Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I probably won't see that astronaut Oscar bait movie Ryan Gosling is in but I am amused to hear that Internet wingnuts and various right-wing politicians are upset that Chazelle has apparently excluded the scene where Armstrong puts up the American flag on the moon and are planning to protest by... watching Apollo 13 instead.

It has been an odd year for Ron Howard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
They know we don't own the moon, right?

Of course not, what am I thinking.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Beachcomber posted:

They know we don't own the moon, right?

Of course not, what am I thinking.

We were there first, we put a flag there, clearly it is ours

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Man, those people are going to freak the gently caress out when the Chinese land on the moon in the next decade.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Len posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9W1zTEuKLY

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Anyone who doesn't know what this is without clicking is doing themselves a disservice.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this is ten pages back but lmao that it took like ten movies to make them look like actual transformers.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Looks like they are taking the Fast Five approach and not getting good until the 5th movie

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VISOBAiYNas

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

actual transformers

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you know what i mean stupid.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

you know what i mean stupid.

they do look stupid now, yes

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Brother Entropy posted:

they do look stupid now, yes

They looked stupid before, so at best it’s a lateral move

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

I probably won't see that astronaut Oscar bait movie Ryan Gosling is in but I am amused to hear that Internet wingnuts and various right-wing politicians are upset that Chazelle has apparently excluded the scene where Armstrong puts up the American flag on the moon and are planning to protest by... watching Apollo 13 instead.

It has been an odd year for Ron Howard.

It owns, the exact same crowd that would tell you in earnest that the moon landings were faked are now pretending to be mad about this.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lol that Americans have so much freedom relative to actual authoritarian governments like china that they have no choice but to break off into pockets of conspiracy theory self ownage

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I honestly don't know that Americans have "so much freedom" compared to the Chinese.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Certain segments of America are so incestuously crazed at this point that even while controlling the entire government they had to create new conspiracy theories about how they secretly aren't in charge and instead child diddlers are but Trump is totally going to arrest everyone any day now

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I honestly don't know that Americans have "so much freedom" compared to the Chinese.

We have a smorgasbord of vpns that we don't need. Yet

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

Certain segments of America are so incestuously crazed at this point that even while controlling the entire government they had to create new conspiracy theories about how they secretly aren't in charge and instead child diddlers are but Trump is totally going to arrest everyone any day now

Well, they're half right that the kiddie diddlers are in charge, just not the party they're think it is.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The internet while amazing has also allowed a few pockets of craziness to fester and grow gaining some legitimacy by number of people then those people trying to normalize it in the “real” world.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

Looks like they are taking the Fast Five approach and not getting good until the 5th movie

I'm glad you are ignoring the actual fifth movie, i'd like to forget I ever saw it myself

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Wandle Cax posted:

I'm glad you are ignoring the actual fifth movie, i'd like to forget I ever saw it myself

What

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tars Tarkas posted:

It's not just Americans and it's not just at this point. Thinking that The Others are weak, immoral, subhuman, and brainless but simultaneously believing that they are an organized, cunning, and all-powerful existential threat is what politicians have been tapping into for forever. You, the Good People, have to give us even more power so we can finally expunge (((The Bad People))) from society.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This is the sixth transformers movie.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Lobok posted:

It's not just Americans and it's not just at this point. Thinking that The Others are weak, immoral, subhuman, and brainless but simultaneously believing that they are an organized, cunning, and all-powerful existential threat is what politicians have been tapping into for forever. You, the Good People, have to give us even more power so we can finally expunge (((The Bad People))) from society.

:umberto: but agreed

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Transformers: The Last Knight, one of the most incomprehensible atrocities ever committed to film. Especially baffling for changing aspect ratios every few seconds with no apparent rhyme or reason

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

Well, they're half right that the kiddie diddlers are in charge, just not the party they're think it is.

