Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

business hammocks posted:

He said the holocaust wasnt all bad because it delivered valuable medical knowledge, like what happens when you sew children together (they die) or how to explode babies in a pressure chamber.

Later he corrected himself that he should have picked a better example, like what happened to Anne Frank.

Trending Gamer 2016, everyone. I can't loving wait which literal nazi they'll pick this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Its really weird how all this stuff about how the nazis were good, actually, turns out to be wrong! Why does this keep happening to me?!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kibayasu posted:

Its really weird how all this stuff about how the nazis were good, actually, turns out to be wrong! Why does this keep happening to me?!

The whole Nazi efficiency and super-science bullshit got started really early, didn't it?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
lol there's always a dril tweet for the occasion isn't there

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
If you had been wondering what happens when you inject gasoline into people, well we have good news!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think people get it mixed up with Japan's Unit 731 who apparently got some useful scientific data from their atrocities, the Nazis was just murder and torture with nowhere near enough scientific rigor to make their documentation anything more than a murderboner diary.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I mean "the west" did recruit a bunch of german scientists but uh, not the mengele kind?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think people get it mixed up with Japan's Unit 731 who apparently got some useful scientific data from their atrocities, the Nazis was just murder and torture with nowhere near enough scientific rigor to make their documentation anything more than a murderboner diary.

It would still be beyond the pale to go all "da-hyuck! guess the Japanese murder lab was a wash!"

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I think a lot of people get their ideas about how science works from pop-cultural depictions of scientists, who usually either 1) make or do weird or cool stuff to prove they can or 2) get laughed out of the academy for their oddball theories that end up getting vindicated. It's rare to see fictional depictions of scientists actually practicing anything like the scientific method. So the Mengele "let's do sadistic poo poo to people and see what happens" method seems to be par for the course.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
i'm pretty sure noted gamer boogie got most of his nazi superscience info from wolfenstein.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Pththya-lyi posted:

I think a lot of people get their ideas about how science works from pop-cultural depictions of scientists, who usually either 1) make or do weird or cool stuff to prove they can or 2) get laughed out of the academy for their oddball theories that end up getting vindicated. It's rare to see fictional depictions of scientists actually practicing anything like the scientific method. So the Mengele "let's do sadistic poo poo to people and see what happens" method seems to be par for the course.

actual science means endless hours in a lab doing tests over and over until something does what you want it to do and then doing that over and over again to make sure it wasn't a coincidence

it's why when like nobel prize winners get asked if they saw the applications of their stuff coming they answer like "uh no I just like looking at stuff in a microscope" or "I just enjoy refracting and measuring light through prisms"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

By good medical knowledge, he must surely mean 'what happens to babies who are unable to close their fists when we stick a needle through their middle finger and into their palm'.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Boogie.... You're the baddie.

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's been a long time since I watched the particular documentary on this where I got most of the detail, but if I remember it right they did a lot of experiments at Dachau related to hypothermia from immersion in cold water, mostly to do with recovering pilots shot down over the sea. There was a lot of debate about using the data, which appeared to be accurate. Most of those experiments have since been replicated with volunteers under an ethically and scientifically rigorous framework, which basically underlines your point. It was wanton torture, and anyone who isn't Nazi or a bloated gamer shut-in can figure out that you do not, in fact, have to hand it to the Nazis. But in suspect our friend Boogie's capacity for research doesn't extend beyond browsing Reddit.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole Nazi efficiency and super-science bullshit got started really early, didn't it?

Literally everyone involved pushed this narrative, either to explain how they got beaten so quickly or why they were so awesome for beating Germany.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Also the Germans did deploy a bunch of super-advanced tech towards the end of the war including the first jet fighters, night vision equipment, and ballistic missiles.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
brilliant nazi super-scientists came up with breakthroughs such as "what if instead of many small tanks we made one big tank"

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Also the Germans did deploy a bunch of super-advanced tech towards the end of the war including the first jet fighters, night vision equipment, and ballistic missiles.

and so did the soviets, the thoroughly imperialist japanese, and the americans a couple years later when they felt existentially threatened

there is no nazi tech advantage, just a 'maybe this program is important enough to not weigh down with dirigisme and reminding a general of his days in the field' tech advantage, and the a-bomb should provide all the punctuation that thesis needs

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

And none of that stuff did anything because Germany didn't have infrastructure, supply lines or fuel

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 26 days!)

