "corruption is bad!" drum.
Kpv.lv - self serving libertarian edgelords so pretty the closest we have to the alt right
ZZS - the skinsuit of the farmer/green party housing a right-ish party built around an infamous Latvian oligarch.
Jaunā Vienotība - generic neolibs 2: electric boogaloo

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 6, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

^ Agreed, although I'm not that familiar with neoliberalism to throw the label around (also the ZZS dirty underwear). Vienotība's story is really funny however and deserves either that or Операция "Буря в стакане". One thing I'll disagree on is Saskaņa being right wing socially, I am not aware of any meaningful grounds for that.

Tonton Macoute posted:

Ah, my bad. I missed the Papal bit and rushed to the defense of my vote. Yes, they (well we, don't dox pls) attract some preachy types.

Yeah I fully trust you have some adequate people there, but the one guy I know even sans politics can easily come off as quite preachy, so that + seeing blockchain committee on the website and becoming aware of some off-colour comments on immigration has left me with rather interesting opinion of the party and the platform. In general, I would probably vote them, but circumstances were the perfect storm of how not to compel me, a grumpy Latgalian.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 6, 2018

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

^ Agreed, although I'm not that familiar with neoliberalism to throw the label around (also the ZZS dirty underwear). Vienotība's story is really funny however and deserves either that or Операция "Буря в стакане". One thing I'll disagree on is Saskaņa being right wing socially, I am not aware of any meaningful grounds for that.

Saskaņas centrs used to push hard against same sex marriage a couple years ago and sponsored anti-drug rally stuff around the spaisa scare. I take your word on the former not being true anymore and you're right they're probably about the same on social policies as the centrist parties.

Tonton Macoute posted:

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

I know that they attract the preachy college dude marxist crowd but it's probably the first time I've gone to vote for a party that I fully support.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 6, 2018

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Grape posted:

I am curious about the leftmost one of those with 0.4%.

Edit: OK, so there is a reason that looks like something out of Keiserreich, but I am still confused by the Chi-Ro similarity.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 6, 2018

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think Jūlija Stepaņenko being on an anti-gay crusade to the extent where actual Nazis (Elita Veidemane and such) cheer her on could contribute there.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah I fully trust you have some adequate people there, but the one guy I know even sans politics can easily come off as quite preachy, so that + seeing blockchain committee on the website and becoming aware of some off-colour comments on immigration has left me with rather interesting opinion of the party and the platform. In general, I would probably vote them, but circumstances were the perfect storm of how not to compel me, a grumpy Latgalian.

Yeah. There's some internal drama around the blockchain group. Not sure what that's about.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

jeb 45,01%, Latgalē – 69 253 jeb 33,12%, Kurzemē – 79 763 jeb 42,55%, bet Zemgalē – 88 738 jeb 41,52% vēlētāju.")
Nice results for Jeb!

E:

I mean

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 6, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I see about Saskaņa and yeah, thank you guys for clarifications. I hope not to be wrong for thinking that their current stance on social issues has some, maybe reformed, merit to it, even on more contentious issues such as gay marriage. It’s perhaps a step too far for Latvian society as is, but I want to be optimistic at least about something social and I’d bet money that non-traditional relationships are easier attainable in our cultural and political climate than marijuana legalisation, or even much more benign substance abuse decriminalisation.

The story with blockchain group is simple, the guy chairing it is a gigantic money bag for the party so they can’t afford to call him out for it.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Nice results for Jeb!

Hahah, jeb means “in other words” in Latvian.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

With 1076 or 1078 polling stations accounted, turnout is at a better, but still record-low 54.06%.

Also Latvian Radio experts are saying that more parties in parliament will promote more debates. :thunk: Can I get some of that expert salary too, perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Par Alternativu has the best logo ever, it looks like it was stolen from a Paradox LP