It took like two years for Chapo Trap House to go from laughing at pizzagaters to having every other episode of their show inevitably collapse into a crazed rant about how a cabal of pedophile murderers run everything, only they acknowledge that it sounds crazy and they bury it in True Detective references so it's cool and sane now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Guy Mann posted:

It took like two years for Chapo Trap House to go from laughing at pizzagaters to having every other episode of their show inevitably collapse into a crazed rant about how a cabal of pedophile murderers run everything, only they acknowledge that it sounds crazy and they bury it in True Detective references so it's cool and sane now.

Yeah the truths pretty crazy.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean Pizzagate is bullshit but I wouldn't be at all surprised if at least 25% of the upper class were pedophiles. The remaining 75% are probably literal undead vampires.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I mean Pizzagate is bullshit but I wouldn't be at all surprised if at least 25% of the upper class were pedophiles. The remaining 75% are probably literal undead vampires.

Hilary Clinton at one point basically owned slaves. Never underestimate what they are capable of, just don’t put trust in random places being the key

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 7, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Where the conspiracy theorists get it wrong is thinking there has to be an underlying organisation for the wealthy and powerful to do evil things.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Where the conspiracy theorists get it wrong is thinking there has to be an underlying organisation for the wealthy and powerful to do evil things.

Its called the government

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is ten pages back but lmao that it took like ten movies to make them look like actual transformers.
transformers aren't real

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Pretty much all of Pizzagate was projection anyway, both from the chans which started the thing and the people they're supporting, the Republican Party.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It sounds to me that someone is taking the lessons of the MCU to heart: people respond to an adapted property more favorably if it actually looks like the thing you're adapting. Like, use the original design as a starting point to detail out or evolve from instead of thinking you're better than the original creative team and putting your own spin on the IP (I'm still sore about Ghost In The Shell, but that could apply to Bryan Singer's "yellow outfits are stupid" X-Men, the "made of razors" Bayformers designs, etc.)

Theoretically, Bumblebee isn't out, yet, and we haven't seen how it'll perform compared to the Bay Transformers movies.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maybe the Transformers looking like the original versions in Bumblebee is just a transparent attempt by Hasbro to market non-movie toys to people who watch the movies. Because those Cybertron flashbacks Transformers looks a lot like the upcoming non-movie toys they are selling next year. Meanwhile, they are still making new Transformers with the aesthetics of the Michael Bay movies.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Punkin Spunkin posted:

transformers aren't real

It looks like the toys they had when they were kids, which were also ugly and dumb simply by wont of making a robot that could fold down into a reasonable facsimile of a car/gun/boombox/etc but they had it when they were children so it's objectively good and cool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Young Freud posted:

Pretty much all of Pizzagate was projection anyway, both from the chans which started the thing and the people they're supporting, the Republican Party.

It sounds to me that someone is taking the lessons of the MCU to heart: people respond to an adapted property more favorably if it actually looks like the thing you're adapting. Like, use the original design as a starting point to detail out or evolve from instead of thinking you're better than the original creative team and putting your own spin on the IP (I'm still sore about Ghost In The Shell, but that could apply to Bryan Singer's "yellow outfits are stupid" X-Men, the "made of razors" Bayformers designs, etc.)

Theoretically, Bumblebee isn't out, yet, and we haven't seen how it'll perform compared to the Bay Transformers movies.

See also Venom, which probably would be a lot less well received if it hadn't gotten the comics look down solid.

Doesn't matter if you think it's dumb nerd poo poo no one should care about, if it was then you wouldn't be making a blockbuster movie out of it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Someone who saw Venom mind summarizing what kind of mess it is?

I remember people being really excited for Spiderman 3 because of Venom. Heh.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Casimir Radon posted:

Someone who saw Venom mind summarizing what kind of mess it is?

I remember people being really excited for Spiderman 3 because of Venom. Heh.

It really isn't a mess. It's just more buddy-comedy than body horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Venom is fun! The only actual characters are Eddie and the symbiote but there's a great buddy-cop/romance dynamic.