Nazis had pretty good engineers but bad science. The theoretical stuff is where most of the magic really happens, and they had already cut out entire fields of scientific research for being "Jewish Science." Just straight up didn't believe in relativity because Einstein was a Jew.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Nazis had pretty good engineers but bad science. The theoretical stuff is where most of the magic really happens, and they had already cut out entire fields of scientific research for being "Jewish Science." Just straight up didn't believe in relativity because Einstein was a Jew.

yeah I didn't know, but the only reason Einstein went into theoretical physics was because the more practical applications were reserved for aryans.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tetracube posted:

brilliant nazi super-scientists came up with breakthroughs such as "what if instead of many small tanks we made one big tank"

Railroad artillery pieces are not tanks :argh:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Holocaust did kill the burgeoning field of eugenics by jumping straight to its natural conclusion. Which is kind of curious, because it did nothing to discourage world leaders from continuing to commit genocide.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It just got rid of the fig leaf of justification, that's all :shrug:

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
the nazis had an impeccable health and safety record and contrary to the well known "joke" people very seldomly fell from guard towers.

and really who are we to question the medicinal value of injecting a gallon of sump oil into some jewish chick's eyesocket? now who else is loving PSYCHED for cyberpunk 2077?

*hell march starts playing and a little animated .gif hitler frog marches across the screen*

whoa big thanks to riefenstahl1488 for the $200 donation! much appreciated, really love you guys :3

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

my favorite moment of boogie is when he cried at some game awards because the gaming industry changed his life

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 26 days!)

Fried Watermelon posted:

my favorite moment of boogie is when he cried at some game awards because the gaming industry changed his life

mine is when he cried because people disagreed with him and the feminist frequency lady had to console him

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
boogie, not unlike any other online centrist, is a huge piece of poo poo. he just has the decency to let us watch him cry and whine when he gets called on his rampant whataboutism.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Cthulu Carl posted:

Railroad artillery pieces are not tanks :argh:

If it looks like a tank and shoots like a tank

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
tanks can go sideways you idiot.

e:
i was thinking of crabs

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Laura is not content to simply crow about Kavanaughs confirmation, but helpfully corrects a stupid liberals grammar.

https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/1048602441804070913

Which didnt need correcting.

https://twitter.com/chicksonright/status/1048605146027057152

NO RETREAT NO SURRENDER

https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/1048618149740826625

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Soviets had the right idea when it came to looting Germany tbh. God drat America

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

rampant whataboutism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOBWVyCQUr4

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

you can thank america for rehabilitating literal nazis

you can then thank the subsequent generation of germans for re condemning their ancestors for their crimes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

they also hosed up in the engineering sections as well because the top brass always wanted some showy wonder weapon that could do everything. like how they kept trying to make 4 engine bombers that could also dive bomb and other poo poo. basically picture Pentagon Wars on a much grander scale.

also while the tiger was strong it also was gas guzzling poo poo house. it was to heavy to be useful and because it was "custom German Craftmenship with super delicate and unique parts" if it broke down, it was hosed.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 04:13 on Oct 7, 2018

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
regarding 9volts tweet thread, having to nuke japan was unfortunate but it has to be done to destroy japanese fascism

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Mary Annette posted:

Laura is not content to simply crow about Kavanaughs confirmation, but helpfully corrects a stupid liberals grammar.

https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/1048602441804070913

Which didnt need correcting.

https://twitter.com/chicksonright/status/1048605146027057152

NO RETREAT NO SURRENDER

https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/1048618149740826625

I'm no longer disappointed that she hasn't attempted suicide yet lmao

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Literally Laura Loomer

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm a few pages late to wogchat but its shameful nobody posted this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn1FP6Rtf7Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sex deprived alt-right douchebag Paul Joseph Watson now claims love is a "mental illness."

What is so sinister about this is he knows most of his audience comprises of white males ages 15-30 in flyover shitholes who are hopelessly hosed economically and socially. He's telling an audience with nothing to lose that love is a mental illness because he has problems getting laid. That is some loving evil poo poo.